Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nah, it's just that everyone is using automated shitposters these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

RandomPauI posted:

I guess this thread is dead, but Boston Dynamics isn't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUyU3lKzoio

Yeah there's no way this capability could come back to bite us in the rear end.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

withak posted:

Yeah there's no way this capability could come back to slap us in the rear end.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

withak posted:

Yeah there's no way this capability could come back to bite us in the rear end.

Until it does I’m exited about robotics’ potential to help out people with special needs. How rad would it be for those in wheelchairs (or crutches or what have you) to have robot dogs following them around that can open non-automatic doors? Or carry groceries? It’d be a great quality of life improvement.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why not replace the whole wheelchair bit with one of those? The platform seems good at remaining level and you could be like a centaur going around a few feet higher than in the chair and reach the handle comfortably by hand. Or robot claw if you have grip problems.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That'd solve a couple of accessibility issues, too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

On the other hand, in Korea:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder what the current run time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
They should have started with those sit-down ski dealies.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY4PKBqp9ZM

Seems relevant. Skip to the end for the main event. If that's really what it says it is, and given Boston Dynamics latest vids, the building blocks of smarter-than-people AI are already there, right?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guavanaut posted:

Or robot claw if you have grip problems.

Hold on, are we creating a better wheelchair or Warhammer 40k "even in death, I serve" kinda deal at this point?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Seems relevant. Skip to the end for the main event. If that's really what it says it is, and given Boston Dynamics latest vids, the building blocks of smarter-than-people AI are already there, right?

I mean if you define "building blocks" as something super basic, maybe. But otherwise no, We're still a very very long way from anything approaching human intelligence, much less something smarter. It's way too vague to make accurate predictions, but maybe we'll see it in our lifetimes. But it's not around the corner, it's definitely decades away at best.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I feel like even if we don't get a true general AI, our knowledge base that AI is acquiring, is slowly reaching a point where it's going to be hard for folks to tell the difference. But it's more going to be a brute force trick, not actual intelligence.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Thalantos posted:

But it's more going to be a brute force trick, not actual intelligence.

You got 100 trillion neuron connections in your brain, a CPU has like 300 million very simple connections. If anything when you and a computer both do the same task you are the one brute forcing it and the computer is the one using an actual designed algorithm.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY4PKBqp9ZM

I don't think so. Symbolic action planning is a very old concept in CS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STRIPS

and it's a very, very simplistic form of AI.

But this is still interesting for research into creating fully autonomous drones or something. Like, when your door opening drone is trying to create a plan to murder you, it can't rely on outside help to give it a list of all possible actions. It has to figure those out by itself in a totally novel environment. For example, can I perform stabbing motions with my claws or even hold a kitchen knife? What happens when I stab a human in the leg? Does swinging a pan create enough force to crack a human skull?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also robot AI will always lag datacenter AI if nothing more than due to computing power and data access.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

On the other hand, in Korea:

My favorite part of the Olympics is watching companies and groups try to capitalize on the short window of popularity by using tons of Olympic visuals and imagery but not actually be able to use the word "Olympics" itself or show the Olympic rings.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

Also robot AI will always lag datacenter AI if nothing more than due to computing power and data access.

AI is pretty murky and hand wavingly defined and people would call a lifelike chatbot robot way more intelligent than a database window even if the database window was doing way way way more complex stuff. If something is ai or not is mostly a matter of if it activates primate brain center that judge aliveness rather than any sort of raw computational output.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

AI is pretty murky and hand wavingly defined and people would call a lifelike chatbot robot way more intelligent than a database window even if the database window was doing way way way more complex stuff. If something is ai or not is mostly a matter of if it activates primate brain center that judge aliveness rather than any sort of raw computational output.

You’re missing my point. Regardless of the definition of AI you use, the more powerful ones will not be the ones located in mobile devices like Boston Dynamic’s robots.

Replace AI in my post with “systems of machine learning algorithms and heuristics” if you prefer, but the point remains the same. More data and more processing power is available for non-mobile units than mobile ones.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Trabisnikof posted:

You’re missing my point. Regardless of the definition of AI you use, the more powerful ones will not be the ones located in mobile devices like Boston Dynamic’s robots.

Replace AI in my post with “systems of machine learning algorithms and heuristics” if you prefer, but the point remains the same. More data and more processing power is available for non-mobile units than mobile ones.

What would stop you from having the ai in a data center somewhere and having the robots be remotely controlled?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thalantos posted:

What would stop you from having the ai in a data center somewhere and having the robots be remotely controlled?

Then the datacenter AI is still the more powerful one.

My point was don’t look to robots for the “smarter than humans” AI, look to the AIs consuming massive amounts of data and processing power instead.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Latency, mostly.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm saying that AI vs Computation is so loosely defined that presentation matters a ton. Like if someone built a very charming abstract dog robot and said "find the ball, find the ball boy!" and it ran over and wagged it's tail and put a robot paw on a ball in a room everyone would be very "holy crap, this is some good AI" in a way no one would ever be excited if like, apple photos went through your pictures and silently tagged all the balls. Even if the IOS version was way way better and more advanced.

