Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
What happened to the Worlds Adrift Steam page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Turd Herder posted:

What happened to the Worlds Adrift Steam page?

I think they pulled it off the Early Access page because it's still very very beta and they wanted to communicate that better.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

other than the range nerf to all things salvage the 0.1.6.1 patch is very good. I am very happy with the changes.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Logged in to check it out since they fixed stuttering on island render.

Crewed up with a friend who was in t2.

First island, got some knawledge.

Second island, had to set down to add another personal reviver for 3rd friend.

There was a group of 5 random pubbies chilling and working on a ship.

Stole all their hemlock from a chest they had on the ground. The best resources are the ones someone else gathered.

Island reset. Blue chest spawned nearby. One of the pubbies got to it before me.

I shot him and stole the contents as well as all the materials they had in their inventory.

I loving love this game.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Started playing this again recently with a friend. We spawned on an island and a pubbie landed to work on his ship. We said we'd join his crew, which he declined. He wasn't aware that he didn't have a choice, so we killed him and relieved him of his ship, piece by piece :getin:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
The new knowledge tree includes automatic unlocks for skycore upgrades - it's 1300 lifetime xp for the first one.

Feels pretty good if chests aren't dropping the pieces you need.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Anyone having issues with their ships "drifting" when you're not on them.

So far we have lost a ship to the sandwall and almost lost another to a stormwall because our ships decided to #yoloswag420 it without our input.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
How close is this to full release? Are there a lot of features left for them to implement? I played about 6 months ago and the concept and movement is great, but there's still a lot to be desired.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
No clue, probably a while.

New thing on blight storms. Big tornados of energy designed to roam around eating up loose physics objects. Targets player ships last so you should be able to avoid em.
https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/tech-tuesday-blight-and-the-cheese/

Also this shot of a fight near one is badass

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Uncle Spriggly posted:

How close is this to full release? Are there a lot of features left for them to implement? I played about 6 months ago and the concept and movement is great, but there's still a lot to be desired.

Honestly I'd be shocked if they hit 1.0 before 2021.

Despite the beta tag this game is absolutely a paid alpha.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Yea they're still adding core features, so it's an alpha. Sucks cause it's a team game that I can't recommend to friends yet.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Still on track for the patch and wipe tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/TheRealStrite/status/965607032895213574

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jackard posted:

Yea they're still adding core features, so it's an alpha. Sucks cause it's a team game that I can't recommend to friends yet.

I cannot find much motivation to play until it becomes deeper than mine, build ship, shoot at other ships.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The best time so far with this game was when half the server congregated in one system and called it Freeport Osiris. Despite all the lag and bugs it was a really fun two weeks just stealing ships and causing general mayhem. Features aside, the game right now just doesn’t have the playerbase to be an engaging multiplayer experience.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I think I'd still be playing if they spent some time improving the building ships part of the game. It's too tedious and awkward. It's got great bones but needs work. As it stands I'll probably just keep waiting for improvements there.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I'm sure updates will make the game more populous, but I really wonder if there are enough interested people to keep the game in development for a few more months or years...

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I'm sure updates will make the game more populous, but I really wonder if there are enough interested people to keep the game in development for a few more months or years...

It might not matter. Some companies use early access to fund development, but some just use it to pad a pre-existing dev budget. They might be fine to just keep plugging away regardless of current player-base and make more money on release. I hope that's the case.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The lag in this game seems deep in the code and would honestly require a huge rewrite of the existing game. I’m pretty sure this game is vaporware proof of concept and they are using the huge investor funds to develop or stuff like paintball skateboards

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I so want this project to turn out well. The theme, setting and atmosphere are great even in this early stage, and the initial feeling of getting your first ship in the air and exploring the cool islands is really cool.

They have a long, long way to go before this game is worthy of recommendation and I really want to know just what they'll give players to do outside of blasting one another out the air. It seems like such a lot of distance to go with the super neat but very shallow core they currently have.

Best grappling hook action I've experienced in a while though

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cheap Shot posted:

It might not matter. Some companies use early access to fund development, but some just use it to pad a pre-existing dev budget. They might be fine to just keep plugging away regardless of current player-base and make more money on release. I hope that's the case.

