Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Leal posted:

Do you want to try again with the chicken hat?

I don't even know what game's that from because I don't suck at sneaking :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Lot of people getting salty at other people for not gelling with games that are, historically, very hard to gel with.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not gelling and not grasping basic game mechanics the game tells you about are two different things.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Lot of people getting salty at other people for not gelling with games that are, historically, very hard to gel with.

PYF thing dragging this game down: The reason you dislike my favorite game is invalid and let me explain in detail why

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The text in Monster Hunter is ridiculously tiny. The thing pissing me off the most, though, is that the drops you get from breaking parts off of monsters are incredibly hard to see. They're tiny, pebble sized things that glow white... on floors that are white or very, very light grey. Literally everything else you can interact with lights up like a Christmas tree, but these things that are pretty much the most valuable things in the entire game since you need them in order to progress are barely visible.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Open world games are over 15 years old at this point and they're still padding games out with checkpoint races even though they have never been fun ever. Either the time limit is so lenient that it's just a task to complete or it's so strict you have to methodically memorize the entire layout and spec exactly for it just to complete it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I hate racing in any non-racing game, and also in some racing games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Usually people get further than a fraction of the way through a tutorial before going online and complaining like they've seen it all, and other people tend to speak up when there are clear solutions to the things they're complaining about

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Digirat posted:

Usually people get further than a fraction of the way through a tutorial before going online and complaining like they've seen it all, and other people tend to speak up when there are clear solutions to the things they're complaining about

please feel free to continually misrepresent what i said

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

please feel free to continually misrepresent what i said

Right?

Plus we both said straight up we played the tutorials.

Not sure why y'all can't just go "eh. I guess it's not for you, then." instead of trying to argue me out of my opinion.

My favorite game is Dark Souls, but I recommend it to almost no one, because first and foremost I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Also: lol at "20 minutes to complete a mission" and "20 minutes to fight a boss" being "basically the same".

In Mass Effect 2/3, 20 minutes to complete a mission is fine. I am running all over the freakin galaxy. I'm pretty sure the longest boss fight I can recall having in a game was first time I fought Defiled Amygdala in Bloodborne, which I considered a HUGE slog and took like 8 minutes.

I have no interesting in padding the boss fight with extra time chasing it through the woods or picking up poo poo I might need along the way. I'd rather have it be EITHER a mission or a boss fight, not some weird amalgam of both. Could it be that MH:W isn't for me? No. My preferences and opinions are wrong because....

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Monster hunter is pretty much nothing but boss fights. Any other types of missions are just like sidequests or simple babby stuff to teach you the ropes of gathering or crafting on the field

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the other guy stated repeatedly that they didn't read the tutorials, actually, and claimed they started at the beginning when they actually jumped in after mission 3, that's why they're being dumb

you're just dumb for the sake of it

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

the other guy stated repeatedly that they didn't read the tutorials, actually, and claimed they started at the beginning when they actually jumped in after mission 3, that's why they're being dumb

you're just dumb for the sake of it

I didn't jump in after mission 3, it's where I quit playing. I didn't count the earlier "mission" of killing seven little guys as a mission; I used the great jagras as the first mission because it's the first big guy you kill, and based on what I've seen of my fiance's playing, that's what the majority of the game is.

I did my best to read all the 6-point font tutorials but they spit so many at you so soon that it was super easy for me to gloss over poo poo; I would have preferred if they had more active tutorials, instead. I'm sorry if this offends you

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Samuringa posted:

I hate racing in any non-racing game, and also in some racing games.
I recently went back and played Conkers BFD for nostalgia sake, got to the caveman area and had a repressed memory kick me in the gut.

Any game that throws some sort of other gameplay type minigame in your way and makes it mandatory is awful. Just awful.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

food court bailiff posted:

the other guy stated repeatedly that they didn't read the tutorials, actually

Also if it actually taught you how to play the game instead of spitting reams of tutorials at you in 6-point font.

????

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm so glad I know non-Goons to play MHW with once it's out on PC, I can only imagine if I try it with someone like food court bailiff I'll be constantly berated for not being perfect on my first hunt.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The MHW Community is forgiving as gently caress, when you TLDR over tutorial messages, welp.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sorry, you're right and I'm wrong, the game is perfect and there couldn't possibly be any improvements in the way it teaches you how to play.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

The MHW Community is forgiving as gently caress, when you TLDR over tutorial messages, welp.

What you say and the way you say it don't really jibe.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The game has flaws, but glossing over tutorial messages and giving up after a couple of fights with the basic enemies is on you. :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monster Hunter is not for everyone, this is the "complain about games" thread, who cares, etc.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What you say and the way you say it don't really jibe.

