Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hjalmar posted:

sergei owns

remember when he revealed he had like jetpack legs or something and then blasted away with yuzu

i hollered & pumped my fist when that happened

My favorite is during the Jack Atlas duel where he smashes his face into the console to fuse with his motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

we didn't deserve sergei

RIP beaten to death by children with sticks

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My favourite part is the part where Kaiba's new duel disk is so special it defies even magic

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i mean dimension dueling is like shadow games and depletes your stamina and poo poo. atem showed up to draw one card in a bullshit cheat game that yugi had pretty much already won after beating the badguy's and kiba's rear end one after another i really don't find it so damaging to yugi's arc

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I liked Dimension Duels cause I always appreciate having alternate rules every now and then to mix things up. Who didn't love the Labyrinth Duel? I'd love if Konami released a PDF document that listed Deck Master effects and Speed Counter Costs for Spells etc. for people to use.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I loved the heck out of Dark Side of the Dimension even if I didn't really care for the ineffectual villain.

Sure, Atem came to save Yugi in the end, but Yugi had just gone through 2 previous duels and he was also dealing with some weirdass rules that were never explained to him properly.

Plus, the whole debacle was a result of some weirdass 8th Millennium Item, and since the items were supposed to be sealed away with Atem, I just saw it as Atem coming back to finish his job and then leaving.

Also whatever happened to the people that Aigama used his Item on before Joey and Bakura, like those Kaiba hechmen and that bully dude.

Are they just dead.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Joey got shafted :colbert: Should've at least gotten to duel someone.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

From what I've seen, the movie regresses Kaiba more than it does Yugi. I mean, he'd gotten legitimate character development by the end of the manga, and yet the guy's back to being as obsessed as before.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's a really good play of where he ended up at the manga. On top of reopening his trauma of associated defeat with death, he simply lost the relationship that was driving his betterment. Kaiba going back on his obsessive bullshit is a great driving force for the series, and seeing it go in the movie was great. Specially since there's still growth in it, he doesn't attempt to harm anyone but Aigami, and he doesn't try to kill Aigami via a game like he used to.

Kaiba has everything to be a great part of the society around him, but that's because he is so strong-willed and unsatisfied with the world that he pushes his own actions that make him become an opinion-leader. He makes Domino much richer of a city, invents an amazing new duel disk and renovates the game via card streaming and collective consciousness defining the monster models. But none of that are his goals, him attempting to find Atem, his insane drive, leads to those after effects, hence why he becomes the defacto leader of Domino that nobody even questions.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of Kaiba

https://twitter.com/flameswxrds/status/963031990630043648

:v:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Doesn't Kaiba making living in Domino City illegal without owning a duel disk?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Bee posted:

Doesn't Kaiba making living in Domino City illegal without owning a duel disk?

hes saving them from a duel monster-less life

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So, this week Go Onizuka and Revolver face each other. During the duel, it is revealed what card Revolver used to defeat Emma. The terrifying card was Mirror Force. Just plain ol' loving mirror force destroys every monster in ATK mode. I was loving dying at this. I love when classic cards come back, but jesus.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, this week Go Onizuka and Revolver face each other. During the duel, it is revealed what card Revolver used to defeat Emma. The terrifying card was Mirror Force. Just plain ol' loving mirror force destroys every monster in ATK mode. I was loving dying at this. I love when classic cards come back, but jesus.

This is almost as stupid as the fact we're spending 3 episodes on a duel that cannot end in any way but Go's loss and Playmaker taking over, exactly like just happened with Aoi and Specter.

Guys I don't think I'm still enjoying VRAINS. :(

e: Come to think of the the Mirror Force reveal really poorly colours Ghost Girl's character as a Duelist. What kind of control player not only doesn't anticipate Mirror Force or anything like it, but hasn't even heard of it to such an extent that she can't adequately describe it after seeing it played?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 14, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

AlphaKretin posted:

This is almost as stupid as the fact we're spending 3 episodes on a duel that cannot end in any way but Go's loss and Playmaker taking over, exactly like just happened with Aoi and Specter.

