Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Glazius posted:

I mean, by minimum connection of rear end in a top hat principle, we could say that the hospital is taking in all these intractable patients so they have a bunch of people who can suddenly take a turn for the worse if a certain matching organ is needed for transplant.

I didn't know this hospital was owned by the Chinese goverment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Instead of figuring out the issue with our deceased patient, we decided to spend the last part mostly trying to resolve the mystery relating to that young woman that was hiding in the records room.

With a little help from a sick girl named Haruka, who, incidentally, aspires to be a singer, it turned out that the mystery person was none other than Ueshima Saya, a popular TV and music idol. She is suffering from some sort of a kindey disease and is not exactly in the best of moods. Her bad mood was at least partially explained when we met Misuzu, Saya's manager, who doesn't seem to be particularly nice.

Based on our interviews so far, it seems that Dr. Mochizuki is also not the nicest person around, and is not generally liked by the staff. Most notably, nurse Sawa, who seems to like Dr. Akechi (who we finally met briefy) a lot more!

Finally, we had a brief chat with said nurse Sawa, but nothing much new was revealed, other than whe seems to have slipped up a bit and almost started to talk about something that happened in a kidney transplant surgery from a few days ago.

Well, even though he does not seem to be directly involved in the death of our intractable patient, I guess we should have a chat with Dr. Akechi anyway, so let's head over to his office...

Excuse me, I am Murakami from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
Likewise, I am Mizushima from the Ministry's Medical Safety department.

Excuse me, Dr. Akechi, but we would like to talk to you for a bit...

That's ok, we also want to hear the story from people who weren't directly involved.
Exactly.
Is that ok?
I can't tell you a whole lot, but if that's not a problem...
Thank you! Then, please tell us.

Talk: "About the case".

What kind of details could you tell us about the current case?

Well, ok then.

Talk: "About accepting the intractable patients".

What do you think about accepting the intractable patients?

If a patient is seeking treatment until the very end, then it's a doctor's duty to go with it.
Surely, it's a tough battle for the patient and the doctor...
However, it doesn't mean that we want to deny the paliative care... it's just that the patients wishes should come first.
So, in this you support the side of Dr. Mochizuki, the chief of surgery?

Well, I meant which side do you fall on in this hospital's politics?

Doctor, you are quite stubborn, aren't you?

Own... beliefs, huh?

Ok, now I want everybody to get read for a few minutes of 100% pure undiluted Murakami.

Are you ready? Ok.

Talk: "About kidney transplants".

How is the kidney transplant done?
It's literally a process for transplanting a donated kidney into a patient with end-stage renal failure and thus restoring the renal function.
For kidney transplant, a donated kidney is usually received from a living relative of the patient, or similar.
But there is also a second option, to receive a kidney from a recently deceased person.
So, it's also possible to receive a kidney from a deceased person.

Yes. He just said it.

But, either way, a match between a donor and a recipient is necessary.
Donor... and recipient? What is that?

Ok, I know this sounds horifically stupid, but actually, it's a bit more understandable in the Japanese original. The game is actually using English words "donor" and "recipient" here, so it's possible that a Japanese person playing this game wouldn't know them, if they aren't proficient in English. However, this is kind of a situation where the things are leaking into the characterisation of the main character that shouldn't--in the job that he is doing, HE should be familiar with these words, even if the player isn't. Somehow, this never seemed to be an issue with Tendo games. They simply left it up to the player to find out more if they cared to. Anyway, rant over.

The donor is the side that provides the kidney, and the recipient is the side that receives the kidney.
The probability for success is good when the donor's and the recipient's HLA matches.

Well, here we are in luck, because from the first Tendo game we already know all that we need to know about HLA!

...HLA?
It's like the type of the white blood cells. For the kidney transplant, it is necessary for HLA to match as much as possible.
Ah, so when you hear that somebody is waiting for a donor, it means that they are waiting for somebody with a matching HLA.
Right. And even if the HLA doesn't completely match, it's possible to manage this to an extent after the transplant surgery.
(Transplant surgery... Sawa-san mentioned something about the transplant surgery from a few days ago...)

Ok, we got through it! Let's now get back to interesting stuff.

Talk: "About the transplant surgery from a few days ago".

We heard that there was a transplant surgery the other day...

But you probably mean the most recent surgery I've performed, right?
I guess so, we heard from nurse Sawa that she was told by the chief of surgery not to talk about it.
Do you know what could be the reason for that?

In transplant surgery we are particulary concerned about protecting the personal information of all the parties involved. So that's probably what the chief of surgery was worrying about.

This is generally true, as in cases where a donor is not a relative, typically, the identity of the donor and other similar information is not shared with the recipient, other than most basic facts.

So what kind of transplant surgery was this?

Therefore it was quite a sudden surgery. But it is always like that when the kidney comes from a deceased donor.
Ah, why is that?

Of course, the sooner you can do it, the better chances of success.

Did the operation succeed?

However, we can't really talk here in terms of absolute success.
More accurate would be to look into what percentage of transplanted kidneys are still working mormally after say, 1 year, or 5 years or 10 years.
There are nights when I can't sleep because I wonder if all the kidneys I have transplanted are still working normally...
That's pretty amazing... but when you think about it, it's quite serious.

Well, this is certainly an interesting guy. Although we didn't learn much from him other than a few tidbits regarding that transplant surgery from "a few days ago". I think a picture is starting to form here... and it's making me wonder about the relative timing of the intractable patient's death and the kidney transplant surgery... could it be that the deceased's kidneys were used for the transplant here? I mean this is not necessarily an issue, depending on other circumstances, but...

In any case, that concludes our first round of interviews, so let's step outside for a bit and gather our thoughts.

Yes, that was everyone involved... we even spoke to the hospital's hero. Dr. Akechi is very cool.

Either way, he doesn't seem to be related to our case, I guess.
So, how shall we proceed from here?

All right.
What was the intractable patient who died suffering from?
It was a 30 year old male, suffering from aplastic anaemia. This was the first intractable patient that was transferred to Kagawa General under the new acceptance policy.
Yes, and two days later, he died of multiple organ dysfunction, despite an effort to save his life. So, our task this time is to try and establish a more specific cause of death than MODS.
The thing that keeps nagging on my mind is the condition of the patient when he was transferred to this hospital...
Based on what we've heard from multiple people, it seems that at the time of the transfer, his condition was stable... but then it suddenly took a turn for the worse.
Yes, that sudden change is... Even Sawa-san had said that the patient didn't seem to be in a condition where she expected something like that would happen.
Would it be a good idea to try and investigate the reason for this sudden change in the patient's condition?

Yes, I think it's definitely something that is possible.
At any rate, the people who were last in contact with the patient as they applied the life-saving measures probably hold the key... Nurse Sawa-san, Dr. Kitagawa, the surgeon and the anaesthesist, Dr. Kiba, and then...
...the chief of surgery. He is the originator of the policy to start accepting the intractable patients.
However, everybody else's stories are in agreement that he didn't have a chance to do any life-saving measures.
So it was those three, Kitagawa, Kiba and Sawa who could have caused the patient to die at that time.
I see a couple of points about each of those three people...

They also seem to distrust the chief of surgery...
I also think that there is more information that we could try to get out of those three...
What do you want to do?
All right! Let's just apply the active phase to those people.

Perhaps we should keep investigating until we find out more information instead?
But active phase might also help us discover new information, so I think it's worth doing.
...Well, all right.
I think any kind of action is fine, as long as it brings us more new information.
I guess you're right.
All right then, we have three people to speak to!

Even though he's technically not one of the "three people", we can still go to Mochizuki's office...

Hm. The chief of surgery is not here...
Where could he be...?
I don't know, let's keep going.

...but he's not here anyway. All right, let's try to talk to Kitagawa (the surgeon) first. He should be in the surgical staff room.

Dr. Kitagawa is not here...
We have to find him if we are going to do active phase...
Let's come back later.

We'll find him later. For now, let's go to our real first victim, Dr. Kiba.

Dr. Kiba, can we talk to you a little bit?
Ah, yes. What is it about?
We want to talk a little bit more about the time when the life-saving measures were being carried out.