Same as the way scifi will show a robot is super smart by having him do math, so you go, "woah, this guy is smart" but like a desk calculator doing the same math wouldn't impress anyone. A computer that has "ensouled" a body is easier to judge as an intelligence than the same computer doing the same task presented as an object.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
People aren't good at recognizing the degree of (lack of) intelligence/understanding in fellow humans either; there's no reason why should they be particularly good at it with non-humans.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Teal posted:

People aren't good at recognizing the degree of (lack of) intelligence/understanding in fellow humans either; there's no reason why should they be particularly good at it with non-humans.

I think when humans/animals were the only thing that existed that could information process it was easy to sort of hand wave out a definition of "intelligence" that didn't really coherently make sense but at least had a quality that people knew what you were saying.

Now, trying to apply it to more things it's hard to make anything that makes sense. Now 'intelligence" when talking about machines is stuff like "seeing objects" which generally was never thought of as an intelligent task while stuff like "doing math" or "recalling facts" which were always the hallmarks of "high intelligent" are pretty much thrown out as being anything at all.

Like someone being unusually intelligent was usually them being able to do mental tasks humans are generally bad at and so it turned out we made machines that were good at the things people were bad at quite easily and it ruined everything about the word. Like you gotta be real smart to do hard math, but only if you are a person, if something else does hard math that isn't really much.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Maybe the concept of "inteligence" is not a useful one.

Is good to have concepts and have words to describe poo poo, but "inteligence" has not really helped us much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There are things you can rely on well trained animals to do that you can't (so far) rely on robots to do.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Tei posted:

Maybe the concept of "inteligence" is not a useful one.

I think you can talk about people being tall or short but if you tried to develop machines to be tall that would be like, a metal pole. A lot of attributes only make sense when only applied to similar things. The empire state building is not the tallest man on earth.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I appreciate your insights, especially the recent ones but this...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think you can talk about people being tall or short but if you tried to develop machines to be tall that would be like, a metal pole. A lot of attributes only make sense when only applied to similar things. The empire state building is not the tallest man on earth.

It's three sentences competing with each other in making the least sense, and at the same time working together to produce maximum nonsense.

It's the 2018 "Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff".

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

There are things you can rely on well trained animals to do that you can't (so far) rely on robots to do.

yeah obviously. thats expecting a lot. if we could build mammal like intelligence the singularity would be like a month away.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Makes sense to me. But I still vote to drop the expression inteligence in this context. Lets talk about problem solving machines instead, and include humans in this group.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nah we would more be in the problem creating category.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Doctor Malaver posted:

I appreciate your insights, especially the recent ones but this...

It's three sentences competing with each other in making the least sense, and at the same time working together to produce maximum nonsense.

It's the 2018 "Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff".

You can call a person tall, or you can call a building tall, both are functional sentences. But if you tried to develop a context free definition of "tall" that was applicable to everything you just can't. "Tall" as an adjective requires a framing context to mean a thing.

If a person was 8 foot 9 you'd be super impressed, if someone built a "machine" to be 8 foot 9 you wouldn't be even a little bit impressed. If a person can do the square root of an 8 digit number in their head you'd call them very smart, if a desk calculator did that you wouldn't be that excited.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Teal posted:

Hold on, are we creating a better wheelchair or Warhammer 40k "even in death, I serve" kinda deal at this point?

Lol if you don't believe the future isn't geriatrics in The Surge-esque exoskeletons working in guilded age style factories.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

AceOfFlames posted:

Lol if you don't believe the future isn't geriatrics in The Surge-esque exoskeletons working in guilded age style factories.

The discontinued soda?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

I’m still holding out for the space colony-floating chair-feed tube utopia we saw in Wall-E.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

I’m still holding out for the space colony-floating chair-feed tube utopia we saw in Wall-E.

Just watch My 600 lb Life on TLC. Your Utopia is already reality in modern day Kentucky.

(I mean, technically, Kentucky is traveling through space around the sun)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Waymo got the OK to operate taxis in Arizona. They expect to start a commercial, self-driving taxi service this year.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/robotaxi-permit-gets-arizonas-ok-waymo-will-start-service-in-2018/

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomPauI posted:

Waymo got the OK to operate taxis in Arizona. They expect to start a commercial, self-driving taxi service this year.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/robotaxi-permit-gets-arizonas-ok-waymo-will-start-service-in-2018/

I feel obliged to repeat I do hope all Prague taxi drivers do not only get replaced by self driving cars, but also mulched into soylent yellow or whatever repugnant, heavily tar contaminated mix would that give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm afraid it'll take a while until Waymo taxis can drive in Prague more than 100 meters without getting stuck or involved in some sort of incident so you'll put up with it.

• Locked thread