Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

G0RF posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The BBB is an antiquated protection racket for corporate reputations and CIG spent more money paying their people to handle this Polygon brushfire than they’d have had to spend for dues. That soundbite above is an unforced PR error so easily refuted that even the fringe dreamiacs wouldn’t believe it.

And :lol: at Charlie Hall LARPing as investigative reporter.

Clackity-clack-clack DING!

“Is CIG AOK with the BBB — our team investigates because we’re keeping them honest!”

Get real, man. You’re a stenographer sitting between two PR flacks crafting a mutually negotiated press release meant to turn controversy to nontroversy. As usual.

charlie needs to beat his willy to something and keep the good press going. cant splooge and bad press. that doesnt look good and makes one hell of a mess.

intardnation fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

(I can’t believe you’ve had this many replies and nobody said “Nice meltdown.” And nobody pointed out you spelled “defenestrate” incorrectly either. Oh well I won’t break the streak.)

My reply is late so please ignore this if the thread moved on. Seems you made an earnest effort with your defenestration effortpost so I might as well do the same in reply.

“It's to defenstrate this notion that crowdfunding of this magnitude is bad.”

Well that’s a surprising mission statement at this point. MoMA, defenestrator of erroneous notions about crowdfunding at scale, etc.. I just assumed you stayed for the camaraderie and already made peace with the project malaise. I guess I misread that.

It’s honesty been a while since Erin, Sandi or Archer (!) have really been in the hot seat. Feels like Papy’s been made the heat sink for backer dreams this season in his new role. Poor bastard. Oh and Lando, too — laying it on thicker than ever, convincing no one, and leaving many of us nostalgic for the earnestness of the trueblood fanboy Lesnick.

Nobody here thinks Sandi does the Marketing nor have they for ages — she shows up for ATV, occasionally twitters, pursues the next cutting room floor gig with that indomitable drive of hers, drives away Marketing subordinates quarterly, and hits a stage twice a year to tearfully giggle before a crowd as if each new appearance was her accepting a lifetime achievement award for humanitarian work rather than being a big awkward reminder she’s still making fat bank for reading scripts about marginal progress underway for a game she cares not a whit about.

As for Erin and Chris, they both seem to be shrinking and retreating. Chris has pivoted back to Squadron oversight again so that should pretty much kill its hope of release in the next couple of years. Erin was supposed to be a confidence builder for the backers but at this point his machine gun stammer and worrying health signs just seem to heighten anxieties. He may be better off letting the Dukes of High Chill, Papy and Chambers, do the talking. Neither look like they’re about to grab their chest and start gasping — which is optically a more helpful look.

I don’t know how it looks from where you stand but it sure feels to me like 2017 was the year that the expansionist vision of Star Citizen surrendered to contraction and resignation, even though neither CIG nor backers are openly speaking of it. Capitulation is felt and seen everywhere even though old habits die hard and routines run habitually. It’s depressingly thin gruel for comedy sometimes but we do what we can.

CONSIDER THE LIVESTREAMERS

You can really see it on the regular fan livestreams. Redacted, Relay, the Captain’s Table, the Space Bro Show. Nobody is playing the release they spent a year and a half hyped to max about.

It’s widely agreed that 3.01 is unplayable. If it’s not the framerates, it’s the interdictions. If not the interdictions, the broken missions. So everybody’s jamming on Tarkov, Fortnite, Monster Hunter or something, anything else but Star Citizen during their daily streams and when they get together for their weekly discussions with other streamers, they theorycraft about 3.2, 4.0, “what I will do when (x) is in the game”, or they grouse politely about CIG’s gaffes of the last week. The old routines run out of duty, habit, compulsion — even though they rely on an assumption nobody really seems to believe anymore:

“The game will one day be fixed, fun and make possible all of these theorycrafted possibilities for gameplay I’ve been clinging to for years and do so better than all games that came before it.”

(Just listen to Erris on this week’s Relay craptalking about Bethesda’s supposedly terrible lockpicking mechanics and you’ll see him employ this when theorycrafting CIG’s better [but as yet totally undefined] way of implementing hacking in the game...)

The routines die hard, but even the longtime loyalists are exhausted, losing faith, watching the last dimly glowing embers of what was once white hot hope slowly crumble off as ash. Even if stability and performance weren’t such a brutal tax, the meager loops and frustratingly implemented play mechanics in the game are a drag as designed — a fact that guys like Luke Pressley at Foundry openly admit. There’s a huge burden to fix not just what is broken to make what isn’t broken Fun. In year 6.

Erris’s desperate pleading that “We need Chris, too” because “Chris gives me faith” a couple of weeks ago was a miserable drat sight; a dreamoholic with cirrhosis of the brain begging for a shot of the hair of the dog that bit him. Chris’s confidence helps Erris run the magic routine. But Chris is retreating, closing up, slipping away and he might as well, he may be symbolic source of hope for the dreamer collective but he’s the practical source of the project malaise just as Lucas was for the prequels.

