Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tsaedje posted:

Getting proper consent for sex with someone you have in your custody is arguably impossible, even if the law says that it's not illegal to have sex with them.

Yes, obviously that is true, I'm just wondering what the map is saying, exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Orange Devil posted:

Yes, obviously that is true, I'm just wondering what the map is saying, exactly.

The map indicates which states have laws against it and which ones don't. That is all.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

The map indicates which states have laws against it and which ones don't. That is all.

That's a lot more sensible than what is implied by the way the map caption is written.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

sweek0 posted:

Countries that have gained independence from the UK.

A problem with these kinds of maps is they're almost always anachronistic. The "United States" in its current form did not gain independence from the "United Kingdom" in "1776"; the area claimed by the thirteen colonies, which went only as far west as the Mississippi and as far south as Florida, achieved independence in 1781 and had that recognized in 1783 by the Kingdom of Great Britain, which didn't become the United Kingdom until 1801.

Furthermore, oh, Canada achieved independence from the UK in 1931? Sure, I'll buy that - but Newfoundland wasn't part of Canada yet, so it should have a different date.

I mean, I get that they're saying "These present-day countries are the current versions of countries that became independent from the UK" but it's messy. South Sudan was part of a region that became independent from the UK in 1956 just like Sudan did. Same with Singapore - it was part of the country that became independent in 1957, but is not marked because it later was kicked out of Malaysia.

Also, wait: PNG became independent from Australia, not the UK, right? Also, they really missed with the arrow for Malta, at first I thought they were saying Monaco was British.

I'm not sure I'd call it a shameful map, but I don't like it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Wili posted:

Anime game Fate/Grand Order features a selection of heroes from history and myths around the world. Here is where they are from:

Serbia and Montenegro still a single country, Macedonia in another color but Albania the same as the rest of the ex-Yugos, nice. Is the dude marked with (D) the anime version of the remove kebab guy?

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Serbia and Montenegro still a single country, Macedonia in another color but Albania the same as the rest of the ex-Yugos, nice. Is the dude marked with (D) the anime version of the remove kebab guy?

Dude marked D is Nicola Tesla.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

GyroNinja posted:

Dude marked D is Nicola Tesla.

I had to google this because I thought you were joking. Turns out you weren’t.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That anime map is more about "general areas of the world" than about countries. E.g., Iran+Afghanistan+one half of Pakistan makes up one area; the other half of Pakistan is in another area along with the northern third of India, Nepal, Bhutan, and Bangladesh.

I'll be honest though: I don't recognize any one of these anime people. And I have no idea why some have a x2 or x3 on them. Like, is the red-haired guy from Greece+Macedonia+bits of Turkey supposed to be, I dunno, let's say Jason (of the Argonauts fame) and his clone? Which East Coast American legend is supposed to be smothered in bow-ties?

What's interesting is which areas of the world are completely lacking representation in that thing. If that game is representative of the representation of these cultures in Japanese pop culture (kind of a clumsy sentence) then it reveals that the Japanese are much more familiar with, say, Britain's myths and folklore than, say, Thailand's. It could be interesting to make deformed maps of the world based on cultural rather than geographical proximity relative to one country's pop culture.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

I had to google this because I thought you were joking. Turns out you weren’t.

Man, just wait until you figure out which one is supposed to be Thomas Edison.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's just three or so characters repeated to fill the map.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Wili posted:

Anime game Fate/Grand Order features a selection of heroes from history and myths around the world. Here is where they are from:

What the gently caress do they have against the Southern Hemisphere?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They don't know enough about those countries to even stereotype.

Which really makes me curious about the Low Countries...my random guess is, the anime chick is Mata Hari, but I have no idea who the tsundere blonde guy could be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

GyroNinja posted:

Man, just wait until you figure out which one is supposed to be Thomas Edison.
Is it the one on the Eastern Seaboard not covered in bowties?

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Is it the one on the Eastern Seaboard not covered in bowties?

No, and actually she's not a character I recognize. (Checking the game wiki reveals that she's actually Abigail Williams, one of the accusers at the Salem witch trials).

:edit: Oh, you said NOT covered in bowties, that's Billy the Kid.

Thomas Edison is actually the lion faced guy in the Great Lakes region, but just seeing his face doesn't do justice to how gloriously insane his design is:

GyroNinja fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 12, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Negrostrike posted:

What the gently caress do they have against the Southern Hemisphere?

They weren't imperialist enough to export their culture all over the world.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Phlegmish posted:

They don't know enough about those countries to even stereotype.

Which really makes me curious about the Low Countries...my random guess is, the anime chick is Mata Hari, but I have no idea who the tsundere blonde guy could be.

That's Siegfried, from the Song of the Nibelungs

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Phlegmish posted:

Which really makes me curious about the Low Countries...my random guess is, the anime chick is Mata Hari
It's obviously Anne Frank.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's obviously Anne Frank.

Nah, it’s Neelie Kroes

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phlegmish posted:

but I have no idea who the tsundere blonde guy could be.

Zwarte Piet.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Macedonia is probably in the greece color because Alexander the Great

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

reignonyourparade posted:

Macedonia is probably in the greece color because Alexander the Great

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/MacedoniansNotBulgarians.html

The roots of the Macedonians are in ancient Macedonia in Europe since 8th century BC, while the roots of the Bulgarians are in the Turko-Morgilic Bulgars who came into Europe from Asia in the 7th century AD. While the Bulgars are intruders in the Balkans, the Macedonians had preserved their name through the centuries and evidence shows that they have always associated themselves with the ancient Macedonians.

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/MacedoniansNotGreeks.html

Why Macedonia and the Macedonians had Never been Greek?

