Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

Replace an Anger of the Gods with a Blasphemous Act (this is the :getin: of :getin:s with a swan out)

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Getting silly in advance of Worcester; I don't know if I'll go, but if I do it might be with nonsense like this.

4 cabal therapy
4 veteran explorer
4 green sun's zenith
4 academy rector
sylvan library
2 evolutionary leap
pernicious deed
knight of the reliquary
tireless tracker
eternal witness
leovold, emissary of trest
3 brainstorm
2 baleful strix
jace tms
sigarda, host of heroin
titania, priestess of land recursion
garruk the flippy 4-drop
meren of clan nel toth
cruel reality
overwhelming splendor
dovescape

verdant catacombs
3 misty rainforest
3 windswept heath
polluted delta
2 phyrexian tower
volrath's stronghold
savannah
2 bayou
scrubland
2 tropical island
3 forest
island
swamp
plains

sb
3 carpet of flowers
2 collective brutality
reclamation sage
toxic deluge
chromanticode
4 force of will
true-name nemesis
2 flusterstorm

need to find slots for 1-2 diabolic intent and 1 DRS. Unsure if the FoW plan is even reasonable here, have never tried to play this deck before and sleeved this up without much research.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I don't know if 3 Brainstorm of 0 DRS is more egregious here.

Force seems bad considering you have like 7 blue cards.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Why are there almost zero relic of progenitus for sale in the uk :(

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Stangg posted:

Why are there almost zero relic of progenitus for sale in the uk :(

I think I've got more than a playset, if you want snail mail from the US

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think I've got more than a playset, if you want snail mail from the US

Thanks for the offer, I managed to order them from Europe after two attempts, need them for Grand Prix Lyon next week :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Casual-ish modern deck modified from here. Scales or Constrictor + Ravager + Walking Ballista. Can someone tell me if anything in my maybeboard should go mainboard and if so, what to sub?

Deck: Abzan Scales

//Main
Lands (20)
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
2 Marsh Flats
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
1 Vault of the Archangel
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Windswept Heath

Spells (15)
3 Ancient Stirrings
4 Dromoka's Command
3 Fatal Push
4 Hardened Scales
1 Solidarity of Heroes

Creatures (25)
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Arcbound Worker
3 Dark Confidant
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Walking Ballista
4 Winding Constrictor

//Sideboard
2 Anafenza, the Foremost
4 Lingering Souls
1 Pithing Needle
2 Spellskite
2 Surgical Extraction
4 Thoughtseize

//Maybeboard
Aetherborn Marauder - evasion
Ancient Stirrings - squeeze in another or nah?
Aquastrand Spider - reach
Genesis Hydra - mid game bomb. Everything in my deck is low cc so this is good value 2 for 1.
Obsessive Skinner
Protean Hydra
Retribution of the Ancients - combat tricks
Traverse+the+ulvenwald - I subbed in ancient stirrings instead, since it provides value even without Delirium, and most of what I want to fetch is colorless anyhow.
Steel Overseer - instead of scavenging ooze?
Display deck statistics

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Casual-ish modern deck modified from here. Scales or Constrictor + Ravager + Walking Ballista. Can someone tell me if anything in my maybeboard should go mainboard and if so, what to sub?

Deck: Abzan Scales

//Main
Lands (20)
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
2 Marsh Flats
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
1 Vault of the Archangel
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Windswept Heath

Spells (15)
3 Ancient Stirrings
4 Dromoka's Command
3 Fatal Push
4 Hardened Scales
1 Solidarity of Heroes

Creatures (25)
4 Arcbound Ravager
4 Arcbound Worker
3 Dark Confidant
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Walking Ballista
4 Winding Constrictor

//Sideboard
2 Anafenza, the Foremost
4 Lingering Souls
1 Pithing Needle
2 Spellskite
2 Surgical Extraction
4 Thoughtseize

//Maybeboard
Aetherborn Marauder - evasion
Ancient Stirrings - squeeze in another or nah?
Aquastrand Spider - reach
Genesis Hydra - mid game bomb. Everything in my deck is low cc so this is good value 2 for 1.
Obsessive Skinner
Protean Hydra
Retribution of the Ancients - combat tricks
Traverse+the+ulvenwald - I subbed in ancient stirrings instead, since it provides value even without Delirium, and most of what I want to fetch is colorless anyhow.
Steel Overseer - instead of scavenging ooze?
Display deck statistics

You should probably play the overseer over scooze, traverse over ancient stirrings (any creature in your yard counts for 2 types), and find a slot for Nissa, voice of zendikar.

