Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Charles Stross chat:
Writing all that Collapsing empire stuff up made me remember people also bitching how one of Stross's Laundry series books switched the main character to Bob's wife Mo, and the tonal change/massive shakeup in Laundry series that ensued from the main character switch. Stross pulled a Spy Sinker, didn't he?
Which is so on point, given what the Laundry series is based on....Len Deighton coldwar spy stories.

I think my main complaint towards the change from Bob to Mo was the lack of change.
Because it was basically Bob v2, only this time as a female, who acted like Bob v1.
Stross is not really good at writing females, or well, making them different than males.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cardiac posted:

I think my main complaint towards the change from Bob to Mo was the lack of change.
Because it was basically Bob v2, only this time as a female, who acted like Bob v1.
Stross is not really good at writing females, or well, making them different than males.

:females:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

who cares

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I just really like that emoji

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

It's funny

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kestral posted:

I'd be very interested in that pronunciation guide, if you feel like publishing it somewhere. How is "Baru" supposed to be pronounced, anyway?

"SHA-shoe", weirdly enough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kestral posted:

I'd be very interested in that pronunciation guide, if you feel like publishing it somewhere. How is "Baru" supposed to be pronounced, anyway?

Two things you never knew about General Battuta:

His favourite movie is The Jungle Book.

He has a speech impediment.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kestral posted:

How is "Baru" supposed to be pronounced, anyway?

with a B

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
eagerly awaiting The Monster Bar Trek Discovery Cormorant

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Jedit posted:

Two things you never knew about General Battuta:

His favourite movie is The Jungle Book.

He has a speech impediment.

Musical adaptation of Baru Cormorant with I Wanna Be Like You remixed to be about the Masquerade. Someone get on this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The Monster Dou Chee Cormorant

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Barry

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The Monster Dou Chee Cormorant
I will cut you. Oh my god that pronunciation is traumatizing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kestral posted:

Musical adaptation of Baru Cormorant with I Wanna Be Like You remixed to be about the Masquerade. Someone get on this.

Well, I'm the queen of the traitors
The Masquerade VIP
If you're into tribadism
You'll soon be RIP

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

Well, I'm the queen of the traitors
The Masquerade VIP
If you're into tribadism
You'll soon be RIP

:perfect:

I take it that's sung to the music of Heat Miser?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Proteus Jones posted:

:perfect:

I take it that's sung to the music of Heat Miser?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JDzlhW3XTM

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Even better.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/sf-fantasy-angry-robot-books

Pretty good Humble Bundle.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any standouts? I'm not familiar with any of the authors, amazingly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

Gustianis is outstandingly lovely. Think of the most bland, boring UF you can imagine; chances are it's still more fun to read.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dug the series, but I'll fully admit that uf cop stories are my jam.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Slights is a psychological/weird fiction story written from the perspective of a sociopath in a Grand Guignol sort of style, without resort to excessive gore or even systematic violence, but it still manages to be oppressive as hell.

I also enjoyed An Accident of Stars as a more female-centric epic fantasy story.

The Buried Life, Blades of the Old Empire, The United States of Japan, and the Lives of Tao are all on my list to read.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Anyone else read Nick Harkaway's latest, Gnomon? I thought he overextended himself at times, but overall I found it a remarkably intense read, and his best work since The Gone-Away World by far.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

i really liked jay posey's outriders and the non wh40k dan abnett is a decent story about future embedded journalists.

both worth reading

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh i thought that was a book bundle themed around "angry robots" and now I'm sad that doesn't exist

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Kesper North posted:

Anyone else read Nick Harkaway's latest, Gnomon? I thought he overextended himself at times, but overall I found it a remarkably intense read, and his best work since The Gone-Away World by far.

I did! And was actually about to ask if anyone else had. I really enjoyed it, but felt like it maybe could have been pared down a little. It took me a bit to get into it. I appreciated trying to piece it all together from the stories, it tickled that pattern matching part of my brain.

I was still kinda debating to myself what actually happened to Neith in the end.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kesper North posted:

for a moment i confused The Half-Made World with The Gone-Away World and got real excited :(

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

for a moment i confused The Half-Made World with The Gone-Away World and got real excited :(

Felix Gilman's website registration has lapsed (or he's sold the content) and is now a spam ad for nootropic drugs

I think it's safe to say another book from him is not expected but would be a happy surprise.

Although I didn't much like the celestial spheres and the second half made world novel was far less satisfying than the first.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
:psyboom:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/feb/15/iain-m-bankss-drawings-of-the-culture-universe-to-be-published-in-2019?CMP=share_btn_link

quote:

A final glimpse into the galaxy-spanning imagination of the late Iain M Banks is on the way in a collection of previously unseen drawings, maps and sketches from the Culture universe, many of which date from before Banks began writing the acclaimed science fiction series.

Due to be published in 2019 by Orbit, the collection of Culture drawings, some annotated by the author, will be brought together by Banks’s estate and his friend and fellow science fiction author Ken MacLeod. Along with commentary from MacLeod, the book will contain Banks’s own notes on the Culture, its history, language, technology, philosophy and values.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

The Economist had an Elon Musk article last week that used Culture ship names for all the photo captions and subheads.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Musk did descdibe the idea of the Neural Lace to the popular media using that name. I assume Peter Thiel and he used to get in shouting matches about whether the welfare state utopia of the culture or the libertarian utopia of Wright's Golden Age was more compelling

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You should stay real excited because Harkaway's Gone-Away World is real good and it's good to hear he's got another book out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man I picked the wrong week to start reading the Civil War prose novel I bought.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Syzygy Stardust posted:

The Economist had an Elon Musk article last week that used Culture ship names for all the photo captions and subheads.

I saw an article talking about whether or not Musk launching a car into space was art. They unironically said it was lacking gravitas which gave me a good laugh.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Man I picked the wrong week to start reading the Civil War prose novel I bought.

'Prose novel'?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

General Battuta posted:

'Prose novel'?

As opposed to graphic.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

branedotorg posted:

Felix Gilman's website registration has lapsed (or he's sold the content) and is now a spam ad for nootropic drugs

I think it's safe to say another book from him is not expected but would be a happy surprise.

Although I didn't much like the celestial spheres and the second half made world novel was far less satisfying than the first.

He posts on Twitter constantly, if you want to know if he’s going to write something new you could ask him

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I think Banks would gag at Musk and the type of capitalism that he stands for. It's less obvious with SpaceX but boy does he treat the workers at Tesla like poo poo.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rough Lobster posted:

You should stay real excited because Harkaway's Gone-Away World is real good and it's good to hear he's got another book out.

I like it less but A) it's still good and B) a lot of other people seem to love it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

shrike82 posted:

I think Banks would gag at Musk and the type of capitalism that he stands for. It's less obvious with SpaceX but boy does he treat the workers at Tesla like poo poo.

Banks would be meh with Musk, Ken MacLeod is the guy genetically adverse to Musk and the type of capitalism that Musk stands for.
Which is why Ken MacLeod being the editor of the Iain M. Banks papers collection coming out in 2019 should be very interesting.