Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It could do with being thinned out and the top part of last year’s new growth trimmed down. It needs to be done now while it’s still mostly dormant. Don’t be scared, roses are hardy and have vigorous growth so you can be as brutal as you like.

Firstly find the branches that are crossing and rubbing and take one of them out, I can see a couple that are arching across the middle of the whole plant - those need to go. Then you can stand back and see what you have got and work out what shape you want it to be. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

For sure, there's a lot of this

which will be pretty easy cuts.

The thing I'm intimidated by is the base of this thing. I'm seeing videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRn2CyjxP0c&t=212s
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbyw2GOuk-w&t=49s

The bud union of mine is WAY bigger/older than examples I'm seeing, and I don't know if that's because it's a particular variety, or just that it'd been unmaintained for way too long. As such, I don't know how hard I should go down near the base, as they do in these videos.

That massive middle section is dead and as such the whole thing is lopsided to the left, which is hidden by the top being gathered up together with ties

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Once you have got rid of the bits you definitely don’t want, especially the dead wood, then post the pictures.
Because you don’t know the type yet you don’t know if it flowers on the old wood so I wouldn’t get rid of all of it.

General rule for pruning.

Spring pruning encourages growth
Summer pruning restricts growth.

So if you want to you can do a general tidy and then a major prune of bits of it that haven’t flowered in the summer.

I currently have about 30 roses of all types and they were all pruned hard this year down to maybe 12 inches and they are all budding up fine, by summer a lot of them will be at my knee.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I got me some loppers so it's about Go Time on the rose. Been reading up a bit; though exact ID is impossible because it's not flowering right now, if anyone has a general idea the family that'd be very helpful.

Hybrid Tea/Grandiflora - flowers last season were probably too small
Climbing/Rambling - probably not, but some of those stalks in the middle that have been bent and tied over by whoever worked on this last are easily 10 feet+, so it's a possibility. The bend in that picture is at around 6 feet.
Polyantha - didn't have that many blooms as of last October when I first saw it, but maybe that's because it's so unmaintained
Floribunda/some random 'Shrub' - maybe?

The big question this is leading into is "How hard to go on the base?" It definitely needs some work to open it up and get rid of overlaps/rubbing, but knowing the variety would change the approach towards this big old growth.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would take that one dead centre near the wall out completely and hard hard prune the rest of it. Take the new green growth down to 6 inches and then make the older branches the same height and the see what is left rubbing.

It has been loved in the past, or it wouldn’t be that bushy, so you are pretty much restoring the plant. You probably won’t see the results this season but you will next year. Clematis is the same.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

You mean this dead center piece from the previous pic? I was thinking that; would be nice if opening up the base got some more shoots to come out from the bottom and eventually even it out

I appreciate the feedback :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
On the right with the little nettle above it. Rubbing on the wall won’t hurt it but it’s a bad use of space in the future.

I’ll take a picture of my rose garden tomorrow and you can see how hard the Bush roses at the front have been pruned - I moved most of my roses that were dotted around the garden into one place so next year there will be a solid wall of roses in the back and then a couple of my David Austin’s at the front.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Great, I'd love to see pics and examples of pruning strategies. Issue for figuring out this one is that there's tons of examples like those videos I posted above about yearly pruning of a more... 'managed' bush, but few about how to get a wild old thing under control.

Got in today and really checked out the structure. Do you think there's some legit strategy that the last person did when they tied up the top over into itself? Everything I've read says to open them up and avoid crossers, but this person basically intentionally created a ton of that by pulling it in. Thing is, I don't know if I'm missing some good reason for them to do that (like, it's a Climber/Rambler that's in a bad location), or whether that person just didn't know what they were doing.

I mean look at this

which created

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This is a mystery rose that I believe is the same type as your mystery rose. Honestly, I suck at remembering what my roses actually are.

Apologies for being of focus, was pissing ice rain down so I didn’t realise.

Same type

Rose garden, border ever expanding so I haven’t bothered making it pretty yet. The ones that are hard pruned were all moved - roses have one weak point and it’s that they can go into shock if moved, cutting them hard back while they are dormant makes this risk negligible.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 14, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That person had no clue what they were doing and it hurts my soul :( When you tie up a plant always use something softer than the plant itself. My grandad’s advice was: Save your old tights/nylon stockings as they are strong, gentle, and will expand with the plant.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Nice tip. For the moving, too, have a friend who might want me to take over a few bushes of hers and move them. That's a whole 'nother issue, though.

I wish my granddad was still alive, he worked at a nursery his whole life. I've got his 1960s rose book, though, which is useful, and charming in its old-school way

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My grandad was a farmer in Australia and then a parks manager in the UK. I didn’t realise just how much information I had absorbed from him over the years untill I started doing this gardening lark seriously. I have an absolutely huge family with about 30 first cousins alone, but me and my siblings were the only grandchildren he had in the UK. my brother and sisters couldn’t give a curse about being outside and I did, so looking back he overcompensated with me, to the point where I can plough a field using a shire horse. Grandad averaged about 3 words a day so I can’t tell you Latin names and stuff but the practical side I got down, even with just knowing what depth to plant bulbs from the size of them is a gift from the man.

