Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

e: woops double post :/

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Yeah, general technological progress to optional or eventual divergence. So that fleets an ships feel very different from each other.

Sots did this pretty well. This isn't an Esport game. Balance can suck a dick.

Also a racial category like the zuul (sots) or reavers would be hot.

Their ships suck, can only really steal tech an reproduce rapidly would be a great addition.

My zuul playstyle in sots multiplayer involved a fleet designed around disabling ships and boarding pod cruisers. It was great an something similar would be great.

Also capital worlds should be upgradable to 25 tiles, an thosr bonus' disappear when you move the capital.

you can though, just do lots of wars and analyze debris

dont bother with scientists for research to save influence, good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Eiba posted:

I'm bugged by it too.

Seems like a fair thing to point out. It's kind of mildly funny when you notice it and seems worth sharing. It's fun to be a bit pedantic about these kinds of details.

I guess congratulations to everyone who's being vocally not bothered by it though?

The dev time it takes to change things doesn't come from the ether, so to me, it doesn't seem like a great use of resources to resolve something this cosmetic

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol someone in chat in one of the dev streams brought up the idea here about the gatekeeper fallen empire

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VirtualStranger posted:

I can't be the only one who's bugged by this.

I'd be bugged by it if it was unintentional, fine if it was. Turns out the author's alive and well.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I didn't even realize you could zoom in that far

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Lol someone in chat in one of the dev streams brought up the idea here about the gatekeeper fallen empire

Wrong way around my friend, I was inspired by it!

VirtualStranger posted:

I'm not, but I totally get being bothered by it. Since Archery in TV tends to irritate me occasionally. :haw:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 13, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

VirtualStranger posted:

Wow no way. Next you're gonna tell me that it's impossible for sentient life to form inside a gas giant. You know, if you didn't fail the anomaly, you would know exactly what's going on there, mister space scientist :colbert:

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 13, 2018

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That just reminds me that I haven't seen those fuckers in a while but have found them twice in one game before

God I hate them

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Is there any actual payoff to that quest or is it just a complete waste of time? For me it's always ended after the revolution.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I didn't mind running into them when my science ships didn't really have much else to do, they can provide some nice gifts early on in the game to give you a boost. When they made stupid requests like being relocated to the other side of the galaxy, or deep into my enemies territory or under the protective gaze of the Dimensional Horror then yeah, they're hosed. What's wrong with the gas giants in neighbouring systems you annoying fucks?

Also what really bothers me about that planet is that it actually spins tumbling end-over-end:

The ring system remains stationary though. Why? Because.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Also what really bothers me about that planet is that it actually spins tumbling end-over-end:

The ring system remains stationary though. Why? Because.

an ancient precursor race did it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pigbuster posted:

Is there any actual payoff to that quest or is it just a complete waste of time? For me it's always ended after the revolution.

I think you maybe get some energy or something, it's a decent amount if you have it happen early (and they don't want to be relocated to the middle of a fallen empire's territory or something)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously the solution is to add a megaproject to push the planet/rings back into alignment, adds +10% unity generation for 20 years on completion, because any species anal enough to bother with it is clearly the kind of people who would actually feel a sense of accomplishment from doing it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Add in a new part to that event where the gas planet species tells you to fix the aesthetically unappealing rings of their planet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pigbuster posted:

Add in a new part to that event where the gas planet species tells you to fix the aesthetically unappealing rings of their planet.

This could be solved permanently by blowing their planet up.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Omniblivion posted:

I didn't even realize you could zoom in that far

:same: fix ur game wiz,!!,

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

an ancient precursor race did it.

It would actually be cool if this was a clue something was off and you could discover a Jupiter brain or something.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

McSpanky posted:

It would actually be cool if this was a clue something was off and you could discover a Jupiter brain or something.

I once discovered Jupiter was a barren rock underneath those clouds

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why do you care dude ughhhh

How is the game going to be better if they change that? It isn't.

lmao what.

Do you think I'm outraged about this and demanding it to be fixed or something? It was just a mildly amusing thing I noticed.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VirtualStranger posted:

lmao what.

Do you think I'm outraged about this and demanding it to be fixed or something? It was just a mildly amusing thing I noticed.
I'm sorry but the prevailing narrative is that you've uninstalled the game and spent the past 24 hours mailing pictures of gas giants covered in (correctly aligned) expletives to everyone in Paradox. Your actual feelings, actions, and intent are irrelevant.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Why do you care dude ughhhh

How is the game going to be better if they change that? It isn't.