We were told that the patient's condition got worse during the treatment. Do you remember something like this happening?

Did the patient's condition get worse during the treatment?

Do you not remember what happened during the treatment!?

(Why is he so flustered...)

Is this guy under the influence of controlled substances right now? Seems like the right time to...

It's not so good if you lose your memory of what happened during the treatment...

Dr. Kiba, are you sure you're telling the truth here?
(If we push on him the sense of duty, he may get more flustered...)

Here is our first choice. Actually this is one of those active phases where each choice is either a loop or a success, so it's not possible to fail. So let me take this opportunity to mention how this game makes a big deal out of active phase and then proceeds to turn it into a joke by either not using it at all (chapter 3), or by making it almost impossible to fail (chapter 2). So far only in chapter 1 it seems to me that it was used properly (but again that one is based on a book so they had the source material to draw upon). Incidentally, same goes for A.I., which is supposed to be this big thing but then proceeds either to not give any results (chapter 2), or to give a result which could have been obtained in any number of ways (chapter 3). I don't know what was their goal here really. It almost feels (and I think it's a correct feeling) that they were forced to do a movie/book tie-in but then just weren't really sure what to do for the other three cases... so they made chapter 2 which was a repeat of chapter 1 and chapter 3 which is more like an Ace Attorney case than anything belonging in this game. Ok, another rant over. Obviously we'll pick option 2 first, because... well, what else?

Your memory was erased by someone!

No matter how you look at it, it's a bit strange that you don't remember anything at all.

You saw Dr. Kitagawa or Sawa-san make a medical error! That's why your memories have been tampered with!
My memories tampered with? How would you even achieve that!?
If we perform the AI, we can find out what kind of surgery was done on your brain!!
Dr. Kiba, let's do AI! You can regain the lost memories that way!!

I would like to know what kind of surgery was performed on Murakami's brain, however.

AI is performed on corpses. Don't you mean to say, CT?

Don't encourage him, please.

Yes... that. So, let's do CT!!
Uh, but it's not really possible to pinpoint the parts of the brain that holds a specific memory.
Besides, if there was a brain surgery, you should be able to see other evidence, like a person's hair that may have been partially removed, etc. But there is not such evidence, is there?
Huh?
Is this some kind of silly joke?
Sorry, I'll try to be more careful from now on.
Well, I'm quite busy, so let's try not to waste too much time.

The other things that bugs me about the active phase is that most of the "wrong" options are silly like this and there is no real thinking needed to even see which is the right option (again, except for the first case). Anyway, we have looped around. Let's now try the third option.

You are a secred undercover investigator from the ministry of health, who came here before we did!

You will not fool me anymore! You secretly infiltrated this hospital to investigate and you've already found some big secrets, haven't you?
Huh?
About the recent death of the intractable patients, someone is trying to frame you for that. Therefore, you feel in danger and are saying that you can't remember anything, because some of your opponents still don't know your true identity!
An undercover investigator... definitely nothing like that!!

N-no, no one has said that...
Murakami-san! If you don't mind, please stop with silly speculations!
I... I will talk properly from now on...

Unfortunately, as much fun this would have been, it's actually not true and the only way forward is to choose the correct option, the first.

Perhaps...
Hm?
...the patient died because you made a medical mistake?

You have no memory of what happened during the treatment! That is to say, you don't even remember if you made a big mistake! It is normal for humans to try to block out a bad memory!
Eeh?
But your conscience will not forgive you! Therefore, please tell me everything to ease your burden!
U-um...
Please tell me!

Huh?
Well, I certainly don't remember what happened... but would the other two people also have forgotten?

This is also another thing that annoys me about active phase... it seems to always revolve around this kind of thing--why didn't anybody else present notice anything--but that line of questioning rarely seems to amount to much in the end.

Dr. Kiba, I understand that also... It's because...
(I need to push forward the reason why the other two didn't notice anything...)

Another choice, another set of three random accusations for which we have no real basis in anything we've hear so far (although to be fair, that is part of the point of the active phase). Either way, all three choice lead directy to success, so let's just pick the middle one.

...Because you and Sawa-san are hiding it together!

Yo were pulled into the room by Sawa-san, right?

Then it was Sawa-san who noticed your mistake, but before Dr. Kitagawa could see it, she removed you from the scene. They continued desperately with the treatment, but the patient died.
Dr. Kiba, I am your ally, please don't be afraid to talk!

Huh? But did you not say that you were participating in the life-saving measures?

So he does remember?

Yet, despite only doing that, you felt sick?
But just wiping the sweat couldn't have caused a mistake...

And this is actually the end of the active phase... it's a bit random.

Wait a second, just want to ask you a couple more things...

Wait, what? but he told to us a completely opposite thing!

The chief of surgery?
Ah, I really can't talk right now! Sorry...

He leaves.

He was totally flustered... I was not able to draw out the information from him...

Yes, it looks like there is something they don't want us to hear.

As interesting as this sounds to pursue, we should gather more information for now. So, our next stop is nurse Sawa. She is still hanging about on the roof.

Sawa-san, can we talk a little bit more?
Sure, what do you want to know?
We have something that I would like to ask about the life-saving measures...
You told us earlier that you dislike the chief of surgery...
Yes, that's what I said.
So here is my question... If you had a chance to "overthrow" the chief of surgery, would you do it?
Huh, what do you mean?
Since he is a disliked person, if you had a chance, would you do it?

(She's off balance, that's good!)

Push the button!

You tried to frame the chief of surgery so he loses his position, didn't you?

(We must attack now with all our strength!)

This active phase follows the same pattern, so in the first choice we either loop or go forward. Let's start with the last option.

You fabricated the story about the death of the patient! In reality, the patient is actually alive!
Huh? What are you trying to suggest?
The acceptance of intractable patients is the idea of chief of surgery, Dr. Mochizuki. In order to stop it dead in its tracks, you reported a falsehood to hospital director Kagawa.
Why would I do something like that?
Sawa-san, your lie is already exposed! It's useless to resist!

Of course!!

Oh, that's right...
You guys are just making this up now... Stop joking around!!
S-sorry, let me try this again...
Then, hurry up!

And we loop back, so let's select option 2 (which is a bit stupid, but...)

You wanted to save the patient as soon as possible!

This doesn't even make sense really.

Huh?
Even Dr. Kitagawa said so--you were helping him precisely and efficiently. That was your unsubtle strategy!!
I don't understand what you're talking about.

Me either, nurse Sawa, me either.

If you don't help the patient before the chief of surgery arrives, then it would end up as his achievement when the patient is saved.

Ok, now I get it. But that was some drat convoluted logic and I still don't see why wanting to help the patient as efficiently as possible would be a bad thing!?

But even so, the patient died... however it wasn't your fault. You did the best you could. Please don't blame yourself.

Wait, we've taken a turn again...

Eh?

So such an outcome wouldn't have undermined the chief of surgery's position.
Oh, I see...
Is that everything? Because I have lots of work left to do...
Please wait for a second.

Ok that was actually pretty dumb. So let's finally choose the first option, that is to say, let's randomly accuse her of a murder. Because that's what we do.

You killed the patient to cause the chief of surgery's downfall, didn't you!
Huh!?
The acceptance of the intractable patients is the chief of surgery's idea. If it fails, he will fail too.
Eh! How do you mean?
This is what you were thinking while working on the patient... if the patient goes down, so does the chief of surgery.

I know that, but...
(I have to demonstrate how she could have killed the patient!)

Again like before all three options lead to immediate success. So let's just pick the middle one.

In fact, you were the one who first discovered the patient!
What are you talking about!

A response as appropriate as ever to these dialogues.

You said that Dr. Kitagawa was the one who first noticed something wrong with the patient... but in fact it was you, wasn't it?
If you had called someone immediately, the patiend would have been saved.
You have passed by the patient who was suffering with a completely uncaring face.

Eh?

Any of my colleagues can verify this.
Uh, i-is that so...

And again, abruptly, we're done with the active phase.

