Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Suspicious Dish posted:

i swear i posted this startup in here before but just

this whole idea. i do not like it

https://stdlib.com/

quote:

We're making web development simple again.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

feedmegin posted:

Looks like a tasty Tide pod

I found this way funnier than it probably is.... Now the image of a guy coding at his desk munching on a tide pod is stuck in my head

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Statement-Exprs.html

This even says "Jumping into a statement expression with goto or using a switch statement outside the statement expression with a case or default label inside the statement expression is not permitted."

So I'm guessing it's just undefined behavior from the compiler.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Clang just forgot some error checking when reimplementing a nonstandard extension, presumably because the goal was mostly just to make sure they could compile existing things targetting gcc.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
A crypto currency exchange lost $170 million because a check account balance was only implemented as client-side JavaScript

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
For years on my Thinkpads I have been tolerating the behavior that clicks just do not work sometimes. There's no explanation given for this behavior and Googling just that is of no help.

I eventually realized it only ignores clicks right after typing, or while typing. Only after realizing that, plus days more of Googling different things, can one find out that Windows 10 has a "feature" for touchpad-friendliness to disable touch for one second if the keyboard is used.

This obviously makes playing games impossible (such as web games, not ones that explicitly take over all controls). You simply can't use the keyboard and mouse together.

I make web games, so this has tormented me endlessly as it's always a guessing game as to whether the page got the input I entered or not.

The code horror is where I found the solution to turning this behavior off. In Windows 10 you have to find this exact settings page, which gives you these choices:

These counter intuitive choices have terrible hidden side effects. If you choose anything besides "Most Sensitive" here, Windows 10 will take that to mean that you obviously want all clicks to be ignored for one second whenever the keyboard is used.

:stare:

Who thought that was a good idea, and how many people have lost productivity from not knowing the true meaning of "Most Sensitive"?

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 11, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
e: not opening the windows can of worms lol

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

xtal posted:

e: not opening the windows can of worms lol

Why not? Seems on-topic for the thread

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The labeling is terrible, but touch rejection during typing is basically required for larger touchpads for people who rest their hands on the laptop while typing.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

:ohdear:

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

For years on my Thinkpads I have been tolerating the behavior that clicks just do not work sometimes. There's no explanation given for this behavior and Googling just that is of no help.

I eventually realized it only ignores clicks right after typing, or while typing. Only after realizing that, plus days more of Googling different things, can one find out that Windows 10 has a "feature" for touchpad-friendliness to disable touch for one second if the keyboard is used.

This obviously makes playing games impossible (such as web games, not ones that explicitly take over all controls). You simply can't use the keyboard and mouse together.

I make web games, so this has tormented me endlessly as it's always a guessing game as to whether the page got the input I entered or not.

The code horror is where I found the solution to turning this behavior off. In Windows 10 you have to find this exact settings page, which gives you these choices:

These counter intuitive choices have terrible hidden side effects. If you choose anything besides "Most Sensitive" here, Windows 10 will take that to mean that you obviously want all clicks to be ignored for one second whenever the keyboard is used.

:stare:

Who thought that was a good idea, and how many people have lost productivity from not knowing the true meaning of "Most Sensitive"?

This reminded me when I tried to disable a hard coded keybind in OSX which is alt+click when switching between windows. What it does is hide the current window and focuses on the one you click on. This gets really annoying when I have maya on the left, and a reference on the right. As maya uses alt click to rotate the 3D model, so naturally I just forget when switching between the two. I'm really curious if there are people out there who know/use alt click for its original purpose.

I still haven't found a way to disable it.

Nude fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 12, 2018

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

iSeries call, oh boy

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

TIME TO VOMIT BLOOD OVER EVERYTHING YOU HOLD DEAR

http://www.veryant.com/products/cobol-mobile.html

quote:

isCOBOL Mobile from Veryant, now available for Android compatible devices, provides a comprehensive, cost-effective COBOL solution for application development on mobile devices. Developers that are thinking to provide applications running on tablets and phones can take advange of this new add-on of isCOBOL Evolve suite for many reasons:
<snip>hate hate hate</snip>

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
This guy i worked with worked for Microsoft previously

Apparently they spent a lotta time thinking about making a sql query thing for Windows file system, with both programmatic api and repl

Have them injections in your drat file explorer

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

duck monster posted:

I tried to find a picture of Grace Hopper smiling at the camera, but no such picture seems to exist, so this will have to do:

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

quote:

apparently they spent a lotta time thinking about making a sql query thing for Windows file system, with both programmatic api and repl

The idea was quite good, but at some point this thing "internet" took over and people use online services to organize their stuff with tags and labels anyway, so the whole "database file system" became a bit useless

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

duck monster posted:

I get the impression their marketing guy isn't a native English speaker

canis minor
May 4, 2011

duck monster posted:

https://udash.io/

quote:

Based on Scala.js Udash is a Scala framework for building beautiful and maintainable Web Applications

M31
Jun 12, 2012
code:
PROGRAM-ID. hello. 
CONFIGURATION SECTION. 
REPOSITORY. 
    class web-area as "com.iscobol.rts.HTTPHandler"

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION. 
01 hello-buffer identified by "_comm_buffer"
   03 filler identified by "_status"
      05 response-status pic x(2). 
   03 filler identified by "_message" 
      05 response-message pic x any length. 
   03 filler identified by "hellotext"
      05 xml-hellotext pic x any length. 