1. The ancient Macedonians were a distinct nation, separate from their neighbors, the ancient Greeks... Archeological discoveries confirm that the material culture of the Macedonians also defer greatly from all of their neighbors, and it is by far more superior in artistry (gold, paintings, weapons, mosaics) then anything found in contemporary Greece... The Greeks in the Macedonian army, however, were commanded by Macedonians, their contribution in the conquest was insignificant and miniscule, and modern historiography calls them nothing but Macedonian "hostages"...

The Greeks and the Macedonians greatly defer in physical appearance. The Greeks have typically darker tan then the Macedonians who are fair skinned. Historian Arthur Waigell have stated that the same difference in complexion existed between the ancient Greeks and Macedonians. The ancient Greek historian Plutarch wrote that Alexander the Great had a fair complexion, criticizing a certain ancient Greek sculptor who had given him a darker tan.

Needs its own colour imo, must be whiter than greece

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 13, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Codswallop.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Macedonians are Bulgarians, but I can't blame them for trolling Greece. It's so easy to do. Imagine completely losing your poo poo over what another country calls itself. It's like if Germany got mad at France for naming itself after a Germanic tribe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Deutsche people are okay with being called Germans while Nederlanders get called Dutch, they're long past caring what France calls itself.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Phlegmish posted:

Macedonians are Bulgarians

eh, it's more complicated than that but they aren't the rightful heirs of Alexander the Great or whatever

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

Macedonians are Bulgarians, but I can't blame them for trolling Greece. It's so easy to do. Imagine completely losing your poo poo over what another country calls itself. It's like if Germany got mad at France for naming itself after a Germanic tribe.

If I've understood them right, Greeks* are sensitive to this because they feel they've been treated as half-Turkish degenerates squatting in the ruins of a once great civilization, and that the rest of the world is conspiring to steal their history from them. Compare that to how Scandinavians like me were always considered to be inheritors of a glorious viking past, which probably makes it easier for us to take seeing that notion (rightly) challenged today.

No to mention that the worse off a country actually is, the greater the Nationalist fervour in certain parts of the population. :patriot:

*notallgreeks of course

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Wonder if there's a huge price differential between islands representing more and less desirable locations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Greeks collectively lose their minds when you start talking about FYROM. It's the one topic that I've basically accepted you can't talk about without triggering some deep-seated, reptilian response, even in intelligent people. People will with all sincerity tell you that today they want to claim the name and tomorrow they'll be rolling into Thessaloniki and seizing northern Greece, Crimea-style.

I attended the huge rally in Athens a couple of weekends ago against Greece officially recognizing the use of some form of Macedonia in FYROM's name and it was really weird, like some kind of national independence day celebration only with lots of Neo-Nazis angrily yelling about how Macedonia has always been Greece and FYROM isn't a real country.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Grevling posted:

Compare that to how Scandinavians like me were always considered to be inheritors of a glorious viking past, which probably makes it easier for us to take seeing that notion (rightly) challenged today.
?? How are modern Scandinavians not inheritors of that past? Aside from a tiny bit of Denmark, no part of Scandinavia has been conquered by non-Scandinavians since the viking age.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

?? How are modern Scandinavians not inheritors of that past? Aside from a tiny bit of Denmark, no part of Scandinavia has been conquered by non-Scandinavians since the viking age.

What was World War 2?

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We're completely different from them in almost every single way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SaltyJesus posted:

eh, it's more complicated than that but they aren't the rightful heirs of Alexander the Great or whatever

Basically everyone from the Balkans to Afghanistan is the heirs of Alexander if you think about it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grevling posted:

Lol if you don't nip down to the British isles to burn, pillage, and cleave some Vestmenn in twain every now and then.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Freudian posted:

What was World War 2?
Occupied, not conquered.

Grevling posted:

Everyone is different from their ancestors. Unless your point is that no one can be seen as inheritors of any history.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Everyone is different from their ancestors. Unless your point is that no one can be seen as inheritors of any history.

My point is that considering how little modern day Scandinavians' values, religion, to some extent even genetics have in common with the Vikings compared to what we like to think, you can hardly say we've inherited anything. Only very few things in our cultures can be traced back to the medieval period, and for the most part where you do see a connection to this past is where people in the National-Romantic period decided to save or create it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Grevling posted:

My point is that considering how little modern day Scandinavians' values, religion, to some extent even genetics have in common with the Vikings compared to what we like to think, you can hardly say we've inherited anything. Only very few things in our cultures can be traced back to the medieval period, and for the most part where you do see a connection to this past is where people in the National-Romantic period decided to save or create it.
Okay, but this applies just as well to every other country - if not more in some cases. It'd also be hard to find countries that are more connected, which usually seems to be the thing people get mad about. Like, even if most modern Greeks get real mad about FYROM using the Macedonia name, I'm sure far fewer would get mad if you said that modern Greece has evolved into a very different thing from Alexander's Macedonia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Way back when I read the awful paradox games official forums I saw multiple french-german-dutch slapfights about Charlemagne's nationality.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Okay, but this applies just as well to every other country - if not more in some cases. It'd also be hard to find countries that are more connected, which usually seems to be the thing people get mad about. Like, even if most modern Greeks get real mad about FYROM using the Macedonia name, I'm sure far fewer would get mad if you said that modern Greece has evolved into a very different thing from Alexander's Macedonia.

Of course, all I'm saying is that I think if you're used to having your country's connection to the Glorious Past taken for granted it's easier to bear seeing it questioned than if you feel that it's always been under attack.

Or maybe it's just a matter of who controls the debate, hell if I know. There are certainly enough Scandinavians who like to think they're a longship and some spears away from plundering a monastery.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Well Scandinavia's current image among people who would care about that stuff is Fully Sharianized Muslamic Rape Gang Communism so