Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"Oof, this looks pretty rough, I'll just hold out for if there's an empires version" - A lunatic but also me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm not exactly a Dynasty Warriors aficionado like some in this thread, but I LOVED Dynasty Warriors 2 and one of the empires games (can't remember which it was). I was in the mood for some warriors action recently and purchased Fire Emblem warriors which, although I like it so far (just playing through the story), still seems to be missing that 'massive scale, wade through hundreds of mooks before defeating their leader' feeling that 2 had for me. It seems like I'm constantly just an assassin running past soldiers and gunning down captains and leaders left and right. In fact, the game actively seems to punish me for sticking around and brutalizing regular soldiers for fun because there is always some timed thing ('run to the other side of the map before they call for reinforcements! go save the monk! go buy something from the store that appeared nowhere near the front lines!'). Almost every plain soldier I kill is just accidental while fighting the named guys.

Do any of the warriors games on the PC have that Dynasty Warriors 2 sort of feel, or are they all 'ignore everything and assassinate the leaders'? Based on that video from Sterling, DW9 seems to consist entirely of constant travel punctuated by killing leaders and ignoring soldiers (even ignoring walls and forts). The game would preferably be on the PC (or the Switch, possibly with Hyrule Warriors).

I’ve only put real time into Fire Emblem, Hyrule, and Pirate Warriors 3 and I think that Pirate Warriors 3 might be what you are after. I didn’t like it as much because the missions weren’t as hectic as fire emblem or hyrule but that means you have more time to mow down dudes. As a bonus, the combat is better than the other musou I’ve played, and on ps4 there’s a ton more dudes on screen. Not sure about the pc version.

Pirate Warriors 3 is often on sale for around 15$ so don’t pay full price for it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is DW9 just bad as a game or is it graphics/bugs that are the issue?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Why is it so brown

Quake 2 was less brown

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Supposedly there is a Chinese dub available in the PC version if this post is to be believed.

quote:

How to get the Chinese dubs
Go to SteamApps\common\Dynasty Warriors 9\data\cmn_dx11\voice\cn

and copy every file into either of the other language folders and then pick that language in game. Works for me like that.

So they download the Chinese files onto your system, but just lock you away from them for reasons.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm going to guess it's an oversight.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going with on-disc DLC, $9.99 order now

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Licensing issue might also be a problem.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
How's the pop-in on PC?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Oh hey he used Cao Cao to showcase hunting and picking up herbs. Imagine four Caos on a cliff, shooting at a tiger. That's what a bad DW game looks like.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Tae posted:

Licensing issue might also be a problem.

Sincere question: how did licensing relate to language dubbing?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Morter posted:

Voice actor contracts.

Same thing for why share is disabled on a lot of KT games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morter posted:

Though it's less common these days a lot of voice acting contracts actually specify different things for digital distribution or overseas distribution. It's a problem with, for example, getting Japanese voice acting tracks in some games. It's gotten less common because obviously studios have started taking that into account but it's still something that comes up from time to time.

It's way more common for it to come up with music though. Music rights are a huuuuuge clusterfuck when it comes to games.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Songbearer posted:

Why is it so brown

Quake 2 was less brown

I am still trying to figure out why I find the graphics repulsive in this iteration even though the series never had a particular artstyle or looked good.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

PureRok posted:

Supposedly there is a Chinese dub available in the PC version if this post is to be believed.

So they download the Chinese files onto your system, but just lock you away from them for reasons.

Tried changing the CN folder to EN and running it that way. It works... kind of. One female shopkeeper had a man's voice, and some moves still use the English VO. That's weird, since I didn't actually move any files; that means the Chinese language files have English language files mixed in.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if it ever gets patched/added in.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

"Oof, this looks pretty rough, I'll just hold out for if there's an empires version" - A lunatic but also me

Hey hi, this is me too. But also the fact that in an 9: Empires game you can theoretically manage your fronts real-time and figure out troop placement and how many resources to send into a fight. In a satellite view those fights just become calculations and since it's a big world, it would be extremely difficulty to micro manage the individual battles by participating in them. At least, that's the route I hope they go in. Open world has potential but I don't think it's for a mainline game. I wouldn't mind them making some of the maps bigger and opening them up to allow a ton more ways to approach a fight but in order to make a true open world Dynasty Warriors game to work they had to have perfect world design and this just looks like a low-saturated ugly mess.

On the bright side, I never played Dynasty Warriors 8 and all this talk has given me an itch for the series again. I think I may pick up the complete edition for 30 bux.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Songbearer posted:

Why is it so brown

Quake 2 was less brown

I feel like this isn't the first time the Yellow Turban campaign stuff was a brown-ish area though. I dunno, it looks fine.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still trying to figure out why I find the graphics repulsive in this iteration even though the series never had a particular artstyle or looked good.

Doesn't help that it does those orbital beauty shots when you climb up a tower.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Deakul posted:

Doesn't help that it does those orbital beauty shots when you climb up a tower.

Check out this wide, flat, mostly empty terrain we lovingly copy pasted

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

dreffen posted:

I feel like this isn't the first time the Yellow Turban campaign stuff was a brown-ish area though. I dunno, it looks fine.

It's not. DW3, DW4(Yellow Turban Rebellion, not Menace or Fortess), DW5 and DW8 were also so.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

So I heard this is bad

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my god....this is shameful.

Even my i5 4760K and GTX 1060 can't get rock solid 1080p/60 on LOWEST settings, looking like this:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
It's certainly got teething problems. Everyone should be able to agree about that. Whether those ruin the whole game for you, which is the key question, is something that can be debated.

