Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Don't invite people to games when you don't actually like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gridlocked posted:

Theres a reason I avoid playing video games with him now days.
I'm sure your game will go great.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Crotch posted:

I'm sure your game will go great.

Yeah I get it. I'll put my foot down.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

AlphaDog posted:

Doesn't seem too bad given that you're giving up doing anything else from the list to get it, but yeah, I missed that.

Personally, I think the answer is to change it from DEALING damage into TAKING damage. Wrap it up in more flowery natural language or fuckin' whatever, but instead of making it "I still hurt you," make it "you still got hurt," and put the onus of the damage on the one suffering it rather then dealing it - think about how saving throws puts the onus on the defender rather then the attacker; it's kinda like that.

"Your give a massive, hammering blow, that leaves little to no room to defend against without suffering in turn. If your attack misses, the target still takes x damage."

By not making it "you deal," you completely sidestep the inevitable worries about "but what about poisons" and etc, etc, etc. Instead, you change it from "I always hurt you" to "the very act of defending against me is painful." It sidesteps all the worries about poisons or feat additions to damage on a hit or etc etc whatever, because you aren't hitting them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yes! That's a great approach!

Why not make it an actual save effect though?

You give a massive, hammering blow that leaves no room to defend against without suffering in turn. The target makes a CON save. If they fail, they suffer the full effect of being hit by your melee weapon attack. If they pass, they take <x> damage.

e: I wonder if you could do something cool with Fighters (specifically Fighters) by switching some of their attacks from attacker rolls d20 to defender saves. Take the "fighters are the best at fighting" thing at face value and show that in the mechanics by having one of their attacks each round always hitting unless the defender does something to actively avoid it. The rest are normal attacks.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 12, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AlphaDog posted:

I wonder if you could do something cool with Fighters (specifically Fighters) by switching some of their attacks from attacker rolls d20 to defender saves. Take the "fighters are the best at fighting" thing at face value and show that in the mechanics by having one of their attacks each round always hitting unless the defender does something to actively avoid it. The rest are normal attacks.
It'd take some playtesting, but that's pretty cool as an idea. Let the poor fighters have something nice.

I'm getting some old internet friends into a 5e game, and we've come into the concept of them all being exiles/outcasts crashing a high-class party for their own reasons. The party is...

Goro, Gnoll Paladin of the God of Revelry: Got really, really drunk after a raid, and left behind by his raiding party. When he woke up, he swore himself to any god that would cure his hangover... and one of them took him up on the offer. He's coming to the party ostensibly as security, but mostly just because there's free food and booze.
Lucy, Halfling/Tiefling ('Helfling') Wild Magic Sorceress: Borne to two poor hapless upper class halfling parents who have no idea how to handle this demon child. Got loose from her babysitter pretty much immediately, is now setting things on fire.
Ghari, Kobold Ranger: Was supposed to be a chieftain, but the tribe (and many others) was taken over by a dragon collecting followers. Blames the humans, has snuck in to loot the place, because nobody would ever expect just one kobold.

We haven't even played yet and I already love this group.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

e: I wonder if you could do something cool with Fighters (specifically Fighters) by switching some of their attacks from attacker rolls d20 to defender saves. Take the "fighters are the best at fighting" thing at face value and show that in the mechanics by having one of their attacks each round always hitting unless the defender does something to actively avoid it. The rest are normal attacks.

Rain of Steel is a 3rd tier martial exploit from Magil Zeals Warriors of Myth and Legend and a 5th tier maneuver from Norts Martial Maneuvers:

quote:

Rain of Steel:
As a bonus action you can expend a superiority die to gain the following concentration effect lasting for a minute: you swing and strike at nearby foes near continuously. Any foe near you, even one that you don’t directly target, is in danger of being hit by a back swing or a stray strike. For the duration, whenever a hostile creature begins its turn within reach of your weapon, it must make a Dexterity saving throw or take two of your weapons dice of damage. It takes half as much damage on a successful saving throw.

