Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Wheels also tend to behave as if you're driving on ice no matter how high you set the friction settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
They teased a wheel fix something like 8 months ago, which promptly fell into the void (along with that little hydrogen engine). Changes/fixes are coming "Soon(tm)" but really that just means "before the heat death of the universe."

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rhjamiz posted:

Wheels also tend to behave as if you're driving on ice no matter how high you set the friction settings.

Yeah, there's something wrong with the physics when trying to park on a grassy 'slope' of 1 degree means the vehicle has a permanent 0.05km/h velocity.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So far the 'best' use for wheels is building something with no drive wheels at all - that is, no powered wheels, just put them on rotors with no limits or resistance - add a thruster to the rear end end of your design, and basically use the wheels as skids.

Theoretically wheeled things are very power-efficient on account of not needing to use thruster power to stay in the air, but in practice - yeah.

Adding insult to injury, building stuff in a planetary gravity well is a pain in the dick anyhow. Atmospheric thrusters aren't very efficient so you have to use a metric poo poo-ton of them to handle heavy loads, and while hydrogen plasma thrusters have a lot of oomph, the small H2 tanks have approximately a wet fart's worth of capacity. Generally atmo designs are going to be either teeny-tiny little hopper remote drones, or these enormous hulks that stay aloft out of pure stubborness. Anything reasonably useably big is kind of hard to build in a way that won't either run out of fuel immediately or handle like rear end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you don't mind mods, I highly recommend the Azimuth Mega Modpack for thrusters. They have the old 10x inertial dampener thrust, AND work in atmosphere. They're great for cutting down on engine thrust to keep ships in the air.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! We have another minor update for you this week, but do not despair! We have big major build cooking in our basement, where we keep the programmers shackled and working. It should be ready for the release into the wild soon! (the update and the programmers)

Also, if you want to participate in the Space Engineers Physics & Engineering Contest - there is one week left.
For more details continue to: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2017/11/space-engineers-physics-engineering.html

Fixes

fixed Round Armor Slope mirroring
fixed Remote Control not saving actions on dedicated server
fixed an issue with Rotor Part not being possible to place on the Rotor
fixed deleting group of blocks when one of its blocks on sub-grid is removed

Thanks!
Keen Software House team

Pretty sure most of those programmers must be dead by now, considering how long they've been kept down there :ohdear:. Though you'd think after ten weeks of bugfixes they'd at least toss out a preview of their next "big major build".

I honestly couldn't tell you what compelled me to make it, yet here it is; The Pigeon Bi-Plane.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
That is awesome, well done.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I want twelve

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It flies on battery power, and lasts about 20 minutes in the air. There's a reactor for quicker charging though, and it'd probably add to the flight time a bit in parallel with the battery. You're also stuck with whatever oxygen tanks you bring with you, and ammo's loaded in through the cockpit seat for a hand-loaded feel.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

^^Its so cute. :allears:
With the Plane Parts and Propellers mods you can make some awesome bi / mono planes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure most of those programmers must be dead by now, considering how long they've been kept down there :ohdear:. Though you'd think after ten weeks of bugfixes they'd at least toss out a preview of their next "big major build".

At this point the "big major update" might just be bugfixes anyway, like the wheel fixes they showed off ages ago. :(

I've gone and bought Empyrion for survival gameplay. It has come a long way, still needs work but its in a good place and the devs are active in listening to the community.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jigoku San posted:

^^Its so cute. :allears:
With the Plane Parts and Propellers mods you can make some awesome bi / mono planes.

At this point the "big major update" might just be bugfixes anyway, like the wheel fixes they showed off ages ago. :(

I've gone and bought Empyrion for survival gameplay. It has come a long way, still needs work but its in a good place and the devs are active in listening to the community.

I keep meaning to try the plane parts mod. I keep sticking with the old extended blast door block modpack because you can make angled wings with it.

edit: I gave the modpacks a look, and I'm not that big a fan of the wings one. Too much of it is pre-built large blocks instead of letting the player shape what they want. There's also no angle pieces, so it's flat wings or nothing. Here's the W.A.S.P. Falcon with an attempt to replicate its wings;

The old blast door mods give it nice swept-back angles instead of being flat.

