Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I walked into a public bathroom once and a guy was at the urinal with his pants and underwear at his ankles, so I got a face full of old fat man rear end. I went into the stall to piss and he proceeded then to not flush and turned on the tap without shutting it off as he left.

Some people just don’t get the idea of bathroom etiquette. Savages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Public restrooms that have incomplete hands-free systems. Like you can flush without touching anything but the sink is a normal hand-operated one. Or it's a hands-free sink but then you have to crank the paper towels. Or the sink is hand-operated but the dryer is a hands-free air blower, so you can't use a paper towel to shut off the sink that countless shithands have touched. Or the door opens inward so you have to touch a public door handle immediately after washing, knowing that god-knows-how-many slobs don't wash.

Also, the fact that like half the dudes I see don't wash their hands after pissing.

Also the dudes at the restaurant I used to work at that would drop food on the floor, toss it in the fryer for ten seconds or so, and then serve it up. Gross!

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Feb 10, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also the dudes at the restaurant I used to work at that would drop food on the floor, toss it in the fryer for ten seconds or so, and then serve it up. Gross!

I think a lot of people think that "sterilizes" it. It might even be true, I don't really know, but that's not the point if you're making people pay for what you're making. If you're just at home and you drop something, it's still a little gross feeling to eat it but as long as nobody's watching the only person you're hurting is yourself so it's OK.

When my dad was a chef the rules were if something drops on the floor you either throw it out or take it home so pretty regularly he'd bring home a couple giant lobster tails or steaks they charged 50+ dollars for. It was a pretty good deal as long as you don't think about how it was on the floor before being cooked.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If you've never dropped something on the floor and eaten it, I just can't imagine being able to relate to you on any level. You might as well be an alien from my perspective.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

If you've never dropped something on the floor and eaten it, I just can't imagine being able to relate to you on any level. You might as well be an alien from my perspective.

The thing is a restaurant kitchen floor is covered in stuff like raw poultry, mouldering dairy, whole raw pork chops, and god knows-what-else in addition to normal floor gunk. You have time to sweep during business hours but you ain't sterilizing it till close. Eating off your own living room floor is kind of a different thing. Even just my shoes alone, I spent a few months being the guy that breads and drops fried stuff. Doing that in a rush is gross business and my work shoes were and iirc still are coated in a layer of raw meat batter gunk. Those shoes x10 plus all the food that might get dropped plus normal germs getting tracked in from outside plus batter and marinade sloshing out plus plus plus

And yeah making the choice to eat it when you know what's happened is different from presenting yourself as a clean, respectable place and passing off possibly-contaminated food as a-ok.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Feb 10, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The thing is a restaurant kitchen floor is covered in stuff like raw poultry, mouldering dairy, whole raw pork chops, and god knows-what-else in addition to normal floor gunk. You have time to sweep during business hours but you ain't sterilizing it till close. Eating off your own living room floor is kind of a different thing. Even just my shoes alone, I spent a few months being the guy that breads and drops fried stuff. Doing that in a rush is gross business and my work shoes were and iirc still are coated in a layer of raw meat batter gunk. Those shoes x10 plus all the food that might get dropped plus normal germs getting tracked in from outside plus batter and marinade sloshing out plus plus plus

And yeah making the choice to eat it when you know what's happened is different from presenting yourself as a clean, respectable place and passing off possibly-contaminated food as a-ok.

You just reminded me of this funny standup take about a restaurant so bad you were compelled to stay to witness just how bad it was: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KET476dpF1Y

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BmDCmZM45k&t=109s

secondary peeve: when people upload a clip of a specific thing and include 2 minutes of bullshit before it ever happens when the stuff before it has absolutely no relevance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Related video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BmDCmZM45k&t=109s

secondary peeve: when people upload a clip of a specific thing and include 2 minutes of bullshit before it ever happens when the stuff before it has absolutely no relevance.

Probably 90% of youtubers. I'd rather just get the thing and avoid the douchey dreamworks face commentary and useless intro/outros and reminders to like and subscribe

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Misunderstood the post.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A guest peeve with two edges:

-They ask a question, and don't let me answer because they insist on repeatedly elaborating on the question with useless details
-I ask them a question, and a response that should be simple instead turns into a monologue full of useless details

The first is more maddening because they'll pause as if they've finished talking, and then as soon as I try to offer an answer they immediately launch into another section of reasons and explanations for asking the question, as if it needs justification. The second is frustrating because it means either I'm sitting there listening to them prattle on endlessly, or I give them an answer and then they append a secondary explanation that provides no new information and nothing for me to respond with besides a repetition of my previous answer, worded differently so I don't sound like an obtuse moron.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Both because I saw it on this very page, and because I've seen it happen a lot lately: the abbreviation of "until" as "till."

