Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Molten Llama posted:

I've got a Haier ventless combo washer/dryer and the elbow on one of the supply hoses busted open. I thought this would be an easy fix, but the owner's manual specifies it uses metric threads at the inlets (and thus needs a hose that's metric only at the machine end). As I am in the glorious USA, metric is not our normal plumbing system of choice. :911:

Calls to the local major plumbing houses have resulted in three people telling me they've never heard of such a thing — even the guys that service quirky Euro brands like Bosch and Electrolux, which purportedly also use half-metric supply hoses.

Am I nuts? Are the parts counter guys nuts? Am I just not asking for the right thing? I'd have test fit a regular hose already but the inlets are integral to the fill valves and "buy $100 valve because I chewed off some plastic threads" isn't on my to-do list.

The threads in the existing hose look pretty much identical end to end, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Try just matching up the male threads. If the threads intertwine between 2 male ends, then you know that the thread pitch is the same. Drag the male end of your garden hose indoors. Does its threads match up with the attachment on your combo unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to add an adaptor to my single kitchen faucet to run a portable dishwasher, but I'd also like to add a spray nozzle to it. Is this possible to do without having to buy a new faucet or swapping the adapters out as needed?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Like, one of those installed spray nozzles? Those connect down below and you should be just fine.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

I'd like to add an adaptor to my single kitchen faucet to run a portable dishwasher, but I'd also like to add a spray nozzle to it. Is this possible to do without having to buy a new faucet or swapping the adapters out as needed?

You'd need a 4 hole sink, a faucet with a separate sprayer, then replace the aerator with the portable dishwasher adapter.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RandomPauI posted:

GE says don't do it: http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=22374

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bitch that's why you get the braided steel sink sprayer hoses. gently caress that rigid plastic ugliness.

Nah I totally get it. My current sink has a pull-out head/sprayer, but also a separate adapter faucet for the dishwasher.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

RandomPauI posted:

I thought of another way to do it. Get a pullout fixture so you got your sprayer on the aerator arm, then add a single temp faucet for the dishwasher. The problem is that most single temp faucets are effing expensive.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 30, 2018

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Any thoughts on this kitchen faucet? Turns out it's really hard figure out which faucets are good.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-C..._-205331103-_-N

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Any thoughts on this kitchen faucet? Turns out it's really hard figure out which faucets are good.

It looks like a decent quality faucet, but you'll need to wear kitchen checks while you use it. Post a pic of this pls.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't recognise the brand but always check for parts availability. Because it won't matter how nice (or exotic ) your faucet is if you can't get replacement parts for it easily.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why is Pex so good if I have to buy a $60 crimping tool? Where are the savings? I just want to move a washing machine valve 2' over.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 3, 2018

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Why is Pex so good if I have to buy a $60 crimping tool? Where are the savings? I just want to move a washing machine valve 2' over.

2 feet? Just get longer hoses.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kid sinister posted:

2 feet? Just get longer hoses.

I'm stacking the washer and dryer, and I don't like the valves being against the wall on the far side of the appliances. I'm putting them in a reachable location.

I got an open box Sharkbite brand Pocket Crimper for $12.38. You need to use a vise grip for leverage, but it works.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

You can rent the pex tool from home depot usually. Just prefab all your crimps then go rent the cripper and do it all in an hour or two.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Quick (hopefully) question and answer.

So my toilet has been rocking a lot lately and annoying the poo poo out of me, so I decided to tear it down and see what all the hullabaloo was about.

So quick backstory: Previous owners remodeled a back porch. Back porch is badly out of level (Whether by design or by settling, not sure). So they did this really loving stupid thing where they ripped some angled 2x4's and put like 1/4" plywood on top. They also put a drain pipe there.

On to my issue. After tearing this down, there was wax EVERYWHERE. I should have taken a picture of it, but it was all squished out of the back, all around the flange, was all around the toilet bolts. Basically a goddamn mess. Well I cleaned it up, and noticed the orange flange was pretty badly out of level. The thing is, I've never (in my INCREDIBLY limited plumbing experience) seen where the anchor flange part separates from the PVC (ABS I think actually?) like that, which is where I have a feeling the crux of the problem starts. The black ABS/plastic bit is pretty far above the flooring. The orange flange was sitting on the floor smothered in wax, with a grand total of 3 screws in it, two of which were up about a half inch, one of those pretty well having no grip into any real wood.

So goons, am I going to be able to shore this up with shims, throw a new o-ring on it, level the toilet and possibly shim it up, or am I going to have to tear out the floor and basically rebuild the support under this drat thing, or just shim up the toilet itself to level (I have some plywood, but it gonna be ugly), or am I going to have to go under, cut the pipe and shorten that down, THEN shim poo poo? That pipe just looks really far above the floor to me.

