Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not joking at all. It's an excellent historical analogue to Marcus Aurelius' war against the Norsemen, when many of his soldiers deserted, because they didn't have enough milk and eggs to bake bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Agents are GO! posted:

Assuming you're not joking, realism is exactly what we want in our viking jesus game where we yell at dragons until they die.

This but unironically.

I mean, you probably have Frostfall installed, right? Most people who mod Skyrim do.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Why?...

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Because it makes being a vampire that much better.

Also I kinda like conjuring shelter while I travel between cities, enchant and craft stuff with a bubble of energy protecting me from a blizzard with a roaring fire keeping me warm.

That's the extent of my roleplaying.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Eric the Mauve posted:

you probably have Frostfall installed, right? Most people who mod Skyrim do.

I really don't think that's true, actually. I don't think "most people" who mod skyrim have any single mod installed except maybe usleep. maybe.

and SKSE I guess but that doesn't really count

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Extent of my roleplaying: This character is a dick, I'm going to kill him, his family, and everyone he's associated with

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Drythe posted:

Extent of my roleplaying: This character is a dick, I'm going to kill him, his family, and everyone he's associated with

"Now, I know who you are. And... and I know your business... Just, please... These are good folk we got here. Mostly..."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Frostfall is pointless busywork that's fun for maybe one playthrough

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Frostfall is pointless busywork that's fun for maybe one playthrough

This is how I feel about Hunterborn. Frostfall though I've enjoyed over a number of characters. Just don't ever set it to Hardcore.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 13, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I think I got fed up with Hunterborn within about an hour lol. I'm not against mods that make the game an in depth life needs / survival thing in theory but none of them have ever done it for me. I guess it just feels too much like trying to make the game something it isn't ever really going to be

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Yeah I don't get the love for survival mods either. It makes things horribly tedious. I guess maybe it's a way to counteract things like swimming in freezing water for hours or scaling mountains in a loincloth but I just don't see the appeal.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It sure is jarring when you are watching a youtube video of a guy reviewing mods for Skyrim or Fallout and he seems totally on the level, speaking clearly, explaining the mod and what it does and giving his opinion about it.
And then all the women are wearing super skimpy outfits and have tits larger than their heads and that is not the mod they are reviewing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ditto preview pics for mods on the nexus.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

It sure is jarring when you are watching a youtube video of a guy reviewing mods for Skyrim or Fallout and he seems totally on the level, speaking clearly, explaining the mod and what it does and giving his opinion about it.
And then all the women are wearing super skimpy outfits and have tits larger than their heads and that is not the mod they are reviewing.

Are you new to MxR?

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

axeil posted:

Yeah I don't get the love for survival mods either. It makes things horribly tedious. I guess maybe it's a way to counteract things like swimming in freezing water for hours or scaling mountains in a loincloth but I just don't see the appeal.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy the tension. Walking across a frozen hell-scape in the mountains, trying to get to shelter before this blizzard whips up, I'm getting colder and crap here comes a troll. I can't deal with that now I've got to get to shelter keep going aaahhhh a pack of wolves and now the blizzard is starting to sweep over me gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Admittedly, if you just make a camp immediately any time your Exposure starts to go up it would be tedious as hell.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I was actually talking to a buddy a work with about Skyrim, and he told me that apparently Bethesda patched out those random vampire attacks in cities that were added in Dawnguard like a year ago. I always used Run For Your Lives so I never noticed, but that's kind of funny. I remember when Dawnguard kinda made the game unplayable until mods came out, because you could get Master Vampire attacks the very first time you entered Whiterun in broad daylight, and he would kill like half the NPCs pretty much instantly because everyone was like level 6.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I gotta agree. Frostfall seems like a great way of making you tackle an ever-present game element (cold) in a unique way. Food mods I'm more torn on, waffling between "they break flow too much" and "they make adventures far in the wilderness feel different from ones right by a city." Hunterborn, though, just feels like realism for realism's sake. The scrimshaw system and other crafting options looks cool as hell, but taking hours to clean a single wolf carcass seems tiring and an easy way of making need mods even more obtrusive.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 13, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If food had better integration - ie not just being click a thing in a menu and maybe see an animation if you're sitting down - it'd be better but yeah I disabled ineed and the food systems as while ago. I still like the cold stuff though I keep it in easier settings to not have to camp every 15 feet in Winterhold.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Something that really impressed me about Breath of the Wild is how it incorporates a lot of survival game features, including things found in Frostfall, in a way that's much more intuitive than anything in Frostfall or even other survival-focused games.

