Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pgroce posted:

that looks nothing like complicated alps

thats topre capacitative switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

The lightcycle one looks alright

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i really want a 96-key keyboard, if only with instead of home or end, and standard lower left corner layout

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 13, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thing is these shits are massively expensive, its like $300-$600 for a decent one and even then you might have to wait, weeks, realistically months, for group buys to go down and poo poo, and probably even assemble it yourself (im a babby who has barely ever soldered electronics)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

well ideally a bit different layout with vertical homegroup between enter and numpad, lemme look it up

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thing is these shits are massively expensive, its like $300-$600 for a decent one and even then you might have to wait, weeks, realistically months, for group buys to go down and poo poo, and probably even assemble it yourself (im a babby who has barely ever soldered electronics)

if it’s anything like the ergodox infinity the soldering is very easy, that one is all through-hole, even the tiny fiddly LEDs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if it’s anything like the ergodox infinity the soldering is very easy, that one is all through-hole, even the tiny fiddly LEDs

i just have grace of an elephant and <5 minutes of soldering experience in my life

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

looks like it might be fast though to solder it and get used to 96-key as pictured above than to find whatever layout i think i am remembering

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i just have grace of an elephant and <5 minutes of soldering experience in my life

same, and then I soldered a keeb

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

same, and then I soldered a keeb

might do it after i move i guess so i dont have to fly to latvia for a year-late keycap shipment or whatever. the idea on the layout i thought i vaguelly recalled was basically keycool 84 + numpad, but i still cant find anything evne remotely close to it so i guess standard 96 it is. not that the position of actual home block matters much, the only key i use of it, to a meaningful extent, is delete

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Stubbs posted:

imo matias quiet clicks are much better than mx brown

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
yes but are they as SMOOTH as topre?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837 you only need 1 and maybe 6

and https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL958FF32927823D12 in case you make any mistakes

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Soldering tutorials are such bullshit. I'll have my iron at like 400+C and it's literally impossible to melt rosin core without touching the iron directly to it. Like I can have desoldering braid touching a joint and leave that iron on there for an hour, and all that will happen is I'll burn my hand holding the copper.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I don't understand how people can be bad at soldering, it's like the worlds easiest thing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

r u ready to WALK posted:

I don't understand how people can be bad at soldering, it's like the worlds easiest thing

some of us just have never had to do it, and it is logical to assume that you're bad at things you've never done

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
sometimes you’re bad at things you have done.

like posting!

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Soldering tutorials are such bullshit. I'll have my iron at like 400+C and it's literally impossible to melt rosin core without touching the iron directly to it. Like I can have desoldering braid touching a joint and leave that iron on there for an hour, and all that will happen is I'll burn my hand holding the copper.

Put flux on the braid first

Also have a non-poo poo iron (maybe you do already, idk)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
we had to watch the Symbolics keyboards like hawks at Vintage Computer Festival: Pacific Northwest this weekend

fortunately having five systems running and usable meant that people sat down and actually used the keyboards rather than just ogle them

one person was taking macro pics though, and was gently reminded that there was cool stuff on the screen too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
watch the Pace soldering videos and you’ll become a pro in no time

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I can solder anything with enough beer and like 20 tries. I have a digital weller soldering station because I thought it would make it way easier than using my wood burner but gently caress no it's exactly the same difficulty.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

we had to watch the Symbolics keyboards like hawks at Vintage Computer Festival: Pacific Northwest this weekend

fortunately having five systems running and usable meant that people sat down and actually used the keyboards rather than just ogle them

one person was taking macro pics though, and was gently reminded that there was cool stuff on the screen too

in before RUBOUT

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
polite chuckle @ the thought of people fetishizing a piece of technology to the point of forgetting its part of a system

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

in before RUBOUT

were you there when we were projecting from S-Graphics on the big screen? that was cool.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

were you there when we were projecting from S-Graphics on the big screen? that was cool.

that’s from toorcamp 2016, the quaaludes guy brought his whole cluster and set up the “people’s computer history museum”

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i really want a 96-key keyboard, if only with instead of home or end, and standard lower left corner layout

the problem with a good looking keyboard is that you're a huge dummy if you use anything other than an ugly ergonomic keyboard. anybody typing 100+wpm will get injured in less than a week using a regular keyboard, it's just the nature of your anatomy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i assure you my anatomy is not natural.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

angry_keebler posted:

the problem with a good looking keyboard is that you're a huge dummy if you use anything other than an ugly ergonomic keyboard. anybody typing 100+wpm will get injured in less than a week using a regular keyboard, it's just the nature of your anatomy

its not a good looking keyboard question, it's a nice layout question. also source your quotes about grandpa speeds

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyway, not to kill the discussion, what's cool+good in the world of ergoboards? could consider one if it doesn't look too pain in the rear end for videoshames

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyway, not to kill the discussion, what's cool+good in the world of ergoboards? could consider one if it doesn't look too pain in the rear end for videoshames

Dvorak only kinesis advantage.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

sorry, this is colemak thread

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Using colemak or workman or whatever is fine, but the gap between Dvorak and qwerty is huge compared to the smaller gap between Dvorak and colemak. The most important thing is to be using a layout that anyone thought about for more than 2 minutes. The advantage of dvorak is that it has super wide compatibility which is why I recommend it over other non-qwerty-layouts. Yes, I realize that you could extend this same argument into just using qwerty in the first place.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im not sure i could ever go from qwerty, or want to do so. im not sure ive even seen a dvorak board in my life. moe of just thinking along the lines of whether if there are real advantages for getting, say, ergodox

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that’s from toorcamp 2016, the quaaludes guy brought his whole cluster and set up the “people’s computer history museum”

ah, cool, he’s been trying to talk me into coming to toorcamp

just gave him an IBM PS/2 X.25 Coprocessor Card to use in the wack-rear end network there too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

use a regular keyboard as many hours as physically possible while your anatomy is still flexible and you don’t have to worry about this

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Salt Fish posted:

best part is because of the keywells/ergo design, it's easy to switch back to qwerty on a normal non-ergo board.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

there are like 4 ergonomic keyboards worth buying

microsoft natural 4k: for bigger hands it's the cheapest ergonomic keyboard that isn't complete poo poo. it's fine if the spacing between the rests and the keys is good for your hands. it's wide enough that you need to have your chair's armrests set up properly to allow you to switch to mousing without lifting your arm. best wrist rest material

microsoft sculpt: it's more expensive and probably worse ergonomically than the 4k, but some people like it. the detached numpad is garbage that you might as well throw away. the bundled mouse is also garbage. the fabric wrist rest gets disgusting.

kinesis freestyle 2 with the vip kit: are you really overweight or have wide shoulders? do you have small hands? does your work refuse to buy you an a2 for work and home? has the same right hand numpad toggle concept as the a2, which some people can tolerate

kinesis a2: if you can live with the right hand numpad toggle it's the obvious choice. With the detatched numpad it's wider and more awkward than the 4k.

lol option:

the surface ergonomic keyboard: it's similar to the sculpt except the keys are worse, the wrist rest fabric is significantly worse than the sculpt, and it's bluetooth which is garbage.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

maybe if you didn't type at such a high velocity you wouldnt snap your wrist when you miss the spacebar

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i have a natural 4k at work and it's okay, the keys are trash though. you have to hammer it way too hard.

sculpt + trackball at home, will probably go advantage next time i feel like setting some money on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i have had sex .... ... ....

with my keyboard