Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ah, the Chris Evans Society

The Losers was good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SlimGoodbody posted:

Chris Evans wasn't even in the worst F4 movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Chris Evans wasn't even in the worst F4 movie.

Yeah but he was in the 2nd and 3rd worst ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but he was in the 2nd and 3rd worst ones.

THERE ARE ONLY FOUR OF THEM!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Incredibles and that Netflix season of Arrested Development are part of my canon.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SlimGoodbody posted:

The Torchies

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Retro Futurist posted:

That's what people are talking about when they say these films aren't for "us", though. Maybe in 5 minutes BP won't be firmly entrenched in the minds of a bunch of 20-40 years old white guys, but the black 12 year old who goes to see it? He's going to remember this for a long time.

I still remember back in college when Ben Grimm "officially" became Jewish. Representation matters, more than I think we realize until it happens.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I still think it's hilarious that the general reaction to Evans getting cast as Cap was "ugh, Johnny Storm from the crappy F4 movie is gonna be Captain America?" and now he's one of the most beloved actors in the franchise.

Aphrodite posted:

The Incredibles and that Netflix season of Arrested Development are part of my canon.

After some deliberation backstage the judges are willing to accept that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also to go off of what Bruceski said, which is true btw, representation has always been hugely important across all walks of media, and at the risk of getting all "tumblr loony left" about it most of the people who scoff and roll their eyes at "forced diversity" are straight white dudes who've been swimming in representation their entire lives. Trying to get people like that to understand why representation matters is like trying to describe the concept of dehydration to a fish.

Black Panther looks to be a cornucopia of rad black characters too, which is nice. You've got your teenage geniuses, your stylish bad guys, your kickass women, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah and the best was Roger Corman's.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kai Tave posted:

Trying to get people like that to understand why representation matters is like trying to describe the concept of dehydration to a fish.

Which is funny, because they're the ones who will melt right down if a traditionally white male character has their race or gender changed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gaz-L posted:

And they're all bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah and the best was Roger Corman's.

Corman’s Fantastic Four is genuinely enjoyable in a schlocky/cheesy way

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s such a fantastic movie.

My favorite part of that film, which I love dearly, is the perfect use of the fanfare from Gonna Fly Now. It's only once, and it's gone almost before you realize it's there, but it's such a jump out of your seat moment. I need to find time to watch that again. It's really too bad Coogler isn't involved with the sequel.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Even if it was only half black I would still be impressed. Imagine if it came out in the 80s or 90s, T'Challa would be the only black person in the main cast and it would take place in America.
Except for his love interest, she'd be black too because, well, you know.... something something "jungle fever".

C'mon, the 1990s Hollywood rulebook dictated that if two black people hook up and neither of them is Will Smith, then it's a "black" movie. Thus the career of Eva Mendes.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

theironjef posted:

C'mon, the 1990s Hollywood rulebook dictated that if two black people hook up and neither of them is Will Smith, then it's a "black" movie. Thus the career of Eva Mendes.

Where's Eva Mendes been, anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Where's Eva Mendes been, anyway?

She's 43 now, she aged out of Hollywood 13 years ago.

(I think she retired, at least for the time being, to have kids.)

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

The Losers was good!

Go Petunias!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

theironjef posted:

For those unaware: This is not a joke. Originally Carmen Diaz was supposed to play opposite of Will Smith but it made the studio "uncomfortable" so they recasted with Mendes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And I'm sure somewhere on the 2005 IMDb message board people argued that it doesn't mean anything since they're both Cuban.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Koalas March posted:

For those unaware: This is not a joke. Originally Carmen Diaz was supposed to play opposite of Will Smith but it made the studio "uncomfortable" so they recasted with Mendes.

I hate knowing this, because I like Hitch, but I feel like I should feel bad about that.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Roll that further back than Hitch because she got her start as Denzel's love interest in Training Day.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Nothing is sadder to me than the fact that superhero movies are what little kids will get awed by nowadays

I grew up with Terminator and Aliens and Predator. Those were cool as gently caress movies

Marvel and DC movies are lukewarm farts in space

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

drat, you had some negligent parents.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Aliens and Terminator are great but I don't know about Predator. I'd rank it below a good number of the Marvel movies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zzulu posted:

Nothing is sadder to me than the fact that superhero movies are what little kids will get awed by nowadays

I grew up with Terminator and Aliens and Predator. Those were cool as gently caress movies

Why even post this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm pretty sure terminator and alien still exist on various formats

Because I own both on bluray

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Thor: Ragnarok deleted scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RM1ddEQHMc

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Not only that but drat Black Panther looks dope af.

Don't worry about black kids zzulu, we have Blackish, Grownish, Black Panther, Black Lightning, Luke Cage, Raising Dion and Doc McStuffins.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

I'm pretty sure terminator and alien still exist on various formats

Because I own both on bluray

No, didn't you know that when a newer thing supplants an older thing that the older thing is completely destroyed so no one can enjoy it? This is why people complained about the new Ghostbusters movie, because armed Hollywood goons came and took all their copies of old Ghostbusters and destroyed them so no one can watch them again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doc McStuffins does not seem like an appropriate name for a children's program.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zzulu posted:

You sound like a Facebook meme.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Doc McStuffins does not seem like an appropriate name for a children's program.

Doc McStuffins is actually awesome. A little black girl is a stuffed animal doctor. :3:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

No, didn't you know that when a newer thing supplants an older thing that the older thing is completely destroyed so no one can enjoy it? This is why people complained about the new Ghostbusters movie, because armed Hollywood goons came and took all their copies of old Ghostbusters and destroyed them so no one can watch them again.

This is actually true the Soros paid tumblr sjw loonies beat me up

They also took my lunch money

Koalas March posted:

Doc McStuffins is actually awesome. A little black girl is a stuffed animal doctor. :3:

Is this a cartoon or something?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Zzulu posted:

You also, presumably according to the time-frame, grew up with Superman. Where does that fit in?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

site posted:

This is actually true the Soros paid tumblr sjw loonies beat me up

They also took my lunch money

Is this a cartoon or something?

It is a disney cartoon. I put it on when I babysit. It also has a poo poo ton of merchandising which is awesome because (at least when I was a kid) there's not a lot of toys aimed specifically for black kids aside from certain Barbies and baby dolls.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Karloff posted:

You also, presumably according to the time-frame, grew up with Superman. Where does that fit in?

I mean, hell, Batman '89 is roughly contemporaneous with those, as well. That and Terminator 2 are some of the earliest movies I can remember seeing in the theater.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

In their defense those all had toy lines.

I know a lot of (American) parents only draw the line at sex scenes and I think only Terminator 1 had that.

Either way Civil War is a better movie than T2YEAHISAIDITWHATFIGHTME!!!!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's the worst thing I've ever heard

Civil war wasn't even that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
T2 would probably get a pg13 nowadays it's not that violent compared to what's even on TV now. Do they even say gently caress in that movie?

And yeah um disagree on it being worse than civil war lol

• Locked thread