Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

We can all piss and moan about TAZ forever but I'm listening to today's MBMBaM and it's hot fire like always, y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Balance worked because they played d&d and took turns telling jokes, and it evolved into a great story.

Griffin seems super intent on just telling a great story, and it doesn't feel earned.

I'm hoping he signed up for a mini arc to get his lovely sophomore work out of his system so the next arc can be great again.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

kidcoelacanth posted:

We can all piss and moan about TAZ forever but I'm listening to today's MBMBaM and it's hot fire like always, y'all

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

She loses all her clothes when she transforms, and I see everything, I've seen it all

Didn’t realize Patrick Stewart wrote Dresden Files.

I think Justin put it best in one of the earlier The The Adventure Zone Zone episodes, where he said TAZ was like a car they were tinkering on while driving and it started flying. Amnesty felt like they bought a new car and gunned it full speed toward the nearest cliff.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Ainsley McTree posted:

It could just be that it's because D&D is the only tabletop game I'm actually familiar with but yeah I'm not fully in love with PbtA just yet either. I know they explicitly said "I know we might lose some fans by moving away from D&D but, well, we're doing it, so deal with it" so I'm dealing with it, but still

I read two books in the Dresden Files series, and I liked the first alright, but I truly did not like the second at all. I'm told by someone that that's objectively the worst one, so it's worth getting past, but I haven't mustered the effort to try because I have too many other books in my backlog right now.

It's werewolf-focused, which is a point against it already for me, because werewolves are just the boringest things in my opinion, but it was also particularly unpleasant because it had a few too many goony descriptions of how smokin' hot the lady werewolf was, and how she was totally into me, the goony self-insert goonwizard. She loses all her clothes when she transforms, and I see everything, I've seen it all

If someone told you to read Dresden and didn’t also tell you to skip book two they’re doing it wrong.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hell, you can arguably skip the first one too since 3 fills you in on all the important bits and is actually where the overarching plot kicks off anyway

Dresden is p. much the platonic form of a guilty pleasure but woof, that early prose is rough.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
I get the feeling that they subconsciously took Taako's quote about "it's not all goof goof dildos all the time" and just took off, setting the goofs aside in favor of Griffin talking all the time serious storylines

'member when TAZ was about THB walking through a jizz cave talking smack at anything and anyone? I 'member :gbsmith:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have a cousin from Bali that calls "SpongeBob SquarePants" "Spengbab Scarpon" so this episode title is already killing me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I guess I just feel a total disconnect from most of these complaints because it just doesn't bother me at all

I get something changing in a way that makes you not enjoy it any more but I also don't get why you'd continue to listen to the thing you're not enjoying

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I guess I just feel a total disconnect from most of these complaints because it just doesn't bother me at all

I get something changing in a way that makes you not enjoy it any more but I also don't get why you'd continue to listen to the thing you're not enjoying

Comments like this are weird to me, because you don’t go from loving a thing to just instantly hating it because you don’t like how it’s changed over time. Someone even posted that ‘why are people complaining about this, it’s been like this over a year!!’ But when I started listening to TAZ, Balance was almost over and I basically binged the entire thing. And Stolen Century did outstay its welcome IMO but the narrative emphasis at its culmination felt a lot more earned.

Not to mention it’s explicitly in an experimental phase—Amnesty was what, five episodes? Maybe I’ll stop listening depending on how the true season 2 plays out, but we’re not there yet at all. Most of the people who are posting that they don’t like the story-dominant direction for TAZ, including myself, are usually also commenting that they still like a lot of it.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Turned off during the closing monologue. It just kept going.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I still enjoy TAZ but I certainly agree that griffin is going nuts with the exposition and it's taking away from my enjoyment of the show. It's been happening for a fair while now and I think it's just then changing style organically into one I'm not a fan of. Hopefully they get back into a more balanced (lol) style in the future.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
People that don't listen to mbmbam: There are likely live shows in the pipeline since Justin and Sydnee are expecting their baby this week