What do you mean? After all that you've said...
Actually I agree with her.
What! Mizushima-san!

And while I don't like the chief of surgery's personality, he also does plenty of good things for this hospital.

What happened after the intractable patient had died?

Actually, these people are pretty bad at keeping their secrets...

Please tell us, we are conducting an investigation here.

Sorry, I have to leave now, my work is waiting on me.

She leaves.

Well, we didn't learn a whole lot of new information here.

Yes, "after the intractable patient died..."
I guess we should try to find out what happened there...

We still have Dr. Kitagawa to speak with, but you know, let's take a break for all this hard work and go have a chat with Haruka!

Oh, he's actually here!

Dr. Kitagawa!

Why the dour face, Dr. Kitagawa?

We were looking for you to talk to... but here you are!

Isn't it a bit late in the day to be doing the rounds?

In another game, I would say this is an interesting information as it matches with what seems to have happened with "the intractable". But here it could just be a useless red herring.

Is it such a serious disease?
...Yes.
(And she is still so full of energy!)
Doctor, can we talk for a little bit?
Sure, no problem. But let me go back to the staff room, so let's meet there.
All right, thanks.

W-well...
Awesome! I'm so happy!
I also came... but feel free to keep ignoring me.

Talk: "About Haruka".

So, Haruka-chan, how have you been?

(She really does not look like she's seriously ill...)

Speaking of which...

Talk: "About Ueshima Saya".

Haruka-chan, where did you hear this about Saya-san?

Eh? It's Haruka-chan's birthday? Congrats!

Well, I guess.

Well, to tell the truth, yes.

She told us to come and visit her in her room!
Don't get her all overexcited, she's just a kid!

Well, you could say that we're quite close...
Good grief. Is there an end to this!

Eh?

We get a CD!

Eh?

Uh, I think nobody told here that you shouldn't say stuff like that when you're in a hospital...

Uh, well...
You better do it now... brother.
Please!!
A-all right. I will get her to sign Haruka's birthday present.

Yeah, a promise.

Now we can head off to the surgical staff room and have our conversation with Kitagawa.

Dr. Kitagawa, can we talk?
Yes, what about?
I would like to hear a bit more about the life-saving activities... have you perhaps remembered something new?

Since I was told beforehand that I would be interviewed I already prepared a summary for myself so I don't forget to tell you anything.
I see...
(whispering) Wait!
(whispering) What are you doing! You're not going to be able to start active phase like that!
(whispering) You mean because he's not upset?
(whispering) We have to use some kind of bluff to make him upset...
(whispering) So pushy...
(whispering) Well, you're not going to get anything out of him this way, are you?
(whispering) I guess...
Um, is there something wrong?
Ah, no sorry for making you wait.
Dr. Kitagawa. I think you are hiding something from us!

(Now he's upset! Good idea, Mizushima!)

Dr. Kitagawa, what are you hiding from us about the patient who died recently?

At the time of the life-saving measures...
(Dr. Kitagawa was the first who came to treat the patient... now we need to take a step and corner him!)

Let's start from the top this time.

You made Dr. Kiba treat the patient, didn't you!?
Huh? what are you talking about?
It's true that you first noticed a problem with the patient, but you didn't have the confidence to perform the life-saving procedure. And so, Dr. Kiba appeared conveniently there...
You didn't even help him to perform the treatment!
Um... what are you talking about?
(whispering) Wait!
(whispering) What? We're almost there!
(whispering) Didn't everybody praise his skill in how he treated the patient? Or are you going to say that all the rest of the staff was lying?
(whispering) That's true, but...
(whispering) Would it not be better to attack from a more realistic accusation?
(whispering) I guess you're right.
Dr. Kitagawa, sorry to keep you waiting...

Next up: option number two!

Perhaps, you are protecting Dr. Mochizuki, the chief of surgery?
Me, the chief of surgery? Why?
Actually, when the life saving measures were being applied, the chief arrived earlier.
But he is so self-important, so he could not cure the patient because he was too impatient.
And when it was too late, he finally asked you for help! So the responsibility lies with the chief of surgery. You've done nothing wrong!
Um... can I say something?
Didn't you already hear from everybody else that the chief came in last? Besides, as I've already told you, by the time he arrived it was already too late.
Ah, that's right... I must have forgotten... Let me try again.

And finally the correct option three.

It was a case of medical malpractice, wasn't it? I think we can definitely say that the cause of death of this patient was medical malpractice.

Well, you were the doctor leading the treatment. Is that not suspicious enough?

Can you really be sure in that? During a life-saving activity, the situation changes rapidly, doesn't it? So I think that you caused a medical error!

However, Dr. Kitagawa, I don't think you hid this error only to protect yourself!
???

That is...
(We must point out the reason!)

The second choice. All options lead to success, and actually, they are all more or less the same in the end, despite sounding different. So let's pick the first.

Dr. Kitagawa, you've said that you oppose the acceptance of intractable patients by the surgery department.

You said you would prefer for them to not suffer more than is necessary, right?

That's right. You thought that if this patient dies, the policy about accepting such patients would be changed. Then you would not have to see any more of them suffer in front of your eyes.
So you caused the malpractice to stop these patients from being accepted.

But, as long as I work for this organisation, I will follow its policies.
Certainly I'm no longer young enough to be able to freely just rebel against things like that.
To say nothing of thinking that I would kill a person simply to push through my own beliefs. I think no normal person would do something like that. Or am I wrong?
Well, you're right.

Well, I guess we're finished here? I would like to resume my work.
Yes. Thank you very much.

Well. That's all to be heard here. So, let's step out for a bit and review the situation.

With this, we are done with active phase with these three people. Do you think we were successful?

Well, I guess we did make some progress...
Shall we go over it quickly?
Yeah!

That he did something after the intractable patient had died...

Yes, me too, very much so.

He told Dr. Kiba not to talk to us too much.

Based on everything, it seems that he's trying to hide something.

Yes, let's do it! Let's go and find out what he's hiding.

Well, as always, that's for next time. This seems to have been one of those episodes in which there is much running around, but maybe not so much useful information gained. But, don't worry, next episode will have quite a lot going on in it!

Next time on Team Batista:
Our investigation goes to hell in a handbasket!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Kitagawa is Haruka's father, or uncle, or is planning her imminent death.

Someone allowed the patient to die so that their organs could be transplanted. The kidneys may be a red herring, there's two of those. I bet it's the heart, or something else that can only be transplanted after death.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ACTIVE PHASE
-gets absolutely nothing out of it

Repeat three times

What was the point of this?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Someone should photoshop Akechi from Persona 5 over Dr Akechi's face. Just for kicks.

Also calling it now, kid dies in tragic operation room accident, guilt causes someone to spill the beans.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We're probably going to get so kicked out of this hospital if we screw up this next active phase.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I'm sure the manager will be happy to let Mishizuma and Murakami see Saya when she hears about how it's for a hospitalized little girl, and won't brush them off at all!

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Blaze Dragon posted:

ACTIVE PHASE
-gets absolutely nothing out of it

Repeat three times

What was the point of this?

To be honest, I was really of half a mind to only leave in all the other conversations and to simply just summarise the active phase bits, since they, as you say, quite literally have no point and bring in absolutely no new information. Sometimes I feel that this game's authors are to an extent even misunderstanding their own game mechanics--the active phase is a thing that does actually come from the book, but I think that they at least partially missed the point of it; and you can see this if you check out the active phase sections in the first case, which play out quite a bit better, because they are based on the content from the said book!

But, luckily, the next part of the game should be much more evenful.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Despite the game's flaws, I'm impressed by the relative degree of medical accuracy in this case (well, in some aspects of it). A lot of fiction that depicts transplants just treats them as if you get a brand new organ with no problems aside from maybe having to take some medication. But in reality, even with immunosuppressive therapy, a transplant is usually rejected within about 5-10 years, depending on the organ. It's unusual for a story to address that directly. The part of the organ transplant process where you're waiting for a donor makes for better drama than the part where you've already got the new organ and you're getting constant tests to monitor its function and check for signs of impending failure, I guess.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think this is supposed to show the weakness of Active Phase where people can basically escape our interrogation by giving us the runaround.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, we managed to finish a bunch of active phase interviews. Not a whole lot was learned other than there seem to be some things that the chief of surgery, Dr. Mochizuki is apparently attempting to hide from us (in a hilariously unsubtle way). Having that in mind, we've decided to go and have a chat with the hospital director.

