Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Lol

Dude claimed to achieve a score of 1110500 in a game called Fathom

The second place record is 142

Why did everyone believe this guy, don't you need some kind of proof

e: I got 69 billion points in, uh, Mario, but I lost the tape. Swear on me mum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nobody cared

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But the World Refused to Care...

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

oldpainless posted:

Nobody cared

History repeats.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

RFC2324 posted:

Look up his imdb page. In 2012 he played himself in the movies The King of Cons and The Perfect Fraudman. How did no one figure this out?

Playing "himself" in two documentaries.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Phlegmish posted:

Why did everyone believe this guy, don't you need some kind of proof

e: I got 69 billion points in, uh, Mario, but I lost the tape. Swear on me mum

The way that Twin Galaxies worked you had to send a tape (actual VHS) to one of the refs that they employed. The guy would watch the tape, verify that it was real, and then approve it on the website.

Only problems were that the guy he used was his best friend (or at least a good friend) and also they gave the guy himself authority to post scores. So he just sort of posted whatever he wanted.

So it was more "I got 69 billion points in Mario, and I sent the tape to Dave" and Dave was like "Uh, yeah, confirmed."

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
These people, their video game authority treehouse club and the whole highscore drama was also the focus of the 2007 documentary The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. Surprise, absolutely everyone involved is incredibly insufferable and awful.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Colander Crotch posted:

The way that Twin Galaxies worked you had to send a tape (actual VHS) to one of the refs that they employed. The guy would watch the tape, verify that it was real, and then approve it on the website.

Only problems were that the guy he used was his best friend (or at least a good friend) and also they gave the guy himself authority to post scores. So he just sort of posted whatever he wanted.

So it was more "I got 69 billion points in Mario, and I sent the tape to Dave" and Dave was like "Uh, yeah, confirmed."

Corruption in atari speedrunning? This is worse than the olympics! :negative:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

oldpainless posted:

Nobody cared

actually no it's much funnier than that

EVERYBODY cared, because this guy was basically a god to this weird subculture as being the best player ever and he made a living Being Good At Videogames in the 80s

It was literally an Emperor's New Clothes situation where they would have had to admit to themselves that Todd, glorious Todd was not a perfect person

Also Twin Galaxies, which is just an Arcade that started keeping track of video game scores, REALLY REALLY wants to be a big important website and ALSO they all know Todd and admitting that they've been conned or that "some guys we know who ARE NOT LIARS said it happened" isn't a good enough standard ruins their reputation

it's this weird large scale corruption over THE LEAST IMPORTANT THING and I love it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Your Computer posted:

These people, their video game authority treehouse club and the whole highscore drama was also the focus of the 2007 documentary The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters. Surprise, absolutely everyone involved is incredibly insufferable and awful.

My favorite part is the home video (audio only) of the guy screaming in despair when he blew a perfect Donkey Kong run after many hours

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

My favorite part is the home video (audio only) of the guy screaming in despair when he blew a perfect Donkey Kong run after many hours

Is that the part where he shouts at his crying kid for interrupting his Donkey Kong or is it later? I couldn't actually finish the documentary

theflyingorc posted:

actually no it's much funnier than that

EVERYBODY cared, because this guy was basically a god to this weird subculture as being the best player ever and he made a living Being Good At Videogames in the 80s

It was literally an Emperor's New Clothes situation where they would have had to admit to themselves that Todd, glorious Todd was not a perfect person

Also Twin Galaxies, which is just an Arcade that started keeping track of video game scores, REALLY REALLY wants to be a big important website and ALSO they all know Todd and admitting that they've been conned or that "some guys we know who ARE NOT LIARS said it happened" isn't a good enough standard ruins their reputation

it's this weird large scale corruption over THE LEAST IMPORTANT THING and I love it
also the entire thing where the dingy arcade declares itself the INTERNATIONAL AUTHORITY of video game scores

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Not sure how the author confused Norway's flag for Canada's.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Colander Crotch posted:

Said friend is also now in prison for pedophilia and Rogers claimed all of the tapes he sent in were confiscated when the dude got arrested. That also wasn't true.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

which is funny because didn't billy mitchell get stripped of his title as well?

fake edit: lol accused, but apparently twin galaxies is putting him 'under review

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I got 『Bark at the Moon Moon』

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/W3uU3Rm.gifv

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

eh the original is better

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

But did he take a shower?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

eh the original is better

Sometimes they ask for zip code. Get that, too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Mine's 42069.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Last one on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6851HsSuho

"h"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Awesome! We're in the same zip. My +4 is 42069-1488!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Do you guys also live on Boner Hitler boulevard?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My PIN is 1337 if that helps with this project.

It isn't really, I'm just joking.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

which is funny because didn't billy mitchell get stripped of his title as well?

fake edit: lol accused, but apparently twin galaxies is putting him 'under review

What blew me away the most was all those tech industry millionaires who retired in their 20's and 30's who decided they'd spend every waking moment of the rest of their lives playing lovely 80's arcade games with other dweebs, and developed a social hierarchy around their scores. Nerds really are the worst.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Bloop posted:

It isn't really, I'm just joking.

That's exactly what someone who just revealed their PIN would say!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
My bank allows setting a 6-8 digit security code but i set a 12 digit one cause I'm 1337 like that.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Hows the weather in Melber Kentucky this time of year?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pr0zac posted:

Hows the weather in Melber Kentucky this time of year?

I just drove through there last night

It was nice

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karate Bastard posted:

My bank allows setting a 6-8 digit security code but i set a 12 digit one cause I'm 1337 like that.

how the hell did you figure out my pin code?

are you a wizard?

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
My PIN code is your mom's weight

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Stex T posted:

My PIN code is your mom's weight

Well mine would be your moms weight but it only goes up to 9999

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Data Graham posted:

I just drove through there last night

It was nice

nice.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
My pin is the price of a cheese pizza and a large soda at Panucci's Pizza, where I used to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SpacePig posted:

My pin is the price of a cheese pizza and a large soda at Panucci's Pizza, where I used to work.

Sorry about your dog