Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Those are actually just photographs of normal Japanese apartments, classrooms and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Try https://www.thingiverse.com/for grabbing the files you need.
Search there for OpenForge, there's tons of good models for tabletop RPG stuff.

You can get a perfectly good printer for a few hundred bucks, but yes, the 3d printing thread is the place to look for that.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
lil' book dude

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hey, is there any significant difference between using super glue and PVA to glue some cork to a base?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

S.J. posted:

Hey, is there any significant difference between using super glue and PVA to glue some cork to a base?
Yeah, superglue is waterproof once dry.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ilor posted:

Yeah, superglue is waterproof once dry.

I meant, like, as far as the cork is concerned. I've not really used it before.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Since we're talking about basing, if I want to paint my base separately from my mini, how do I attach them at the end, once the base is painted? Do I just scratch away some paint to use plastic glue? Or is there another trick?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm heading to the local Dick Blick store tomorrow in search of some Series 7 brushes, and I was wondering if there are any other essentials I should grab while there? Currently I'm just using an army painter brush for most of my work and a detail brush for facial features, etc. I thin with water, and while I have a wet pallet, lately I've just been using a cheap wheel-tray thing for mixing paints.

I've briefly experimented with lamian medium, but I haven't been overly impressed. I have a modest collection of citadel and vallejo paints, but my workspace is pretty small so I can't go nuts on different paints. I would like to try more blending techniques, is there an additive that will slow the drying process for these types of model paints?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Master's Brush Soap is good for brush cleanup if you don't have that. You can get retarder medium to slow drying. Vallejo airbrush flow improver also can work some to that effect while also providing thinning.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
On the subject of glues. Is it actually better to use the plastic glue for putting together your plastic minis, or will super glue actually do just fine? I obviously know that the idea behind plastic glue is once it is set and cures, the pieces are more or less one piece. But I don't know whether super glue would have the same overall effect or not.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Beast Pussy posted:

Since we're talking about basing, if I want to paint my base separately from my mini, how do I attach them at the end, once the base is painted? Do I just scratch away some paint to use plastic glue? Or is there another trick?

I almost always make and paint bases totally separate from the mini, and whenever I do I pin them with at least one point of contact if not two or more. It's probably excessive but I like to ensure that there's a direct connection to the base itself as opposed to the basing material, and obviously the pin also works to generally secure the basing material even further. So, stick a pin in the mini's foot/feet, drill holes in the base and get a good dry fit, then slather a little super glue along the pin and bottom of the feet and jam it in real quick. This is kind of useless advice if you're using really solid basing material you can't punch a pin vise through like actual rock, but in that case your basing material is solid enough to just go ahead and glue the mini to it. Either way, probably go with super glue and not plastic glue.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Arthil posted:

On the subject of glues. Is it actually better to use the plastic glue for putting together your plastic minis, or will super glue actually do just fine? I obviously know that the idea behind plastic glue is once it is set and cures, the pieces are more or less one piece. But I don't know whether super glue would have the same overall effect or not.

Super glue is perfectly fine for assembling plastic models. It won't create the same type of bond as plastic would, as plastic basically melts both sides and causes them to fuse together, but it's much easier to separate pieces that have been super-glued together if you need to.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah I think like 3/4 of the time I'm using super glue it's because I plan to break the bond later.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I don't know why anyone would willingly subject themselves to using super glue on a plastic kit when plastic glue exists. Madness.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I use plastic glue almost exclusively, only resorting to the super glue gel if something absolutely requires it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I don't know why anyone would willingly subject themselves to using super glue on a plastic kit when plastic glue exists. Madness.

I do my assembly in the presence of living people, and don't want them to die from the toxic glue fumes that I am now immune to.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
So I think Vallejo Metal Color Gold is too gold for the normal flesh shade type wash.

Obviously that's before any cleanup, but it's bad nonetheless. This guy's going in the Bad Decisions Bucket, and I'm wondering if maybe this shade of gold wouldn't be better served with something more in the grey/black family of shading. Anyone worked with this paint before on mans?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

S.J. posted:

Nope. I used PVA to glue down bits of cork sheet to my bases for Infinity.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Dick Blick trip report: They don't stock the Series 7's. Ordered them and some flow improver and retarder from Amazon.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Beast Pussy posted:

I pin the mini when I paint it and the base separately. Easy and straightforward.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Shadin posted:

So I think Vallejo Metal Color Gold is too gold for the normal flesh shade type wash.

Obviously that's before any cleanup, but it's bad nonetheless. This guy's going in the Bad Decisions Bucket, and I'm wondering if maybe this shade of gold wouldn't be better served with something more in the grey/black family of shading. Anyone worked with this paint before on mans?

Not yet (my local hobby store isn't stocking it, citing complaints*), but I might suggest using a different color shade than black or grey. Those don't usually play nice with gold. However, you can get excellent effects from purple or green ink washes, thinned well and built up in layers in and by the recesses.
You could also try one of GW's Gloss washes, like Reikland Fleshshade or Agrax Earthshade Gloss. Both of those work nicely with gold metallics, in that they leave the surface shiny but tend to run straight into recesses.
Oh, and for highlights, go with sparing touches of a bright silver on the uppermost points, to give the gold more of a glinty appearance.
(This doesn't actually look that bad, btw. The shade is roughly comparable to the GW studio paint job on Robot Gilliman; it just needs more blending in some of the more obvious areas, like by the ankles.)