Based on everything, it seems that he's trying to hide something.

Yes, let's do it! Let's go and find out what he's hiding.

But actually, he is in the director's office, so that's where we'll go! Coming into his office, we find a conversation already in progress...

There is nothing to be found in that patient death, therefore it's completely pointless. It's just a waste of time.

Guess we've been found out.

S-sorry, but we were looking for you, chief of surgery... could we talk a little?
We already talked just a short while ago.

Chief of surgery, are you trying to hide something?

Well, we might as well go direct. It's a valid strategy.

We know you didn't tell us everything previously.

(All right! Now we can get going!)

I guess it's our cue to...

It seems that to a large extent, you've been attempting to obstruct our investigation, huh?

Is it because there is something you don't want us to find out?

Keeping up with the pretense until the last. Then, let me ask you a question.
(We have to show him proof that he is hiding something!)

The pattern is still the same, that all wrong options simply loop around, so we'll start with the bottom.

So, why do you accept the intractable patients?

I don't believe that explanation! You started to accept these patients in order to be able to hide something!
Dealing with the intractable patients takes a lot of time and effort... so I doubt you don't have some reason for doing it.

It's in the hearts of medical professionals to want to treat every patient.
Besides, accepting the intractable patients will have a positive effect on the reputation of this hospital.

I see. Thank you for explaining this...
Are we done?
Please wait just a moment, I have something else to ask.

Next up: the second option.

Then, why were you arguing with the hospital director?
Arguing? Don't draw such stupid conclusions. It was just a discussion.
It doesn't seem like that to me... it looks like you were trying to conceal something from the director.
Director! It's good that I came! Now, please tell us!

Come! Together we'll expose Dr. Mochizuki's wrongdoings!
No, it was just a particular new thing that I learned just now...
Eh? Then, what did you talk about with Dr. Mochizuki?

And it's not something that will help this hospital to maitain the proper diagnosis and treatment of patients.

Director, is that true?
Yes, it's exactly as Dr. Mochizuki has said.
I see. Well, let me try this again.

Finally, the correct option is, of course, option 1.

Dr. Mochizuki, why have you been forbidding the staff to talk to us?

Sawa-san and Dr. Kiba. They both mentioned that either you have forbidden them to talk to us or told them to not tell us much.

Dr. Mochizuki, do you mind telling us what you did at that time...
At what time? What are you talking about?
(He is obviously hiding something. Now we need to go in with the full guns!)

In, finally, a bit of departure, the last (stupid) option in this one leads to failure. Option 2, however, leads to a loop, so let's check that out.

...During the time of life-saving measures! You participated in the treatment, didn't you?
That's why the patient died! You must have done something!

So you didn't do your job! Then, it's your fault that the patient...
Should I have continued with a useless treatment? As I've already told you, by the time I got there, there was nothing left that could be done.
All right, it's time to finish this conversation.
Please wait! I have made a mistake!

And finally the correct option in this second and last choice is the first.

It was after the intractable patient had died! After the patient had died, you did something, according to Sawa-san. Please tell us!
There is no reason to hide it, is there? It would be good if you told us.

As abruptly as ever, the active phase is, with this, finished.

There is a way to show the evidence!

Well then, let's do it.
We'll use... A.I.! With A.I., we can show the proof!

I see you already know it well. So, let's perform the A.I. on the deceased patient.

Director, when we talked before... did you obtain the approval for A.I. from the family of the deceased?

Then we can do A.I.
Hold on a second here!
Director, is it all right to do A.I.?

So, let's move over to the CT scan room!

I'm sorry, director, do you mind to operate the CT scan?

Probably Mochizuki pressured him... I think so.
Even so, I'm sorry that the director has to...
I used to work with CT... long ago.
I see.
Then, let's investigate! And the truth shall be revealed!

So, we're back one last time doing the scanning. Obviously with all that's been going on, we should proabably start by looking at the patient's kidneys...

Right about here.

But...

This is...
No way. What's going on here...? The kidneys...
The kidneys are missing!
What the hell...

Chief of surgery! What is the meaning of this?

What did you do to the deceased patient? Chief of surgery!

Huh?

I'm a bit curious here. When exactly did the patient sign this? Certainly not as he was dying because he was basically unconscious then. So did somebody get him to sign this earlier, or what exactly happened?

Generally, what exactly are they doing here? Harvesting organs for VIP patients to use? Or sometehing else?

Speaking of which, as you might know, in may parts of the world, organ donations are an area that's strictly regulated by laws, specifically to keep the whole process fair and to prevent the kind of situation where a rich person could "buy" an organ from a living donor. Even donations from family members are usually regulated, e.g. in a sense that if you need for example a kidney you couldn't marry somebody who would then immediately donate an organ for you (as your now-spouse). This kind of scenario would certainly also be considered illegal. However, such laws don't exist everyhwere, which then gives rise to a so-called "transplant tourism". E.g. in Iran, there are no such laws, which leads exactly to the situations where poor people sell their organs to the rich. Until recently (2008), it was also the case in Philippines, where even the government itself promoted travel packages for transplantations.

Anyway, let's continue.

Perhaps, the transplant surgery done recently by Dr. Akechi...
That's right. Thanks to him, it all went well and the recipient is doing well postoperatively.

So, if that's the case, why were you attempting to hide it?

Was there really consent for this transplantation? Then we can check this directly with the recipient!

Besides, your investigation is about the cause of death of the intractable patient.
The recipient just received the kidney from the deceased, it has nothing to do with what you're investigating.
That's true, but... even if there is no relation, we should still check it properly...

It seems that there is no way we can get him to tell us this...

Sometimes I wonder... as investigators, shouldn't they have some kind of "clearance" level for these kinds of situations? I mean, even to an outsider this would look like a transplant where the question about what kind of consent was given and who gave it would be more than appropriate questions to ask, based on the evidence uncovered so far.

(No, somehow or other I must find a way to see this through properly...)

Well, you know, we do still have that document that allows us to see other people's information... so we'll show that again.

Chief of surgery, please tell us the recipient information!
I'm afraid I can't do that.
Please have a look at this...

But, before anything can happen...

...Shiratori pops up again!

Director!

Ah, sorry, I didn't greet everyone properly.
I am Shiratori Keisuke from the Medical Malpractice Related Death Neutral Third Party Investigation Department Office.
So your boss has appeared...

Eh? But why? I though I could use it from now on...
(whispering) Truly, this is actually a fake that I mocked up at some point.
NO WAY!
(whispering) But still, director... if we could use it just this one more time...
(whispering) It's pointless... we would be discovered by chief Uehara.
(whispering) Eh? Chief Uehara? What do you mean?
Please come out from behind there!

Chief Uehara!

I don't know all the details, but I was ordered from above to tell you to stop this.

But, chief! Now we have uncovered a suspicious point in this case, regarding the surgery department's handling of organs! And if we keep at this properly, something is sure to come out!

But, we only need a little bit more time!
If you want to try to investigate further, just know this: even if you are hired as the top graduate in your class, it's still going to be the last hired person who loses their job first.
W-what...
So, what'll it be? Hm?
Chief, are you threatening...?

Mi-Mizushima-san!

What shall we do? Continue investigation? Director!

(There is no reason to leave! I'm sure the director will think the same!)

But, of course, he doesn't!

Eh?

(C-crap.)

Director! You are not really thinking of giving up?
Director!

Either way, it seems like we have no choice in the matter here...

(The director stayed silent for a long time. He seemed to be pondering something... but he said nothing. Either way, I have never seen him be like this.)

Yeah, this didn't go in a good direction.

Nevertheless, the next morning we find ourselves back in our office...

(Director Shiratori... hasn't said anything today. I wonder what he is thinking about...)

Um... director?

Director!

