Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sadly I suspect that given he's recently posted about being in Bangkok and he said ethnically Chinese, what he meant was a Thai woman from a Chinese background.

This also means if that family touches politics, he's very likely on the wrong side.

Yeah he’s going to end up at a fancy dinner in Hong Kong with the Shinawatras and it’s going to be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I side with Chaoshan Girl over Rich Lady. How dare you, Haier.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Many people from western countries would feel confused about this answer mainly due to the cultural differences between China and Western countries.

China has a high-context culture. In high context culture, people do not rely on langue alone for communication. Tone of voice, timing, facial expression, and behaving in ways considered acceptable in the society are major means of expression. While low context culture depend on the use of words to convey meaning and express complete, accurate meaning through appropriate word choice is important.

When Chinese people say "no why", what they really mean could depend on various circumstances. If they think the question is too direct so as to offend their privacy, they may simply say "no why" to avoid confrontation. Sometimes "no reason" could even mean "many reasons". For example, when you ask a Chinese people " why do you like this movie? " They may tell you "oh, no reason, I just love it!" While what it really means could be "I love it for a lot of reasons and I don't even know how to explain."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

barbecue at the folks posted:

Many people from western countries would feel confused about this answer mainly due to the cultural differences between China and Western countries.

China has a high-context culture. In high context culture, people do not rely on langue alone for communication. Tone of voice, timing, facial expression, and behaving in ways considered acceptable in the society are major means of expression. While low context culture depend on the use of words to convey meaning and express complete, accurate meaning through appropriate word choice is important.

When Chinese people say "no why", what they really mean could depend on various circumstances. If they think the question is too direct so as to offend their privacy, they may simply say "no why" to avoid confrontation. Sometimes "no reason" could even mean "many reasons". For example, when you ask a Chinese people " why do you like this movie? " They may tell you "oh, no reason, I just love it!" While what it really means could be "I love it for a lot of reasons and I don't even know how to explain."

Where's that copied from?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Where's that copied from?

An answer to a Quora. Why do native Chinese speakers use the phrase 不为什么 (no why)? Why isn't 没有理由 (no reason) used more often? Why is “no why” a response to questions, when there's a reason for everything? Gave me a chuckle.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm at an airport and there is a Chinese dude playing music from his mobile in a library corner explicitly meant as a quiet space. I'm just gonna go to the tax-free to kill time, I'm too spent for a face confortation right now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had to leave a coffee shop a few days ago because a mainlander rolled in and was blasting TV out of his phone, which is normal, but then he started watching videos of pigs being slaughtered and after a few minutes of ear-splitting pig screeching in pain it was clearly time to split.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
some of these are great

quote:

It's a reason for everything but sometimes some reasons do not matter to us, or we do not Care about them at all. For example, if you ask someone "why do you like eating potatoes" he may say"不为什么” cause this question is a little bit boring and is not important. Actually, the reason is "the potato tastes good with beef"
Plus, you must have noticed that Chinese like to say"maybe", it's because we don't think the stuff you ask matters at all and have no preference
boredom: exclusively chinese

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bajaj ask Your dad for wisdom on what to do regarding billionaire lady.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Kharnifex posted:

You can see the guy stop and get out and run, insane

Reminds me a bit of the Syrian video where that T72 gets hit by an atgm, cooks off and a couple of seconds later a guy storms out with burned off clothes.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Bajaj posted:

Goons. What do you do if you've been seeing an ethnically-Chinese woman for a little while and she likes you, but is super secretive about her job even though you can see she is super retardedly rich? What do you do if you stay the night at her house a few times and never bring your clothes, and shes tosses you a promotional clothing item from her job, and you Google the name of the company and find out she's a founding member of a billion-dollar company, owns a loving tower in a major city, and her name shows up listed in a few articles on big financial news sites (think Forbes,etc.)?

I'm not even making this up. She was saying "Wouldn't it be cool to just buy a village and get all the people there to work for you?" and I'm like "Oh, yeah, I think about that all the time..." She told me to stop by any time I am in the area and raid her fridge, because she has a chef come every night to prepare a 5-6 dish meal for her and she can't finish it. We had fun, but I regret Googling this because LMAO at my yearly budget being less than her monthly electric bill.

LMAO if you've never wanted to stomp on a baby because it was so adorable.