Back again! Finally got under the house and it's about as bad as I thought.

So out of the ground comes a 4" cast iron pipe. They used one of these to couple some 4" black pipe, a few 45's, cumulating into this:

And yes it's completely glued together. The toilet is offset from the pipe by a few inches (no measurements. 3 or so inches). Is there something I can replace this with fairly easily?

Looking at this on the toilet end and something like this on the cast, with some 45's inbetween? I have the pipe and potentially the 45's from when I was putting in my storm water drains. Do I need to put anything else between the cast and pvc?

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
I have a problem with my well.

I have a cabin place that we winterize and let it freeze. I came up this weekend, but turned on the heat a few days before I went up and it was nice and toasty inside.
The well is one that does NOT have a pitless adapter; out from the top of the well a pipe runs into the house. This pipe freezing has never been a problem, however this is the coldest its been while we have been operating it (-11F).

This morning the person I am up here with got up before me and used the bathroom. I went in about ~5 minutes after and noticed the well running noise, but not the gurggling of water; the pipe froze.

My questions:
  • I was under the impression that this section of outdoor pipe drained when not pressurized back down into the well. But since it froze, this seems to be wrong. The horizontal into-the-house pipe has standing water in it. Does this sound right?
  • If there is standing water in this section of pipe, we have not been winterizing properly it for the past 40 years. How would I winterize this?
  • Since this is NOT a "pitless adapter well", but is pitless. What is it called? The cap is solid, not split. There is a steel or iron casing that comes ~6 inches out of the ground. The cap is marked Simmons.
  • The well was dead-headded for ~5 minutes, how likely is it that I've damaged it?
  • I used a map-gas blowtorch to heat the pipe and now it is flowing and pumping again. I'm planning to put a electrical "pipe freeze tape" and insulation on it. This doesn't seem like a good long term solution... any ideas?
  • Due to changes in regulations (and lack of grandfathering), getting work done on the well will require modifications to the septic system. I really don't want to pull the pump myself....

e: pics

horse_ebookmarklet fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 10, 2018

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is there a way to stop ball valves from leaking up the stem beyond tightening the packing nut? Like if the packing nut is already tight for example?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

DreadLlama posted:

Is there a way to stop ball valves from leaking up the stem beyond tightening the packing nut? Like if the packing nut is already tight for example?

Replace the packing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think you'll find the well cap clearly says "SNOWWIS," that's your problem. You've got to cover it in snow.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Plumbing thread, help! There's a river in my shower drain.

For the last few days I've been trying to fix a particularly tenacious blockage in my shower drain. A few days ago I thought I'd fixed it but the problem came back. The first 'fix' had a huge amount of leaves come spewing up out of the drain which was weird but I figured they must've accumulated in there over time somehow; blown in through the window and down the shower drain once a month or something.

Today I managed to get another big unclog and what came up was very confusing. I'm looking at leaves, silt, and what are clearly small stones like you'd find in the bottom of a river. Most of them are about fingernail-sized and there's a lot of them. Far more than I could've logically carried into the shower with me, unless I'm just covered in stones all the time and have somehow missed it. It honestly looks like some sort of river has been running through there.

Is this a normal shower drain thing, or do I have a more serious problem?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Let me see if I follow:

You're getting rocks in your (presumably indoor) shower drain line? And you're pulling lithic objects out of the drain? And leaves?

This is inside a house? With a roof & walls & appropriate weather coverings?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
That is correct. We're near the city green belt and leaves blow in through open windows fairly frequently but the stones are a total goddam mystery to me. The stones all came up through the drain after a couple of minutes going at it with a plunger. I suspect there's more of them down there -- it's draining now, but still slowly.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 13, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Tree roots broke the sewer line, sounds like.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
Sounds like it’s time to get a scope camera in there.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Or you've got an rear end in a top hat crow dropping rocks down the vent pipe

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

angryrobots posted:

Or you've got an rear end in a top hat crow dropping rocks down the vent pipe
Oh nooo.

We're near a large bird park, and the birds fly free at night. There's one particular sort of parrot that likes to hang around our house that is exactly the sorta rear end in a top hat bird to do that. There's a breeding pair of them that hang around on the roof, near the vent pipe.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I mean I really hope it's the parrot thing because I'm dirt poor and 100% cannot afford to get a sewer line repaired. I did wonder why our roof specifically was so special to those drat birds.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Bore scopes aren't very expensive anymore--you can get a 30' borescope for less then $40. (https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=borescope+waterproof) The only problem is the cable for most the bore scopes, especially the long ones, is flimsy and unless you get very lucky would be very hard to stuff down your drain. Leaving you to figure out how to get the scope to the clog. If you have a wire snake you can duct tape the scope to the snake. And you might just be lucky enough that you won't need to go very far down the drain. Seeing as how you are pulling out debris with the plunger--I think that would indicate the clog isn't too far down the drain.