About what happened yesterday...

Talk: "Why did you stop the investigation?".

Why, you ask?
Is it because of the pressure from the higher-ups?
Yeah, that's right.
Can they really stop it just like that?

The director doesn't seem to be like his usual self...
The usual me?
That's right. If you were your usual self, you would ignore those threats and push forward, wouldn't you?

Director! Let's do something! Let me continue the investigating he chief of surgery!

You look like one to me, in any case.
Since when are you such an enthusiastic character! I am not quite that weak!

Sound of beeping.

Ah, that sound! Perhaps...

Yes, this thing again.

Finally it leveled up!
Director, what is it?
My monster finally reached the last level! I always carry this with me in order to not miss the moment of their leveling up!
DIRECTOR!
Please stop joking around! I am serious about this!
I am serous too, about my monsters leveling up!
Director, it's really been enough of that now.
NEWBIE!
Y-yes!

Understood!

Eh? So, something unrelated to Kagawa hospital?

Director, please let me investigate the chief of surgery!

Oh, stop it already.

Again? You really don't get it! This is way bigger than you. First of all, it's too dangerous, and second, you don't want to impede my own efforts, right?
R-right.
Therefore, I have two other things that I want you to do. And you have to promise me to not do anything silly.
All right? This is an order from your director!
Yes, I understand. What is it you want me to do?

Eh? But we were already doing that yesterday?
Yes. Yesterday you were investigating in Kagawa Hospital. But now I want you to examine what was the situation with this patient in the other hospital, before he was transferred.
Then, should I go to the other hospital and find out?
Yes, something like that. But take this with you, it's the patient's chart from Kagawa General. I think it might prove useful for the investigation.

Patient chart get!

What hospital was this patient in, before they were transferred?

Team Batista... is that then perhaps the... Tōjō University Hospital?
That's right.
So I will finally see the Batista hospital in real life!

Dr. Taguchi!?
I hope you still remember him from the test?
Yes, you once told me I should go and visit him. Then, I will leave at once!

Please examine not only the medical condition of the patient but also any other information you might come across.

What will you be doing, director?
Oh, I will be looking into various things.
What kinds of things?

I see.

And when you're done with that, I'll have another thing for you to do.
I see. Then I will head out.
But...
What's wrong, newbie?
...Mizushima-san is not coming.

...I guess.
Then, I will head to Tōjō University Hospital!

And here we'll stop for now.

Well then, compared to the last part, this was positively action packed, wasn't it! The idea to investigate from the other side is not a bad one, and if it's indeed a case of organ trafficking, I wonder how deep does the rabbit hole go then? Specifically, there are characters in this case loitering about (such as Haruka or Saya's manager, or even Saya), whose purpose in this plot isn't yet completely clear.

Either way, next time, we'll catch up with some old (or, in Murakami's case, new) friends!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't know if I can handle things actually happening in this game! :psyduck:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh I like this, going back to the first hospital. That's cool!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I really like this! Until now, Shiratori's kinda been our safety net. He's been, like Murakami says, a hero- unbeatable, one step ahead every time. But here we're shown that he's not all powerful and that even he has to bend to authority, even if it's a potentially corrupt authority. It humanizes him more, showing him as more than just the snarky, full of himself guy we've seen until now. We also face real resistance in Chief Uehara along with Mochizuki, stonewalling both our investigation and even our boss, while forcing Mizushima off the case, showing real potential consequences for disobeying (being fired) which adds weight and stakes to this. This isn't, like the first three cases, a matter of "something bad's happened and we need to figure it out" it's a case of "something is still very actively, knowingly going on and it's clear that there are powers at work trying to keep this from coming to light." It feels like we the player and the characters are now working against an active opposition rather than a more passive event. Sure Case 3 had stuff currently going on but until the end the Shaman was just obstinate, she didn't seem to be actively working against us in regards to a specific crime. This is happening right in the middle of things and is a fresh, current issue and could have long-reaching implications if it's not stopped.

I'm really impressed by this update, is what I'm saying

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

Shoeless posted:

I really like this! Until now, Shiratori's kinda been our safety net. He's been, like Murakami says, a hero- unbeatable, one step ahead every time. But here we're shown that he's not all powerful and that even he has to bend to authority, even if it's a potentially corrupt authority. It humanizes him more, showing him as more than just the snarky, full of himself guy we've seen until now. We also face real resistance in Chief Uehara along with Mochizuki, stonewalling both our investigation and even our boss, while forcing Mizushima off the case, showing real potential consequences for disobeying (being fired) which adds weight and stakes to this. This isn't, like the first three cases, a matter of "something bad's happened and we need to figure it out" it's a case of "something is still very actively, knowingly going on and it's clear that there are powers at work trying to keep this from coming to light." It feels like we the player and the characters are now working against an active opposition rather than a more passive event. Sure Case 3 had stuff currently going on but until the end the Shaman was just obstinate, she didn't seem to be actively working against us in regards to a specific crime. This is happening right in the middle of things and is a fresh, current issue and could have long-reaching implications if it's not stopped.

I'm really impressed by this update, is what I'm saying

Yes, it seems like we're actually dealing with something bigger than a murderous doctor, or doctors hiding debilitating diseases, or someone attempting to cover up an environmental disaster. I wonder if Murakami will piss off the wrong doctor and end up in a seedy hotel in a tub full of ice missing some vital organs...

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Dariusknight posted:

Yes, it seems like we're actually dealing with something bigger than a murderous doctor, or doctors hiding debilitating diseases, or someone attempting to cover up an environmental disaster. I wonder if Murakami will piss off the wrong doctor and end up in a seedy hotel in a tub full of ice missing some vital organs...

"It's okay everyone, they only took my brain! I wasn't using it much anyway."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose that avoids having to introduce even more new personnel for the last case but still have it span multiple hospitals.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012
I wonder if Shiratori sent us in to investigate because he knew we’d screw up, bumble around, piss everyone off, and make lots of noise. Kind of like a distraction so people weren’t paying attention to the research he was doing to uncover an organ harvesting ring, or whatever is going on here? Then when we actually found the missing kidneys he got an extra bonus and was surprised at how well we did? If so I like it, kind of like the game is acknowledging the fact that Murakami is a total idiot!

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I must apologise for Murakami. He is an idiot. We have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time, things happened! First, we did an active phase with Dr. Mochizuki, who really seems to have some problem with us. This didn't result in any big new knowledge, but it did result in sort of "tricking" him to consent to an A.I. scan of the deceased intractable patient. This, on the other hand, revealed some missing parts, namely kidneys. After some reluctance, Mochizuki admitted that they have been transplanted already to someone, but that according to him everything is above board as all consent forms have been signed by the relevant people. Then, even Shiratori popped up suddenly, but before we could do anything more, Uehara also showed up and ordered us to leave, saying that he has orders "from above" to stop this investigation. After returning to our office, Shiratori spent some time moping around, but then told us to go and visit Dr. Taguchi at Tōjō University Hospital, as it's from there, as it turns out, where the intractable patient was originally transferred from!

And so, Murakami finds himself in Dr. Taguchi's office for indefinite complaints! What could possibly go wrong!

(And so I am here at Tōjō University Hospital... the site of the Batista scandal that I've heard all the details from the director. It doesn't look as fancy as I thought it would...)

(This is the indefinite complaints office... in this case, the image in my head was more accurate.)

Ah, no, it's fine, I just arrived...
That's good, then.
(So this is Dr. Taguchi...)

Eh?

(I have a feeling we may have a misunderstanding here...)

In order to resolve the misunderstanding, we should show him the patient chart to get the conversation going.

This chart...? But it's not one of ours?
Right, it's from Kagawa General Hospital. I came today to investigate that patient...

That's right. I am Murakami Shouta, from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare! Nice to meet you!
Ah, I see. You should have said something sooner...
Oh, sorry. I was just taking in the atmosphere...

What.

Talk: "About Dr. Taguchi".

I heard a lot about you from director Shiratori. It seems that you two are close friends...

Well, Dr. Taguchi is a master of passive phase, and afterwards, you also taught him the idea of likening...