Guys I don't think I'm still enjoying VRAINS. :(

e: Come to think of the the Mirror Force reveal really poorly colours Ghost Girl's character as a Duelist. What kind of control player not only doesn't anticipate Mirror Force or anything like it, but hasn't even heard of it to such an extent that she can't adequately describe it after seeing it played?

Obviously she's a "modern player", when was the last time you saw the card in question in an actual game?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Obviously she's a "modern player", when was the last time you saw the card in question in an actual game?

Ignoring the fact it has a number of variants that see a decent amount of play, which I said "anything like" to account for, it actually does pop up in particularly swarmy formats like Zoo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It was meta for much of 2017:

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/card/Mirror+Force

Also, gently caress VRAINS. This series is the loving worst.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I really like the meta anti-climax it has going. We expected some kinda bullshit megacard, but nah, it's just loving Mirror Force, a card we can relate as scary. It's still a big surprise since that card hasn't been Used in the anime in forever (like, the most 'recent' example is that it's Implied it was used in the Flashback IV vs Shark duel that was never shown)

It sucks that Emma had to chump like that and not even relay what the card was, but I do enjoy that Revolver's tactic for it wasn't just to set it and use it, but to bait for big Link spam both times. Get the opponent into a tunnel-vision scenario and wipe them off. It's a small Tactic, one that thankfully doesn't actually end the duel now that it's shown.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I will say Vrains captures actual yugioh very effectively

Like that one duel where they both brick in the first turn

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Raserys posted:

I will say Vrains captures actual yugioh very effectively

Like that one duel where they both brick in the first turn

What's best is that it was actually a great duel, what with seeing both players have to come up with strategies too escape from their terrible brickings.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

galagazombie posted:

What's best is that it was actually a great duel, what with seeing both players have to come up with strategies too escape from their terrible brickings.

Lonely Brave:
No Gimmick Duels
No Situational One-Shot Cards
No Anime-Only Cards
No Gimmick Duels
100% Win Rate
Wins All Duels With OTK
Won A Duel With One (1) Card
Has Won Duels Despite Dead Opening Hand

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I appreciate the Lonely Brace duel for them bluffing despite getting bad draws, it doesn't happen enough.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lonely Brave vs Hanoi is quite possibly the pinnacle of all Yu-Gi-Oh! duel writing.

https://twitter.com/RANK10YGO/status/930823553217454080

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The Chad Lonely Brave:
No Gimmick Duels
No Situational One-Shot Cards
No Anime-Only Cards
No Gimmick Duels
100% Win Rate
Wins All Duels With OTK
Won A Duel With One (1) Card
Has Won Duels Despite Dead Opening Hand
Kicks your rear end with a structure deck from 2004
Admires his hero despite their inferiority, respects his enemy despite their stupidity
Content to defend justice from the alleyways in relative obscurity

The virgin playmaker
Always Gimmick duels
Cant win without a random new card out of his rear end
Who cares win rate
Obviously buys overpriced singles to stay 'meta'
Cant play without an audience
1. Cant bluff for poo poo
2. Would give up if not for crutch Ai help
3. Reveals his plans to enemies

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 15, 2018

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

does anyone have that arc-v video of the ancient gear soldiers mudering civilians set to Get Your Game On

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ruggington posted:

does anyone have that arc-v video of the ancient gear soldiers mudering civilians set to Get Your Game On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlOInYn5-_0

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

We really need to put that in the op.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

danke

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/_sorawo/status/966544032653484032

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Zane wishes he was that cool.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

https://streamable.com/q6v1u

https://streamable.com/f3maa

the arc-v dub fuckin owns

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So, during the reairing of Pyramid of Light in theaters, they stuck in EP1 of the Vrains dub. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KmS5Eo_I76XupvYPt7GQ0qpAQQOz_6K2/view

They definitely brought their A game, but I'm curious how long that'll stay. 5D's also had a great first episode dub, but wound up pretty weak overall.

Also Ai's voice owns.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

e: Sorry, accidentally hit post again in this window by mistake.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 13, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is VRAINS still worth watching? After a while, I gave up on it because it started to feel like the Synchro world of ARC V where absolutely nothing happened.