My Nan (90 years old now) has this thing where she passive aggressively buys Christmas presents, much like a elderly vindictive Santa. If you have displeased grandma then your present will be puny - the year I got divorced I got a tin of supermarket shortbread. Last year I got an allotment “just like your grandad” and she was so pleased with me I got a set of of hand forged gardening equipment including a rake she somehow managed to import from the Netherlands.

I have many dull anecdotes about my grandparents and their rather “eccentric” family because they collectively decided they liked the 1940s so much that they were going to stay there - I had a great aunt who refused to acknowledge the existence of electricity. She died in 2013 aged 103 having never used anything but a bucket and mangle to wash her clothes or candles to light her house.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Well that's the most British thing I've ever read.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Nosre posted:

Great, I'd love to see pics and examples of pruning strategies. Issue for figuring out this one is that there's tons of examples like those videos I posted above about yearly pruning of a more... 'managed' bush, but few about how to get a wild old thing under control.

Yeah the internet's really big on prevention and how to keep things perfect but in general if you've already hosed up (or just inherited a fuckup) articles aren't really helpful and most forums are like "well why'd you gently caress up?"

Contentless content: my Dorstenia foetida flowered an ugly weird little flower but I was unable to get a photo of it. I love my weird little alien plant, here's one from GIS:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

fuzzy_logic posted:

Yeah the internet's really big on prevention and how to keep things perfect but in general if you've already hosed up (or just inherited a fuckup) articles aren't really helpful and most forums are like "well why'd you gently caress up?"

Yea, exactly. Speaking of which, though, yall got any other gardening forums you peruse? Some quick googling led me to https://garden.org/forums/view/roses/, for starters

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I believe https://davesgarden.com forums are a popular one. Gardenersworld is full of olds who are sweet enough if you stay away from politics, technology, or how terrible young people these days are, then a fair few of them turn into rabid lunatics. There is this one woman who can’t figure out how to make her text bigger when she types so every single wall of text she makes, and there are many, is in caps locks.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
I found some wild butterworts and sundews today in my neighborhood. Is this possible in NE Florida?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Absolutely, you've got P. planifolia, P. pumila, P. lutea, and P. primuliflora, at least. In terms of sundews there's D. capillaris, D. intermedia, D. filiformis, possibly D. brevifolia (but I don't know if it makes it all the way east to Florida) and possibly a couple others I'm not aware of. You should take pictures!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

fuzzy_logic posted:

Contentless content: my Dorstenia foetida flowered an ugly weird little flower but I was unable to get a photo of it. I love my weird little alien plant, here's one from GIS:

Omg how cute! :kimchi: I love it.

I'm visiting some friends and wanted to get a low light/care needing houseplant as a gift. I settled on a croton but now it's so happy in a sunny window that I feel bad moving it to a low light zone. Any other ideas? Any succulents that do okay in lowish light? It's not like a dark closet space but no direct sun.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

WrenP-Complete posted:

Omg how cute! :kimchi: I love it.

I'm visiting some friends and wanted to get a low light/care needing houseplant as a gift. I settled on a croton but now it's so happy in a sunny window that I feel bad moving it to a low light zone. Any other ideas? Any succulents that do okay in lowish light? It's not like a dark closet space but no direct sun.

I'm pretty convinced aloe is impossible to kill. My grandma always had one sitting in the kitchen away from any sources of light and it seemed to do fine. I have one of my own sitting in a north facing window behind a sheer curtain and it still managed to put out pups.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Hey Kenning and other carnivore-knowledgeable folks: I'm still really new to the carnivore world (my sundews and my ping are all flowering, hooray!), and I was curious if anyone knows what this little bonus guy growing in my Nepenthes might be. It went from invisible to like 8 inches tall over the course of a couple of weeks. It's waxy but not dew-producing or particularly sticky to my human touch, and I couldn't figure it out from thumbing through Savage Garden. Any ideas? Thanks!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That picture is really tiny for IDing anything, but I'm like 90% sure it's a rush (juncaceae). They come up all the time in sphagnum moss. Are the "leaves" perfectly round and pointed at the end?

You gotta pull them early or they get out of control.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
Ohhh yeah that looks right. Thanks a ton.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They make a nice bog plant if you want to throw it in its own pot!

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Can I get some bulbs 101? My girlfriend picked up these, spur of the moment:

Thing is, I want to replant them outside. All the sources I can find are for planting bulbs when they're just bulbs, in the fall, at which point you plant them 3 to 4 inches deep. What about for these already-germinating ones? Same depth? It'd bury quite a bit of that growth, so I wasn't sure

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bury them to the top of the bulb, then when they have died off at the end of the season re-bury them deeper :)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hope this is the right thread for this. We bought a house last June in eastern North Carolina and through no effort of our own, there's a pear tree in the back yard. We didn't really do anything specific to take care of it (way too much other stuff going on). It did bear a pretty decent amount of fruit, and if I hadn't picked it a few weeks too early it would've been a good haul, somewhere around 12 pears. (I couldn't reach some of them because I don't have a tall enough free-standing ladder yet.) So now I feel inspired to go all-in on being the resident pear guy.

