Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ashcans posted:

If the boot was leather, sure. If it was rubber, probably not.

If the boot was rubber you could construct a lure out of it and catch even more boots. Then simply sell the boots at port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm conflicted on this one, it could end very BWM depending on how the courts rule.

A $560 million lottery ticket is in jeopardy as the winner risks her fortune to remain anonymous

quote:

• The New Hampshire Lottery Commission wants to dismiss a request to remain anonymous from the woman won the Powerball jackpot of $560 million in January.
  • The unidentified winner is going to court in hopes of getting her winnings while maintaining anonymity.
  • The two parties are set to meet in court on Tuesday.

I totally understand the anonymity thing, do you really want to die on this ($560 million) hill?

Edit: It's BWL, looks like she could have done the trust route, but jumped the gun.

quote:

The winner could have remained anonymous had the ticket been signed in the name of a trust, but Jane Doe was not aware she could do that before she wrote her own name. After learning she won the jackpot, the woman went to the lottery's website and read the rules before discussing the situation with legal counsel.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 13, 2018

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I would think so. I'd think long and hard about just giving up the prize if I couldn't accept it anonymously.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

JayKay posted:

I'm conflicted on this one, it could end very BWM depending on how the courts rule.

A $560 million lottery ticket is in jeopardy as the winner risks her fortune to remain anonymous

I totally understand the anonymity thing, do you really want to die on this ($560 million) hill?

let's see, spending a little dosh for the chance that every acquaintance, scammer, charity, and family member doesn't get to climb out of the woodwork and into your rear end in a top hat? Sounds 100% worth taking a shot to me

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Almost seems like the a Streisand effect. People are going to be curious about the winner, and the winner will have lifetime in their life close enough to know and gossipy enough to blab. No way will they keep it under wraps.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

JayKay posted:

I totally understand the anonymity thing, but $560 million hill worth dying on?

Could be maybe to this person? I mean, you'd figure 250-300 mil would PROBABLY be enough to escape whatever circumstances you were afraid of, but maybe they don't want to uproot.

...or, I dunno. Maybe they're already rich. Maybe they're in protective custody. Maybe they're a senator. Maybe they're a lich and need to keep a low profile. I'm not judging.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
She's not going to give it up. She's just exploring whether the lottery commission can legally require her to go public.

This is about the only hope she has of living anything close to her former life. But if they say no, then she'll just wipe away her tears with all those birthday flowers she'll be able to afford.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

The part that gets me is that everyone knows where you live. Every rear end in a top hat in the state is going to "fall down" on your sidewalk and you'll be defending suits literally every day.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

NPR had a story about it last night and they mentioned that even the store that sold her the ticket was getting calls from people asking for money, and the store only got $75,000 for selling the winning ticket. It's sad, but if you win that kind of money, and you live in a smallish town, you're almost better off packing up and moving away to a place where no one knows you.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It gets brought up a lot about winning the lottery and having moochers come out of the woodwork, but is it really that hard to tell people 'no'? If relationships get ruined over the money it is more about the moocher not respecting boundaries than the winner being selfish. How are family members and door to door salesmen going to hassle you when you are traveling the world?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Panfilo posted:

It gets brought up a lot about winning the lottery and having moochers come out of the woodwork, but is it really that hard to tell people 'no'? If relationships get ruined over the money it is more about the moocher not respecting boundaries than the winner being selfish. How are family members and door to door salesmen going to hassle you when you are traveling the world?

Some people don't want to travel more than they can avoid it. I mean, in the US, if you're playing the lottery, you probably take the money and go if you have to, but I could understand not wanting to reveal it if you don't have to. I mean, people get loving murdered by family members over less than 10k sometimes, I wouldn't want the headache of trying to make sure the crazy survivalist branch of my family didn't head-hunt me over a few million.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Ultimately GWM because they sank their boat within rescue distance rather than in open water where their deaths would have significantly reduced their future earning potential. The fact they had no sailing experience and are starting out in the Caribbean means this voyage was basically Suicide By Boat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

It's the friendships and family that get to you. Money changes people, so even if you share you might see your brother's family break up or someone else loses everything and keeps trying to come back for more. If your friends are going through hard times you can help them out, but that changes the friendship's dynamic and now they're avoiding you out of shame. You suddenly have all this money, but everyone you're close to knows you did nothing to deserve it.