It's a good idea to take that high level effect and work backwards to create a lower tier lesser maneuver that grows into Rain of Steel.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Basic rain of steel would be STR mod, upgrafing to 1[W]+STR, then 2[W]+STR

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So my wife and I are going to start playing D&D 5e with a group soon. I played back in 2nd edition and she's never played. So far, I'm really enjoying the streamlining of systems and abilities.

So in terms of character sheets and such, what would you all recommend? Should we just print out the ones that came with the players manual I picked up? Also, are the books cheaper in PDF format? Because I wouldn't mind picking a few other things up, but 50 bucks a pop for books seems a bit ouch.

Is there a decent phone app to use as well?

Basically she's brand new, and I'm just now getting into it again almost 20 years later, so some resources would be swell. I read the OP but it has "updates" from like 2016 so I don't know how relevant or up to date the links there are.

Thanks goons!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Saxophone posted:

So my wife and I are going to start playing D&D 5e with a group soon. I played back in 2nd edition and she's never played. So far, I'm really enjoying the streamlining of systems and abilities.

So in terms of character sheets and such, what would you all recommend? Should we just print out the ones that came with the players manual I picked up? Also, are the books cheaper in PDF format? Because I wouldn't mind picking a few other things up, but 50 bucks a pop for books seems a bit ouch.

Is there a decent phone app to use as well?

Basically she's brand new, and I'm just now getting into it again almost 20 years later, so some resources would be swell. I read the OP but it has "updates" from like 2016 so I don't know how relevant or up to date the links there are.

Thanks goons!
Fifth Edition Character Sheet and The Spellbook are my go to Android apps.

Also character creation is full of newbie traps and some concepts just don't work so be prepared to scrap a cool and intuitive seeming concept if it just doesn't work mechanically.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The success of Colville's kickstarter is probably more attributable to cultivating a fanbase more than anything else. He has a blog, a video series, and palled around with a lot of otherwise big names in TRPGs (as big as those names get, anyway). You hit critical mass, and then you make a "book deal" that's guaranteed to sell like hotcakes just out of brand loyalty.

I'm not saying this necessarily to impugn on his writing chops*, but that's really a huge step to making a successful kickstarter: spend the next year or so building hype and winning-over fans so that it's funded as soon as you launch it.

______

* I do agree with the phrase "bad design apologist", on top of the fact that a lot of "domain management" supplements already exist

Yeah.

The biggest card game kickstarter of all time was exploding kittens, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t due to the quality of the game design.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

The biggest card game kickstarter of all time was exploding kittens, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t due to the quality of the game design.
The thing is Domain Rulership rules for D&d is something really big for a lot of obsessive people who watch too much game of throne and the only recent crunchy thing available on the market to fill that need is Adventurer, Conqueror, King, an OSR game literally owned by the alt-Right guy producing Milo Yiannopoulos so anyone offering a kickstarter for a game like that fill that niche but who didn't rape 30 women and killed kitties on video is literally going to get mad money.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Splicer posted:

Fifth Edition Character Sheet and The Spellbook are my go to Android apps.

Also character creation is full of newbie traps and some concepts just don't work so be prepared to scrap a cool and intuitive seeming concept if it just doesn't work mechanically.

Awesome, I will check those out for sure.

So if you don't mind, could you deliver into some examples of those kinds of newbie traps? I don't want to power game, but I'd also like her first D&D experience to be a good one. She's leaning toward a magic user of some type if it helps. I'm probably going bard or Monk.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I had a pretty good moment in a session last night. I'm a bard with a black metal angle and this deranged druid ambushed us with little tree things. I did unearthly chorus and nailed a roll to turn him friendly, he went from "you just die!" To "this track rules what is it?" And the party sauntered by.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Toplowtech posted:

The thing is Domain Rulership rules for D&d is something really big for a lot of obsessive people who watch too much game of throne and the only recent crunchy thing available on the market to fill that need is Adventurer, Conqueror, King, an OSR game literally owned by the alt-Right guy producing Milo Yiannopoulos so anyone offering a kickstarter for a game like that fill that niche but who didn't rape 30 women and killed kitties on video is literally going to get mad money.