• You can tell you're too cold just by seeing your character shiver.
  • Weather conditions are a simple indicator right next to the map. Climbing in the rain sucks, but looking at the weather and not climbing in the rain makes you feel like you cleverly planned ahead, as simple as it sounds.
  • Food doesn't exist to fill an arbitrary meter, but to give you the energy to get you over that loving mountain.

I really hope the next ES game cribs some systems from BotW, because it's one of the few games where I wanted to just go on little adventures rather than fast-travel from waypoint to waypoint.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I think I would like Frostfall better if the game didn't send you everywhere regularly. If I had to stick to specific areas that I could exhaust at a time, I might consider it. Same thing with the campfires. If I know my two main leads are taking me to opposite ends of the map it's easier to just fast travel to my house if I need to do inventory stuff. Basically the game doesn't put me in the mindset needed to appreciate the survival busiwork.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not joking at all. It's an excellent historical analogue to Marcus Aurelius' war against the Norsemen, when many of his soldiers deserted, because they didn't have enough milk and eggs to bake bread.

:goonsay:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

Something that really impressed me about Breath of the Wild is how it incorporates a lot of survival game features, including things found in Frostfall, in a way that's much more intuitive than anything in Frostfall or even other survival-focused games.

• You can tell you're too cold just by seeing your character shiver.
  • Weather conditions are a simple indicator right next to the map. Climbing in the rain sucks, but looking at the weather and not climbing in the rain makes you feel like you cleverly planned ahead, as simple as it sounds.
  • Food doesn't exist to fill an arbitrary meter, but to give you the energy to get you over that loving mountain.

I really hope the next ES game cribs some systems from BotW, because it's one of the few games where I wanted to just go on little adventures rather than fast-travel from waypoint to waypoint.

it's interesting, because BOTW actually (to a degree) does durability better, where TES has since abandoned durability.

I know this is one of the most contentious points of BOTW, but think about it - TES gives you smithing, or magics, gluts of items. There are a variety of ways players might seek to maintain their gear. Gear drops from loving everything, and for the most parts it scales - so assuming Beth were to leave that alone, different builds might approach in a variety of ways. A) just train smithing and repair your own garbage. B) carry some store purchased tools that help you maintain gear without needing smithing - in a sense, allowing you to convert speech into durability C) level a variety weapon proficiency and simply use what is available to you as you break your garbage.

A legitimate need to carry a couple of weapons might even result in realistic weapons for gear as well. I shudder to think back to Oblivion and what was the equivalent of like 30lbs swords wielded with 1 hand.

But this sort of approach could let them do other things, giving different value to different gear. Maybe Orichalicum doesn't have a particular high damage thresshold, but maybe it holds an edge really well, and doesn't break easily - prob still better than steel in all ways but maybe heavier. Elven might have a good high damage thresshold, and be light, but maybe it loses its edge fast, and/or breaks more quickly. Get into the more unique materials like Ebony and maybe they're not just great across the board, but hold better enchantments, leaving them especially powerful, but the rarity of materials or replacements may leave them in a player's bag for most encounters but bosses.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of this is just too much 'design' for bethesda, whose philosophy seems to be little more than a matter of adding XX HP * Level. Trying to build a balanced dynamic world the likes of BotW and still retain something of a familiar TES world is probably too much of an undertaking for the company that seems more interesting in porting their last 2 games to every platform forever.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 13, 2018

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, I've been a busy little converting bee today, and I've converted several Oldrim mods to SE and put them in my Personal Use folder. Please don't share that link outside the thread, if you want to share those files outside this thread, please upload them to your own hosting. :)

Anyhow, what I've added:
  • I merged the Bypass Bleak Falls Barrow, Bypass the 7000 steps, and the Bypass Ustengrav mods into one esp (entitled "Bypass All".)
  • I converted several of Crazy Lion's weapon replacers. I loving LOVE his ebony mace:

• Bonemold Expanded, which has a bunch of lovely looking Bonemold variants and a motherfuckin' Gondolier Hat from Morrowind.
  • Netch Leather Armor, which adds... you know what, gently caress it, if you can't figure this one out...
  • The Ashy Spellsword: This one is a sub-file of Ashlander Apparel (which looks AMAZING in SE) that gives Teldryn Sero his very own unique version of Chitin Armor. Edit: If you use this with Netch Leather Armor, make sure this one is lower in your load order, both try to edit his outfit.
  • An extremely-untested port of Fyr Manor. I'm tired of waiting for an official port, so I did it but I'm not absolutely sure it will work right. :shobon: This playthrough is for testing it. :)
  • Edit: Forgot one! Dwarven Mechanical Dragons - Guardians of Kagrenzel Edition. This version makes it so there's just a few, scattered at various Dwarven ruins, which is why I like this version.

Anyhow, let me know if there are any issues.

Edit: Looks like theres already an official port of CL's work. Huh. I googled for it and everything. Oh well.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 13, 2018

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks so much for the ebony weapons. I always loved those in oldrim.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Welp, there goes my claim of stability. I install ultimate combat and now I crash pretty regularly and no clue why

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kiggles posted:

it's interesting, because BOTW actually (to a degree) does durability better, where TES has since abandoned durability.

I know this is one of the most contentious points of BOTW, but think about it - TES gives you smithing, or magics, gluts of items. There are a variety of ways players might seek to maintain their gear. Gear drops from loving everything, and for the most parts it scales - so assuming Beth were to leave that alone, different builds might approach in a variety of ways. A) just train smithing and repair your own garbage. B) carry some store purchased tools that help you maintain gear without needing smithing - in a sense, allowing you to convert speech into durability C) level a variety weapon proficiency and simply use what is available to you as you break your garbage.

Being able to (and needing to) pay blacksmiths to repair your poo poo would be a good way to actually have something to spend your septims on. But frankly I think most players just hate loving with durability (it's definitely the #1 complaint about BOTW) so Bethesda decided why bother. It should just be a toggleable option IMO. Weapon/armor degrading: Default, Low, None.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kiggles posted:

But this sort of approach could let them do other things, giving different value to different gear. Maybe Orichalicum doesn't have a particular high damage thresshold, but maybe it holds an edge really well, and doesn't break easily - prob still better than steel in all ways but maybe heavier. Elven might have a good high damage thresshold, and be light, but maybe it loses its edge fast, and/or breaks more quickly. Get into the more unique materials like Ebony and maybe they're not just great across the board, but hold better enchantments, leaving them especially powerful, but the rarity of materials or replacements may leave them in a player's bag for most encounters but bosses.

I really liked this aspect of Morrowind. Glass equipment was super light but had very little durability. Daedric stuff is really heavy but lasts forever. It made for some more nuanced choices in what type of gear you wanted to use.

It was also kind of a WTF moment in Oblivion when I realized they dumbed it down to "HIGHER TIER EQUALS HEAVIER".

e: that being said, I don't mind the elimination of item degradation and repair as a gameplay mechanic, it pretty much always boils down to a chore to do every time you swing through a town. BOTW mixes it up by having equipment be literally disposable, though I'm still ambivalent on how I feel about that mechanic.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 14, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm glad durability isn't a thing because realistically, every single character I make ends up with the relevant repair skills because its too convenient not to do. It doesn't really enhance my roleplaying experience if its something I feel obligated to do on every character.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Skyrim has a surprising amount of armor types, so it makes me curious how a system like that would be incorporated. If it was good, though, I'd definitely enable durability.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

e: that being said, I don't mind the elimination of item degradation and repair as a gameplay mechanic, it pretty much always boils down to a chore to do every time you swing through a town. BOTW mixes it up by having equipment be literally disposable, though I'm still ambivalent on how I feel about that mechanic.
I disagree on this point. It's part of economy. Skyrim has some very serious inflation issues. Aside from early game equipment being prohibitively expensive, by the time you have speech skills or cash reserves to realistically afford anything, you probably don't need it, or have so much money coming out of your ears that the limitation of money become a non-factor. In otherwords, if not durability, why not cash? It doesn't enhance roleplaying experience if it's something you're obliged to grind on every character?

