Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Deanna troi (fingers to head): im sensing anger

I tried to keep it fairly subtle.

BloodRed posted:

what about that small percentage of children for whom standard schooling isn't working?

chuck em in the river I guess

Oh, the ones that did absolute poo poo at NCEA in the charter schools? Those ones? Do you mind letting us know how replacing their teaching staff with those without any sort of teaching qualification would help?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

BloodRed posted:

what about that small percentage of children for whom standard schooling isn't working?

Hmm yes quite.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sebmojo posted:

Deanna troi (fingers to head): im sensing anger

She is not going to have a good time in this episode....

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There's plenty of scope within current legislation for alternative schools to cater to kids who don't mesh with the public system.

Hekia Parata was alright though, she just had really lovely directives to ram through

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BloodRed posted:

Please continue telling us more about this, I'm sure you're really enlightened on the issue.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BloodRed posted:

Pretty much.

If it helps, Charter schools will at least give you the option of picking where in the river to chuck 'em. Only $199.99!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went to Kristen school, biggest waste of money on education possible. Went back to public school after 5th form and it was just as good if not better as far as brass tacks learning went.

Any success that school claims isn't because its a good school, its because a lot of the people going there are already rich so their opportunities for advancement is greater to start with. All the extra money went into bigger buildings and they still have the audacity to fund raise like a public school by having their students flog poo poo.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/events/199881587414619/?ti=cl

Who's in?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Heavy thunderstorm lol

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The weather will be fine because ACT don't believe in climate change.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nice.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That's inconvenient. I haven't got any rotten eggs.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

you're

this post brought to you by a public school boy

e: also as a pink floyd fanboy that doesn't loving fit at all

e2: right wingers trying to co-opt left wing songs for their cause is always a complete fail and i love it

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 10, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Anyone know their tenancy law? The property managers of my current flat recently (a few days ago) sent me (head tenant) an e-mail following up on their most recent (early December) inspection. First weird thing, aside from the gap between the inspection and the email: they already emailed me following up on that inspection, and their only complaint at the time was the overgrown back yard, which had been overgrown since we moved in, and which they hadn't mentioned on either of the first two inspections. According to a friend who works for the council, our back yard is technically not a part of the property and is actually council land. Regardless, we chose not to dispute it - we did, via signing the tenancy agreement, agree to maintain the grounds when we moved in, even if they were already overgrown when we moved in. Even if my friend is right about the grounds being council property (I haven't seen the paperwork myself), it seemed worth it to fork out $80 for a weedwhacker from Hirepool and maintain a relatively good relationship with them over fighting them about it. They'd already proven belligerence and thinly-veiled threats to be their first recourse with even the tiniest issues, despite us acting in good faith the whole time, so this was probably a bit naive. Regardless, we cleaned up the yard, and as far as we know they never actually followed up on it, whatever. We didn't hear any more and thought that was all we'd hear about the inspection. However, last Wednesday, I received another email pertaining to that inspection, shortly before our tenancy agreement is due to expire at the end of the month, and shortly after we expressed interest in staying on. Interesting timing I'd say, but maybe I'm being too skeptical? Then again, given previous naivety, maybe not.

Either way, they raised two further issues in the second email which they're asking us to contact their handyman to have fixed at our expense. One was a hole in a bedroom door which the relevant flatmate had informed them of and accepted responsibility for, no dispute there. The other is that there are "plaster patches" in the hallway and it "appears that holes have been plastered." At first I had no idea what they were talking about, even after looking for them, but in better light the next day I spotted said patches for the first time, while specifically looking for them, after almost a year living at the property. They absolutely have nothing to do with us. We didn't take photos of them when we moved in, a) because they're barely loving visible and we didn't see them, b) because even if we'd noticed them, we'd have assumed they were sanctioned repairs and it would never have occurred to us to photograph them or mention them to the property managers. Lesson learnt I guess, but I've been flatting for years, often in places in much worse condition, and never had anything like this come up before. I've replied to the email accepting liability for the hole in the door but disputing it for the "plaster patches." I have yet to hear back but the guy I correspond with is low-level and is generally pretty slack so who knows. Maybe nothing will come of it, but in the not-improbable event they decide to be dicks I'm wondering where we stand. We can't prove we didn't make and then plaster holes in the wall and then lie about it while accepting responsibility for a hole in a door which we made no effort to hide, but they can't prove the damage wasn't pre-existing either, because it was. But are we hosed for not taking photos of every square inch of wall or what?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 10, 2018

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Hello. I’m in NZ for a while. Is there a general chat thread anywhere so I can ask the important questions like what’s a trundler and why are eggs so expensive?

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 10, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WTF is a trundler

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Slavvy posted:

WTF is a trundler

One who trundles.

There is the Goon Meets thread which is less prone to apoplectic fits of rage but more prone to talking about where your internet comes from (and sometimes both).

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You should've got a description of the state of the property when you moved in, which detailed things like any stains or damage to carpets, benchtops, walls, etc. If you read and signed that and it didn't detail the plastering on the walls then it's your word against theirs.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

WTF is a trundler

Island relative of the treadly deadly.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ratjaculation posted:

Hello. I’m in NZ for a while. Is there a general chat thread anywhere so I can ask the important questions like what’s a trundler and why are eggs so expensive?