I’m not sure the audience of people who want these sort of rules, and realize and care that the ACKS guy is a douchebag is very large. I was under the impression that that audience was about a dozen people including myself.

Now there may be a lot of people who want these rules and don’t know that ACKS exists, and if so I’m glad of it. Whatever this rules set looks like it’ll be infinitely more popular than ACKS.

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

DalaranJ posted:

I’m not sure the audience of people who want these sort of rules, and realize and care that the ACKS guy is a douchebag is very large. I was under the impression that that audience was about a dozen people including myself.

Now there may be a lot of people who want these rules and don’t know that ACKS exists, and if so I’m glad of it. Whatever this rules set looks like it’ll be infinitely more popular than ACKS.

I'd consider myself to be in that latter audience -- the parts of Colville's video that basically sound like "this isn't the Stronghold Builder's Guide from 3.0, it's not about buying castle pieces for 3000gp apiece, it's instead about how to actually run a game where it makes sense that your PCs own land and such" sounds cool to me, I didn't know about ACKS before now (or maybe I saw something about it once and forgot about it?), and the Milo association makes me immediately want to steer clear of that noise.

I really like the idea of D&D games where the PC group gets a keep or something somewhere during Paragon tier -- in most of the games that I've played where that happens, the base management was mostly handwaved or a series of basic choices like a Bioware RPG ("do you want your castle to be [MILITARY] or [TRADE] focused?", that sort of thing). And it worked out, but that's because it allowed the games to still mostly be about the heroes going out and adventuring most/all of the time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Toplowtech posted:

wow I guess vaguebooking is even lamer when the people being complained about are internet randos and not people you know

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

wow I guess vaguebooking is even lamer when the people being complained about are internet randos and not people you know
Sadly when you suggest to play a game you got on a humble thing to a table those days people Google about it. :saddowns:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 12, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Saxophone posted:

Awesome, I will check those out for sure.

So if you don't mind, could you deliver into some examples of those kinds of newbie traps? I don't want to power game, but I'd also like her first D&D experience to be a good one. She's leaning toward a magic user of some type if it helps. I'm probably going bard or Monk.
You want to start with 16 in your hitting things stat (or magic stat in the case of a magic user), so outside of some really niche builds you're going to want to choose a race with a +1 or 2 to the stats your class needs or a class which needs the stats your race gets. Either direction is fine.

Monks are very ability score sensitive. You need Dex, Wis, and Con in that order. Strength, Int, and Charisma do nothing for your class so pick one and dump it. Way of the Four Elements is a bad archetype, don't take it. After that there's weird optimisey stuff you can do but that's all you need to do to Not Suck (tm)

Spellcasters are all pretty great, and Bard is the king of 5e so she's good there. The important scores are Dex, Cha, and Consitution. Which is more important out of Dex vs Cha is down to whether she wants to be a spelly bard or a stabby bard more. If she can start with both at 16 then it will be really hard to go wrong.

If she wants some mild fiddlyness then grabbing a level of Hexblade Warlock will let her use Charisma for stabbing AND spellcasting, meaning she can leave her dex at 14 and wear medium armour and then just roll around being charming and murdersome while also being loaded down with spells, but that's very optional, I just love one stat builds personally.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 12, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Nash posted:

I had to deal in my first dm gig with the party splitting up. Three headed to the goblin cave and two others took the wagon into town. The three were going to try and clear the whole cave while the others were in town.

This sounded incredibly boring for the other two so I switched focus to them. After returning the cart to Barthen, they promptly headed for a tavern. The player who previously said he wanted to “torpedo the game” wanted to try and gamble at a table of card players.