If someone can't be hosed to read a tutorial message, and get sniffy when stuff is explained, what do you expect. Digital had gone into a lot of detail which went untouched.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

If someone can't be hosed to read a tutorial message, and get sniffy when stuff is explained, what do you expect. Digital had gone into a lot of detail which went untouched.

They did try to read the tutorial messages, but there were a whole bunch of them and they're apparently really hard to read because of the tiny font the game uses.

You'd know that if you didn't gloss over their posts.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

You can keep saying I purposely didn't read them, but I'm not sure why you would because it isn't what I said at all.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
really i dont play MHW because both i dont care about the kind of gameplay it has and because of the people that generally play it.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Feb 13, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zanzibar Ham posted:

They did try to read the tutorial messages, but there were a whole bunch of them and they're apparently really hard to read because of the tiny font the game uses.

You'd know that if you didn't gloss over their posts.

She still glossed over.important details and ignored people who explained things. Hope this helps you.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

She still glossed over.important details and ignored people who explained things. Hope this helps you.

She also said from the start that maybe the problem was with her and the game wasn't for her, and the people "explaining" things were being really passive-aggressive assholes like you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zanzibar Ham posted:

She also said from the start that maybe the problem was with her and the game wasn't for her, and the people "explaining" things were being really passive-aggressive assholes like you.

Something that was acknowledged but she decided to try and make a point by continuing to post about it.

At some point the issue is the player, not the game.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
for gently caress sake is monster hunter the new loving dark souls of videogame thread derails

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ironically we had someone whinge about Dark Souls because they weren't paying attention and doubled down when explanations were posted. :v:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm more than willing to admit that I might be the problem, that there's something I'm not getting

no poo poo

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

poptart_fairy posted:

Something that was acknowledged but she decided to try and make a point by continuing to post about it.

Only after other people continued to post about it, while being assholes about it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Because "friendly" MHW goons like yourselves kept making GBS threads on her.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Actually the MH World weapon tutorials aren't good at all. They give the basic combos, sure, but the combo display they give isn't very good and has no concept of timing. It also seems to omit some important stuff.

Using the Charge Blade, for example: I had absolutely no idea that you could charge up the shield because the combo the game teaches you doesn't explain that you need to press the R button WHILE you're doing the triangle+circle action (and then, only when you're charged). I only found out because my friend told me. Likewise, I could not find any indication at all about how to charge up my sword - I only found out that I could even do that by first seeing someone online do it, then looking up instructions about how to do it because the game's combo lists are barebones.

That said, the game's fights are not boss fights, and treating them as such will have you make such statements like

HaB posted:

In Mass Effect 2/3, 20 minutes to complete a mission is fine. I am running all over the freakin galaxy. I'm pretty sure the longest boss fight I can recall having in a game was first time I fought Defiled Amygdala in Bloodborne, which I considered a HUGE slog and took like 8 minutes.

The fights in Monster Hunter are not boss fights, they are the entire mission. That's like saying you didn't like the fights in Shadow of the Colossus because they are too long 'for boss fights', when in fact they aren't boss fights, they are the core of what the entire game is based around - every single mechanic in the game is structured around these battles. BUT that said if you don't like that core, then it's totally understandable, and people saying that your dislike of the game is incorrect for some reason is dumb.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

You were also complaining about how the game made no effort at teaching you to play, when it does. Players also stepped in to explain the concepts but you got lovely.

You don't gloss over basic tutorial information and then start grumbling you're clueless.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Because "friendly" MHW goons like yourselves kept making GBS threads on her.

Go back and read how quickly she said she was glossing over poo poo, and how she made out the game doesn't teach you to play it.

You're going to bat for someone who didn't read their tutorial messages while apparently having not played it yourself.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Sometimes in super mario land 2: six golden coins the pipes are a bit hit and miss. It drags the game down a bit.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Go back and read how quickly she said she was glossing over poo poo, and how she made out the game doesn't teach you to play it.

You're going to bat for someone who didn't read their tutorial messages while apparently having not played it yourself.

oh my god you are the most frustrating person in the loving world

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Power shots kind of ruin mario tennis on the gameboy advance. I preferred the cleaner tennis experience of the gameboy color version, despite the spin stat being mostly useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

spoiler: those tutorials the game is spitting at you? that's the game telling you how to play, that's why they're called tutorials

the font size is a problem yeah but don't come into the thread huffing and puffing I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO STUFFFF when in your first post you're like 'yeah lol i didn't read those'