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

If they choose Amnesty to be their next big arc I’m out, unfortunately. It’s double sad because Duck Newton is an amazing character and I’d love to see what Justin would get into in a system with more freedom. I can only echo what others have said - they’ve consciously moved on from the early goofs toward a more grand narrative style and it’s just not for me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Pastrymancy posted:

People that don't listen to mbmbam: There are likely live shows in the pipeline since Justin and Sydnee are expecting their baby this week

I still remember when Clint accidentally spilled the beans on Twitter before Justin or Sydnee were ready to announce anything. I still don't remember hearing anything about it from Justin until this week.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I liked Amnesty. I would have liked it more if it had let more of the system shine through though.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

SpacePig posted:

I still remember when Clint accidentally spilled the beans on Twitter before Justin or Sydnee were ready to announce anything. I still don't remember hearing anything about it from Justin until this week.

They talk about it more on sawbones than other pods

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I can't believe it took them this long to do an "enter my brother" joke, I've been waiting so long.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

caligulamprey posted:

I can't believe it took them this long to do an "enter my brother" joke, I've been waiting so long.

They usually seem to be pretty careful to make sure they say "enter the coupon code mybrother" rather than just saying "enter my brother". This might be the first time they slipped up, or maybe just the first they've done it while Justin was paying attention.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They are careful not to put the wrong emphasis, but I always get a kick out of it when they say "slash my brother" or "slash adventure" while advertising razors.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Still buffering Facebook group had a poster add a content warning on a post about tardigrades. When the OP assumed it was a joke, he was admonished to review the code if conduct. Silly teens.

I mean w/e, but I just can't imagine what trauma would lead someone to have anxiety about water bears.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Still buffering Facebook group had a poster add a content warning on a post about tardigrades. When the OP assumed it was a joke, he was admonished to review the code if conduct. Silly teens.

I mean w/e, but I just can't imagine what trauma would lead someone to have anxiety about water bears.

Oh, was that his intention? I've been wracking my brain and all I could come up with is the first part of the word is tard but that felt too stupid to be it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Well he didn't put the CW tag at first, he was asked to do so by a mod. Yeah Tard is the only thing I can think of. Unless the person requesting the CW was thrown into a pit of them when they were a child.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I mean I guess they look kinda weird, but come on.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This thread sucks enough as is, can we at least not drag in whatever people are doing on the Facebook groups please

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s from a few weeks back but I just want to talk about the wrongass opinions about fries Griffin espoused on Wonderful. Fries not good as a chip replacement in nachos? Ketchup in the cheese sauce? Get the gently caress outta here Griff. Rachel is definitely the French Fry Kid, she don’t discriminate.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Yet a post on the same subject the next day was fine. Apparently that one didn't trigger anyone.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The mbmbam this week was extremely good, very unfortunate to know that the show has had a pro life agenda this whole time

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MBMBaM is always a light in the darkness. I gotta say though, I wasn’t too into the title bit. I’m surprised they didn’t go with I’ll Dance at Your Wedding for the name. That was great! Good moneyzone this week too, don’t skip that.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/963586752068947972

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hooray!

Cooper is a cool name (named after both Dale and Betty apparently) but would feel way way more natural for a boy imo

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

The weed number!

Escobarbarian posted:

Hooray!

Cooper is a cool name (named after both Dale and Betty apparently) but would feel way way more natural for a boy imo

Just continuing the trend of Sydnee and Charlie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awwww, congratulations to them!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

what's up, you cool baby.

Glad it went well, they kinda danced around (unless I missed it?) saying they had issues with Charlie's birth a few times

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

There's a whole Sawbones about Charlie's birth with some details, actually. Phone posting or I'd find it, but it's a good listen.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

There's a whole Sawbones about Charlie's birth with some details, actually. Phone posting or I'd find it, but it's a good listen.

https://twitter.com/sawbones/status/507186258054246400?lang=en

http://www.maximumfun.org/sawbones/sawbones-our-birth-story

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Huh, somehow missed that, cool beans!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Coop, daughter of Hoop. Praise be.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009