There was a great article about Andrew Jack Whittaker, who won 300 million and pretty much lost everyone close to him. I can't find it now, but he's pretty much living off a small fraction of that and wishes he'd never won.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Panfilo posted:

It's not about it being hard to say 'no', it's about how winning the lottery can destroy everything you knew and loved.

Most people don't want to nuke all of their relationships because they won the lottery. And people can get pretty goddamn selfish when one person in their circles is suddenly a bit richer than the rest, nevermind $560 million rich - a regular part of lottery horror stories is people you thought you could trust suddenly seeing you as a piggy bank.

And most people might travel a bit, but they also want an actual home and stability to go back to. And no matter where you pack up and move, there's always the risk that people will track you down and harass you.

I can't blame people for wanting to keep that particular pandora's box closed whenever possible.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GamingHyena posted:

Ultimately GWM because they sank their boat within rescue distance rather than in open water where their deaths would have significantly reduced their future earning potential. The fact they had no sailing experience and are starting out in the Caribbean means this voyage was basically Suicide By Boat.

I've spent hours sailing around the Caribbean in Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, so I'm probably ready to take to the seas myself.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah I'd do everything in my legal means to keep secret, but that failing, on balance, I'd still rather have mo' problems.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
:can: It's in the rules assumed to be accepted by participating in the lottery, no? I can see why people would want to challenge that, but if you don't like it, don't play.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I thought the thread had previously already established that dying was GWM though?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

General Probe posted:

I thought the thread had previously already established that dying was GWM though?

I don't know if I'd say that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's BWL for your descendants when they fight over who gets your dining room table & hold an eternal grudge against whoever gets it. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

General Probe posted:

Dying fast is good with money and life. Dying slowly is bad with both.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Haifisch posted:

It's BWL for your descendants when they fight over who gets your dining room table & hold an eternal grudge against whoever gets it. :v:

haha, joke's on them they don't exist

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mmmmmmm inheritance disputes are absolutely the best.

You get to see people's true colors without any of the hassle of winning the lottery.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Moneyball posted:

:can: It's in the rules assumed to be accepted by participating in the lottery, no? I can see why people would want to challenge that, but if you don't like it, don't play.

The rules are that the name and address of the winner claiming the prize has to be disclosed. However, a trust or other non personal entity can own a lottery ticket and claim the prize. What the winner is upset about is that she apparently already signed her name to the winning ticket before realizing that there were legal hijinks that could be played to protect her anonymity. Essentially she would like to unsign the ticket and claim the winnings through a trust.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I feel like it's time to report this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vzgl/you_just_won_a_656_million_dollar_lottery_what_do/chba4bf/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's the friendships and family that get to you. Money changes people, so even if you share you might see your brother's family break up or someone else loses everything and keeps trying to come back for more. If your friends are going through hard times you can help them out, but that changes the friendship's dynamic and now they're avoiding you out of shame. You suddenly have all this money, but everyone you're close to knows you did nothing to deserve it.

There was a great article about Andrew Jack Whittaker, who won 300 million and pretty much lost everyone close to him. I can't find it now, but he's pretty much living off a small fraction of that and wishes he'd never won.