Well after what they did with deck splash I wouldn't be surprised if they walked away due to low player count.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Player count is only low because there is no global chat so its basically a oasis of tumbleweed feeling alone. No group crew respawners and no way to own islands or territory or well do anything that matters. Once all that junk finally gets into the game it will be worth playing.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Anyone down to play this again?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Just built a Windwall piercing ship.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The game is still Alpha as heck in my opinion, but they are at least trying to communicate more: https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/ they're doing a lot more weekly updates and so on

forge
Feb 26, 2006
New patch is out 17GB. New islands and all that poo poo and some upgrades to bubbles. Servers will be up at 1PM EST.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.worldsadrift.com/patch-notes/108337/

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

forge posted:

New patch is out 17GB. New islands and all that poo poo and some upgrades to bubbles. Servers will be up at 1PM EST.

The new world is very cool and they keep improving things. I'd say it's 90% new islands so far with 10% being old retuning ones.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I've been interested in this for a while. Is there anything to work towards or is it mostly just "make your own adventure"-style sandbox shenanigans?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

desudrive posted:

I've been interested in this for a while. Is there anything to work towards or is it mostly just "make your own adventure"-style sandbox shenanigans?

There are currently two major progression elements in the game: crossing environmental "walls" (wind, storm, and sand with the promise of more to come?) and a knowledge tree that locks you out of the best engines wings / parts, but it's mostly RNG based. You can get insanely lucky and roll a god stats item or you can curse your luck.

Basically it's still a big open sandbox more than a curated themepark type experience.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Raskolnikov posted:

The new world is very cool and they keep improving things. I'd say it's 90% new islands so far with 10% being old retuning ones.

Did they keep the Butt Plug island?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Turd Herder posted:

Did they keep the Butt Plug island?

I haven't seen it yet.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/we-are-sorry-and-we-promise-to-do-better/

Atreties WA Participant posted:

For the past few wipes, Vexus and I have been fairly soft on people. Our thought process was that since these past couple wipes have been fairly short, people would not have a ton of time to build back up or recover. As a result, we were more lenient with attacks, even leaving decent engine schematics for newer players and such, so they could progress more easily in the shorter wipe.

We realize now that this mentality was somewhat misguided, and we apologize. We have come to understand that these types of actions lead to posts like this and this and many others.

We believe that allowing soft mentalities like these to fester in this community will prevent this game from ever exploding in popularity and achieving its potential. Bossa has gone on record over and over that this is a PvP game, that PvE/safe zones or servers are impossible for WA, and that PvP is a core, integral part of the game as a result.

There are enormous gaming communities in games like Rust, Ark, Day Z, Conan Exiles and in those waiting for Crowfall and Camelot Unchained. These huge communities would absolutely love Worlds Adrift. It has the cutthroat, harsh gameplay and meaningful PvP that they crave. Hell, Sea of Thieves was even the #1 game on Twitch for multiple days and had millions of people interested, until they began to realize that there was no progression, that fights had no stakes, that there was no pain of loss or thrill of reward, that every ship was the same, and that islands were dull and nonmemorable.

Worlds Adrift solves so many of the problems these games have, like offline raiding, combat logging, uninteresting procedural worlds, boring resource gathering, boring travelling through the world… the list goes on. After playing Worlds Adrift, we can never go back to those other games. WA has forever ruined us by being so much better in almost every way.
If soft, “carebear” mentalities are allowed to fester and grow in Worlds Adrift, these mentalities would poison the well for the main potential audience that this game could draw from and eventually dominate. If these players do not hear about this game as an open PvP game, as a full loot MMO, as a game with meaningful combat, as a brutal and harsh game, and even as a game with a “toxic community”, then the game will never achieve its potential, never find its target audience, never explode and grow.

And so, I come to the ultimate point of this post: 0.1.9 marks the beginning of our Age of Brutality. We are done with mercy. We are done with leniency. We must do our part to purge the weak and soft mentalities from the game, for the good of its future. There are no more safe targets. There are no more “too low level” or “too nooby” of ships or players. We will be doing everything in our power to make sure the message comes through loud and clear what type of game Worlds Adrift is, and what type game it is not.

Pain of loss is an integral part of what makes this game great, and what makes players stick around for the long haul. So that is what we will provide… in droves.

Welcome to Worlds Adrift.

Brutal.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

These are the same guys who cry and bitch when they don't have any "soft" people to kill right? After they drove them all out of the game?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

LegionAreI posted:

These are the same guys who cry and bitch when they don't have any "soft" people to kill right? After they drove them all out of the game?

exactly the same.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
The problem is that none of that exists in worlds adrift. I love the idea behind the game, but it's not even a game currently. It's a half baked alpha which offers nothing more than going from island to island. Nothing is permanent, there is no system of control. For example TSA claimed to own entire parts of the map and no one could dispute us because there was no system in place to prove or disprove it.

