Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not "just" a sop to realism argument. It's literally in the design that some spells require hand-gestures to execute, so why put it in there if it cannot be interacted with?
https://youtu.be/gRdfX7ut8gw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

:matters::majorminor:

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hot take: Spellcasting should be declared at the start of the round, but doesn't complete until the caster's turn.

At any point before then, an enemy can spend their action to try to interrupt spellcasting, forcing the caster to do a concentration check or lose the spell.

Almost perfect, just ditch the concentration check! And let spellcasters fake their spellcasting and delay it to later in the round if they want , etc etc. Funny how all this was solved decades ago then thrown away , and now is yet another brick in the wall of wizard supremacy

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not "just" a sop to realism argument. It's literally in the design that some spells require hand-gestures to execute, so why put it in there if it cannot be interacted with?

Presumably if you're in an out of combat situation and tie the mage's hands behind his back or nail them to a plank or something the DM would rule that prevents them from starting to cast spells, so you can throw wizards in jail or whatever.

(Although is there any RAW status that covers 'nailed to a board' and if not, can they still cast spells RAW and why am I playing this game)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How do wands work? Can anyone use them unless they need to be attuned?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Character input requested: I would like to roll up a Barbarian focusing on the Eagle totem and taking the Mobile feat. At 5th level that would allow 100 feet of movement on a bonus Dash action. Seems like a fun core idea to build around.

Any suggestions for races, other feats, etc.? I was thinking Wood Elf for the additional movement but open to others.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Smashing Link posted:

Character input requested: I would like to roll up a Barbarian focusing on the Eagle totem and taking the Mobile feat. At 5th level that would allow 100 feet of movement on a bonus Dash action. Seems like a fun core idea to build around.

Any suggestions for races, other feats, etc.? I was thinking Wood Elf for the additional movement but open to others.
A small race would allow you to grab squat nimbleness for another +5.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Halflings can also book through larger enemy's squares which could be fun for charging a backline.

The downside is no Heavy weapons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Grab two levels of rogue (or go half-orc and take orcish aggression) for bonus action dashing.

e: rogue would let you expertise athletics. Grapple a dude and then drag them 50 feet away.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 13, 2018

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Thinking along the Halfling line, how easy is it to poison someone in this game? IE dash in, poison, dash out.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How do wands work? Can anyone use them unless they need to be attuned?

Yep. If it says requires attunement by a class, it is restricted, otherwise anyone can use anything, pretty much. Scrolls are a bit wonky, imo, though.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I recently bought a 3D printer and I've been using it to print off a few models for our latest campaign. The thing I'm looking to start printing is some terrain pieces for a more interesting looking board. I'm looking for some 2 story building models I can print, even 1 story would be fine but I'm looking specifically for buildings with removable floors/roofs so we can place models inside easily.

If anyone knows where I might find model files like this I would love to know. I'm willing to pay for some but obviously if there are any free ones out there it would be even better.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Storm King's Thunder spoilers

So I am supposed to give my group an airship....and I don't want to. I get that they did a big cool thing but...it seems too easy. The hook in the book is "an ancient red dragon gives it to them via his cult but is capricious and attacks them on sight if they go find him afterward". That's...a little silly. I want them to steal it from him instead. My proposal instead is as follows:

They're friends with a bronze dragon named felgolos. He's a bit of a drunk(he generally takes halfling form to make his drinks go further) and has bursts of good and bad luck. The group know he's a bit of an x-factor - he is friendly to humans and vaguely associated with the alliance between major human settlements in the north, but is also a dragon and they know he has his own dragon business, which he's never talked about directly and they're suspicious of.

So my thought is that he knows about and wants klauth, the ancient red dragon's airship and is gonna perhaps try to get the group to help him without telling them exactly what they're doing. They'll find him in town when they're otherwise busy and he's with Dasharra, a woman dressed who he's obviously trying to seduce. He'll ask for help with but imply it's just that. Hopefully they'll tell him enough information that he can entice them with "a ride", with the implication that it will be on his back. She's actually the red dragon cult's pilot and knows where it's kept. Felgolos knows this but she doesn't know that he knows. She's somewhat playful and intrigued by felgolos but still a bit skeptical of people in general. Her ambitions do go beyond serving klauth but she's not gonna go along with any old plan and felgolos certainly isn't gonna show his hand until he's sure - klauth will find him eventually after all if he knows he planned on crossing him.

I'd like to somehow have the group accompany them to where it's kept, without the pretense of stealing anything, and also have felgolos talk up the red dragon as frightening and to be respected. My idea was that he'll get her to mention the airship, felgolos plays curious and wants to check it out, say out loud "who here trusts me" once they're up in the air, and then stabs one of the more-loyal crew members while the ship is in mid-air, prompting a fight and perhaps a rough landing with the party attempting to fly this thing in lieu of the trained crew. Dasharra might be angry but will side with the party for now - she brought the thief here and is probably marked for death by klauth even if she stops him.