Hm interesting. Could make a couple of good stories if you follow up. If you survive.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
For clarity's sake Haier should probably come up with a nickname for his billionaire girlfriend (like Chaoshan Girl, The Mongol, Peanut Brittle Beauty etc). How about The Dowager? How old are we talking here?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Dowager Temptress

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

some of these are great

boredom: exclusively chinese

Chinese quora is special, some people care a fuckton about it, and some of the questions and answers are beyond parody

I don't have the time, energy or even care that much to go lookin anymore, I've left china behind and have made the great escape and I'm certainly not going to go looking for china in any way, shape or form, unless it is to bitch out a tourist for screaming loudly in a quiet shop or to tell some grannie to wait in line as she just wanders in front of me no why

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.yelp.com/biz/consulate-general-of-the-peoples-republic-of-china-san-francisco?sort_by=rating_asc

ayyyyyyy lmao

quote:

This review is for the security guards in the front. The way they speak to people is disgusting. This is the Chinese consulate so of course there will be people who don't speak English and don't understand English. The way the security guards handle situations, the way they speak to people is DISGUSTING. I witnessed one of them asking an elderly lady if she was stupid. It was the most vile exchange I've ever seen. It's absolutely unacceptable and unprofessional to speak to anyone that way. This is a place of government work, and this is the people they have working there is a joke. They need to be fired.

quote:

For those who wants to renew Chinese passport, make sure you make an appointment online before you go. They made me waited for 3.5 hours in line and that's all I find out. The people work there has terrible attitude, they either give you wrong information, run away from you if you walk to their window. Basically no one is willing to help you. The nicest people who work there are the guards.

quote:

They should really fire the security guard there. He is rude and treats Chinese like they are the rail workers . I saw several people simply asking a few questions (because this consulate is very bad with signage - there is basically none), he yelled at them like they are he second class citizens. One person complained about his attitude. He yells "you are crazy!". He forgot these Chinese paid him so he has this job. Also I don't understand Why not hire some Chinese speaking security guard for better communication.

lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
a guy I worked with had to go to the SF consulate and I told him not to, I told him to use a visa service, he said "how bad can it be?" and then he looked at the amazon and yelp reviews and said "wow it looks terrible", but he ultimately decided to go anyway "for the experience" and then told me yesterday "I wish to God I hadn't gone" and I was like ya

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

a guy I worked with had to go to the SF consulate and I told him not to, I told him to use a visa service, he said "how bad can it be?" and then he looked at the amazon and yelp reviews and said "wow it looks terrible", but he ultimately decided to go anyway "for the experience" and then told me yesterday "I wish to God I hadn't gone" and I was like ya

Was his car broken into?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Chomp8645 posted:

The Dowager Temptress

:pusheen:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Haier will marry the rich lady, have chaoshan girl's parents and family assasinated, divorce the rich lady for a decent payout, and marry chaoshan girl.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Rich lady buys chaoshan girl's village and he has to manage it while keeping them apart in a comical series of escapades that culminates with them both inviting him to the same fancy dinner party (the food is too oily and he shits himself).

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Kharnifex posted:

Haier will marry the rich lady, have chaoshan girl's parents and family assasinated, divorce the rich lady for a decent payout, and marry chaoshan girl.

no spoilers, rear end in a top hat, some of us are in a different time zone

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

P-Mack posted:

Rich lady buys chaoshan girl's village and he has to manage it while keeping them apart in a comical series of escapades that culminates with them both inviting him to the same fancy dinner party (the food is too oily and he shits himself).

whoa

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

bring back old gbs posted:

boar big

big boar boi

I didn’t realize this was in HK, by the way

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

P-Mack posted:

Need a mod in here to declare thread canon.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

P-Mack posted:

This needs to happen

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

boar big

big boar boi

Mr. President?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

P-Mack posted:

:perfect:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

P-Mack posted:

This post is like an entire movie playing in my head and you are amazing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ya it really is perfect how it hits every note

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ya it really is perfect how it hits every note

no it just hits the brown one

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

P-Mack posted:

:lol:

If Haier isn’t writing the good stuff he’s inspiring it

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
No no, it can’t be the same party. Has to be two different ones on the same night that he HAS to attend otherwise it’s the last straw. Of course he has to wear a tux to rich woman’s party and normal clothes (or maybe it’s a wacky costume party?) to CGs party so he has to always change clothes between them. CG and rich woman have to eventually catch him at the same time and ask what the hell is going on, though, so maybe the two parties should be in the same village ceremony hall or something.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I keep making write-ups about this woman and answering all your questions, but I have no idea what is considered "too much" information when dealing with someone who is not just a random Mainland office worker. I don't know how much or what to post about her and our talks, so I keep not hitting the post button after writing. Her and her family are NOT Thai, nor do they live in Thailand (thank gently caress, because I can't handle Thai women for more than five minutes). Her ancestors/grandparents/whoever left the Mainland before Mao ever came into power and then used their wealth to buy citizenship somewhere else (they don't live in Taiwan or HK, either). They are definitely "old money" rich and use it responsibly for their businesses and ventures, growing up with some class along the way. Everyone went to university in prestigious/expensive Western universities, and all have their own businesses and wealth.
She told me a lot about dating in the Mainland as a foreigner and rich independent woman (it was really bad), as well as how business is done there when dealing with the upper-levels of huge companies and corporations (also really bad). She LOL'd said the entire Mainland economy is dependent on ketamine addicts and you absolutely need to do ketamine if you want make any business deals. She doesn't like drinking or smoking, so she said she had a really hard time in China, HK, and Taiwan. She had a burning hatred for "new money" people, or tuhaos, and how uncivilized they can be, yet here they are in the way of making headway in business and you have to deal with people who "should be running the cigarette shop down the street, not in my office."