Batgirl watched CIG revoke her backstage VIP pass right after they maximized the chance to squeeze it for a little extra CitizenCon 2017 hype — cold-blooded, considering how loyal she’s been and for how long. Now she’s venturing into constructive criticism.

Dan Gheesling said his pained goodbyes after explaining 3.0 didn’t have enough to keep either him or his viewers engaged.

BadNewsBaron wrote an essay of defense of Star Citizen on Medium.com a little while back, but he too has moved on quietly to new games.

Twerk probably didn’t realize the irony last week when he openly bemoaned that the bigger ships made for terrible FPS levels and it really needed fixing — he was only just now seeing problems that Heretic Beer4theBeerGod had written extensive warnings about three years ago. Good thing CIG drove out such voices and left the community a safe space for asskissers and theorycrafters — they’ll have only each other to feed on as they get exactly what they asked for all along, Chris Roberts’s unalloyed vision of the Best drat Space Sim Ever.

The malaise is everywhere — the sense that things have gone horribly wrong is widely felt though not widely acknowledged. It’s the subtext of nearly all discussions about the game between fans and streamers and even from CIG themselves yet never the text save for places like here, or Frontier forums, Derek’s blogs, the refunds subreddit, MassivelyOP or other little heretical outposts here and there. (There’s another very interesting one but I’ll write about that later.)

If the thread feels like a broken record, MoMA well, it’s in part because malaise has been the story here for years.

CIG really seems to be shrinking before our eyes and putting greater distance between leadership and the public than in the dumb ol’ days. Most of the energy and enthusiasm these days has shifted to arguing about the Crytek lawsuit because at least that has a wide range of possible outcomes and will make winners and losers of those playing prediction games. That game has no designer, it’s been improvised on the fly by critics and fans serving their time-honored roles on a new battlefield, yet even that game is a better game than Chris has managed to put out after $180 Million and six years of effort. Seems like that says quite a lot, little of it good.

I still enjoy your participation in the thread, MoMA. How you spend your money is your business and if you want to use big $0.25 words in effort posts I’m hardly one to throw stones. You do you, even if you like to rock the :smuggo: maybe more than you should and the :gary: not enough.

:perfect:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

"HA!" I say, pounding the desk so hard that my keyboard launches into orbit harder than Elon Musk's last ride. "BBB says that Star Citizen is an A+ safety rating! Take that, Derek Smart." I grin and lean back in the security of my ten thousand dollar homemade sim pit, built specifically to play a game that doesn't exist. "How can you possibly come back against an ironclad endorsement like that?" I gesticulate wildly, knocking over the statue of the RSI Constellation MK IV, a cheap chinese piece-of-poo poo model of a ship that cost me one hundred real American dollars and represents an art asset that was refactored so many times that it no longer bears any resemblance to the thing I received, that I cannot even use in game, because the game doesn't exist. "Wait until I tell all the guys on discord about this gaffe! We're gonna bury Chris in money." I pull my Star Citizen t-shirt over my Squadron 42 t-shirt, which I embarrassingly had embroidered with "Answer the call- 2014" and knock aside my Star Citizen joystick, a rebranded Thrustmaster that Chris announced one year in a dream frenzy, endorsed by no less than POLYGON even, before quietly selling the sole demo unit on ebay- good thing I'd been there to snipe it before some unbeliever could! Spittle flying from my unshaven face as I really lean over my now rapidly discoloring Star Citizen mousepad, really getting into my rant, I continue. "drat goons have been trying to say this game can't deliver and is basically just selling us garbage but I think the Better Business Bureau knows a thing or two about selling garbage!" I hold my hand up to shield my Javelin poster from the deluge- it is one of a kind, a real-life representation of the $2,500 dollar spaceship that bought but cannot actually fly because the game doesn't function and the ship itself will never, ever be released; This precious real-life version of the sales brochure jpg is likely the only contact I will ever have with an item that cost me as much as a used car. "Star Citizen can only get better from here, you loving FUD spreaders!" I shout, now apoplectic with rage, so swollen with anger that the Star Citizen badge I have sewn on my Star Citizen track jacket pops off and busts through my monitor. In my paroxysms I accidentally knock my Star Citizen travel mug over and like the horseshit piece of crap that it is, it shatters, sending mountain dew into my expensive gaming rig. Sparks fly as I wave my tiny hands in anger.

I sigh, finally coming back down, and survey the ruins. "Oh well, I've got three or four years to build another computer before the game's really playable." I tighten my kickstarted belt. "In the meantime, I'd better go post on the SA thread. Sounds like some motherfuckers need to get defenestrated."