So I guess my point here is, how do I turn this from a cool story idea into a dnd adventure? I don't have great roles for the party to play in this - obviously the DM orating a cool heist is not at all interesting to anyone. I definitely want felgolos to use his established good-nature to lead the party into crossing an ancient red dragon, something they'd be too smart to do of their own accord.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 13, 2018

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I shouldn't have read it (I cut off pretty early) but I'm in a run of it that has some DM changes to the story.

We got it loaned from Felgolos, who was the deus ex machina that saved us in the Nightstone battle. He'd sent it after us when he heard we were visiting the oracle and it made a dramatic appearance as we fled the collapsing temple. Now, as I understand it, Felgolos is not the book's choice for the Nightstone savior, but maybe you could swap that party in his place?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Splicer posted:

Grab two levels of rogue (or go half-orc and take orcish aggression) for bonus action dashing.

e: rogue would let you expertise athletics. Grapple a dude and then drag them 50 feet away.

Orcish Aggression is a UA feat that did not make it into Xanathars, if that matters to him, so full on Orc would be the way to go for that specifically.

Or go Tabaxi for their silly ability to double their speed. if you are okay with picking a Cat with a bird totem.

Tabaxi also picks up a climb speed of 20. I don't know how that interacts with speed increases from Mobile/Fast Movement. The DM could say speed = walk speed, climb = climb. If I was DM I would just have your climb speed scale at 2/3 your walk speed so I can have a super parkour cat in my game.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarkAvenger211 posted:

If anyone knows where I might find model files like this I would love to know. I'm willing to pay for some but obviously if there are any free ones out there it would be even better.

Check Thingiverse if you haven’t already.

https://www.thingiverse.com/

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So my DM is cancelling for weeks on end. Nice kid but I think the writing's on the wall for Sir Rupert Brighthollow, Halfling Paladin. I'm jumping campaigns to a "Sea and Sorcery' campaign and I would like help with a build.

The concept: Human Archfey Warlock that's actually a 100% normal dude. The magic is coming from an entourage of pixie attendants assigned to him by his lover, a minor Fey noble. I'm thinking one fairy with an actual personality as my Find Familiar cast and 1 minor pixie per EB bolt as flavor.

Beyond the basic taxy Invocations what are some flavorful options I can take for Fey Court Ganymede and his Sparkle Boys?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Sounds like this guy could use the new Feywild Patron that's gonna be in that Kickin' Rad 80's Faerie Fire book.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Razorwired posted:

So my DM is cancelling for weeks on end. Nice kid but I think the writing's on the wall for Sir Rupert Brighthollow, Halfling Paladin. I'm jumping campaigns to a "Sea and Sorcery' campaign and I would like help with a build.

The concept: Human Archfey Warlock that's actually a 100% normal dude. The magic is coming from an entourage of pixie attendants assigned to him by his lover, a minor Fey noble. I'm thinking one fairy with an actual personality as my Find Familiar cast and 1 minor pixie per EB bolt as flavor.

Beyond the basic taxy Invocations what are some flavorful options I can take for Fey Court Ganymede and his Sparkle Boys?

Always be prestidigitating everything into glitter and neon.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
I always pull for 3.5e version of prestidigitation, its slightly better and its my favorite spell of all time.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Sparkly boys? Alternate patron idea:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

thefakenews posted:

Welp, turns out that Mearls says you can. Doesn't seems correct to me, but oh well.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/06/02/can-a-character-attempt-his-bonus-action-between-his-2-attacks/

The logic behind the way my group plays is as follows: 1) it's bad rear end

But honestly the Bonus Action thing is premised on the idea that so long as you perform the trigger on your turn you can do it whenever you want. Unless it is specified otherwise.

So the dual wield attack can be triggered by having two weapons out and using the attack action with two weapons in my hand. So I take the attack action with my two weapons out and make a main hand attack (with BM attack), then use my bonus action to attack with the offhand (with another BM attack) which I can do because I triggered the BA qualifier.

As level 5 I get a second attack with my attack action I can use when I want on my turn, this can be broken up as with movement, etc. I have only used one attack with my attack action. I stow/drop a weapon as my free item interaction with attack action to give me a free hand, then as per rules I trade another attack for a grapple attempt.

Obviously the DM can rule however he or she wants to but it seems within the scope of being both RAW as well as RAI. If somebody was going "well I use my offhand hand axe to use my Bonus Action dual wield attack as I am holding two weapons then I drop a hand axe and grab my focus to cast a spell as my action" I would say that doesn't work.

The key, for me anyway, is you can break up your attack action however you want but if you want to offhand attack you have to both take your attack action and use a main hand attack at some point during your turn with both hands wielding your two weapons.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
BM attack? :gonk: Stop using poop as weapons.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Razorwired posted:

Consider some levels of Glamour Bard as it is all about being irresistible and is Fey themed (perhaps you have Siren ancestry you are unaware off). They use inspiration to make themselves so drat pretty(via your sprite make up artists) all their allies feel invigorated (temp HP) and get free movement (that avoids opportunity attacks) to run to your aid. In one minute you can attempt to seduce(charm) 4 or 5 people, though song or dance, basically an additional situational Fey Presence. At level 6 you can just spam Command as a bonus action and anyone you had already charmed autofails against it.