I've also improved the Falcon's thrust in atmosphere by cramming more atmospheric thrusters into its rear end;

I also only just realized it's been missing landing gear all this time, so I fixed that as well. :cripes:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 27, 2018

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yeah, I do kinda wish they were normal blocks like the old wing parts / blast door extension mods.

The wings need to be larger so the aerodynamics script doesn't get too heavy on a single plane. Aerodynamics is where the mod shines, you wouldn't need most of the thrusters on the Falcon with the right wing setup(E. At least on a planet).

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 27, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jigoku San posted:

Yeah, I do kinda wish they were normal blocks like the old wing parts / blast door extension mods.

The wings need to be larger so the aerodynamics script doesn't get too heavy on a single plane. Aerodynamics is where the mod shines, you wouldn't need most of the thrusters on the Falcon with the right wing setup(E. At least on a planet).

All very true. I just wish it had some angled pieces :sigh:.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jigoku San posted:

How is it as a singleplayer game?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

How is it as a singleplayer game?

I'm enjoying it, There's a few scripted scenarios as well as the basic survival. It's got a good set of options to make aspects harder, easier or turn off.

The early and mid game are fairly solid. You got a mining/building, hunting/growing and raiding Points of Interest game loop. They just added selling to the traders on the Admin bases/stations, helps to get stuff easily or earlier. The "endgame" is currently "make your own gameplay" like a lot of survival games. Goto another planet and build a bigger base/ship, raid more PoIs and gather more stuff to build etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Someone on Steam reminded me I never uploaded the Mk.5 version of the Kestrel Shuttle... aaand I may have rebuilt it even more. The atmo thrusters are tucked into the hull now, leaving the wings free for equipment. I also rebuilt the armor shroud so instead of just being some neat-looking flanking armor it actually encases almost the entire shuttle in a later of Reinforced Armor, even along parts of the underside. Along with a glass-covered stealth variant for tacticool infiltration style.

Kestrel Shuttle Mk.5

Surprisingly I think it's actually less likely to damage the shuttle as it's ejected than the old version.

Ain't nothing there, don't look too close :ninja:

Or just slap whatever random gear you like on the thing and go traveling.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week it's... :siren: NOT BUGFIXES:siren:

The major release goes live in about two hours, and they will be streaming its release at 7PM (CEST) on their Twitch channel here.

From the teaser images they've floated about, looks like we're at the very least getting the new wheel physics and new lighting code.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This week it's... :siren: NOT BUGFIXES:siren:

The major release goes live in about two hours, and they will be streaming its release at 7PM (CEST) on their Twitch channel here.

From the teaser images they've floated about, looks like we're at the very least getting the new wheel physics and new lighting code.

Also probably a secret feature like welders causing grids to explode. Wouldn't be space engineers without new bugs. :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What changes are they making to the lighting?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

OwlFancier posted:

What changes are they making to the lighting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwolUCSAmQ

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neat. It does look nicer if a little bloomy. Mostly I like that the lighting engine works nicely indoors but we'll see how this looks too.

I do enjoy this though:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Jerkiness of the netcode and clang on display in that video. :(

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

It's actually a feature. Press X to make your wheeled vehicle jump a bit using the sussension. I know it sounds like a joke but that's what it is. It's to get your thing unstuck or something.

Yeah, take another look at it. Before it bounces, you can see the susspension lower a bit. It's all automatic.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Welp they broke mining. Seems like they reversed the little cosmetic bits with the chunks you normally pick up, so if you find you can't get any ore try grabbing all the little pieces with F :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ass_Burgerer posted:

It's actually a feature. Press X to make your wheeled vehicle jump a bit using the sussension. I know it sounds like a joke but that's what it is. It's to get your thing unstuck or something.

Yeah, take another look at it. Before it bounces, you can see the susspension lower a bit. It's all automatic.