E: I forgot the jacket link

Pic is author (ficticiously of course)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dasTk3NvMCk

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Lladre posted:

So. I got really drunk at a bear festival on Saturday so I decided to make Sunday gravy while hungover.
(I was already planning on making the gravy just not hung over)

I'm not Italian and I learned this from an Italian gal, and basically every family has their own way of making it so feel free to mix it up.

First the meatballs. Make the meatballs however you want, these are half beef half veal because that's what the butcher had Friday night when I bought the stuff.
(I use salt, pepper an egg and fresh parsley in mine. Except I forgot to put the parsley in being hung over). Put them in a hot pot with a little olive oil in the bottom.

When those are nice and brown on two sides. I pull them out and put them in a oven safe bowl covered in foil in the oven. (I baked them for like five minute while I make the rest)

Next up is some nice boneless pork chops and some de-boned chicken thighs. (If you are thinking of using breast meat just skip chicken all together). These also get browned and most of the fat is rendered off into the pot.

Take those out and onto a cutting board. Since these chops are from the butchers they are extra thick so I cut them into three pieces equal sized. If your chops are thin, you can cut in half or leave them as is. The chicken I cut into large manageable pieces. While you are doing that however you put your sausage in the pot.

(These are from a local Italian butcher shop fresh made there. If you are getting yours in the supermarket go ahead and put more in, they tend to be smaller, just make sure they all touch the pan bottom)
When they are browned, take them out. If they have string like mine, go ahead and cut it off and unlink them. Leave them whole though.

Now you put in a chopped large onion. I use a big Spanish onion. This will start to deglaze the bottom of the pan and also the onions will soak up the menage of animal fats from the previous steps.

(I also forgot to mention I add pepper and a little salt here too as well as season the above pork chops)

This step may look the same but we have a half clove of garlic added after the onions are wilting so it doesn't get burnt.

(Not pictured I de-glazed the pan with some Cabernet. ( I often use lager but I was sick of beer from the festival before)

Followed quickly by crushed tomatoes, and either tomato puree or sauce . The puree is extra thick so I add water that not only gets the last bit of tomato goodness from the cans but also adds volume because the puree is so thick. (If you are not using puree add some paste) If not using puree use another can of crushed tomatoes for three total. Four cans of liquid either way.

(I was going to add that red pepper but wife didn't want it in there so I just left it out to go in the mixed green salad. If you do add the pepper make sure you add it near the end like an hour to go, otherwise you end up with pulpless peppers and no one likes pulpless peppers.)

This is what it looks like. I usually add some herbs in now. Always some parsley. (This time the stuff I forgot to add into the meatballs) most times some fresh basil and maybe in a dash of oregano. The meatballs are not in the sauce yet. We add them back in halfway through cooking)

Begun the slow cook it has. Do not cover the pot. We are reducing the liquid slowly while cooking that delicious animal product.

After about 90 minutes or so of slow cooking. (we want a steady slow bubbling, bloop bloop bloop. Too fast and it's too hot. Too slow and it's too cold.) I add the meatballs back in.
After another hour or so it looks well reduced.

At this point it's nice and reduced so I go ahead and cover the pot and let it cook longer on very low while I make whatever else it is we are going to eat that evening.
Wife loves angel hair so I made a pot of that. Add some butter to it to keep it from sticking.

I toasted some fresh bread and a little olive oil on that (rub a fresh clove of garlic on it for some spicy goodness). Some pecorino romano on the sauce to taste on the plate.

Nice. I made Italian gravy this Sunday as well. Just a tip: you want to use bone-in pork chops always. More flavor. Also: chicken? Blaspheme.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

2018: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlZwE8xbjlc&t=452s magboots dropped.
2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0grZDNdUYY&t=2911s magboots live in engine.
-5 years for feature :toot:
star citizen will be complete in -42 years at this pace.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

and dont forget that project that helped share technology with CIG launches tomorrow. So for all those backers of Kingdom Come - looks like it is a go. Beta looked good so kinda interesting to see how it plays out. Cant be worse then SC!

Fallout VR is turning out pretty good too! not 100% but decent enough for the price I paid.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
MoMA in a nutshell ladies and gentlemen. Bemoans how no one ever took his arguments seriously and so he stopped bothering cause no one was answering, get some answers some of which are pretty in depth and could reasonably be looked at and discussed and what does he do? Argue about language semantics. This is why no one takes you seriously any more.

G0RF posted:

The BBB is an antiquated protection racket for corporate reputations and CIG spent more money paying their people to handle this Polygon brushfire than they’d have had to spend for dues. That soundbite above is an unforced PR error so easily refuted that even the fringe dreamiacs wouldn’t believe it.

“Is CIG AOK with the BBB — our team investigates because we’re keeping them honest!”

Get real, man. You’re a stenographer sitting between two PR flacks crafting a mutually negotiated press release meant to turn controversy to nontroversy. As usual.