Eggs are expensive because the chickens here were specifically bought over by the queen in 1947 and have to be massaged every day.

A trundler is someone over 80.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Serious talk, a trundler is a shopping trolley

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Or a pram. Anything with little wheels counts really.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Thank you guys, I’ll trundle over to the goon meet thread

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/LewSOS/status/962461901933260800

i heard about this during the election

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I love any reason at all to hate Bish but this isn't really one. Poor judgement to be sure but nothing untoward

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Yeah i don't think there's anything sinister in it, just wonder why it's come out now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There are also questions around why he was only messaging like this with teenage girls. I know I'd be really sketched out if I found out my 13yo daughter had been messaging some 30yo dude daily on Snapchat.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
yeah there are ways to be a mentor / role model and snapchatting at midnight ain't one of them

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

But are we hosed for not taking photos of every square inch of wall or what?
Are they trying to get you to pay for painting it or just take the blame? They probably only noticed them themselves because they were looking for damage after seeing a hole in the door.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

Are they trying to get you to pay for painting it or just take the blame? They probably only noticed them themselves because they were looking for damage after seeing a hole in the door.

They asked us to pay for repairs, although I still haven't had a reply to the email where I told them it wasn't us, so they may still take me at my word.

bike tory posted:

You should've got a description of the state of the property when you moved in, which detailed things like any stains or damage to carpets, benchtops, walls, etc. If you read and signed that and it didn't detail the plastering on the walls then it's your word against theirs.

Yeah we got a description at the time, but we had a different head tenant at the time and I don't know what he did with it. I've contacted him to see if he still has it. I don't think it mentioned the plastering though (as I said I never even noticed it til now) so yeah if they do decide to be dicks about it, it will be our word against theirs. What happens in that situation? Tenant has to pay?

Also a trundler is one of those stupid bags on wheels that lazy cunts pull behind them and block off the entire footpath instead of carrying their 2 kilos of poo poo like a normal person :colbert:

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 11, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

IDK what the law or precedent is, but definitely worth pushing back

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

BloodRed posted:

yeah there are ways to be a mentor / role model and snapchatting at midnight ain't one of them

"I adopted a policy of having a "Story Only" account and only having SnapChat friends that I knew personally,"

In that case, what are parents worried about? This dude posting random stuff to his story and their children choosing to look at it is alot different than the original story made out to be!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's hard to tell from their quality journalism, but that part is a direct quote from his official statement on the matter, while the succeeding part where he is confronted in person by a mother about him messaging her daughter is not, and is a conflicting story that he does not address and the story does not dwell on.

Stuff have failed to put together a coherent timeline around when he was confronted in person and when Paul Goldsmith received a complaint about him, despite apparently having witness statements and access to making OIA requests. Was he confronted in person after he'd already changed it? Maybe. Is he straight out lying about being told third-hand? Who knows.

Don't loving message 13 year olds on a daily basis for any purpose you loving idiot.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

BloodRed posted:

"I adopted a policy of having a "Story Only" account and only having SnapChat friends that I knew personally,"

In that case, what are parents worried about? This dude posting random stuff to his story and their children choosing to look at it is alot different than the original story made out to be!

he adopted that policy after being confronted by parents for DMing their teenage daughters

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
god drat pervert!!!

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Wafflecopper posted:

They asked us to pay for repairs, although I still haven't had a reply to the email where I told them it wasn't us, so they may still take me at my word.

Yeah we got a description at the time, but we had a different head tenant at the time and I don't know what he did with it. I've contacted him to see if he still has it. I don't think it mentioned the plastering though (as I said I never even noticed it til now) so yeah if they do decide to be dicks about it, it will be our word against theirs. What happens in that situation? Tenant has to pay?

Also a trundler is one of those stupid bags on wheels that lazy cunts pull behind them and block off the entire footpath instead of carrying their 2 kilos of poo poo like a normal person :colbert:

Now IANAL but I've been to the tennancy tribunal a number of times, and threatened to go even more. I've found the tennancy tribunal will err on the side of the tennant, the tenancy laws tends to as well.

Often mentioning that you don't mind going to the tribunal is enough to get the landlord to act like civilised grown ups.

The last time this happened was upon moving out of a $620 a week house in island bay, quinovic tried to ping us for a couple tiny smudges on the wall, a few holes in the wall where picture hooks where attached, and 3 light bulbs. They wanted $80 for those bulds btw. They hadn't read the original house assessment before deciding all of the above were our fault and needed remedying.
Granted, the small smudges were my fault, but thats wear and tear and not a tennants responsibility. The picture hook holes were also put there by us, about 10 paintings worth, you know adding to the ones already there from the previous occupant (the owner of the property) which were also noted in the original assessment. The light bulbs - they wanted $80 to pay someone to go and replace them, or they offered to allow us to go and replace them. The original assessment noted that there were 4 bulbs out originally, they were different bulbs.

We told them that the smudges are wear and tear, that picture hooks holes were already there and also they are not damage - again, wear and tear, and all we said about the light bulbs is "don't be stupid, that's not happening". We said any further disagreement will be resolved in the tennancy tribunal, and they backed down quick smart.

Funny thing about light bulbs - if they blow, and you leave them in, it's wear and tear and you are not liable for replacing them.. If they blow, and you remove them, then you are liable for replacing them lol.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
:getin: english

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Let the psychotic infighting commence