I think they mean the actual youtube vid which yes does have a bit of noticeable jerkiness in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

Hello, Engineers! With today’s major update, 1.186.0, we are releasing a massive overhaul of visuals, audio and wheels, together with a huge number of additional improvements to the core of Space Engineers.
For more info go to Marek's blog post describing all the changes in detail along with visual examples: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2018/02/overhaul-visuals-audio-wheels.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwolUCSAmQ

Visual

Added high dynamic range rendering
Added eye adaptation
Added new post-processing effects
Added support for NVIDIA Ansel technology
Added depth-buffer clipping avoidance (when you get close to an obstacle, your tool or weapon won’t be clipping through it)
Added debris to explosions
Added block explosions
Added camera shake effects
Added extreme quality for voxels and models (not intended for real-time gameplay)
Reworked all particle effects from scratch
Improved tone mapping and bloom
Improved global illumination
Improved glass appearance(window blocks, cockpits)
Improved point and spot light attenuation
Improved and polished character animations, stabilized holding and using tools, movement cool down animation
Improved GPU particle system
Changed armor edges visual (small and large)
Added new Skybox (you can find the old skybox here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1286315367
Changed suit headlight glare, dust cone, light settings
Fixed blocks coloring to work the same as in original Space Engineers
Fixed bullet hit decals/bullet holes
Fixed 3D Models: cockpit chairs, “under construction” blocks, driller head metal material, astronaut boots with proper stripe for magnetic effect and many more

Wheels

New wheel static friction simulation (wheels will maintain expected path in turns, no more sideways sliding)
Changes in Terminal Screen (removed number of unused/obsolete wheel/suspension settings - the game takes care of the details, tuned the default settings)
Modified contact point response for wheels (no more wild voxel bounce-off and sliding)
Adaptive steering (steering angle and speed are automatically adjusted based on car speed at the moment)
Dynamic center of mass for vehicles (virtual center of mass for Wheel-Suspension interaction is adjusted to further improve car behavior)
Air shock suspensions (jumping vehicles will extend and strengthen suspension in mid air to better absorb the shock impact upon landing and prevent damage of the chassis)
Added suspension jumping feature (when your off-road adventure gets you into rough terrain and your car can’t get out of it (wheels are spinning, the car sits on its belly) - press X and the car will make a small or large jump. Wheels need to be in contact with ground. The car is using the suspension springs to quickly push itself up.)
Tweaked acceleration/deceleration/stopping/braking
Mass of a vehicle influences its inertia - e.g. heavier vehicles continue moving forward with more energy than lighter ones when left unattended with no braking force applied to them
Physics surface materials (voxel materials now have real physical properties like friction and restitution based on surface type)
Fixed multiplayer support for wheels
Increased robustness and endurance of wheel and suspension blocks - so they don’t break after jumps

Gameplay

Faster walk/run/sprint for astronaut
Faster jetpack acceleration and deceleration
Rifle is more precise now
Changed gravity behavior for the character
Doors open/close faster
New conveyor system overload state - when your grid is in power overload, you will see new yellow color on conveyor tubes

Audio

Small and large ship sounds - emphasizing feel of accelerating by adding additional sounds
HUD voices re-enabled (e.g. “low energy” warning)
Footsteps tweaked for new speed of character movement. It also supports different ground materials (ice, rocks, metal, glass). Now you should hear and feel when you are running.
Footsteps sound also start sooner
Character landing/fall sounds are now more prominent, you should really feel it, this is very important for immersion and different surface materials
Polished where the sound listener object resides - before it was sometimes in the camera and sometimes in the center of a ship. Now it's always in the camera and the only exception is when you are piloting a large ship from the cockpit - listener is in camera, but you will also hear sound of the ship.
New sound when your character dies - very subtle, but giving you important feedback
Magnetic boots, on/off sound, different materials, you should really feel how they stick you to the surface
Character jumping sound - emphasizing the rubbing of textile, making the jumping more satisfying
Ships colliding and crashing (and sliding and scratching)
Small ship cockpit - enter/leave sound - now has heavier sound, feels rewarding. You just want to keep entering a leaving the ship.
Bullet impact on rocks has the standard wild west "pew" sound as it had in all our games. Must “hear” feature!
Max sound instances - The game is prioritizing sounds by distance and slowly turn off less relevant sounds. It is difficult to notice, but it helps with realism.
Distance to sound source - this is an older feature but it’s so awesome that I must mention it: when the distance between sound and listener increases over a certain threshold, you will hear it a bit muffled and with “long distance effect” applied on it. Awesome for gunshots, explosions, etc.
Jetpack sound tweaked
Tool sounds tweaked, better timing
Decreased default music volume to 50%, so you can hear the sound effects better - but you can also raise it back to 100% if you want
New sounds for doors
New destruction sounds for some blocks
New sound for brakes (key P)
New sound for antenna (key O)
Doppler effect changes - you can turn off doppler effect in options, Sound Block is ignoring doppler effect and overall it was toned down
New Sensor sound