You definitely need Mask of Many Faces for costume change and sexy role play. One moment your Patron has a Pizza Delivery Boy fantasy, the next they want you in leather and chains.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Don't you tell me how to use my improvised weapons I took a feat for this (literal) poo poo sock

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kaysette posted:

Sparkly boys? Alternate patron idea:

So shiny

Moana has easily jumped into my top 3 of Disney movies.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How do you make the gimmick work? I I'd thought about doing a Valor Bard/Bladelock as a tiefling or dragonborn and really metalling it up.

We're doing Curse of Strahd so honestly I just draw on the misery that's there for song inspirations.

So far I've recruited a 9 year old boy (who now has a level of rogue thanks to our parties rogue teaching him), a scraggly mutt dog, and a sabertooth tiger so it's becoming quite a road show.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

No its Burning Man attack. Its a combo spells that makes dancing lights, color spray, and thunderwave.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

FRINGE posted:

No its Burning Man attack. Its a combo spells that makes dancing lights, color spray, and thunderwave.

You forgot Stinking Cloud.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Grease

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I while ago I was thinking that I wanted to write a Warrior Priest class inspired by the class of the same name from the old MMO Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. I got sidetracked, started working on building a world for a campaign, and read the Eisenhorn novels while I was at it. I finally have a first draft. It sort of still has a coat of Sigmar colored paint on it, but it's mostly written around a xenophic human supremacist church that dominates a demi-plane that humans are native to in the world I'm making. Exchange "Chaos/Heresy" for "corruption/planar magic/arcane learning" and you've got the basic framework.

5E by design is kind of low powered, and I wanted to make a class that breaks out of that mold. Something that feels powerful and has lots of options and versatility. It's only loosely balanced against 5E classes, and there's lots of room for tweaking. I thought I'd post it here for you guys to look at and let me know what you think. Cheers, I look forward to whatever feedback you guys have to offer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19GR_0eQ_2qJI_apIlTsL0P9l_CYn7rwM/view?usp=sharing

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'm not sure what feedback I'm supposed to offer to a homebrew PC class that's not meant to be balanced.

Check grammar?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What kind of feedback would you like to offer?

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
Don't set out to make things that don't fit a game, play a different game instead.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

NeurosisHead posted:

What kind of feedback would you like to offer?

That this reply is kind of confrontational.

Your class isn't meant to be balanced (good job fulfilling that criteria), and it's meant to be thematically tied to another game. Like, what're you after here?

"Are my broke rear end numbers too broke rear end, or not broke rear end enough?"
"Would you say that ritual casting is something that may make this too close to other magic/melee character classes?"
"Where would you rank this class in terms of power, relative to a Cleric or Paladin?"

Good and useful questions.

Rocking up with a drawing of shadow the hedgehog and being "OC do not steal plz, critique wanted" is- maybe not the most useful. What are you hunting for here, bud?

Sion fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 14, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm not actually looking for any specific things to be critiqued. Any feedback really is welcome. I made a thing that was interesting to make, and thought I'd share it. If that feedback is "no one is interested go away" that's fine too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The heal as a reaction when you hit something is strange - no other reaction ability in the game is designed to be used exclusively on your own turn. Why not a bonus action?

That is, unless what you mean is "you may use a reaction to attack someone and heal someone else if it hits".

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 14, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
gently caress you guys are dicks sometimes.

Maybe spread the Auras out, though there's no indication of whether you get them all at Level 1, 3 etc.

I'd add that you start with a ritual book under the Level 1 part.

I'd remove Extra Attack. Normal Clerics don't get it, but what you could do is have getting Extra Attack part of one of the order choices instead of a base ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The heal as a reaction when you hit something is strange - no other reaction ability in the game is designed to be used exclusively on your own turn. Why not a bonus action?

That is, unless what you mean is "you may use a reaction to attack someone and heal someone else if it hits".

My intent there was that when you hit with a melee attack, you can then expend your reaction to heal a friendly target. In WAR, that was how the class worked - hit offensive target, heal defensive target, and I wanted to preserve that. I think I could tone that down to a dice pool like the summer druid and maybe make it actually balanced.

Arthil posted:

Maybe spread the Auras out, though there's no indication of whether you get them all at Level 1, 3 etc.

I'd add that you start with a ritual book under the Level 1 part.

I'd remove Extra Attack. Normal Clerics don't get it, but what you could do is have getting Extra Attack part of one of the order choices instead of a base ability.

Those were ideas I had chewed on too, and folding the auras into the Orders. My first thought was that the warrior priest could activate the aura and then change it to another one of them during its active duration so that's how I wrote it in the first draft. I did a lot of the first design steps when I was really inspired thinking about the MMO class's mechanics, but that doesn't translate well to tabletop gameplay.