So, yeah, remember that likening stuff? No, me either, yet another one of the things that this game built up only to never do anything with it! Although, again, it is a thing that does exist in the book!

Eh, no that's definitely not true... I never did teach that.

In the book, this likening stuff is something Taguchi does before Shiratori even shows up on the scene--Shiratori only comes to investigate the case when Taguchi is unable to solve it.

Eh? Not true? But why would he invent something like this?
I have no idea...
Really...

Ok, that's enough idle chat for now... let's find out the real story here

Talk: "About the patient who was transferred to Kagawa Hospital".

Can we talk about the patient who was transferred to Kagawa Hospital?
Oh, right, that's what you came here for.
Yes. I would like to know what was his condition, during his treatment here.

Is it all right if you talk to him? He will be coming here shortly.
It would be great, thanks!
(The image of Dr. Taguchi completely fits the reality... The two of them must be old acquaintances.)
So, this patient was transferred to Kagawa General Hospital, then?
Yes, but they subsequently died.

Talk: "About Kagawa General Hospital".

Until yesterday, I was investigating at Kagawa Hospital, do you know it?

Yes, it's quite a new building with nice facilities.

Yes, that's true. In fact, he was the attending doctor of this patient.

Huh? Dr. Kitagawa studied at the Tōjō university?
Right. He was two semesters behind me.

Well, that just came out in a jumble...

W-what? Dr. Kitagawa, a flashy person? And gambling??
He didn't seem like that at all! Just seemed like an ordinary honest person. Besides, his reputation as a doctor in the hospital is excellent.

(It seems I am learning about Dr. Kitagawa's surprising past...)

Yes, I'll do it when I go to Kagawa Hospital.

So we got a keychain with golden slippers!

Due to some old legends, the golden slippers like these are considered a bit of a good luck charm in Japan. Here is a picture of a real charm, so you can see better what they look like:

(What is this... a keychain? S-so... uncool...)

He gave it to me at the graduation ceremony, to throw away. But I couldn't do it, so I thought I would give it back to him at some point.
Well, it seems that our patient's attending doctor hasn't arrived yet... I'm sure he'll be here shortly... he just must be busy.
Well, I am in a bit of a hurry... It seems that even director Shiratori himself is participating in this investigation.

You are right... and now there is also a problem in the Ministry itself. It's definitely not straightforward at all.

This was only the second time I've heard him sound like that.
Eh? When was the first time?
It was when I told him that that patient's operation has been moved one day earlier...

Ah, yes, the thing that caused the one last death in the Batista Team case...

To be honest, he also told me today in a serious mode to please be careful...

Ah, what did the director say? I need to write him a report about this, but I am not sure if my conclusions are matching his...
Well then, would you try it on me?
What do you mean?
I will ask questions and you answer. Then, I will compare your answers to what I heard from your boss.
Since I work in indefinite complaints, questions and answers is a large part of what I do...
I see. Thank you!

Yes. The game found a way to squeeze in another one of those case review things that we have to do periodically. But this time, it seems, Taguchi is the only person available to do it with. Let's try to get through it quickly.

Well, let's start.
First of all, the patient with aplastic anaemia was transferred from here to Kagawa Hospital under their intractable patient acceptance policy.
What was the condition of the patient?
It seems that they suddenly got worse.
But since they were not originally a health person, would this be so unusual to happen?
The nurse who was in charge of him said that he didn't seem to be in such a condition to die so suddenly.
So, his condition after the transfer was not bad, in other words.
After death, during A.I. scan, an abnormality was discovered...
The kidney was missing.
But, could it not be that it was already missing from before?
I see.
Maybe they had another disease and it was removed surgically.
At the moment, I can't agree with that.
So, what happened to the missing kidney?
According to the director of surgery, it was transplanted to someone, it seems.
So it was a transplant from a dead donor.
Yes. It seems that a consent form was signed. So they say that it should not be a problem.
Well, the transplant itself is not a bad thing...
However, they seem to be hiding something, I feel a bit suspicious.
Did the chief of surgery say why he can't tell you who was the recipient of the transplant?
It was because of the personal information protection. We couldn't do anything.
Have you never used that thing from your boss?
Eh? A thing?
Yeah, his fake...
Oh. I was stopped from using it.
Did Dr. Akechi say what was the outcome of the most recent transplant surgery?
It seems it was successful. The recipient still seems to be fine.
Well, at least one life was saved...

Yes, but at what price...

Eh? Oh, yes.
What's wrong?
No, it's just during the investigation I kept being suspicious about everything that I forgot that there is one life that was saved...
Well, you can't help it, it's your job. Anyway, that's all the questions from me.

I wish the game wouldn't do these reviews because they are simply annoying and (usually) don't bring any new information.

Dr. Taguchi, how did I do?

Really! That's great! Thank you very much Dr. Taguchi!

(I wonder who it was...)

Apparently, it's none other than our other friend, Dr. Kakitani! Also, Taguchi's nickname in the book is Guchi, which means grumble in Japanese (愚痴), as a reference to his indefinite complaints office--hence Dr. Grumble.

No, it wasn't like that...
If you say so...
Nice to meet you, I am Murakami from the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.

Superstar!? Oh, right. The director said that that's what they call him here! He solved the Batista Scandal!

(So this is Dr. Kakitani...)
Hey hey, Dr. Taguchi, that's not a nice thing to say about me...

Well, let's see what he can tell us. First, though...

Talk: "About Dr. Kakitani".

Dr. Kakitani, I heard about you from the director...

Please do not be so humble... I heard about you from the days of the Batista scandal.
Oh, and also, didn't Dr. Taguchi say that you turned from hippo into a frog?
Huh?
*cough* *cough*
Is something wrong, Dr. Taguchi?
N-no, I just have a bit of a cold...

Ok, now the real stuff.

Talk: "About the patient who was transferred from Tōjō Hospital".

Please tell me about the patient who was transferred from Tōjō University Hospital.
This is the intractable patient who was transferred to Kagawa General?
That's right.

Yes! The patient actually has a name!

He was in the process of receiving bone marrow transplant from a relative... but the acceptance of the haematopoietic stem cells was not going so well.

Haematopoietic stem cells, or HSC (which reside in the bone marrow) are those that are responsible for production of new blood cells, through a process known as haematopoiesis. In a healthy adult about 100,000,000,000 to 1,000,000,000,000 new blood cells are produced every day in this manner. In addition, HSC are self-renewing, thus the stem cells themselves are never depleted through this process. All the different kinds of blood cells are produced from HCS, and because there is not a sufficient number of unpronounceable words in this paragraph, I will tell you that the part of this process which produces thrombocytes (platelets) is called megakaryocytopoiesis. So there.

Without a proper donor, we have continued the anabolic hormone protein medical therapy.

What happened after the transfer, that I don't know.
The patient passed away almost immediately after the transfer... do you think this makes sense?
To be honest, I don't know the situation after the transfer, so I don't want to guess.

Talk: "About Kagawa General Hospital".

Do you know about Kagawa General Hospital?
I don't know it in detail, but I've been hearing about it recently.
Also on TV. Do you know Dr. Akechi?
Right, the kidney transplants...
That's right, that's right.

Right... the hero.

I guess.

That's all we can get this way. To continue, we need to show him the chart of the patient from Kagawa Hospital.

What's your opinion after looking the post-transfer chart of this patient?

Obviously I can't say definitely, but looking at it from here, the patient's condition doesn't seem like it should have led to a sudden death. The patient's internal organs, apart from bone marrow, appear to be in a relatively healthy condition.
So it's difficult to imagine such a sudden worsening...
I want to ask you about the issues other than the patients medical condition... while he was here, was there anything to worry about?

Nowadays, handling of paitents' personal information is strictly regulated.

Maybe it's time to use the... oh wait, it's fake, isn't it.

Please tell me! The director asked me to investigate in any direction I can!
I guess you'll just have to apologise to the superstar!
(whispering) Murakami-san, don't you have that thing?
(whispering) What thing?
(whispering) The thing that your boss gave you... you should use that.