If it is birds messing with your vent pipe--a stainless steel O clamp with some aluminum screening should be enough to keep the birds out.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Most companies will charge to put a camera down becuase the heads are some what fragiile. Most companies will try the snake first.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
How big is your vent coming out of the roof? My main vent stack is slightly bigger than 4 inches on the inside and had several inches of mud blocking the vent. I couldn't clear it with a manual 3/8" snake, I ended up dragging my wheeled machine onto my roof along with a garden hose.

At least I hope it was mud.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The Gardenator posted:

How big is your vent coming out of the roof? My main vent stack is slightly bigger than 4 inches on the inside and had several inches of mud blocking the vent. I couldn't clear it with a manual 3/8" snake, I ended up dragging my wheeled machine onto my roof along with a garden hose.

At least I hope it was mud.

What machine do you use for mainlines? My work just bought me a Spartan 300. I am in love with spartan. Before that I was using a k-60 ridigid sectional. I hated it for the most part. It was light weight though.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Two full baths upstairs - one has great water pressure, the other only so-so. Enough to shower, but probably half the pressure of the other shower just on the other side of the wall. Is this a common and fixable problem?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
After taking the old dishwasher out, it looks like my copper hot water supply line has been bent and the compression fitting leaked. I chopped off the old compression fitting and put on another one on a straight section of pipe, but it still leaks. Even wrapping it thoroughly in plumber's tape doesn't stop the leaking - any idea how to fix this? Is there another, better valve to use?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm getting sick of crawling under the house every time to turn the valve to verify a failure.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

After taking the old dishwasher out, it looks like my copper hot water supply line has been bent and the compression fitting leaked. I chopped off the old compression fitting and put on another one on a straight section of pipe, but it still leaks. Even wrapping it thoroughly in plumber's tape doesn't stop the leaking - any idea how to fix this? Is there another, better valve to use?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm getting sick of crawling under the house every time to turn the valve to verify a failure.

You don't need to use teflon tape with compression fittings. With those, the ferrule deforms as you tighten the nut down, making the water tight seal.

Which fitting leaked and where?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Turd Herder posted:

What machine do you use for mainlines? My work just bought me a Spartan 300. I am in love with spartan. Before that I was using a k-60 ridigid sectional. I hated it for the most part. It was light weight though.

Mine is a k-400 ridgid from Home Depot, not nearly as fancy as that k-60 or Spartan 300 you use. Although, I only use it for my home, because I figured it would be about the same to buy this machine as to pay a plumber to clear it. It has been definitely worth it as I am sure a plumber would have charged way over $400 to snake 2 toilets and the main vent stack on a roof. No snow where I live, so the roof is nearly flat where the vent stack is.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
My buddy and have pulled the toilets in his house way too many times over the last nine years. Part of this is because we apparently can’t seat a wax ring to save our lives. The floor is level, the flange is straight and in good shape. We prop the toilet on 2x4s to line the t-bolts up before we drop it but we’re still going through 3-4 rings each time before the SOB stops leaking (or just leaks beneath the laminate :argh:)
We’re going for take #3 tonight. I’m going to clean the poo poo out of the toilet, warm and dry it with a heat gun and do the propping thing. Is there anything else (moar asscrack?) that I could do to push the odds I our favor?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What makes you think the wax ring is the problem?

Is the toilet cracked? I've seen hairline cracks cause leaks before.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

kid sinister posted:

What makes you think the wax ring is the problem?

Is the toilet cracked? I've seen hairline cracks cause leaks before.

It seemed like the easiest thing for us to have hosed up, but now that you mentioned it it has continued to leak when not flushed... and the toilet/wax/flange should be ‘dry’ then, right? Hmm.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Also gently caress wax rings forever, long live rubber coated neoprene rings that don't deform if you accidentally tilt the toilet a tiny bit when installing by yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

The Gardenator posted:

Mine is a k-400 ridgid from Home Depot, not nearly as fancy as that k-60 or Spartan 300 you use. Although, I only use it for my home, because I figured it would be about the same to buy this machine as to pay a plumber to clear it. It has been definitely worth it as I am sure a plumber would have charged way over $400 to snake 2 toilets and the main vent stack on a roof. No snow where I live, so the roof is nearly flat where the vent stack is.

The 400 is still a decent machine for lighter use. I use a 400 at my last job a lot. Pulled a lot of wipes out of drains with it. Right now I have a k-380 (older version of the 400 i beleive) that ive used on light root clogs and its worked great.