Regarding terrain...there actually are some unique landmarks, which are better rendered than many typical Dynasty Warriors stages, but the game as a whole definitely doesn't look beautiful enough to justify the performance issues in terms of graphics. I can only conclude it's due to the use of expensive lighting effects without fully optimizing their underlying engine and still having some other technical bugs left. I hope some of these things are fixed with patches, but I guess certain limitations might be hard to overcome.

As a side note...it's funny that Sterling apparently played the game on normal, which does seem to have notorious braindead AI behavior problems at the moment that are far less present in the higher difficulty settings. Not that this should even be the case to begin with, to be quite honest, and that is also something they can address with patches in the near future...but it's interesting to note how such things can color the player's experience.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A KT game has a bad PC port? :wow:

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

big nipples big life posted:

This implies the game would have superior performance on consoles than PC...which doesn't necessarily appear to be the case. I think the root of the performance issues isn't something limited to any particular version.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Even my i5 4760K and GTX 1060 can't get rock solid 1080p/60 on LOWEST settings, looking like this:

Holy poo poo, look at those Quake-era texture resolutions on Xiahou Yuan's garb.

Honestly the backlash thus far has put me right off buying DW9; I was even going to buy it today but then I saw Sterling's vid and all the other negative opinions on the game. Normally I'd just say "aw gently caress y'all" and buy it anyway but wow. This is some harsh poo poo being thrown at the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Even my i5 4670K and GTX 1060 can't get rock solid 1080p/60 on LOWEST settings, looking like this:

I also want to point out that my GPU is the same as the one in the recommended system requirements and CPU is slightly better than recommended.

Other than Spirits of Sanada most other KT games on steam run fine.
Samurai/Dynasty 8/Pirate/Berserk Warriors all are totally fine. Toukiden 2 and Nioh were even pretty good ports.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Toukiden 2 is good, aren't DW8 and DW8 Empires the PS3 versions?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Toukiden 2 is good, aren't DW8 and DW8 Empires the PS3 versions?

They are, which sucks, but at least they run well.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Holy poo poo, look at those Quake-era texture resolutions on Xiahou Yuan's garb.

Honestly the backlash thus far has put me right off buying DW9; I was even going to buy it today but then I saw Sterling's vid and all the other negative opinions on the game. Normally I'd just say "aw gently caress y'all" and buy it anyway but wow. This is some harsh poo poo being thrown at the game.

Watching Sterling has its benefits but he isn't the alpha and the omega of game reviews or impressions. There are a number of positive reviews too, some more reasonable than others (to be clear, anyone calling it a "masterpiece" is certifiably insane).

Silly title aside, this dude has a pretty decent overview and explains why the game works for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnAwU23aEfs

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Morter posted:

Check out FFX, where while the game DID come with a Japanese voice option, it would not allow you to put English subtitles if you used it. Cause of something in the contract. You CAN use our glorious nippon language, but you're not allowed to put filthy gaijin text on the bottom of the screen while its happening.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have no idea on the costs of chinese VA unions, but japanese VA's are sometimes so prohibitively expensive that they'd be paying as much as the localization itself (happens a lot when the VA also sings, which brings in the Music industry which are even more draconian).

There's also contracts that just say "don't use this outside of Japan" because gently caress You.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Tae posted:

There's also contracts that just say "don't use this outside of Japan" because gently caress You.

Which is a completely bizarre thing to do. I can only guess it's probably more likely that in most cases the voice acting contracts demand additional negotiations and higher payments for that, rather than outright banning the release.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

I have no idea on the costs of chinese VA unions,

Apparently the Chinese VAs are basically amateurs KOEI was able to get to work for them. I'm sure professional Chinese VAs in a Japanese production would be difficult to get due to politics more than anything.

wielder posted:

Which is a completely bizarre thing to do. I can only guess it's probably more likely that in most cases the voice acting contracts demand additional negotiations and higher payments for that, rather than outright banning the release.

Nationalism is pretty strong in Japan to be fair. There's actually a fair number of VAs who simply don't think "gaijin" would want their voices.

EDIT: \/ yeah, that's very true. We just don't see too much from the Chinese voice acting industry.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 13, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres plenty of japanese-chinese coproductions

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
After having put 7 hours into it and finishing the first two story missions (yellow turbans, hu lao gate), I have to say I like it.

I mean, my framerate runs between 25-35 most of the time (thankfully at the upper range of that more often than not). The game is indeed very brown. Or, I guess, it's more like it's just not very colorful. Yea, the port is not that great, from an optimization standpoint, but the gameplay is pretty fun.

It feels more Empires than mainline, though. I think it's because of all of the capturing of little bases connected by dots on the map. There's just no strategic control like in Empires.

I like it more than not, I'd have to say. Of course, I liked DW6 and didn't have any issues with it so I may be insane.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm enjoying it as well.

I am VERY curious to see how they do 9 Empires. The open map feels extremely suited towards it.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I am VERY curious to see how they do 9 Empires. The open map feels extremely suited towards it.

I hope we do get DW 9 Empires after all. It would be a huge shame if that doesn't happen, since the open world would benefit the most from the added customization, mild RPG elements and light strategy options provided.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm not hating it. The jank is almost charming. The different-ness is very intriguing

That said, I've only just started, and I'm free-roaming enough to run into various dynamic (???) encounters. My question is: Is there a way to change characters that I haven't discovered yet? Or do I have to wait for a tutorial first? It says I have 5 playable characters, but I don't know how to access them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you have to start a new campaign as them