Jack Whittaker's antics as a lottery winner make him less sympathetic of an example. He already had a net worth of over a million in a pretty poor part of the country before he won the lottery, repeatedly drove drunk, shot at people, stiffed some church, etc. Yeah it is tragic his niece overdosed and buying his favorite waitress a house ended up being a horrible monkey paw wish for her, but in the end it wasn't so much the lottery ruining Whittaker, but instead all the people around him.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

It's really not worth it. Read Motronic's link. People are going to be kidnapping your 3rd cousins for ransom.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
kidnapping my cousins is BWM.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

Jack Whittaker's antics as a lottery winner make him less sympathetic of an example. He already had a net worth of over a million in a pretty poor part of the country before he won the lottery, repeatedly drove drunk, shot at people, stiffed some church, etc. Yeah it is tragic his niece overdosed and buying his favorite waitress a house ended up being a horrible monkey paw wish for her, but in the end it wasn't so much the lottery ruining Whittaker, but instead all the people around him.

They glossed over the fact that he was drugged at a strip club while in possession of hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash. The man was not some angel who just wanted to help his community, he was getting into some good ol' boy antics when he was drugged and robbed.

By chance, I stayed in a hotel just down the road from the Pink Pony where the bartender drugged him. They were still operating, albeit without a liquor license.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Whittaker was not a good person, but it's still a cautionary tale about lotteries.

When you're talking hundreds of millions of dollars, I'm inclined to say the only way to 'win' is to put about 95% of it in a foundation and live off the rest. Your foundation can be for the preservation of titty bars, so it doesn't have to be altruistic. But that's just too much money to inject into someone's lifestyle without some serious poo poo going on.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
No you see, you need to win one of those lesser lotteries, like a million bucks or less. That's financial planning.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

DariusLikewise posted:

No you see, you need to win one of those lesser lotteries, like a million bucks or less. That's financial planning.

So what you are saying is that if I win a big lottery, all I need to do is invest that money into playing lots of smaller lotteries, so that I can win one of those and be fine?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

So what you are saying is that if I win a big lottery, all I need to do is invest that money into playing lots of smaller lotteries, so that I can win one of those and be fine?
Now you're thinking with lotteries!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DariusLikewise posted:

You tell everyone you won a million dollars, then use it to kickstart your dog heelies company and claim it's doing gangbusters. Money laundering except the IRS knows about it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DariusLikewise posted:

Haha that was the plan of the ultra lucky guy in the X-Files who didnt need $28 million so be just won for $100,000. Then threw away the ticket as the monthly payout would take too long.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

The rules are that the name and address of the winner claiming the prize has to be disclosed. However, a trust or other non personal entity can own a lottery ticket and claim the prize. What the winner is upset about is that she apparently already signed her name to the winning ticket before realizing that there were legal hijinks that could be played to protect her anonymity. Essentially she would like to unsign the ticket and claim the winnings through a trust.

When do you sign a ticket? Is that after you discover you won or do you need, like, a trust setup and ready to go when you buy the ticket?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it's when you redeem it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

When do you sign a ticket? Is that after you discover you won or do you need, like, a trust setup and ready to go when you buy the ticket?

If you read the back it's immediately upon purchase. That's the only way to contest ownership if you lose the physical slip.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
What I've heard about that woman (and I haven't actually read any articles) is that the centerpiece of her argument is that the lottery official website says to sign it as soon as you've realized it's a winner, and they don't make clear until later that signing your name means you can't claim anonymously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

This post is so good and so pertinent to the current convo on lottery tickets that I must quote post it:

quote:

Congratulations! You just won millions of dollars in the lottery! That's great.

Now you're hosed.

No really.

You are.

You're hosed.

If you just want to skip the biographical tales of woe of some of the math-tax protagonists, skip on down to the next comment, to see what to do in the event you win the lottery.

You see, it's something of an open secret that winners of obnoxiously large jackpots tend to end up badly with alarming regularity. Not the $1 million dollar winners. But anyone in the nine-figure range is at high risk. Eight-figures? Pretty likely to be screwed. Seven-figures? Yep. Painful. Perhaps this is a consequence of the sample. The demographics of lottery players might be exactly the wrong people to win large sums of money. Or perhaps money is the root of all evil. Either way, you are going to have to be careful. Don't believe me? Consider this:

Large jackpot winners face double digit multiples of probability versus the general population to be the victim of:

Homicide (something like 20x more likely)

Drug overdose

Bankruptcy (how's that for irony?)