Good to know that currency theory isnt the only thing you wildly misread.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Splicer posted:

I'm sorry but the prevailing narrative is that you've uninstalled the game and spent the past 24 hours mailing pictures of gas giants covered in (correctly aligned) expletives to everyone in Paradox. Your actual feelings, actions, and intent are irrelevant.

tbh this is the only reasonable course of action for any true fan of Paradox games. Also photoshopped images of gas giants with a cock halfway inside it, with the subtitle "My dick in Uranus". Correctly aligned, of course.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 13, 2018

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I got a weird event chain involving time loops and an event that transformed my human commonwealth into a more intelligent version. I lost about 3 scientists to it and wound up opening up a whole new area of technology. It's the single biggest and most in-depth event chain I've ever encountered. I had weird loop facilities that produced power but made my pops unhappy because presumably they were tampering with poo poo they shouldn't be.

I wish the game had more events like this.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
That event is a bit of free DLC in itself (The Horizon Signal), so it's no surprise extra effort was put into it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The way sensor range will spread across hyperlanes now makes the Sentry Array feel a lot more sinister to me. Like a giant spaceborne spider sensing every twitch on the galactic web. :tinfoil:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never seen the horizon signal. Do you have to do something to trigger it?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've never seen the horizon signal. Do you have to do something to trigger it?

It has a very small chance to trigger whenever you send a science ship to an unexplored black hole system, I believe.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Slashrat posted:

That event is a bit of free DLC in itself (The Horizon Signal), so it's no surprise extra effort was put into it.

Alexis Kennedy is busy on a new game right now, but in a recent dev stream, Paradox explicitly said that further collaboration is a possibility if the stars align!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bloody Pom posted:

It has a very small chance to trigger whenever you send a science ship to an unexplored black hole system, I believe.

I don't think it has to have been unexplored. It's just a slight chance to trigger whenever the a science ship enters a black hole system, and it is not the last black hole system that the ship visited (this latter part was patched in to fix an exploit of repeatedly jumping a science ship in and out of a black hole to trigger the event).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slashrat posted:

I don't think it has to have been unexplored. It's just a slight chance to trigger whenever the a science ship enters a black hole system, and it is not the last black hole system that the ship visited (this latter part was patched in to fix an exploit of repeatedly jumping a science ship in and out of a black hole to trigger the event).

Now you just have to warp back and forth between the two closest ones to activate it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anticheese posted:

Alexis Kennedy is busy on a new game right now, but in a recent dev stream, Paradox explicitly said that further collaboration is a possibility if the stars align!

Well this isn't ominous. :cthulhu:

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Captain Monkey posted:

Now you just have to warp back and forth between the two closest ones to activate it.

I'm pretty sure they patched this out and doubled the first entry trigger chance.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
are we there yet

this feels like it's taking foreverrrrr

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thanks thread for reminding me of Alexis Kennedy's Cultist Simulator.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks thread for reminding me of Alexis Kennedy's Cultist Simulator.

I’m not sure if he can top Chris Roberts’s tbh

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 13, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m not sure if she can top Chris Roberts’s tbh

That's no simulation sadly...
Also Alexis Kennedy is a very lovely boy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tell Siri that.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

A science ship warping into any black hole system has exactly a 1% chance of starting the horizon signal events (literally what the code says). And they didn't patch out the warp in/our of black hole thing, unless they patched it last week or something. So you're able to trigger it kind easy if you want.

Gastalt consciousness empires can't trigger it, though.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Doing another playthrough, apparently I can get to 2240 without building a single combat ship or military base. Strange game :crossarms: Previous games I was putting fortresses at every hyperlane entrance into my empire and closing the borders.

Was talking with a buddy of mine, we were spitballing an espionage/diplomacy patch. Basically, we wanted to be able to see enemy ships/fleets before declaring war, so we could build fleets in response.

quote:

Sensors can determine ship composition (weapons, armor, shields et al), and a list is maintained of researched ships. The list has how old the data is (one month, one year, ten years etc), and is automatically updated when a ship is put in the same system as your ship, in the radius of planetary sensors, or covered under an active sensor link.

Ships can come with an ECM module that prevents the modules being recorded by these sensors, or can come with a stealth module that prevents them being on the map unless being observed by a friendly ship or planet.

A new Leader type, Spy, who can infiltrate other species. Get active sensor links for a period of time, steal techs, copy star maps, sabotage facilities / ships / worlds, get updates on enemy fleet composition, bribe enemy fleets / worlds, poison populace, peek at current research, or defend against enemy spies who do the same.

A larger role for generals - special operations / commando style. Have them be able to identify factions of other societies, give them resources, start new factions friendly to you, rig elections in your favor, assassinate enemy leaders, encourage revolts / independence movements / militant purifiers, or do false flag operations to give casus belli to other nations against third parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
How do you play as a devouring swarm? This is my second attempt, the first was just to throw ships at enemies and hope to research the salvage. That failed. This time I grew my empire and built up a fleet while trying to research, but before I could hit battleships, I had two wars declared on me by a federation and an empire with defensive pacts. I know everything is changing next week, but still.

• Locked thread