Performance

New Voxel generation engine (faster loading times - about 60% faster, instant changes/damage to voxels - more than 400% faster)
Turrets performance changed and tweaked
Loading priority for textures and models
Ore detector performance changes with better multithreading
Added Sync Distance to Dedicated Server settings
Optimized simulation speed after splitting a grid
Optimized simulation speed with multiple missiles and Gatling gun turrets being used
Optimized updating of Upgrade Module

UI

Official Russian translation
Horizontal scrollbar for multiline text area
Changes to color palette UI (real HSV values, new design, help)
Time of the day slider in Admin tools (works in multiplayer too)
Auto focus for search input field in control panel
LCD highlight changes
New search box in load screen
Added alignment feature to LCD
Changes and fixes for the terminal UI

Modding/Scripting API Breaking Changes

IMyGasTank.FilledRatio was changed to double type
Terminal properties and actions for IMyMotorSuspension.Damping, SteerSpeed, SteerReturnSpeed, SuspensionTravel were removed (Corresponding C# interface properties were marked as obsolete and will be removed later)
Changes in particles for weapons and tools
Changes in glass shader can break some mods using transparent materials

Fixes:

Fixed crash of DS when setting same block twice in block limits
Fixed a crash when joining a multiplayer game through Steam UI
Fixed a crash when joining a multiplayer game through Friends invite
Fixed an issue where newly created grids are sent to all players on server regardless their distance to the grid
Fixed Heavy Armor's durability during collisions
Fixed conveyor system updating
Fixed conveyor system becoming nonfunctional when joining a dedicated server
Fixed "T" key (automatic block rotation) state of persistence
Fixed changes done by Voxel hand propagating to newly added asteroids on DS
Reduced chance of drilled boulders rotating in gravity on DS
Fixed an issue where big grids pasted as subparts appeared out of position while pasting it
Fixed pasting of blueprints while moving
Fixed a possibility to build diagonally connected grids by copy/paste in high velocity
Fixed placement offset on moving grids causing overlapping of blocks
Fixed inability to weld projected blueprints at short distances
Fixed parts of blocks sometimes being visually present after their destruction
Fixed ships accidentally becoming stations by merging to and unmerging from stations
Fixed hand drill animation for secondary drilling mode (Right Mouse Button)
Fixed inconsistent behavior when joining a faction from inside and outside of a cockpit
Fixed assembler pulling more components than necessary
Fixed engineer floating above the seat inside the fighter cockpit
Fixed gameplay timer issue, timer is more precise now
Fixed forced first person view while drilling
Fixed misaligned third person view when moving on high velocity grids
Fixed missing windows when forced to first person view in cockpits
Fixed not zooming out when being forced out of ironsights by sprinting
Fixed camera clipping through the player character in tight spaces
Fixed clipping through planet voxel for player and grid
Fixed blinking grass
Fixed smoke clouds changing color
Fixed thruster effects persisting in the world after switching thrusters off
Fixed particles behaving erratically in high gravity
Fixed cone of light disappearing when source of light is out of view
Fixed an issue with space dust being rendered to close to the camera
Fixed muzzle flash of gatling turret disappearing at certain angles
Fixed centering of text on LCDs in campaign
Improved text wrapping at block’s detailed info
Fixed in-game screenshots to display all GUI elements properly
Fixed position of loading screen wheel
Fixed overflowing text in control panel
Fixed multiple textboxes not being able to be scrolled to right and added scroll-bar
Adjusted GUI formatting
Fixed border in server description text field
Fixed Curved Conveyor Tube LOD
Fixed Sensor LODs
Fixed Remote control visual for distant LOD
Fixed cracking sound when exiting game to main menu
Fixed an issue where some sounds were missing after reload
Fixed sounds of jumping and falling not being played every time
Fixed Jump Drive sound synchronization
Fixed lift made from piston, no more jumping on platform