That said, I played this deck for several weeks when GDS was at its peak. It gets completely wrecked by point removal, and you really need to get critical mass going on your ballistas or hangarbacks by turn 4 or 5, which is tough to do while staying alive.

The meta is quite a bit different now, though. Let us know how it goes - it’s certainly sweet when it gets to go off.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Playing Miracles in modern competitive practice this week, I have ulted my 1-of Jace, The Living Guildpact three times over ~15 matches.

Card is trash, and wins games.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Didn't have enough people to fire Modern FNM tonight so I jammed a couple of practice games on GW Company with those who did show up. Quick thoughts-

--Either I've been under-valuing Tireless Tracker before tonight, or my opponents were undervaluing it, because whenever I stuck one I was able to really swing the game in my favor, often getting 3+ Clues before losing the Tracker. In my last game of the night I got both out at the same time, and hoo boy. Might go up to four as suggested by someone in the main thread, but I don't know what I'd cut. Probably Finks but in that case I would want to make space for them in the sideboard, which I don't know how I'd do.

--Speaking of sideboard, would it be a good idea to try and make room for a couple of Fairgrounds Wardens?

--From the makers of "Ghost Quarter myself" comes "Tec Edge myself", which I didn't realize you could do until I had to do so to pump a Knight for exactly lethal.

--There's a new-ish player at the store running Mono-black Devotion, and because we keep getting paired up (and I keep beating him) I'm trying to think of ways to improve his deck. He's running almost entirely basic Swamps outside of a few black fetchlands and a couple of Nykthoses, so I was trying to think of good utility lands to include in a monoblack deck. Any ideas? First one that came to mind was Field of Ruin since he's running Bloodghast and could benefit from the extra Landfall triggers.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

C-Euro posted:

Didn't have enough people to fire Modern FNM tonight so I jammed a couple of practice games on GW Company with those who did show up. Quick thoughts-

--Either I've been under-valuing Tireless Tracker before tonight, or my opponents were undervaluing it, because whenever I stuck one I was able to really swing the game in my favor, often getting 3+ Clues before losing the Tracker. In my last game of the night I got both out at the same time, and hoo boy. Might go up to four as suggested by someone in the main thread, but I don't know what I'd cut. Probably Finks but in that case I would want to make space for them in the sideboard, which I don't know how I'd do.

--Speaking of sideboard, would it be a good idea to try and make room for a couple of Fairgrounds Wardens?

--From the makers of "Ghost Quarter myself" comes "Tec Edge myself", which I didn't realize you could do until I had to do so to pump a Knight for exactly lethal.

--There's a new-ish player at the store running Mono-black Devotion, and because we keep getting paired up (and I keep beating him) I'm trying to think of ways to improve his deck. He's running almost entirely basic Swamps outside of a few black fetchlands and a couple of Nykthoses, so I was trying to think of good utility lands to include in a monoblack deck. Any ideas? First one that came to mind was Field of Ruin since he's running Bloodghast and could benefit from the extra Landfall triggers.

One Leechridden Swamp for spice (and it's fetchable) and to get ready to snap up the reprint of Obliterator in M25

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

One Leechridden Swamp for spice (and it's fetchable) and to get ready to snap up the reprint of Obliterator in M25

He's already running Obliterators, that card never seems like a pain in the rear end until you're staring one down across the table without any hard removal.