I had the old men playing cards tell the player to gently caress off because it was a private game. The guy puts down a gold piece and is still promptly told to gently caress off. He rolls a 1 on a sleight of hand check to steal some money on the table. I told him to take one point of damage as an old man at the table puts a knife through his hand.

At this point they finally decided to head back to the cave. I was not prepared for a split up group as a first time DM.

Unfortunately, there is a certain class of player who takes being told "no" by a NPC as a signal to get even more aggressive -- clearly there must be something valuable here or the DM wouldn't be trying to block me from it!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nash posted:

I had to deal in my first dm gig with the party splitting up. Three headed to the goblin cave and two others took the wagon into town. The three were going to try and clear the whole cave while the others were in town.

This sounded incredibly boring for the other two so I switched focus to them. After returning the cart to Barthen, they promptly headed for a tavern. The player who previously said he wanted to “torpedo the game” wanted to try and gamble at a table of card players.

He literally pulled the "Dungeon? Nah, I'm going to the pub!" thing?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 12, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

AlphaDog posted:

He literally pulled the "Dungeon? Nah, I'm going to the pub!" thing?

This is when you just calmly tell them "your character can go to the pub, but everyone else will go on the adventure we planned. You're welcome to stick around and watch, or go home, but we won't be running two instances at once"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I highly suggest Elf DexBarb and that you tey to tame the wolves.

This is high quality advice.

Edit: gently caress guy's please help I've become addicted to multiclassing.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 13, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toplowtech posted:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ck2 table top game when is the real question for the future of Kingmaker campaigns.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, this is in my queue, but I’m not sure how tied it is to the Labyrinth Lord stuff.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Saxophone posted:

Aside from what Splicer mentioned, you want at least 14 Constitution - it's the survivability tax stat, and for a spellcaster taking damage means taking Consitution saves to maintain Concentration. And while on the subject of stats, use point buy if at all possible. Stat rolling can really easily screw you over.

Spellcasters tend to be a bit iffy on the lower levels, depending on the DMs pacing regarding encounters, due to their low number of spell slots. Expect to attack using your unlimited-use cantrips a lot, so pick at least a good one for that (in Bard's case they only get Vicious Mockery, Wizards and Sorcerers have the d10 Firebolt, Warlocks Eldritch Blast, and Cleric/Druid have a number of options or can just attack with weapons). On the other hand, low level casters get to use Sleep, which can end encounters all by itself, so I'm not saying they're weak - they're just low stamina.

Note that while a spellcaster with a (technically) full spell level progression, Warlocks are functionally more like an archer that fires magic bolts instead of arrows using Eldritch Blast. Their spellcasting is secondary and extremely reliant on how the DM handles short rests. Also Pact of the Blade kind of sucks, beware.

For Bards and other spellcasters with healing options, in-combat healing is actually a bad use of your Action. Get the Healing Word spell, which can be cast as a Bonus Action at range, and is thus excellent for picking back up people that go down. And in keeping with how combat healing is kind of bad, Cleric is not a healbot: it's an off-tank facewrecker.

Moon Druid gets to turn into a Brown Bear at level 2. That's all you need to know about that class.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, this is in my queue, but I’m not sure how tied it is to the Labyrinth Lord stuff.

It seems pretty easy to convert because it uses labyrinth lord rules in relative terms (e.g. a "a unit uses the same stats as a regular creature but abstract this part"). The domain management stuff is its own system so you should in theory be able to staple it on to 5e though I'm not sure how the gold amounts work out.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Holy crap well now I know why my buddy gives the chance for stuff like a Dwarven Thrower at Level 3.