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Agreed! A till is where the cashier keeps money.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Till is not an abbreviation and is etymologically older than until, altough considered less formal. It exists in anglo-saxon and Chaucer uses it

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
"Add" is not an abbreviation for advertisement.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

"Minus" and "times" are not verbs. You cannot "times n by m" and you cannot "minus n from m". It's not so bad to hear this from elementary school children but it's pretty bad hearing it from adults.

Also, automated washrooms never work for me. It's a relief every time I figure out how to get the tap on, and have to flail around to figure out how to trigger the drier to stay on longer than 2 seconds. I don't know if anyone else has this issue; I figure it's because I have freakishly small hands, but maybe this is universal and we just don't talk about it.

The only thing worse than proximity activated sinks are the ones where one hand has to hold down a button to keep the water on. I ain't gonna wash my hands one at a time, at that point I'll just fish the hand sanitizer out of my bag.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe you're a vampire.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Killingyouguy! posted:

"Minus" and "times" are not verbs. You cannot "times n by m" and you cannot "minus n from m". It's not so bad to hear this from elementary school children but it's pretty bad hearing it from adults.

I have dyscalculia and I genuinely do not understand this? Is it just grammar? I can't say "3 times four"? Is it just that I'm supposed to say "3 multiplied by four"? I feel like those are interchangeable, but I am frequently wrong about such things.

Help, I can't even spell the number 3.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

fizzymercy posted:

I have dyscalculia and I genuinely do not understand this? Is it just grammar? I can't say "3 times four"? Is it just that I'm supposed to say "3 multiplied by four"? I feel like those are interchangeable, but I am frequently wrong about such things.

I think he's saying that "I need to know what 3 times 4 is" is okay, but "I need to times 3 by 4" is his peeve, because it's wrong.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh! Okay, that makes sense. I think. Maybe.
Nope I don't get it. Times 3 by 4 still equals 12 to me so...what? Goddamn you learning disabilities.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

fizzymercy posted:

Oh! Okay, that makes sense. I think. Maybe.
Nope I don't get it. Times 3 by 4 still equals 12 to me so...what? Goddamn you learning disabilities.

It’s grammar pedantry.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
“X times Y” is another way of saying “count Y X times.” “Count” is the verb, like “multiply” also is and “times” never can be. It’s a language peeve, not a mathematics peeve.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I ate one pint of Halo Top ice cream and I think it made me constipated. I'm not eating any more zero fat/zero sugar products again.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Bobby Digital posted:

It’s grammar pedantry.

This is incidentally my pet peeve.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I like playing board games. With most of my friends, I end up being the one to set up the game and explain the rules, because I'm the one who's played all the games before and, according to these friends, I'm the best at explaining them. But every single time, they constantly interrupt me mid-explanation to ask about poo poo that's gonna come up later in the rules and isn't relevant/has no context yet. It'll be like

:j: the first thing you're gonna do on your turn is roll the dice-
:downs: but I don't understand the symbols on these cards!

:j: The goal of the game is to advance on the board by making sets of cards-
:downs: How many cards can I have at once? Where does the discard go??

It's infuriating! Like drat I JUST started, give me a second. The first one especially is a question I get ALL the time when we're just starting to set up a game, and it's kind of hard to explain symbols on the cards when they don't even know the loving mechanics of the game yet. Like if I say "that means you can wake up 2 of your resting villagers" that's not helpful if you don't know when/why you would need to do that, so maybe just let me get through the drat thing then see if you still have questions

Also, recently we've had some new friends joining our games and some of the more experienced ones (the ones always asking these loving questions) have been trying to "help" me explain the games to the new folks. By randomly jumping in and talking over me to explain poo poo that I've already gone over or hasn't come up yet. Because game rules aren't complicated enough already, so of course you need 3 different people shouting random out-of-context rules over each other. Why even ask me to explain it if you're gonna interject every five seconds?

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Also, automated washrooms never work for me. It's a relief every time I figure out how to get the tap on, and have to flail around to figure out how to trigger the drier to stay on longer than 2 seconds. I don't know if anyone else has this issue; I figure it's because I have freakishly small hands, but maybe this is universal and we just don't talk about it.

The only thing worse than proximity activated sinks are the ones where one hand has to hold down a button to keep the water on. I ain't gonna wash my hands one at a time, at that point I'll just fish the hand sanitizer out of my bag.

There’s a store in town where the automated doors never open for me, so I have to pry them open. I think I’m soulless.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

bean_shadow posted:

There’s a store in town where the automated doors never open for me, so I have to pry them open. I think I’m soulless.

When I sold my soul to Satan, I wasn't anticipating this side effect. :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fizzymercy posted:

3x4
Is said as
Three times four
Or multiply three times or by four
Or past tense, three multiplied times or by four
Or even three added together four times, but no one really says that
It can’t be times three by four, or rephrased “three timed by four” because time is not a verb in this confext unless Three is a track and field athlete and Four is timing their runs. The times is a math-only preposition essentially

Original peeve is correct, later haters!

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
I'm a math teacher, a lot of my students are not native English speakers, and every time I hear 'x by y' meaning 'x divided by y' or 'x over y' I still have to stop for a second and mentally parse it.