Anyway, she likes me for some reason and I am fine with that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Buy her an account.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Bajaj posted:

I keep making write-ups about this woman and answering all your questions, but I have no idea what is considered "too much" information when dealing with someone who is not just a random Mainland office worker. I don't know how much or what to post about her and our talks, so I keep not hitting the post button after writing. Her and her family are NOT Thai, nor do they live in Thailand (thank gently caress, because I can't handle Thai women for more than five minutes). Her ancestors/grandparents/whoever left the Mainland before Mao ever came into power and then used their wealth to buy citizenship somewhere else (they don't live in Taiwan or HK, either). They are definitely "old money" rich and use it responsibly for their businesses and ventures, growing up with some class along the way. Everyone went to university in prestigious/expensive Western universities, and all have their own businesses and wealth.
She told me a lot about dating in the Mainland as a foreigner and rich independent woman (it was really bad), as well as how business is done there when dealing with the upper-levels of huge companies and corporations (also really bad). She LOL'd said the entire Mainland economy is dependent on ketamine addicts and you absolutely need to do ketamine if you want make any business deals. She doesn't like drinking or smoking, so she said she had a really hard time in China, HK, and Taiwan. She had a burning hatred for "new money" people, or tuhaos, and how uncivilized they can be, yet here they are in the way of making headway in business and you have to deal with people who "should be running the cigarette shop down the street, not in my office."

Anyway, she likes me for some reason and I am fine with that.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Imagine how traumatized the security guards are. They must have some Incredible stories.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
How does one maintain their composure in a ketamine-fueled business meeting? Like, could you take uppers to make yourself less tranquilized to give yourself an edge in negotiation? Do dissociatives work that way? Can a person be hopped up on amphetamines and still get K-holed? Is getting K-holed together the point of the gathering?

Mad Men business deals on ketamine is such an odd scene. Have any of you expat goons had to do ketamine with business men for your job? How would you navigate that challenge if you had to do it? Just snort it and hope for the best? Do pro negotiators have ketamine strategies?

Like it's a common social skill to be able to handle yourself under the influence of alcohol, and similarly, the difference between a n00b stoner and veteran is how well they can avoid paranoid freakouts. I imagine in the 80's, doing coke socially was something you had to know how to do. Ketamine's a weird drug, so I'm struggling to imagine what these meetings are like.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
most of the material negotiations are done so just seal a deal of shame and final details that would be bad for either of you if recorded?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Escape Addict posted:

How does one maintain their composure in a ketamine-fueled business meeting? Like, could you take uppers to make yourself less tranquilized to give yourself an edge in negotiation? Do dissociatives work that way? Can a person be hopped up on amphetamines and still get K-holed? Is getting K-holed together the point of the gathering?

Mad Men business deals on ketamine is such an odd scene. Have any of you expat goons had to do ketamine with business men for your job? How would you navigate that challenge if you had to do it? Just snort it and hope for the best? Do pro negotiators have ketamine strategies?

Like it's a common social skill to be able to handle yourself under the influence of alcohol, and similarly, the difference between a n00b stoner and veteran is how well they can avoid paranoid freakouts. I imagine in the 80's, doing coke socially was something you had to know how to do. Ketamine's a weird drug, so I'm struggling to imagine what these meetings are like.

having hung around a lot of these sorts of dickheads (though, admittedly, not ketamine abusers), these sorts of deals typically happen one of two ways:

1) you do the negotiations high and your less idiotic subordinates work out details later. if you have proposed something truly insane or impossible, your subordinates will come up with a convenient excuse and you can gracefully say that it was a great idea but we forgot this important detail in our excitement. we should put our heads together again sometime soon, though, it was truly an amazing time.
2) you do the negotiations sober and seal the deal by getting really high or drunk. if someone freaks out during this after-party, nobody will sign poo poo/return calls/etc and the deal will die.

fundamentally it's a dumbass test of character. you can't even call it a test of manhood anymore because female entrepreneurs and businesspeople dive into it just as enthusiastically as many of their male counterparts and give similarly absurd justifications like "i need to know what someone is made of" or "i need to know i can trust them" and pretend like they're not being arbitrary, corrupt cocklickers by coercing people into compromising themselves for no practical reason.

for my part i have learned to immediately walk out the door if this starts going down. the people who pull that horseshit are almost always massively unreliable and dishonest, and half the time they're super petty and vengeful if they feel like they've been wronged somehow (spoilers: they always will). if you're not sure you can trust me, give my company a smaller pilot contract so i can prove we get poo poo done. that's how normal people do this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ok but like what if I like good business deals but also really like special k?

• Locked thread