Right now it's starting to bud again. But most of the really green buds are on a little "offshoot" coming out the bottom. If you look at the picture below (apologies for fairly low quality/lighting) it's on the lower left. Elsewhere on the tree, there are some buds starting but they're not very green.

So what I'm wondering is whether I need to prune anything, and how much. Should I chop off the whole offshoot because it's taking nutrients away from the main tree or something? If so, is there anything else I can do with it? I'm pretty new at this, so I've heard a few general ideas about pruning here and there, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That looks like a standard tree rather than grafted so it will be true to type. What I would do is get hold of some rootstock and some grafting tape and get yourself a second tree. Or, and this has a high failure rate, you could cut it off and rub mycorrhizal fungi all over it and simply stick it in the ground.

Edit: whole tree needs pruning, tree is sick. Cut off any rubbing branches for a start, open it up, and bring the top down and I guarantee you you will get 10x the fruit as you did last year. Fruit likes space in which to grow :)

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 26, 2018

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Thanks in general for all your replies, learnincurve. Been a big help.

And I'm glad I checked up, because the GF came back with these today (4x Narcissus, 2x Hyacinthus, 2x Tulipa):

Getting a yard has created a monster!

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Hey plants thread! I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I need some help identifying a mushroom/fungus I found in my yard ((Tulsa, OK)).

It looks a teeny tiny bit like Hen of the Woods, but I am not willing to test that. I'm somewhat new to mushrooming and foraging.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 28, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Turkey tail? Eat it and find out! obviously don't do that

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

learnincurve posted:

That looks like a standard tree rather than grafted so it will be true to type. What I would do is get hold of some rootstock and some grafting tape and get yourself a second tree. Or, and this has a high failure rate, you could cut it off and rub mycorrhizal fungi all over it and simply stick it in the ground.

Edit: whole tree needs pruning, tree is sick. Cut off any rubbing branches for a start, open it up, and bring the top down and I guarantee you you will get 10x the fruit as you did last year. Fruit likes space in which to grow :)

Hey thanks for the advice! I'm hoping I can get that stuff together really soon. It's hard with 2 babies running around but I know I can't wait around too long for this sort of thing.

I've come back with more pictures just for the heck of it. One thing I noticed only today is that there's another shoot, though it's far less developed. I suppose I should prune that too, but I'm less confident in its chances of becoming a new tree. Guess it can't hurt to try though.

The other shoot:

And a picture of what the buds look like on a branch of the main tree:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Freakbox posted:

Hey plants thread! I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I need some help identifying a mushroom/fungus I found in my yard ((Tulsa, OK)).

It looks a teeny tiny bit like Hen of the Woods, but I am not willing to test that. I'm somewhat new to mushrooming and foraging.

What type of tree is that it's growing on? I can try to key it out for you since it's a polypore but in general identifying mushrooms from a photo is pretty much impossible.

edit: that is NOT hen of the woods, I can tell you that much. Could be false turkeytail but from that photo it's impossible to know for sure. The fruiting surface would need to be visible. Not poisonous but you'd be hard pressed to try and eat it I bet because it looks like one of the corky/woody types.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 1, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh you can graft that new shoot Sir Lemming :D I got a cutting from a rare white peach tree that’s about 7 inches long which has been grafted onto dwarfing peach stock. Few years time when it’s grown up I’m going to take a branch from my red leaf peach tree, and the white peach tree and make myself a Harvey Dent tree.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I moved into a place with a peach tree. Not sure what variety it is, but I know I'll need to spray it(?) in order to prevent fungus(?) in order to get a good yield of fruit.

What kind of spray should I look for? When should I spray it? Is any of this accurate?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m going to tell you to take your chances, because the only fungicides that work contain copper and are banned in the UK. You should definitely not be looking up Bordeaux mixture.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
I'm interested in growing Himalayan Blue Poppy (Meconopsis betonicifolia) in USA zone 5b
I've read the plant is ~impossible to grow in e.g. mid-Atlantic USA, because temperatures over 80°F tend to kill it
Anyone have experience with this plant? and what I'd really like to know, any idea on what the "effective" temperature in shade might be compared to full sun i.e. if temps hit 90°F but the plant is in substantial shade might the plant experience it as, say, 75°F and be ok?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m sad enough to have bought a really massive American plant A-Z for the zone stuff you all have

It will be fine in 5b unless you get a really brutal winter, don’t get hung up about the heat thing that’s not the issue :) . It’s a himalayan woodland variety so moist shade, lots of organic matter - it wants leaf mould and bark, and slightly acid soil. Bit demanding she is.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

vonnegutt posted:

I moved into a place with a peach tree. Not sure what variety it is, but I know I'll need to spray it(?) in order to prevent fungus(?) in order to get a good yield of fruit.

What kind of spray should I look for? When should I spray it? Is any of this accurate?

Yep, it is. It's called "brown rot". https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/all-about-brown-rot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does it matter what kind of liquid fertilizer I buy?

e: for houseplants

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 11, 2018