E: His non-land cards are something like
Thoughtseize
IOK
Lili (Veil and Last Hope)
Push
Dismember
Gary
Geralf's Messenger
Bloodghast
Gifted Aetherborn
Obliterator
OGW Kalitas
Probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 10, 2018

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Urborg is a good one of land.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

C-Euro posted:

If he adds Urborgs he might be able to get away with Mutavaults. Otherwise, Ifnir Deadlands isn’t the worst.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I've been noticing a lot of Legacy goblins lists running earwig squad. Please tell me this is so that you can get 3 lands out of your opponents deck while wastelanding the rest to lock them out of the game completely.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Mezzanon posted:

I've been noticing a lot of Legacy goblins lists running earwig squad. Please tell me this is so that you can get 3 lands out of your opponents deck while wastelanding the rest to lock them out of the game completely.

Squad is there to try to turn Storm and other similarly fast combo from a 10% matchup to 35-40%. If your opponent is running basics and isn't Tide you're already in great shape for the most part.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Squad is there to try to turn Storm and other similarly fast combo from a 10% matchup to 35-40%. If your opponent is running basics and isn't Tide you're already in great shape for the most part.

That's fair, I just noticed a lot of tempo lists run 5 mana sources total, so being able to kneecap 3 lands out of a deck seems like a plausible line.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Against a deck that only ever wants 2 lands and would love to have 3 less in the deck to draw? Probably not.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Against a deck that only ever wants 2 lands and would love to have 3 less in the deck to draw? Probably not.

Yeah but you also run 4x wasteland for those 2 first lands.

Edit: By this I mean, is there ever a situation where it is worth it to consider using earwig squad to pull lands out of an opponents deck (since you get to look)?

Edit 2: Like, I understand it's almost never going to be the optimal play, so I'm trying to imagine a scenario where it's cool and good.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 11, 2018

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

Yeah but you also run 4x wasteland for those 2 first lands.

Edit: By this I mean, is there ever a situation where it is worth it to consider using earwig squad to pull lands out of an opponents deck (since you get to look)?

Edit 2: Like, I understand it's almost never going to be the optimal play, so I'm trying to imagine a scenario where it's cool and good.

Lands.even then, you probably just die slowly to Punishing Fire instead. If you're trying to use the Lands game plan, you should just be playing Lands.

It's there for Show and Tell and Storm.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Lands.even then, you probably just die slowly to Punishing Fire instead. If you're trying to use the Lands game plan, you should just be playing Lands.

It's there for Show and Tell and Storm.

Fair. I’m trying to get ready for GP SeaTac in April. I have infect and goblins built but I’m in an area where getting legacy to fire is lol.

Give me advice.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

play the deck with brainstorms and force of wills in it

also play infect because i want someone to jam one or two Ride the Dilu Horse in there

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The effect lasting indefinitely is tempting, wonder how many judge calls that one would get.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i should probably figure out what i am going to play at SeaTac too. The three decks I can put together easily that aren't embarrassing are:

Grixis Delver (yuck)
UB Death's Shadow
UW Search for Azcanta Durdle Town

I fear that there are too many Swords to Plowshares running around for Death's Shadow. I definitely learned some lessons when I took it to Vegas though, and adding more shocks and not loving around with Stifles and playing Thoughtseizes instead keeps all the strengths that the deck had in those games and shores up a number of its weaknesses

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

play the deck with brainstorms and force of wills in it

also play infect because i want someone to jam one or two Ride the Dilu Horse in there

So tempting that dilu horse. But I do like goblins

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I picked up a Jace last week for Legacy and hypothetical modern spec for $55 from card kingdom. It's gonna show up today.

I hosed the order up initially, so I had a duplicate order that still showed as Pending in my card kingdom order history. I just used paypal to move the transaction to complete; am gonna be very curious to see if they ship me another at that price, now that it's selling for more than double that on eBay.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Now that we have Jace, where does he go? 2-3 in Jeskai control, Miracles (which might almost be a real deck now? I've been winning games on MODO with loving Jace The Guildpact)... do any of the GDS builds want this?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I should have picked one up for Blue Moon just in case, but alas.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

prediction: spikes to $250 over next day or two, settles to $150, goes down to $95ish during peak supply of M25 but basically becomes the new Tarmogoyf for as long as its in the format. Unless it turns out to be bad, which seems unlikely to me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Now that we have Jace, where does he go? 2-3 in Jeskai control, Miracles (which might almost be a real deck now? I've been winning games on MODO with loving Jace The Guildpact)... do any of the GDS builds want this?