Kidnapping

And triple digit multiples of probability versus the general population rate to be:

Convicted of drunk driving

The victim of Homicide (at the hands of a family member) 120x more likely in this case, ain't love grand?

A defendant in a civil lawsuit

A defendant in felony criminal proceedings

Believe it or not, your biggest enemy if you suddenly become possessed of large sums of money is... you. At least you will have the consolation of meeting your fate by your own hand. But if you can't manage it on your own, don't worry. There are any number of willing participants ready to help you start your vicious downward spiral for you. Mind you, many of these will be "friends," "friendly neighbors," or "family." Often, they won't even have evil intentions. But, as I'm sure you know, that makes little difference in the end. Most aren't evil. Most aren't malicious. Some are. None are good for you.

Jack Whittaker, a Johnny Cash attired, West Virginia native, is the poster boy for the dangers of a lump sum award. In 2002 Mr. Whittaker (55 years old at the time) won what was, also at the time, the largest single award jackpot in U.S. history. $315 million. At the time, he planned to live as if nothing had changed, or so he said. He was remarkably modest and decent before the jackpot, and his ship sure came in, right? Wrong.

Mr. Whittaker became the subject of a number of personal challenges, escalating into personal tragedies, complicated by a number of legal troubles.

Whittaker wasn't a typical lottery winner either. His net worth at the time of his winnings was in excess of $15 million, owing to his ownership of a successful contracting firm in West Virginia. His claim to want to live "as if nothing had changed" actually seemed plausible. He should have been well equipped for wealth. He was already quite wealthy, after all. By all accounts he was somewhat modest, low profile, generous and good natured. He should have coasted off into the sunset. Yeah. Not exactly.

Whittaker took the all-cash option, $170 million, instead of the annuity option, and took possession of $114 million in cash after $56 million in taxes. After that, things went south.

Whittaker quickly became the subject of a number of financial stalkers, who would lurk at his regular breakfast hideout and accost him with suggestions for how to spend his money. They were unemployed. No, an interview tomorrow morning wasn't good enough. They needed cash NOW. Perhaps they had a sure-fire business plan. Their daughter had cancer. A niece needed dialysis. Needless to say, Whittaker stopped going to his breakfast haunt. Eventually, they began ringing his doorbell. Sometimes in the early morning. Before long he was paying off-duty deputies to protect his family. He was accused of being heartless. Cold. Stingy.

Letters poured in. Children with cancer. Diabetes. MS. You name it. He hired three people to sort the mail. A detective to filter out the false claims and the con men (and women) was retained.

Brenda, the clerk who had sold Whittaker the ticket, was a victim of collateral damage. Whittaker had written her a check for $44,000 and bought her house, but she was by no means a millionaire. Rumors that the state routinely paid the clerk who had sold the ticket 10% of the jackpot winnings hounded her. She was followed home from work. Threatened. Assaulted.

Whittaker's car was twice broken into, by trusted acquaintances who watched him leave large amounts of cash in it. $500,000 and $200,000 were stolen in two separate instances. The thieves spiked Whittaker's drink with prescription drugs in the first instance. The second incident was the handiwork of his granddaughter's friends, who had been probing the girl for details on Whittaker's cash for weeks.

Even Whittaker's good-faith generosity was questioned. When he offered $10,000 to improve the city's water park so that it was more handicap accessible, locals complained that he spent more money at the strip club. (Amusingly this was true).

Whittaker invested quite a bit in his own businesses, tripled the number of people his businesses employed (making him one of the larger employers in the area) and eventually had given away $14 million to charity through a foundation he set up for the purpose. This is, of course, what you are "supposed" to do. Set up a foundation. Be careful about your charity giving. It made no difference in the end.

To top it all off, Whittaker had been accused of ruining a number of marriages. His money made other men look inferior, they said, wherever he went in the small West Virginia town he called home. Resentment grew quickly. And festered. Whittaker paid four settlements related to this sort of claim. Yes, you read that right. Four.