We had four Demiliches thrown at our party last night. Thankfully the Paladin was a smite-machine.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Basic rain of steel would be STR mod, upgrafing to 1[W]+STR, then 2[W]+STR

Yes! That's a good fit for an area of effect maneuver. So doing that by tiers / levels could be:

Tier 3: Spitting Steel - Str modifier dmg - use bonus action / turn - superiority die roll = number of turns (non consecutive is fine)
Tier 4: Rain of Steel - 1[W]+Str - use bonus action / turn - superiority die roll = number of turns.
Tier 5: Storm of Steel - 2[W]+Str - concentration / 1 minute duration.

There should also be a single target save or damage maneuver, ideally it should combine with a move combo so it becomes an area of effect affecting a line.

Nickoten posted:

Cleave: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, a creature or object you choose within five feet of the target that you attacked also takes damage equal to your Strength modifier. [This way, you only cleave with weapons or your unarmed strike, and you can break a table or something in addition to hitting an enemy. I don't think you gain much rules-wise from adding that the target has to be next to both the enemy and you].

Reaping Strike: Make a melee weapon attack. If it misses, you deal damage equal to half your Strength modifier. If you're using a weapon with the two-handed property, you instead deal damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Covering Attack: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage dice an additional time and add the result to your damage [I used the Brutal Critical/Savage Attacks wording here], and any ally of yours that is adjacent to the target may immediately move 10 feet.

Passing Attack: Make a melee weapon attack against a creature. If it hits, you may immediately move 5 feet. Whether or not you move, you may make an additional melee attack with advantage against a different creature of your choice.

Steel Serpent Strike: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, roll your weapon damage dice an additional time and add the result to your damage. Also, the target's speed is reduced by half and it cannot use the Disengage action until the end of your next turn.

Brute Strike: Make a melee weapon attack. If it hits, roll your roll your weapon damage dice two additional times and add the result to your damage. If it misses, you can still use this attack again.

Maybe I'm getting caught up in verisimilitude, but I like maneuvers being tied to weapon damage types and properties. It makes it easier to visualize what the attack does when you know what the weapon does.

It also adds a layer of specialization such that a fighter could learn a maneuver to get the most out of a powerful magic weapon, for example. That's pretty cool from a narrative point of view.

eg:
Cleave: Slashing weapons only. (how do you cleave with a rapier anyway?) Bonus if using two handed weapon or heavy.
Brute Strike: Bludgeoning only. Bonus if using two handed weapon or heavy.
Steel serpent Strike: Advantage with piercing weapons. Bonus if using two handed or heavy.
Passing Attack: Bonus if using a light weapon.
Covering Attack: Two handed only. Bonus if using heavy.

Taran posted:

I really like the idea of D&D games where the PC group gets a keep or something somewhere during Paragon tier -- in most of the games that I've played where that happens, the base management was mostly handwaved or a series of basic choices like a Bioware RPG ("do you want your castle to be [MILITARY] or [TRADE] focused?", that sort of thing). And it worked out, but that's because it allowed the games to still mostly be about the heroes going out and adventuring most/all of the time.

Same. I'm also interested in good mass combat rules. I liked Colville's videos on RPG politics and conflict so I'm hoping he brings all that to designing Strongholds. Strongholds and Faerie Fire look very promising.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

I had a pretty good moment in a session last night. I'm a bard with a black metal angle and this deranged druid ambushed us with little tree things. I did unearthly chorus and nailed a roll to turn him friendly, he went from "you just die!" To "this track rules what is it?" And the party sauntered by.

How do you make the gimmick work? I I'd thought about doing a Valor Bard/Bladelock as a tiefling or dragonborn and really metalling it up.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

How do people deal with disrupting spellcasting? Especially wrt grappling. The PHB is vague. I'm thinking of houseruling like this:

A PC within reach of a spellcaster may ready an attack triggered if the spellcaster begins casting.
The PC makes an Athletics check (to physically hamper / prevent free use of one or both hands) vs the spellcasters Sleight of Hand check to disrupt the somatic component of the spell. So, a specialized grapple attack.