Fixes (Player Reports):

Fixed applying moddable content file attribute to VoxelMapStorageDefinition
Fixed expanding pool for AddTriangleBillboard method
Fixed gamelogic updates on Programmable Block
Fixed turrets shooting already dead targets
Fixed updating of kinematic RB position for space ball causing unexpected behavior of space ball in some cases
Fixed O2/H2 Generators not pulling ice through conveyor system
Fixed wheels properties not being properly replicated for copy/pasted vehicles
Fixed resetting of friction when copying grid with suspension
Fixed an issue where wheel suspensions could caused grids to spin
Highly reduced unexpected forces affecting wheeled vehicles
Fixed placement boundaries when placing blocks above the voxel
Fixed inverted controls for vehicles where cockpit is positioned lower than suspensions
Fixed various text fields where text could overflow visual boundaries
Fixed resetting of UI volume after exiting a game to main menu
Fixed Timer Block LOD
Fixed doors leaving a gap when closed while opening
Fixed glass not being enlightened by artificial lights
Fixed UI sounds being set at maximum after reload of the game
Fixed issue with a sound of hangar doors being cut off if the block is turned off while playing it
Fixed bullet hitting sound of trees
Fixed soundblock keeps silent when reaching its range

In case of any issues, please leave a report and your log in our Bug Forum section - it really helps hotfix everything for your quicker. ;) Thanks a lot for your help!

Keen Software House team

It's a pretty drat good patch this week :swoon:.

The new visual effects are pretty drat stunning, but the bloom needs to be toned down a little.

The kinetic knockback from projectile impacts needs a little work too. The Battlecarrier just smacked that Dreadnought away like it was nothing. There also seems to be a general bug with the firing rate of all weapons, because they're waaaay slower than they should be.

As for on the ground...

Thrusters actually help vehicles get up ramps now by assisting wheel thrust instead of just smashing two floaty objects together. The Mantis Tank is no longer defeated by shallow inclines! Planet-rendering in general is a lot less chuggy as well.

But that's a boring way to test changes.

Because I can, and I want to see what will happen.

CONTACT!

A little bump into the ground at full speed and a wheel comes off. Oh well, got three more! :pseudo:

Ejected once spent

And it turns out some blocks are a lot more explody on impact now. Half of the Ant survived the landing, though. Good enough!

The last thing I tested was breaking out one of my old projects that just did not like being as heavy as it was; the 700,000+kg Stag Battle Tank. It used to just crush itself under its own weight. It now happily crawls at a snail's pace with little care for how goddamn heavy it is.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 3, 2018

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

M-M-M-Major Update

The Good:

Wheels that work omg.

Explodyness, even regular blocks now explode and rain debris all over. Michael Bay Approved.

Everything seems slightly more tough.

Acceleration is much faster or something. The vanilla version of my battleship could be lapped by a snail, now it gets up to speed much quicker, enough to be useful.

LCDs only have an emissive border so they can be read.

Faster doors.

The Bad:

The regular armor textures are meh. The thick, over dark lines are bad enough, But they added the LQ worn/scraped areas, vents and such. I'm pretty sure there was pushback against old worn-out textures before, which is why the previous textures were there?

One toggle for 10 settings. Each of them need a separate toggle or slider. The bloom needs to be turned down, vinegete and screen dirt need to be off die a fiery death. Toggle off chromatic whatsit too.

The Ugly:

The skybox, it's just a uglier, duller, grayer version of the blue one? Why not realistic space, has Keen ever seen another space game, NASA photos, the night sky?