His family and their immediate circle were quickly the victims of odds-defying numbers of overdoses, emergency room visits and even fatalities. His granddaughter, the eighteen year old "Brandi" (who Whittaker had been giving a $2100.00 per week allowance) was found dead after having been missing for several weeks. Her death was, apparently, from a drug overdose, but Whittaker suspected foul play. Her body had been wrapped in a tarp and hidden behind a rusted-out van. Her seventeen year old boyfriend had expired three months earlier in Whittaker's vacation house, also from an overdose. Some of his friends had robbed the house after his overdose, stepping over his body to make their escape and then returning for more before stepping over his body again to leave. His parents sued for wrongful death claiming that Whittaker's loose purse strings contributed to their son's death. Amazingly, juries are prone to award damages in cases such as these. Whittaker settled. Again.

Even before the deaths, the local and state police had taken a special interest in Whittaker after his new-found fame. He was arrested for minor and less minor offenses many times after his winnings, despite having had a nearly spotless record before the award. Whittaker's high profile couldn't have helped him much in this regard.

In 18 months Whittaker had been cited for over 250 violations ranging from broken tail lights on every one of his five new cars, to improper display of renewal stickers. A lawsuit charging various police organizations with harassment went nowhere and Whittaker was hit with court costs instead.

Whittaker's wife filed for divorce, and in the process froze a number of his assets and the accounts of his operating companies. Caesars in Atlantic City sued him for $1.5 million to cover bounced checks, caused by the asset freeze.

Today Whittaker is badly in debt, and bankruptcy looms large in his future.

But, hey, that's just one example, right?

Wrong.

Nearly one third of multi-million dollar jackpot winners eventually declare bankruptcy. Some end up worse. To give you just a taste of the possibilities, consider the fates of:
  • Billie Bob Harrell, Jr.: $31 million. Texas, 1997. As of 1999: Committed suicide in the wake of incessant requests for money from friends and family. Winning the lottery is the worst thing that ever happened to me.

• William Bud Post: $16.2 million. Pennsylvania. 1988. In 1989: Brother hires a contract murderer to kill him and his sixth wife. Landlady sued for portion of the jackpot. Convicted of assault for firing a gun at a debt collector. Declared bankruptcy. Dead in 2006.

• Evelyn Adams: $5.4 million (won TWICE 1985, 1986). As of 2001: Poor and living in a trailer gave away and gambled most of her fortune.

• Suzanne Mullins: $4.2 million. Virginia. 1993. As of 2004: No assets left.

• Shefik Tallmadge: $6.7 million. Arizona. 1988. As of 2005: Declared bankruptcy.

• Thomas Strong: $3 million. Texas. 1993. As of 2006: Died in a shoot-out with police.

• Victoria Zell: $11 million. 2001. Minnesota. As of 2006: Broke. Serving seven year sentence for vehicular manslaughter.

• Karen Cohen: $1 million. Illinois. 1984. As of 2000: Filed for bankruptcy. As of 2006: Sentenced to 22 months for lying to federal bankruptcy court.

• Jeffrey Dampier: $20 million. Illinois. 1996. As of 2006: Kidnapped and murdered by own sister-in-law.

• Ed Gildein: $8.8 million. Texas. 1993. As of 2003: Dead. Wife saddled with his debts. As of 2005: Wife sued by her own daughter who claimed that she was taking money from a trust fund and squandering cash in Las Vegas.

• Willie Hurt: $3.1 million. Michigan. 1989. As of 1991: Addicted to cocaine. Divorced. Broke. Indicted for murder.

• Michael Klingebiel: $2 million. As of 1998 sued by own mother claiming he failed to share the jackpot with her.

• Janite Lee: $18 million. 1993. Missouri. As of 2001: Filed for bankruptcy with $700 in assets.

There are more followup posts that goes into great detail about what you should do.