(* Apparently the pigments in several of the Vallejo Metal Color "brown" metals tend to get clumpy, according to some of this FLGS's other customers. This was a problem with their Metal Air colors for sure, but I've got a bottle of the Metal Color Copper and it's one of my all-time favorite metallic paints, nary a clump in sight. So I guess the moral here is, umm...don't listen to other people?)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

(* Apparently the pigments in several of the Vallejo Metal Color "brown" metals tend to get clumpy, according to some of this FLGS's other customers. This was a problem with their Metal Air colors for sure, but I've got a bottle of the Metal Color Copper and it's one of my all-time favorite metallic paints, nary a clump in sight. So I guess the moral here is, umm...don't listen to other people?)

This is true to varying degrees for all the Metal Color paints. The pigment is pretty eager to separate out, and you'll get a pretty thick layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

I've had a bunch of the MC (which of course is not VMC, because why be simple) paints for a few months. The secret is to shake the living hell out of them before you use them, and everything goes back into solution pretty quick - check the bottom of the bottle while shaking and watch the paint particles fall off to see when to stop.

I would very strongly suggest dropping an agitator of some sort into any Metal Color bottles.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So I'm digging the Army Painter paints I've got and will probably be rolling with them cause of ease-of-purchase(my FLGS is stocking them). But they do got that problem where they need some agitators so they shake right.

Anyone buy some like beads or something off of amazon, or marine grade stainless steel ball bearings? Wanting to see if I can buy a good lot of them and just pop a couple into each new bottle.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

A lot of time, especially with something like two handed swords or guns separate from the arms, I will superglue one of the parts into place to speed assembly. The plastic glue lets you wiggle the parts around for a while, while the superglue lets me prevent sag. When I am trying to like up 3 parts, just loving fixing one down with superglue is way easier than trying to hold 4 joints at once in perfect alignment.

I also use superglue for poo poo that's likely to sag if I look away, because I am not holding plastic glue in place for several minutes.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Arthil posted:

So I'm digging the Army Painter paints I've got and will probably be rolling with them cause of ease-of-purchase(my FLGS is stocking them). But they do got that problem where they need some agitators so they shake right.

Anyone buy some like beads or something off of amazon, or marine grade stainless steel ball bearings? Wanting to see if I can buy a good lot of them and just pop a couple into each new bottle.

I've bought bags of 150 stainless steel balls, but be careful, it's not unheard of that they're sold that way, but end up rusting within weeks.

Either choose a quality supplier, or consider glass

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Yeast posted:

I've bought bags of 150 stainless steel balls, but be careful, it's not unheard of that they're sold that way, but end up rusting within weeks.

Either choose a quality supplier, or consider glass

It's why I was asking about marine grade stainless steel balls.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
I got some of these when I transferred my GW paints into dropper bottles, they worked well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00J...HTMGGQSQRQQP27V

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Use hematite. It's already oxidized, so it can't rust! I bought these and they have worked out well as far as I can tell: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J9F8ILU/

They're also much denser than glass, so they should let you shake your paints up real good.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Both of those look great! For the hematite, what size works best you think?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The one I linked should fit in all Vallejo-style dropper bottles (i.e. probably every dropper unless you use a really obscure brand). You can’t really go any larger though.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So 8mm then? Just wanted to be sure.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yup. I think Vallejo bottles have a 9mm interior diameter neck, so it just fits.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Far be it from me to question Duncan himself, but why doesn't he use a wet palette? At least in his videos. Is it simply because GW doesn't make a wet palette like Privateer Press does, therefore he's not allowed to use it? I know he uses the Citadel dry palette pads, but every video I can see wasted dry paint on the palette.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A lot of painters just don't use wet palettes. It's not a requirement. It's not so much saving wasted paint, more than it keeps the same color you mixed around longer so you don't have to try and remake that exact shade when you sit down again.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've tried using a wet palette. It's just too much hassle.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I used one at first, but moved away from it after I started to use my airbrush.

For multi joint model assembly I'm a big fan of little green stuff balls with super glue on either side.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I just used I use a paper towel and square of parchment in Tupperware and it takes me an extra minute at the start of painting.

I like that I can work with a single dollop of paint for so much longer.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

LifeLynx posted:

Far be it from me to question Duncan himself, but why doesn't he use a wet palette? At least in his videos. Is it simply because GW doesn't make a wet palette like Privateer Press does, therefore he's not allowed to use it? I know he uses the Citadel dry palette pads, but every video I can see wasted dry paint on the palette.

Him not paying for the paint might be a factor, also I think I read or heard him say in an interview that a lot of the Tip of the Day minis never get finished paint jobs anyway since they're just for the videos.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I might get 30 minutes of painting in so a wet pallet is just one more step in getting something finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I'm following this tutorial on how to paint a starweaver. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=widvw_IAb4k&t=910s
The artist says that he applies a wash to the cracks and then removes the wash from the armor 30 minutes later. How do you remove a wash like that without damaging the paint underneath?