I really don't get it why the game always feels the need to tell us which item to use? I mean, it's kind of obvious, isn't it, it's not like we have tons of different items anyway?

What is going on?
Oh, nothing, nothing.
(All right, let's use this.)

Show the (fake) permit.

Dr. Kakitani, there should not be a problem, since I have the permit. Please tell me the patient's personal information.
What's this?
It's unlimited personal information access permit. So I already have the permission from the Ministry of Health.
How about it? Can you tell me?
I guess there's no way around it.

As a nitpick... wouldn't this mean that Taguchi would need to leave the room, since he technically doesn't have the authority to hear this?

Please tell me if there was anything unusual regarding the patient's situation. Even anything small will be interesting.

Money problems?

Kimura-san seems to have run into some problems with those payments... I don't know the actual amount, but it seemed to be non-insignificant.
I see... he had money problems...
But, isn't this strange? You would need money to be transferred to a different hospital... and also, the hospital he was transferred to, Kagawa General, has all the newest equipment and technology... so that too must be expensive?
How did Kimura-san manage that?

(I wonder how... this doesn't sound good...)

Perhaps... dare I say it... by selling his kidney? But that would mean that Kagawa Hospital has an organised organ trafficking thing going, which would be...

Yes, thank you very much!
Then, disciple, give my regards to the superstar please!

He leaves.

Well. The game certainly still seems to be in the "happening" mode. We are learning new stuff left and right... and this update is not even half done yet!

Yes, there was no problem. Thanks to you, Dr. Taguchi, I was able to learn lots of new information.

Ah right! The director told me that the udon from Tōjō Hospital restaurant is fantastic!
But... I should really go back to the office... The director said that he has another thing for me to investigate.

I'll give him a message from his best friend!

I don't think I'll ever become a best friend of that person...

In the books Taguchi is mostly constantly annoyed with Shiratori, because Shiratori keeps teasing him about everything (and also putting him in various situations like active phase, without telling him everything).

Why do you dislike the director so much...?

At the time of the Batista scandal, he really put in all his effort into preventing it from claiming even more victims. He really gave it his all.
So just tell him to keep working hard!
Yes, I'll tell him!

And now it's going to get annoying for a bit...

Ah! That's right, Dr. Taguchi, could you please do my likening?
Likening...?
Yes! Since now I've finally met you Dr. Taguchi, can you please do my likening? Dr. Taguchi, please do my likening!

Eh? But now you've got me worried...
Sorry. Please don't worry about it!
I won't! But please do my likening!
Murakami-san, can we do something else instead? How about you explain me the origin of your name? It's not really important, it's just a personal hobby of mine, to be honest...
Ah, no, I don't mind! Actually I also expected you will want to ask me this!

Luckily, he's just as easily distracted as a typical five year old.

Then, please go ahead.
Murakami Shouta... the origin of my name is when my father said that he wants me to be able to spread my wings in every situation.

The name Shouta (翔太) contains the character which means, "to fly".

But, despite my name, I haven't been able to do it yet...
I'm sure it's not bad like that... you will be able to do it, surely.
You think so?
Yes, because you are working under that person.
I... I see.
Please have confidence!
Yes! Well, thank you for your cooperation! I will get on with my work!

And, it's time to return back to our office and report to Shiratori...

I'm back!
(Eh! The director is not here? But he said there is another thing for me to do, so I came back in a hurry...)
(Oh, what is that memo on his desk?)

(My friend? But who does he mean?)

Ha ha, the game actually asks us to choose one of the three here. In fact, I'll just spoil it now--we need to visit all three of them! So the choice only impacts one sentence of dialogue that follows it! Therefore, here are all three sentences:

(Haruka-chan is happy when I come to visit her...)
(Is it about Saya-san? But I'm not sure I'll be allowed in her room...)
(Perhaps, Dr. Akechi? But the note said "sick" friend...)

That's all. Now we go on normally.

(Also, I'm not supposed to go to that hospital...)
(What is the director's intention? I don't know what to do?)
(Perhaps, I should just go to Kagawa Hospital and pretend I am only there to visit a friend...)

Surprisingly, he actualy figured it out without anybody prompting him!

So, let's head over back to Kagawa, under false pretences.

Unfortunately...

Chief Uehara!

Uh-oh...

S-sorry. But I am not here for the investigation, I'm just visiting a sick friend.
Huh? A sick friend?
I though I would visit a person with whom I became friendly during the investigation...

Oh, no, it's not like that...

Y-yes.
Oh, chief Uehara...
Hm? What?
Um... about Mizushima-san...

Oh, I see.

Uehara leaves.

(C-chief Uehara is scary...)
(Let's go for the visit immediately... I wonder if I should go visit Haruka-chan or Saya-san...)

Actually, we'll go and see Haruka, but before that, let's make a quick stop at the records room, because there are a couple of new items to read there...

RENAL FAILURE   A state in which the function of the kidneys (filtration, reabsorption and endocrine function) is reduced. In the late stage, dyalisis or renal transplantation is necessary to avoid fatal uremia. Symptoms of renal failure are: edema, hyperlipidemia, weight loss, hypertension and anaemia.

HUMAN LEUKOCYTE ANTIGEN (HLA)   A protein that exists on the surface of the cells, which makes it possible to distinguish the cells which belong to a particular body from those that don't. It is useful when fighting against viruses, bacteria, etc., but it can cause tissue to be rejected when transplanting. Therefore, it's desirable to have a high level of HLA match when doing a transplantation.

Reabsorption in kidneys is removing some useful parts from the fluid before a more concentrated urine is formed and hyperlipidemia means increased content of fats in blood. The rest of the stuff I think was already mentioned at one time or another.

Now, let's go and visit Haruka.

Wait, you're not Haruka... Well, I guess it's time to meet another new character in this case!

Ah, I was just visiting Haruka-chan...

I see...

Y-yes.

Ah, you're Haruka-chan's father... I am Murakami Shouta.

Well, let's see what kind of information we can hear from him.

Talk: "About Takayuki".

Are you waiting here for Haruka-chan?

S-sorry...
No, it's just that I have a job, so...
So your job keeps you quite busy...

Well... this is the second time we've heard of a patient with money problems today... let's ask a few more questions.

Talk: "About Haruka".

So, how is Haruka-chan doing generally?

(Is Haruka-chan's condition really so bad?)

Uh-oh. I can see a pattern here... and it's not a good one.

Haruka-chan was transferred here to Kagawa Hospital?
Yes, that's right.

Talk: "About Kagawa Hospital".

Why did you transfer her to Kagawa Hospital?

Yeah, I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure what Haruka's survivability prospects are at this point.

Is that how it was... so Haruka-chan was transferred here under that policy...
In the previous hospital, we were told that it will be difficult to treat Haruka. I thought that I could donate my own bone marrow, but it turned out that our HLA match is not so good.

As we already know from Tendo, this is true. As for family members, the best possible HLA match is normally from a sibling. But from parents, not so much.

She is acting so cheerful, despite knowing her condition... I really feel bad for her and want to help her any way I can...
Oh, I'm sorry, look at me again going on and on...

No, keep going, this is useful information!

Haruka's father, I really hope she can get better!
Thank you...

We are literally suffering from an information overload at this point in the game. Nevertheless, we do have more people to visit while "undercover". Next stop is Saya's VIP room!

Oh, god, not her.

Um, about visiting Saya-san...

I'm not a stalker! I'm just a friend of Saya-san's!
Well, I'll have to check that with her... you look a bit suspicious to me.
Well... then I will come back later.

You will!?

A condition?

You want me to go?
Yes, because if I leave the room, I don't know if Saya will disappear somewhere again...

Nice.

So you are going to let me see Saya-san if I go and call Dr. Akechi?

Yes! I will get him immediately!

Yes, we are now doing fetch quests. But this one is not a problem since it gives us a chance to talk to Akechi, so...

Dr. Akechi, do you have some time?
I came to ask you if it's possible to go and see Saya-san a little bit earlier...

Ah, yes.

Oh? What could this possibly be about?

Talk: "About the death of the intractable patient".