Hey now Charlie's had it rough since he couldn't come out and give the full name of the Star Citizen promise tracker owner for backers to search for, hunt down, kill, and consume to gain new and greater and more terrifying powers.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
GLASSDOOR: CIG Interview for UK Lighting Artist

quote:

Feb 8, 2018
Lighting Artist Interview
Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

+ Accepted Offer
+ Positive Experience
+/- Average Interview

Application
I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Cloud Imperium Games (Manchester, England (UK)) in April 2016. (?)

Interview
I was introduced this role by a recruiter from ob agency, she explained the background of the company and other information. After getting my permission to submit my CV to the company, I got a lighting test. After the test, I got a Skype interview, super friendly atmosphere.

Interview Questions
Start with an introduction, and the test I made. Majorly talk about the previous project I worked on, and how do I resolve tricky problems. general question about art and design background I have.

YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs

Special guest appearance by Turbulent talking about new Org Tools in Spectrum.

I just heard my favorite dev quote ever: “We’ll never rule it out but we also have no plans for it.”

:five::five::five:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 12, 2018

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Business_Bureau#Criticism

:gary:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Isn't the BBB rather toothless?

It's pre-internet Yelp.

e: beaten like a feather duster in a tickler in black video.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 13, 2018

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Future Polygon Article

"Chris Roberts Accepts BBB Certificate Award"

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

ManofManyAliases posted:

Daztek posted:

how many people need to agree "star citizen is bad" for it to become accepted

51-75% of the current number of backers/users holding accounts, I would assume . . .

Only people thrown out of windows can define defenestrate?

HycoCam posted:

:golfclap: Baby Steps.... Great to see you go from "quote the poo poo out of this" to "there exists a possibility [of a space simulation]"!

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Can we get 30-40 more people to quote each of MoMA's retarded posts please?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bootcha posted:

Future Polygon Article

You're alive!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Brutal Takedown

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Bootcha posted:

Future Polygon Article

beaten but not forgotten.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Can do friend.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Which ones are your favorites, quote them and I will too

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

"Thread title" posted:

Star Citizer: final fantasy derridia opera momentum XVI: hyper diamond shine gloss ef

What the gently caress? And why is it not Final Fantasy diarhea? Or kaka owkwa

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Reading the thread, but really I just want taxes.

RoboKy, seriously, where's that pic of Grimlock biting Skywarp from?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Toops fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 13, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bootcha posted:

Future Polygon Article

RELEASE THE TAPES!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Can we get 30-40 more people to complain about other people's posting please?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
You guys are focusing too exclusively on a narrow definition of defenestration.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

I launched a Tweet storm at him :grin:

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/963197953895813121

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/963156763242631170

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Hmm I've not seen this disclaimer in the thread yet. Nice find Derek.

TheGodofIris
Oct 12, 2016

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free
I think Derek has brain AIDS.

TheGodofIris fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 13, 2018

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Virtual Captain posted:

You are making a PLEDGE

Click to confirm your ORDER

Items PURCHASED using store credits

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

SomethingJones posted:

You are making a PLEDGE

Click to confirm your ORDER

Items PURCHASED using store credits

:trustme:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love all these loving changes to their ToS like its going to save them from a judge when the poo poo hits the fan

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
LMAO none of that matters in the slightest, not even in the US and especially not in countries with actual consumer protections.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

What happened to this race course? Teased in September 2017

Just imagine being a mod of the /r/starcitizen subreddit. lol

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

It literally says 'you are making a pledge, not a purchase', then it tells you to click to confirm your order, then at the bottom it talks about purchases with store credits.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I love all these loving changes to their ToS like its going to save them from a judge when the poo poo hits the fan

they're just making it ever higher levels of iron-clad :smug:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Star Citizen: Pledge, Order, Purchase

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Culling All Devs

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

AlbieQuirky posted:

My avatar is now in love with ^^

Have you ever been to the Monterey Bay Aquarium? If you haven’t, and you get a chance, go.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

SomethingJones posted:

It literally says 'you are making a pledge, not a purchase', then it tells you to click to confirm your order, then at the bottom it talks about purchases with store credits.

Competence displayed consistently at all levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

xoFcitcrA posted:

RoboKy, seriously, where's that pic of Grimlock biting Skywarp from?

Beats me, someone bought it for me as an avatar when I was doing an LP of Transformers: Devastation, a game which is no longer available cause Activision didn't renew the rights for it!

Virtual Captain posted:

This is 100% to dissuade people who don't know their consumer rights and has absolutely no bearings in any modern country's trade/consumer rights laws, and is just another grand indicator on the scummy levels this mob of jerks will go to in order to keep the lights on for their festival of failure. Looking forwards to the next wave of refunds saying "Okay so we don't have to do this but we will this one time totally" the second this gets even remotely challenged.