Not to make a straw man out of Internet Kraken. Just illustrating that I have never had a balanced economy in Skyrim, despite the wealth and variety of economy mods available. They mostly just inflate prices, and draw out the end game, but few to none have any efficient gold sinks. Tax mods or scaling carriage costs without fast travel are about the only thing I've found that really seem to work. In the former, buying houses, or hiring followers incurs continued cost, so these purchases need to be considered, at least a little, with respect to their opportunity cost. Coupled with carriage costs that scale based on your character weight (higher level players tend to carry a lot more stuff) and it helps sap some of the gold out of the player's pocket, but in a controlled manner. Durability is otherwise just a very simple way to further siphon off a bit more cash. Repair and re-charge that weapon, or just buy a new, slightly better one for a little more cash? Either way you're making a withdraw.

I'm mostly just saying that it's something that works well when functional as an integrated system, like Morrowind possibly. It all got stuffed in Oblivion with purely linear progression - with the only significant limiting factor being weight.

But I am actually thinking of a system where equipment IS disposable, like in BotW. Not literally, but not dissimilar. Unenchanted crap gear may be something you just pick up and use as you trundle about, letting it break on your enemies, and only pulling out significant enchanted tools when encountering a boss or getting stuck in a rough situation. It's not like TES systems of full loot on killing NPCs (mostly) wouldn't support such a system, and provided the exception to a BotW fully disposable gear system allows you to maintain enchanted gear indefinitely, then it's just a matter of discretion.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to it being one of a few difficulty toggles. Something Beth games lack is much control over how a game scales in difficulty, but the argument I would make there is many things get reweighted very poorly even when throwing the difficulty slider around. If the game is well balanced (ha) around durability, then disabling the feature may result in a lot of content losing any identity or significance. I mean, if Orcish weapons are supposed to be very durable steel weapons, but somewhat heavier, well disable duability and now you have a straight downgrade to steel... awkward. It would basically require double workload in content balance and you know; Bethesda.

But I'm mostly just chattering about possibilities, and while I think durability is potentially a valuable system for open world games- evidenced by BotW -I doubt the series will go back that direction especially if the trend is toward an arguably more simple format like BotW.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 14, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kiggles posted:

I disagree on this point. It's part of economy. Skyrim has some very serious inflation issues. Aside from early game equipment being prohibitively expensive, by the time you have speech skills or cash reserves to realistically afford anything, you probably don't need it, or have so much money coming out of your ears that the limitation of money become a non-factor. In otherwords, if not durability, why not cash? It doesn't enhance roleplaying experience if it's something you're obliged to grind on every character?

Wait, are you talking about the high score counter that goes up every time I pick up a septim or trade in some weapons to a vendor? :v:

Like, yeah, I get that durability is a way to give players something to spend money on, it's just a really boring and tedious way to do it. I guess the main difference to me is that money is one of those exponential hump aspects of a TES game; starting off completely broke makes it feel more rewarding when you have fortunes stashed into every nook in your absurdly opulent mansion. Whereas repairing stuff, by design, can't be as much of a hard impediment because you always need weapons.

And it's not like having to repair stuff in Morrowind made it any harder to end up owning 95% of the wealth on the planet. You just have to flog one or two of the dozens of ebony maces you've collected in exchange for a cartload of repair hammers.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

One of the things hampering a re-introduction of durability is how Skyrim handles things under the hood now. Bethesda pretty much completely stripped out tracking individual items from the engine - an Iron Sword is an Iron Sword in Skyrim. It's why quests will sometimes take the wrong item from your inventory.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is that why you can't really have a signature weapon or armor mod?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Would it be possible to handle it similar to tempering? Item quality could go from Tempered to Standard to Worn to Breaking to Broken. That way, the game can tell your 1 power Broken Iron Hilt from your 50 power Tempered Dwarven Longsword.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kiggles posted:

Not to make a straw man out of Internet Kraken. Just illustrating that I have never had a balanced economy in Skyrim, despite the wealth and variety of economy mods available. They mostly just inflate prices, and draw out the end game, but few to none have any efficient gold sinks. Tax mods or scaling carriage costs without fast travel are about the only thing I've found that really seem to work. In the former, buying houses, or hiring followers incurs continued cost, so these purchases need to be considered, at least a little, with respect to their opportunity cost. Coupled with carriage costs that scale based on your character weight (higher level players tend to carry a lot more stuff) and it helps sap some of the gold out of the player's pocket, but in a controlled manner. Durability is otherwise just a very simple way to further siphon off a bit more cash. Repair and re-charge that weapon, or just buy a new, slightly better one for a little more cash? Either way you're making a withdraw.