'times' and 'minus' are fine by me, at least there's only one thing you could logically be talking about!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nettles Coterie posted:

I like playing board games. With most of my friends, I end up being the one to set up the game and explain the rules, because I'm the one who's played all the games before and, according to these friends, I'm the best at explaining them. But every single time, they constantly interrupt me mid-explanation to ask about poo poo that's gonna come up later in the rules and isn't relevant/has no context yet. It'll be like

:j: the first thing you're gonna do on your turn is roll the dice-
:downs: but I don't understand the symbols on these cards!

:j: The goal of the game is to advance on the board by making sets of cards-
:downs: How many cards can I have at once? Where does the discard go??

It's infuriating! Like drat I JUST started, give me a second. The first one especially is a question I get ALL the time when we're just starting to set up a game, and it's kind of hard to explain symbols on the cards when they don't even know the loving mechanics of the game yet. Like if I say "that means you can wake up 2 of your resting villagers" that's not helpful if you don't know when/why you would need to do that, so maybe just let me get through the drat thing then see if you still have questions

Also, recently we've had some new friends joining our games and some of the more experienced ones (the ones always asking these loving questions) have been trying to "help" me explain the games to the new folks. By randomly jumping in and talking over me to explain poo poo that I've already gone over or hasn't come up yet. Because game rules aren't complicated enough already, so of course you need 3 different people shouting random out-of-context rules over each other. Why even ask me to explain it if you're gonna interject every five seconds?

Are you me?

Boardgames are a great hobby of mine but teaching boardgames is always the greatest hurdle.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

God Over Djinn posted:

I'm a math teacher, a lot of my students are not native English speakers, and every time I hear 'x by y' meaning 'x divided by y' or 'x over y' I still have to stop for a second and mentally parse it.

The one that bothers me most is "y into x" instead of "x divided by y". It takes me a couple of seconds every time to mentally switch the numbers around to the right order so I can think about them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That probably comes from long division notation.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Along with the math stuff, why are books called "chapter books" now if they have more than one chapter or aren't a children's story? I've even heard adults use the phrase and even a lady on a Good Morning America type show also used it. I hate it and will use my word sentences to speak out.

EdwardSwifferhands has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Feb 13, 2018

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Seriously? “Chapter book” is a term that should only be used by young children (and those who teach them) to indicate they’ve crossed the threshold into actual reading.

burial has a new favorite as of 09:24 on Feb 13, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

3x4
Is said as
Three times four
Or multiply three times or by four
Or past tense, three multiplied times or by four
Or even three added together four times, but no one really says that
It can’t be times three by four, or rephrased “three timed by four” because time is not a verb in this confext unless Three is a track and field athlete and Four is timing their runs. The times is a math-only preposition essentially

Original peeve is correct, later haters!

Ah ha! I totally get it now. I appreciate this post so much. Thanks for the breakdown.

Peeve: Learning disabilities. Everything about them. I get so worked up about looking dumb that I stress over things like grammar errors when I'm talking about any maths related thing. I get antsy about making correct change. And then I get called stupid when I genuinely can't grasp a basic concept without a lot of extra effort. I'm not stupid :(

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 15:09 on Feb 13, 2018

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I loath the term "Chapter Book". What if it's a kids book divided into chapters? Does it refer to any book that's not a board book? is "Gödel, Escher, Bach" a chapter book?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm starting to loathe albums where the first song fades in very slowly. Just get to the song already, no one's interested in your phony drama. I swear some bands do it just to mess with their listeners, too. "Hmmm, what's with this album it seems to have been recorded very quietly, oh well let me just crank up the volume..." *giganto power chord* "Bleearggh! My ears!"

I give Frank Zappa's Apostrophe a pass, just because.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Inconsiderate people. I work nights and thus far my family is awful about being considerate Webb I'm sleeping. Thus far they've played music very loud, called me when I'm trying to sleep, and a bunch of other poo poo. When I bring it up they get ask defensive and huffy and honestly I just want to blow an author at then when they're trying to sleep.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I ate one pint of Halo Top ice cream and I think it made me constipated. I'm not eating any more zero fat/zero sugar products again.

Usually the sugar alcohol sweeteners they use have an opposite effect. As I learned when I accidentally bought wintergreen breathsavers instead of the lifesavers. I was basically crippled for a day.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sociopastry posted:

Inconsiderate people. I work nights and thus far my family is awful about being considerate Webb I'm sleeping. Thus far they've played music very loud, called me when I'm trying to sleep, and a bunch of other poo poo. When I bring it up they get ask defensive and huffy and honestly I just want to blow an author at then when they're trying to sleep.

Yeah, people that haven't worked nights typically get utterly baffled at the idea that a night worker's schedule might be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

honestly I just want to blow an author at then when they're trying to sleep.

I don't know exactly what this means but you'll probably have better luck posting it in Creative Convention.