All in all, it was an update, But I sure would like to have some better exploration and survival to play while enjoying the new gfx.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 3, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jigoku San posted:

All in all, it was an update, But I sure would like to have some better exploration and survival to play while enjoying the new gfx.

The problem with new actual content is the semi-boring stuff like wheels that work and rebuilt voxel code needs to happen first. Otherwise you get stuck having to rebuild whatever new coding functions are built on top of that every time it's changed. On the plus side, given what they've put into this patch, they might very well finally be at the point they can put together new actual content.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh I'm still skeptical that they're going to put real singleplayer content in, a lot of their stuff seems like it's dancing around the fact that they don't really know what to put in to make a good singleplayer game out of it so they're just adding game framework constantly.

Like the game is a fun toy to play with but it's not a very good game and I don't really know if they're planning to make it into one.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

People say that, but its not entirely true, development can happen in parallel. If what you say is true, they would have had to rebuild half the game to put in the new voxel code if the first place.

Tweaking the survival balance should be an ongoing thing. Changing how many steel plates and electronics and adding springs to make wheels doesn't need them to have the improved functionality, Welding/grinding up a ship doesn't require the particles.

They haven't really looked at survival for 3-4 years besides add recipes for newer blocks. Many other games(indie ones) are able to work on gameplay while they also work on graphics.

I think Marek only cares about a physics sandbox. That's his original vision for SE.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jigoku San posted:

People say that, but its not entirely true, development can happen in parallel. If what you say is true, they would have had to rebuild half the game to put in the new voxel code if the first place.

Tweaking the survival balance should be an ongoing thing. Changing how many steel plates and electronics and adding springs to make wheels doesn't need them to have the improved functionality, Welding/grinding up a ship doesn't require the particles.

Not quite. Taking your example; Particle code would most likely be a single class called by every single action that uses it (welding, grinding, shooting blocks, etc). Changing how it's called due to optimization breaks particle effects across the board until each individual call is updated in the existing code for welding/grinding/shooting. The same goes for any object-oriented programming with dependencies, and Space Engineers wasn't exactly well-coded to begin with. They either just keep looping around rebuilding more and more function calls every time they fix a problem in hastily-written code (which wastes more time in the long-term), or just sit down and build something right once and for all.

Jigoku San posted:

I think Marek only cares about a physics sandbox. That's his original vision for SE.

Woah, hey, that's not right. You're forgetting he wants to make it a physics sandbox with GoodAI :pseudo:.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought the AI thing was that he wants to bring about the singularity with his space engineers money.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the AI thing was that he wants to bring about the singularity with his space engineers money.

I could've sworn I read some of it was for general game NPC AI, but I can't find the blogpost now :sigh:.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, he definitely wants to make the most powerful AI in the world.

https://www.goodai.com/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

No, he definitely wants to make the most powerful AI in the world.

https://www.goodai.com/

Well, poo poo :negative:.

As repentance, I give the answer to a question no-one asked; How do you make your own underground surface-to-orbit missile silo?

Turns out the answer is a heavy-duty VTOL and drills. Lots and lots of drills.

Just wedge that fucker on down to ground-level while trying to keep it vertical.

Now you're all set to launch remote-controlled ship-destroying cluster missiles at assholes in orbit :yayclod:.

Incidentally, the missiles themselves are available here if anyone wants to try blowing poo poo up. Just mount them to the side of your mothership, or just on the ground beside your base, point towards something unfriendly, and fly remotely by laser-link. Release payload about a km away from impact, and your target gets 24 scattered warheads in the face along with a big kinetic rod. They're also entirely vanilla, no mods required.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody hellfire but wheels are good now.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Bloody hellfire but wheels are good now.

Yeah they're still a little susceptible to doing odd things but they managed to make them loving fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doop doop de doo just driving my base around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Never thought I'd see the day when this was a perfectly practical planetary mining setup.

It works with stacked pistons but I used a modded 35m one for compactness. You can ride the drill down and drill around down there by hand too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Is multiplayer finally ok in space engineers

• Locked thread