LINKAGE SECTION. 
01 lnk-area object reference web-area. 

PROCEDURE DIVISION using lnk-area. 
main-logic. 
    move "Operation successful" to response-message. 
    move "OK" to response-status. 
    move "Hello World from isCOBOL!" to xml-hellotext.
    lnk-area:>displayXML (hello-buffer).
    goback. 

quote:

goback.

As if using COBOL isn't enough you also get to gently caress around with Java deployment descriptors and jQuery v1.

edit:
The above code doesn't actually do anything, you need to create a WebView from Java, then use jQuery 1 to query the webserver running in COBOL (on Java) to display anything. Also, the tutorial skips all good practices from the last 10 years and uses a version of the Android SDK that hasn't been supported since 2015.

M31 fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 12, 2018

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

M31 posted:

code:
PROGRAM-ID. hello. 
CONFIGURATION SECTION. 
REPOSITORY. 

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION. 

LINKAGE SECTION. 

main-logic. 
    goback. 
As if using COBOL isn't enough you also get to gently caress around with Java deployment descriptors and jQuery v1.

edit:
The above code doesn't actually do anything, you need to create a WebView from Java, then use jQuery 1 to query the webserver running in COBOL (on Java) to display anything. Also, the tutorial skips all good practices from the last 10 years and uses a version of the Android SDK that hasn't been supported since 2015.

Awful.apk rewrite looking good

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Sagacity posted:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

This guy i worked with worked for Microsoft previously

Apparently they spent a lotta time thinking about making a sql query thing for Windows file system, with both programmatic api and repl

Have them injections in your drat file explorer

The idea was quite good, but at some point this thing "internet" took over and people use online services to organize their stuff with tags and labels anyway, so the whole "database file system" became a bit useless

Wasn't this one of the things they wanted to do for Longhorn that got dropped in the rush to release Vista?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ochowie posted:

Wasn't this one of the things they wanted to do for Longhorn that got dropped in the rush to release Vista?

Yes

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

WinFS initially survived the Vista pivot and was going to come out in a post-release service pack, but even with a few more years of work on it they never really got it to a usable state.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I always thought WinFS was a neat idea and I hoped they would get it going.

To this day I've never been happy with the various local indexing solutions.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I always thought WinFS was a neat idea and I hoped they would get it going.

To this day I've never been happy with the various local indexing solutions.

It is a neat idea (there was a MySQL FUSE filesystem too in linux). The problem is that Google made all of it irrelevant. Local indexing? Not an issue anymore. Upload it to the cloud and google will be more than happy to index them for you. Global indexing? At your fingertips, just need a web browser.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Volguus posted:

It is a neat idea (there was a MySQL FUSE filesystem too in linux). The problem is that Google made all of it irrelevant. Local indexing? Not an issue anymore. Upload it to the cloud and google will be more than happy to index them for you. Global indexing? At your fingertips, just need a web browser.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing for years, but I'd rather it be as easy as searching from the start menu whose search I find lacking.

Start key, type, enter...my document opens. Not quite as smooth as that when using Google Drive.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

M31 posted:

code:
PROGRAM-ID. hello. 
CONFIGURATION SECTION. 
REPOSITORY. 

WORKING-STORAGE SECTION. 

LINKAGE SECTION. 

main-logic. 
    goback. 

edit:

My first IT job in the early 90s was maintaining lovely old COBOL for the tax dept. God I detest that language.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

https://github.com/azac/cobol-on-wheelchair

At least these guys have a sense of humor about it.

"Report-host-terminal" pattern lol

duck monster fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 13, 2018

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Naming is hard:

http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2018-February/094769.html

This collection of absolute loving morons on show here is...something I guess.

(tl/dr guy who wrote the Erlang webserver Cowboy releases a package manager. It's called Coon. Mononcqc politely suggests that this a bad name. Cowboy guy plants his flag on his hill, several other fuckwits join him, someone suggests if it gets on Reddit front page any publicity would be good publicity, yadda yadda yadda)

Edit: Cowboy guy didn't release it, he just seems to be staunchest defender of the name

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 13, 2018

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

RobertKerans posted:

Naming is hard:

http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2018-February/094769.html

This collection of absolute loving morons on show here is...something I guess.