Then that one dude apologized on Twitter for how bad one of the episodes were?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is VRAINS still worth watching? After a while, I gave up on it because it started to feel like the Synchro world of ARC V where absolutely nothing happened.

Then that one dude apologized on Twitter for how bad one of the episodes were?

Nah, he apologized for having to do so many recap episodes. The production is hell held together with scotchtape and gallop is bleeding staff faster than it can hire.

VRAINS is still worth it, but I wouldn't stop anyone who wants to drop off. Whenever I feel overtly negative, it gets one Really good episode that plays with the Yusaku, the Lost Incident, Ai and Revolver in just the right way to keep me hooked. Or GO puts on a mask and does a heel turn. It does well enough, but the cast is mostly defined by how well they can interact with Yusaku, with few flashes of interaction with each other.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I'm waiting for the guide of which episodes to skip like what was done for 5Ds/Zexal before I get back into it.

I don't have much hope for Yugioh anime as a whole anymore with how long they've been in production hell & dragging down the quality. Maybe when television draws its final breath and they switch to a streaming service that doesn't live or die on pushing out garbage every week to maintain a coveted timeslot they might be able to make something that Doesn't Suck? I don't know.

I feel like a lot of my dreams are hinging on obsolete capitalist structures collapsing sooner than later.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm working my way through the second half of Arc-V right now and god a lot of the Synchro world draaaaaags and we don't get to spend a lot of time with out protagonists who are actually likable in favor of shittier versions of Crow and JACK ATLUS, THE MASTER OF FASTER, THE SULTAN OF SPEED, who seem to just be shittier cause Yusei wasn't around to balance out their shittier tendencies.

BUT holy poo poo the final duel with Yuya and Jack is so loving great and finally let Yuya put his money where his mouth was when it comes to his convictions about dueling and it tied so well into the themes clashing between him and Jack it almost made the whole slog worth it.

I really hope some of the less interesting Lancers beef it soon. Super Heavy Samurai boy doesn't deserve such a cool archetype and who could possibly even care about the Ninja. Also they need to let smug Rival/Leader actually do things sometimes. He's basically just Kaiba but 10000% more smug but they don't utilize him like they did Kaiba in the OG series.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm working my way through the second half of Arc-V right now and god a lot of the Synchro world draaaaaags and we don't get to spend a lot of time with out protagonists who are actually likable in favor of shittier versions of Crow and JACK ATLUS, THE MASTER OF FASTER, THE SULTAN OF SPEED, who seem to just be shittier cause Yusei wasn't around to balance out their shittier tendencies.

BUT holy poo poo the final duel with Yuya and Jack is so loving great and finally let Yuya put his money where his mouth was when it comes to his convictions about dueling and it tied so well into the themes clashing between him and Jack it almost made the whole slog worth it.

I really hope some of the less interesting Lancers beef it soon. Super Heavy Samurai boy doesn't deserve such a cool archetype and who could possibly even care about the Ninja. Also they need to let smug Rival/Leader actually do things sometimes. He's basically just Kaiba but 10000% more smug but they don't utilize him like they did Kaiba in the OG series.

The show just gets worse from that point on

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

corn in the bible posted:

The show just gets worse from that point on

Does best boy Shin NEO NEO Sawatori Deus get to do...anything, ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm actually watching Arc-V again since it's on Netflix Australia. You can really tell that it started losing steam at about episode 20 or thereabouts; during the bit where Yuya is fighting for qualification and he faces Billy Quizboy or whatever his name is. He's probably my most hated Yugioh character and is easily the low point of the first season.
It's a shame because the supporting cast is really good in the first season; Sawatari is a really amusing antagonist, Gong has some great lines (and has a cool archetype), Zuzu is a female yugioh character that actually does something and there's a great sense of showmanship about the whole thing.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Does best boy Shin NEO NEO Sawatori Deus get to do...anything, ever?

ahahahaha

no :shepicide:

edit: At least we got Sergey aka the horniest character in Yu-Gi-Oh history. I mean how else do you explain the thorn prisoner cards?

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 28, 2018