I'm mostly just saying that it's something that works well when functional as an integrated system, like Morrowind possibly. It all got stuffed in Oblivion with purely linear progression - with the only significant limiting factor being weight.

But I am actually thinking of a system where equipment IS disposable, like in BotW. Not literally, but not dissimilar. Unenchanted crap gear may be something you just pick up and use as you trundle about, letting it break on your enemies, and only pulling out significant enchanted tools when encountering a boss or getting stuck in a rough situation. It's not like TES systems of full loot on killing NPCs (mostly) wouldn't support such a system, and provided the exception to a BotW fully disposable gear system allows you to maintain enchanted gear indefinitely, then it's just a matter of discretion.

I mean, I wouldn't be opposed to it being one of a few difficulty toggles. Something Beth games lack is much control over how a game scales in difficulty, but the argument I would make there is many things get reweighted very poorly even when throwing the difficulty slider around. If the game is well balanced (ha) around durability, then disabling the feature may result in a lot of content losing any identity or significance. I mean, if Orcish weapons are supposed to be very durable steel weapons, but somewhat heavier, well disable duability and now you have a straight downgrade to steel... awkward. It would basically require double workload in content balance and you know; Bethesda.

But I'm mostly just chattering about possibilities, and while I think durability is potentially a valuable system for open world games- evidenced by BotW -I doubt the series will go back that direction especially if the trend is toward an arguably more simple format like BotW.

Ordinator's "Spend 50k for a perk point" is a pretty good money sink. That and upgrading every house.

But once you do that you still have money coming out of your ears. I'm sitting on 170k in cash right now plus around 400 gems because I did the Stones of Barenziah quest...not realizing the prize for it was finding flawless gemstones in every pot in Skryim.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kiggles posted:

You don't have to grind cash though. You might feel obligated to pick up everything you can possibly sell but that doesn't involve any sort of skill commitment on your character's part. I don't like repairing because its tied to skills when you do it yourself, but doing it yourself is so much more convenient than using merchants that it feels lovely not to do it. So its something every character ends up investing in which makes them feel less unique. For a similar reason, I dislike that just selling stuff to merchants passively raises speech in Skyrim. Even if you go out of your way to never do speech challenges because you're not supposed to be a persuasive character, you inevitably end up with speech just from selling items. I tried to make a character with the charisma of a brick and guards still talk about me and my "honeyed words".

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Is that why you can't really have a signature weapon or armor mod?

Yep, although LtSmash was working on one, and had a pretty rad system for implementing it, but I think it's forever stalled. I do have the alpha, but I don't have permission to distribute it. It worked fairly well, but still had some flaws.

Basically, your signature weapon was always actually the same weapon provided by the mod, the mod just used ~~SKSE MAGIC~~ to transmogrify that weapon into a copy of your signature weapon.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a shame you can't distribute, because those two are my favorite New Vegas mods and it'd be cool to use it in Dragon Shout Viking Pretty Princess Dressup Simulator as well.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's a shame you can't distribute, because those two are my favorite New Vegas mods and it'd be cool to use it in Dragon Shout Viking Pretty Princess Dressup Simulator as well.

Next time I see him on Steam (or here) I'll ask if he minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

quote:

(7 Hemomancy spells, 7 Blue Blood abilities, 13 age boons... not a coincidence)
I'm aware the age rewards aren't balanced. They're not supposed to be. The obvious picks are sneak feed and combat feed, but maybe you don't need them or prefer a less godmode playthrough. Then there's an array of QQ preventers such as Oberon's Grail, and finally RP rewards with no actual power level such as Blood Bond.

This sounds like it will be fun