(tl/dr guy who wrote the Erlang webserver Cowboy releases a package manager. It's called Coon. Monoqc politely suggests that this a bad name. Cowboy guy plants his flag on his hill, several other fuckwits join him, someone suggests if it gets on Reddit front page any publicity would be good publicity, yadda yadda yadda)

I would like to present a list of well known emacs packages/terminology:
Smex
Ffap
Tramp
Sexp

And it seems like I'm the only one who notices haha. But I agree that's a particular bad name, and I'm not surprise programmers are being stubborn and dense about it.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

code:
    /// <summary>ToJson.</summary>
    /// <returns>string</returns>
    /// <param name="config">The config variables.</param>
    public string JsonToString(IOpserveConfiguration config)
    {
      this.propertyName = null;
      var ret = JsonConvert.SerializeObject(this, Formatting.None, config.SerialiserSettings);

return ret;
    }
I wasn't going to post this but this is the second time that I have had this exact piece of code appear in a pull request, the first of which I rejected with a strong explanation that mutating the internal state of an object before returning a string representation of it is ah, not going to be fun for anyone/anything wanting to access that property afterwards.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
No discussion of COBOL-based web frameworks is complete without a mention of COBOL on Cogs.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Nude posted:

I would like to present a list of well known emacs packages/terminology:
Smex
Ffap
Tramp
Sexp

And it seems like I'm the only one who notices haha. But I agree that's a particular bad name, and I'm not surprise programmers are being stubborn and dense about it.

Loads of people arguing that it's north-America-specific and won't mean anything to foreigners... while ignoring the fact that (1) north Americans is a lot of people and (2) given you (generic you) know about the connotations of the term in north America, and still have the opportunity to choose a better name, you should take that opportunity.

Programmers are terrible people

Wasn't there some library that caused drama because it was named "libpantyshot" or something like that? That's nearly as bad. Who wants to use something whose name seeks to remind you of the creator's boner.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Hammerite posted:

Loads of people arguing that it's north-America-specific and won't mean anything to foreigners... while ignoring the fact that (1) north Americans is a lot of people and (2) given you (generic you) know about the connotations of the term in north America, and still have the opportunity to choose a better name, you should take that opportunity.

Wasn't there some library that caused drama because it was named "libpantyshot" or something like that? That's nearly as bad. Who wants to use something whose name seeks to remind you of the creator's boner.

the pantyshot incident i remember is some dev posting an honest-to-god snapped-in-a-subway panty shot in their syndicated personal blog.

M31
Jun 12, 2012

Hammerite posted:

The one I remember had some weird paedophile naming convention, complete with kidnappers

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Hammerite posted:

quote:

And secondly, should you censor a word that's otherwise perfectly fine
because of its use in slang? It'll get some radical activists angry for
sure so it depends on whether you see this as a good or a bad thing.
Nowadays that tends to be a good thing.

Most people will not think twice about it.

quote:

The idea that a software library that happens to share name with a racial
slur that is over 180 years old and has not been part of common social use
for several decades would make people angry is ridiculous. Especially when
the word as meanings that pre-date the slur. If that upsets you to the
point where you are unable to get past it then it is time to unplug your
tv, your radio and your internet and live a life of peaceful solitude.

quote:

Frankly speaking, I've expected another type of questions, when writing
announcement.
Again - I selected name `coon` because `raccoon` was occupied. That's all.

Also I've always beleived that programmers are beyond the politics, sexism
and all kind of discriminations. So not using library, that can potentially
be useful is a little bit surprising for me.

It's a pity, that today I can't fully use language to express what I would
like to. But to make everyone happy, I will create a wrapper around coon
for those who don't like coon name itself.

P.S.: Just think - prohibiting words in the language will finally leave you
with empty vocabulary.

I just...the whole thing just gets worse and worse and worse and ffffuck, just change the loving name

Hammerite posted:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Alternative namings taken from synonyms - ringtail, procyon - and that's where English is not my primary language (I mean there are probably some weird native/regional words for racoon he could have used). I'd think that taking context into consideration is something that programmers should know about; instead he chose "blip, blop, i'm a robot, all words are equal"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Odds are he wanted to name it a racial slur to begin with, and then went reaching around for some plausible deniability.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

RobertKerans posted:

quote:

It'll get some radical activists angry for
sure so it depends on whether you see this as a good or a bad thing.
Nowadays that tends to be a good thing.

What kind of communities do you have to mix in in order for this reasoning to appear sensible on any level

"I was going to call my new software library something innocuous, so that we could all get on with productive work. But then it occurred to me that it's important to trigger the cucks on occasion"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hammerite posted:

What kind of communities do you have to mix in in order for this reasoning to appear sensible on any level

"I was going to call my new software library something innocuous, so that we could all get on with productive work. But then it occurred to me that it's important to trigger the cucks on occasion"

Jabor posted:

Odds are he wanted to name it a racial slur to begin with, and then went reaching around for some plausible deniability.