Ultimately until there are systems of control in the higher areas and until there is a reason to login, the population will continue to be 200 at the top end. This post isn't meant to poo poo on the game, but just paint the valid truths that currently exist. They need another two years and someone at the company to come up with a "end game". It needs a reason to keep people playing because it sure isn't "let's fly for four hours looking for 1 of the 200 people online and hope we can find them".

This game ultimately has the same problem as LIF. It's that it requires players to be fun and work, and sadly WA doesn't have any currently. I checked their big "help us crash the servers" event. 250 people were playing, where as when the game released on steam as not a open beta lol, it had 1500 people on during the day. Sadly the company needs to understand they need to make more than a tech alpha to showcase cool poo poo, and actually make something called a game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They got about 50 people in Bossa Studios and I don't know what they're doing. I've seen 2 man teams make more visible progress. Since I started playing the only things of note they've added Swivel Guns and Atlas pulses. Yes they've made progress on stability and such, but that should be the work of a couple of dedicated programmers.

And the thing about player made islands is that they seem to have no oversight other than "looks cool". If the island is beautiful to look at but all the points of interest are empty it's a poo poo island. They haven't really issued a whole lot of guidance so sometimes you'll find a map that the size of a moon and all the rewards are hidden in 1 foot wide holes hidden behind shrubs.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 27, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Yeah I have no idea what is going on over there. We have 14 artist and programmers and literally nothing changes in 2 years. But it is obviously though now isn't it? It's that all the things that are changing are things in the background which you generally call pre alpha to alpha. Not "Closed Beta", which again is the issue. They are spending a ton of work on poo poo like the servers and island conversions, lag, and syncing. Which all does need to take place. But it should have been the things which already took place. The stuff we should be getting now is actual content.

For gently caress sake the entire population is still in Super Dimensional Goon Cross or whatever. They haven't even fixed the alliance poo poo even though it's worked on the website for 2 years. But by far the biggest issue is that there is no global chat if for nothing else than to turn it off. Sometimes you have to just see there are other people playing a game to help you continue to stick around playing it. In WA it's a ghost town and you couldn't prove it wasn't a single player game if your life depended on it. *Hey is that a mmo your playing? I don't see anyone else. Trust me they are out there!

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
The best time in this game is when Freeport Osiris existed for a couple weeks and there were almost always people to find in that one region

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
There is nothing to do but get better and better engines and cannons so you can shoot mans, which you get by flying from island to island. Eventually people start to realize if you have the engine and cannon range advantage you cant lose an engagement and people get bored. If you could claim islands or build static defenses and harvest on em that would be something. Or if there was like a special golden storm visible for the whole region and maybe regions over that signaled 10 minutes from now there gonna be a sick chest come and fight that would be something. Even just having to haul ores for processing to somewhere would be something "to do".

The game needs unique weapons or engines that can't be crafted or salvaged to incentivize pvp/player interaction and better balancing of the parts that can be crafted. Right now you just have an engine thats the fastest and most fuel efficient. Instead of a "best" engine there should be parameters that create meaningful choices.

It had a lot of promise but with no real design or game play direction players made their own fun which was roaming pirate squads. When pop drops this stops being engaging game play and it made a death spiral. Most of the negative reviews are this is yet another gank box like rust. Which leads the developers to point there limited productivity (for whatever reason) at trying to "fix" pvp. The only new item was one that would help defend against boarding parties. The only gameplay changes have made salvaging enemy ships less efficient and ships safe in blue bubbles. Really though the actual problem is there is nothing to do.

Anyway I think whats really happening is they are scrapping the whole thing and working on the engine/back end problems and assets for a new game so they can roll out a whole new PvE focused game. They seem to have no real interest in developing this one or providing any meaningful content and will be under the misguided impression that having PvP is what lead to all the negative reviews.

The most recent negative reviews all sound like this:

"Cool concept but theres nothing stopping people with a huge max tier ship with gliders coming to tier 1 and blowing up noobs preventing them from even leaving thier first island. Its a fun concept but when i build my first little ship and get 2 feet from the island i started on just to be onset by 4 people with gliders who respawn an infinite number of times its just not fun. Please dont buy this game YET. It might be great in the future, but right now its not really playable unless you were playing day 1 of the world wipe."

But really the root cause of the problem is there is nothing else to do once you have hit the end of the zone progression and tier 1 is the only place you can find anyone anymore.

dogsupremacy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

I liked this game at first but grew bored because (as state above) that their nothing to do past farm to get better weapons and destroy others work.