Jeskai control, some kind of blue junk list as a curve topper, he could potentially slot into Lantern, there are decks that might want him as a sideboard card vs control (Bant Knightfal)

Basically any slower deck with blue might want one or two.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I don't GDS wants it. I think a nice BUG shell would fit him well.

Jace
Lilly
Goyf
Snap
Tasigur
Gurmag
Ancestral (maybe with as foretold for value)
Removal
Counters
Sweepers

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

the really funny thing to me about Jace -- the only reason people started brewing miracles is [[Riverwise Augur]]... which is also, definitely, the card we cut for Jace, since it's just loving trash

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't GDS wants it. I think a nice BUG shell would fit him well.

Jace
Lilly
Goyf
Snap
Tasigur
Gurmag
Ancestral (maybe with as foretold for value)
Removal
Counters
Sweepers

hmm, I have All Those Cards except for As Foretold. I also just bought a playset of Disrupting Shoal because because speculation (I want to brew Mono-U delver, or maybe Ur with red only to support main deck moons)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just got my first game in with a janky Paradox Engine deck. It was fun as hell, went off on turn 4 after mulliganing to 6, though my opponent didn't have any removal or disruption which would've ate my fragile lunch.

My coworker didn't believe at first read that Gilder Bairn worked the way he does :3:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Just got my first game in with a janky Paradox Engine deck. It was fun as hell, went off on turn 4 after mulliganing to 6, though my opponent didn't have any removal or disruption which would've ate my fragile lunch.

My coworker didn't believe at first read that Gilder Bairn worked the way he does :3:

Haha, I played against a deck like that once on MODO, and he housed me in game 1 and won on turn 4. Game 2, I cast an Ancient Grudge... and he conceded the match.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

There's another untap combo that's kind of like that wherein they make infinite mana with Pili-Pala and Grand Architect. His win condition was to cycle through his deck and cast four lightning bolts and then recur it four times with snapcaster mage. imagine his surprise when he read what my dryad militant did

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Haha, I played against a deck like that once on MODO, and he housed me in game 1 and won on turn 4. Game 2, I cast an Ancient Grudge... and he conceded the match.

Sounds about right.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

There's another untap combo that's kind of like that wherein they make infinite mana with Pili-Pala and Grand Architect. His win condition was to cycle through his deck and cast four lightning bolts and then recur it four times with snapcaster mage. imagine his surprise when he read what my dryad militant did

As a janky combo player, my hat's off to that deck designer with one win condition, chasing the nut hand dragon.

The funny thing is I'm not using Gilder Bairn in any infinite combo, just as a weird way to pop Ral Zarek or Tezzeret the Seeker the turn I play them, or just to boost my mana rocks. They can help me reach critical mass, but mostly Coretapper and Surge Node work for that and I just have the Bairn for shenanigans.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

When I bought a JTMS last week I created 2 orders on Card Kingdom and only completed one of them.

I noticed this today and that the other one still existed in Pending status for $55, so I tried to complete it because why not -- and despite being sold out, they had one on hold for my pending order from 2/6, and honored the price and shipped it! Pretty amazing.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
If anyone is interested in testing for SeaTac on XMage, let me know, I'm likely bringing Aggro Loam and Grixis Delver and deciding between the two.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Real talk though does anybody have any experience on Legacy Goblins/Infect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Potential UB Faeries list with JTMS here. Jace makes late game discard/leaks much less problematic and between all your random fliers and Tar Pit you should be quite good at killing opposing Jaces. You also no longer need to play any Snapcaster Mages which means you can get away with playing more Mistbind Cliques which improves your big mana matchups - matchups that will probably become more common now that people are going to be playing more Jund/Uxx decks that tend to fold to big mana strategies. The sideboard is spaghetti on a wall and includes some somewhat experimental things but it's worth a shot. Let me know if y'all see any notable exclusions or have any ideas for what might be good in the deck.