Is there something that worries you about this patient's death?

Yes, the chief of surgery mentioned that.
During your investigation you found that the deceased patient was the donor. But I also did a bit of looking around...

Worried... what sort of things?
Well, I can't give you the detailed personal information, but...

But, it seems there was consent for this transplantation between the deceased and the VIP patient, no?

That's an amazing coincidence...

Eh? Almost the same?

This is getting more interesting by the minute.

Talk: "About the case from five months ago".

So you did another transplant five months ago.

Similar to this one, it was a transplant from a deceased intractaable patient. Also like this one, there was a consent form, but the person was a complete stranger, without a blood relationship. Yet, despite that, the HLA match was very high.
Is such a coincidence really possible in such short amount of time?

Wait a minute... let me try to organise my thoughts on this.
Ok, I will help you.
This time, and five months ago, both patients who got the kidneys in surgeries, both recipients were... VIP patients.
Right. And both transplants were done from deceased donors.
And the fact that the transplantation was done, means that the white blood cells of the donor and the receipient had... a high degree of match.
Yes, the transplantation is impossible unless there there is a high level of match of HLA of the leukocytes. And it's quite hard to find such a person.
Also, both persons involved in the surgery, the donor and the recipient, they were both hospitalised here at Kagawa General Hospital.
Finally, in both surgeries, there seems to have been a signed consent... but the relationship between the donor and the recipient is not clear... in fact, they were not blood related.
Yes, it was a complete stranger and not a relative. Normally the kidney transplant in this manner is mostly done among relatives, such as siblings or other family members.
Why is that?
Well, there are two reasons.

The HLA trait is determined genetically. Therefore, for people who share the same DNA, such as siblings from same parents, are likely to be a good match.
I see.

Because, if you're not careful here, there might be organ trade going on.
You mean, like people selling their organs for money?
Yes, therefore at some point before the transplant, the hospital ethics committee will make strict checks that there was no money exchanged or any kind of coercion or intimidation, or similar. Because it's strictly forbidden by law to trade organs for money.
I see.
So. Do you understand everything I've told you now?
Yes. It's certainly strange that two cases like this can happen in such a way by complete coincidence.

Engineered... Do you think that someone has deliberately organised these two transplants?

And if it was really engineered... that my surgery was deliberately oragnised by someone...
Dr. Akechi?

Dr. Akechi, this only hypothetical, but if we assume that both of these surgeries were deliberately setup, what if... the same thing happens again? What do you think about that possibility?
I see. Yes, that's a definite possibility...
How many VIP patients are in the hospital at present?

That one patient, is it perhaps Saya-san?

I don't really want to say it, but I think we know who is being prepared to be Saya's donor...

Excuse me, Dr. Akechi, but I have a favour to ask!
We need to find out if there is someone in this hospital whose kidneys would be a match for Saya-san!

...but, based on what's happened so far...

But can you give me a little bit of time... I need to check all the hospitalised patiens whose HLA is known. I should be able to do this overnight.
Please!

I've already been commenting on this, but I almost can't believe the current pace of this story! It's been two whole updates with no useless running around! What has happened to this game?

Also, it almost feels like I'm not even certain that all the characters will survive to the end of this case (I don't actually know, I haven't yet played that far)! Certainly, Haruka is being prepared to become the donor for Saya, but it's not really clear who from the medical personnel might be involved in this operation...

Ah well, we're only just a bit over halway done with this case, so there is still fair bit to go... so I guess, we'll see.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
:munch:

And has it just been forever, or did the Tojo doctors have some sprites we didn't see in Case 1?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

It'd have been really great if the Tojo doctors had entirely different sprites for this section because Murakami imagined them completely wrong.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

tomanton posted:

:munch:

And has it just been forever, or did the Tojo doctors have some sprites we didn't see in Case 1?

Yeah, Taguchi has a couple of expressions we didn't see back then (mostly I guess because he was in the background of the case and not the primary investigator, so to speak).

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Wow, this is just... wow! This is getting really intense! I'm a little confused about Haruka probably ending up being the donor. I mean, she would probably do it, let's be honest, but she doesn't seem to know about it. So like, did her father have her transferred here so that he'd be the one receiving the money? I'd rather not believe that but I don't know what else would make sense. I thought it was going to be Haruka's dad signing up to be the donor, selling his organs to continue to pay for Haruka's treatment, but he's not checked in so... yeah.

The game's gotten really good!

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
It might be possible that whatever deals are going down are happening at this hospital, rather than before.
1. You get a really good kidney surgeon and plug him on tv constantly, so your hospital gets a reputation for kidney surgeries and important people who need those come to you.
2. Now that you've got a good reputation, you set up the acceptance of intractable patients that other hospitals would maybe rather not have.
3. Now you have a bunch of patients that could "take a turn for the worse" at any moment without too much suspicion and a occasionally some people in need of kidneys. If the records show compatibility, you can start trying to make a deal with the patient or the patient's guardians, since medical bills are expensive and intractable patients typically need a lot of expensive treatments. You can also play the "do something good with your actions, even if it means a sacrifice" card.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given the insistence they have that 'of course they got permission', I have a sneaking suspicion that they're forging signatures so it's possible Haruka's father is in the complete dark - the hospital sacrificing the intractable patients for the reputation boost for VIP patients and keeping all the profits so to speak.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Robindaybird posted:

given the insistence they have that 'of course they got permission', I have a sneaking suspicion that they're forging signatures so it's possible Haruka's father is in the complete dark - the hospital sacrificing the intractable patients for the reputation boost for VIP patients and keeping all the profits so to speak.

I think the same. There's no doubt that something super shady is going on in the background here, and everything seems to indicate it's that, and worse, that it is defended by important enough people to stop Shiratori in his tracks despite his usual attitude towards...anyone, really.

It puts this chapter in a much darker light than the previous ones, where at least it was just one guy or a small group of people that did wrong things. Here we may have a genuine organ trafficking operation, one ran by the very people that control Japan's medical industry.

And the only person that can stop it is an idiot who is beyond unqualified for his job.

They're completely hosed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Blaze Dragon posted:

And the only person that can stop it is an idiot who is beyond unqualified for his job.

They're completely hosed.

Well, they did put Chekov on the table with Mizushima, who is almost certainly not "sitting quietly and working at the office"

so they're like ... 99% instead of 100% screwed? :v:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Ah, I hadn't thought about that. That's... that's simultaneously relieving to think about in comparison to the idea her own father would have done it to her, and more horrifying knowing that other patients may not have agreed to it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I suspected Akechi of being a bad guy who was "too good to be true," so consider me chuffed to see him actually really loving concerned about the possibility of people being coerced into an organ trade. This plotline is pretty good. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Shoeless posted:

Ah, I hadn't thought about that. That's... that's simultaneously relieving to think about in comparison to the idea her own father would have done it to her, and more horrifying knowing that other patients may not have agreed to it.
I'm guessing signature forging is how they're going to make this plainly illegal, assuming there's not another case of a doctor 'accidentally' killing their patients(so they can get their hands on those sweet sweet kidneys).

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Maybe it's not so much forging the signature as giving false promises. Something like "we'll do our best for you, but you do have an incredibly tricky disease. How about signing this form to donate your kidneys if the worst happens, and if something should happen we'll wipe away your debt."

The person thinks it's a way to spare their family debt if the worst should happen, not knowing their is already a recipient waiting.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kitala posted:

we'll wipe away your debt."

Bring us the kidneys and wipe away the debt.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

Shoeless posted:

Bring us the kidneys and wipe away the debt.

There’s another reality where everyone has Parkinson’s.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kitala posted:

There’s another reality where everyone has Parkinson’s.

I'm still not convinced that this isn't that reality.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's an appropriate scope for a final case, at least.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think I'd like the mystery a lot better if it wasn't obvious who the donor was gonna be.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Hey guys, sorry about a bit of a delay between updates!

The next one should be posted tomorrow finally, and then after that we have exactly 3 left until the end of the game! :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder how many people are going to get arrested this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder how many people are going to get arrested this time.

I'm hoping for 'absolutely everyone'.