"Physically hamper" and "free use of both hands" is directly referencing PHB rules of spellcasting. The rules describe somatic motions as "physically taxing" (pg 201 under Spell Slots); a caster wearing armor they are not proficient in is too "distracted and physically hampered" to cast (pg 201 under Casting in Armor); Caster must have "free use of at least one hand" (pg 203 under Somatic).

Readying a disrupting attack is an important aspect of the rule. The Mage Slayer feat should also gain a disrupting attack as part of it's reaction ability.

Does that sound reasonable?

I got a little caught out in a session and allowed an NPC spellcaster to be unable to cast due to being grappled by two characters. I was just handwaving and went to check rules later and found nada.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I keep it simple, grapple check on the target, if successful caster needs to make a concentration check (Con Save) with DC equal to the check the grappler made.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

kingcom posted:

I keep it simple, grapple check on the target, if successful caster needs to make a concentration check (Con Save) with DC equal to the check the grappler made.

Simplicity is good. That was my intuitive assumption in the session. Thing is when I considered it for what happens when the PC spellcaster is grappled, I reckon he'd call out the rules as not preventing him from casting, and I reckon he'd be right.

Grapple just means you grab a target, they can't run away. The Grappler feat let's you restrain them, I'd houserule that means you can restrain them with pro athletic wrestle holds that can prevent casting. RAW the restrained condition doesn't prevent casting, ugh.

So, I figured allowing grapple to interrupt casting on it's own is too powerful.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Grapple is extremely potent and I'd be wary of making it any stronger.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Grapple is extremely potent and I'd be wary of making it any stronger.

Shove nerds into lockers every day, also no its not lol.

EDIT: Without the grappler feat its janky at best and is just a prevent escape mechanic. With the feat its kinda useful but more in a 'you take a bunch of penalties'. It really isnt some extremely potent trick and yeah the big strong guy should be able to just grab some spindly wizard and lock him down.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 13, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Please read what the Prone condition does and also look into how many creatures have good Athletics/Acrobatics scores in their statblocks.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

kingcom posted:

and yeah the big strong guy should be able to just grab some spindly wizard and lock him down.

The wizard at my table is an elf rogue with high dex. He'll say "rules say I only need free use of one hand. Explain how this big oaf is holding both my arms when, according to the rules, that's not what the grappled condition is. It's arguable it isn't what the restrained condition is."

I'm not arguing with you, kingcom. Like I say I had the same intuitive interpretation. Knowing this player, he'll call it out and I can't say I disagree. I think it'd be a little unfair on him to mess his casting so simply.

Making a disruption a readied action means it can be telegraphed to the player that "this guy is just watching you, looks like he's ready to pounce if you cast." Which gives the player a bit of agency to solve the problem of how to cast at close quarters.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Grapple isn't really all that strong by itself. It does become quite good when combined with Prone. And of course if you could pull both off in one turn, and can actually keep the enemy from escaping, then it becomes quite good single target control.

Technically nothing in Grapple, or Restrained, prevents or even remotely hinders spellcasting. Or attacking.

I believe there is actually a feat for hindering spellcasting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

I believe there is actually a feat for hindering spellcasting?

Mage Slayer feat gives you a reaction melee weapon attack if a spell is cast within reach. However, this does not disrupt spellcasting, nor does taking damage interrupt spellcasting.

I'm finding there's nothing RAW that mechanically interrupts spellcasting except Counterspell, because reasons.

I'm reading here that RAW a readied action doesn't trigger until after the trigger is completed. (They seem to think casting is an "instantaneous action" wtf?) Which is just loving bullshit IMO and I'll go with readied actions and contested skillchecks thanks.

e: pg 193 has the rule. If the player describes the ready action as something like "Once I perceive they are casting, I grab the somatic arm and disrupt it's motion." then they're good to go. It can get finickity if the description is too much like a grapple, as grapple is not available as a reaction. The players can trial and error this...

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 13, 2018