Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m from Australia :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fame Douglas posted:

Why is it always people from the UK that are hilariously misinformed about EU law?
They've messed up their brains by eating the wrong-shaped bananas.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I still have a LL Bean backpack my parents bought me for middle school. I mean, my wife uses it for something, or my brother does...the only reason I replaced it was that backpacks from the 90s weren't built to hold laptops. The only thing that was ever wrong with it is that some stitching would come loose around the zipper, and loose threads would get caught in it.

:same:

That backpack lasted me from 7th grade until i was finished with undergrad, then i gave it to my brother to use at university. I think my parents still have it somewhere.

LL Bean is also the only store I buy jeans from anymore since they are reasonably priced, last for years of daily wear and I can easily buy multiple pairs which are exactly my size without digging though pile after pile at the retail stores.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The freeport store has such a big fishing department that they have actual literal fish living in the store.

This is true, but it is their flagship store. And that store also has a shitload of floorspace for fashion/every day clothes. They sell dress shirts and poo poo too.

At my local store they have a small rack of fishing poles, which seems more like an afterthought or to keep their brand image

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Franz posted:

:same:

That backpack lasted me from 7th grade until i was finished with undergrad, then i gave it to my brother to use at university. I think my parents still have it somewhere.

LL Bean is also the only store I buy jeans from anymore since they are reasonably priced, last for years of daily wear and I can easily buy multiple pairs which are exactly my size without digging though pile after pile at the retail stores.

Thanks for the tip, I've been super disappointed at the quality of jeans the last few years with every brand I buy lasting maybe a year tops. Meanwhile my LL Bean backpack I had since the mid 90's for highschool is still in perfect shape.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Costco has a really generous return policy too but I don't see them getting rid of it anytime soon. You might argue that requiring a membership there helps cut down on dishonesty but they waive the fee if you use their card and spend a fees worth of money in a year (so a hundred bucks or whatever, not hard to accomplish).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Costco has a really generous return policy too but I don't see them getting rid of it anytime soon. You might argue that requiring a membership there helps cut down on dishonesty but they waive the fee if you use their card and spend a fees worth of money in a year (so a hundred bucks or whatever, not hard to accomplish).

Costco already modified their electronics return policy due to rampant abuse.

Also to get the fee waved you’d need to spend $5000/yr exclusively at Costco which is actually a lot.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Thanks for the tip, I've been super disappointed at the quality of jeans the last few years with every brand I buy lasting maybe a year tops. Meanwhile my LL Bean backpack I had since the mid 90's for highschool is still in perfect shape.

I don't want to turn this into Jeans Thread, but I gotta ask: What are you doing in Jeans that they're falling apart so fast? I got a pair of bog standard Levis 511 Line 8's that get 4 out of 5 work day usage and they're faded and a bit rough but they haven't lost a single primary stitch in at least 2.5 years and I"ve done some pretty active work in these things. I could understand if you're in construction but then you're buying all cotton Dickies and we're not having that discussion because you're not buying jeans at LL Bean in the first place.

Again, I'm not going at you, I'm just curious.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FCKGW posted:

Costco already modified their electronics return policy due to rampant abuse.

Also to get the fee waved you’d need to spend $5000/yr exclusively at Costco which is actually a lot.

The card I have with Costco only requires I spend the equivalent in member fees, not 5, 000

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I don't want to turn this into Jeans Thread, but I gotta ask: What are you doing in Jeans that they're falling apart so fast? I got a pair of bog standard Levis 511 Line 8's that get 4 out of 5 work day usage and they're faded and a bit rough but they haven't lost a single primary stitch in at least 2.5 years and I"ve done some pretty active work in these things. I could understand if you're in construction but then you're buying all cotton Dickies and we're not having that discussion because you're not buying jeans at LL Bean in the first place.
My assumption is that he either has to crawl around on concrete, or go marching through the woods. Those are two things that can tear up even good sturdy jeans.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I mean if you want to make back the membership cost of the executive membership, ya you would have to spend 6k...

But the reduced cost of gas alone sound equal the value of the membership in a year.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Again, I'm not going at you, I'm just curious.

I'm just a bog standard office worker but all my jeans, specially levis, have the crotch/inseam along my right leg blow out within 10-12 months, always the exact same place :( I'm not even fat, I'm like a 30/32 or something. I quite often find myself sitting half cross legged with my right leg up and my left down so maybe that's putting extra stress on the right inseam/crotch area?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I mean if you want to make back the membership cost of the executive membership, ya you would have to spend 6k...

But the reduced cost of gas alone sound equal the value of the membership in a year.

Probably depends on your area. The average American drivers uses somewhere on the order of 666 gallons of gas a year, so even when you're saving whole 5 or 10 cents a gallon off nearby prices (which is typical for costco gas stations around here), you're only coming out $33.30-$66.60 a year ahead on that.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Clothes are being made a lot cheaper than a decade ago, it's a large noticeable difference in quality. It got hit on earlier in the thread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Check your clothes to see if they are double stitched or not. In the 1980s all mid range and above clothes would have two rows of stitches on places that would have heavy wear, for example on your coat front where the zip and buttons are. These days you are lucky if even high end is stitched properly.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

fishmech posted:

Probably depends on your area. The average American drivers uses somewhere on the order of 666 gallons of gas a year, so even when you're saving whole 5 or 10 cents a gallon off nearby prices (which is typical for costco gas stations around here), you're only coming out $33.30-$66.60 a year ahead on that.

I have a credit card that gives me 5% cash back on gas purchases at the pump. That cashback doesn't apply to gas stations affiliated with grocery stores or warehouse clubs (such as Costco). There are other cards that offer 3% or higher cashback, with as far as I know the same restrictions. People savvy enough to mix/max annual club fees vs gas discounts seem likely to have a card that provides better savings than the club discount, with the advantage of not being locked into gas purchases at a club.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I JUST checked the pants I'm wearing right now since I just posted about my pant-problem and found a good 3" long rip along my right inner thigh. How embarrassing.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I JUST checked the pants I'm wearing right now since I just posted about my pant-problem and found a good 3" long rip along my right inner thigh. How embarrassing.

Thicc thighs save lives.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Slack Lagoon posted:

This is true, but it is their flagship store. And that store also has a shitload of floorspace for fashion/every day clothes. They sell dress shirts and poo poo too.

At my local store they have a small rack of fishing poles, which seems more like an afterthought or to keep their brand image

I think at this point LL bean might be struggling with identity in general if they are dumping one of the policies that is generally their core identity but someone was saying it traditionally was preppy clothing where really for most of it's run, even in the recent past was premium quality outdoor clothing, generally more towards "premium as in actually good, like someone working in an industry would wear" instead of "premium as in fashion or for rich people".

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
They started making a lot of stuff overseas as well, and the difference is noticeable. I wish there were a place to buy good-quality 100% cotton women's shirts that are long and don't shrink. Almost everything has lycra in it now. :argh:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Check your clothes to see if they are double stitched or not. In the 1980s all mid range and above clothes would have two rows of stitches on places that would have heavy wear, for example on your coat front where the zip and buttons are. These days you are lucky if even high end is stitched properly.

I have t-shirts from high school (graduated 01) still in good shape while newly purchased one last a bit less than a year. I've been wondering what fast fashion had done to the secondary rag / foreign reuse market.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why would you need that market to exist, when every retailer can sell distressed vintage duplicates of your old shirts?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

i bought a sewing kit for minor fixes

uniqlo used to be p good for quality but now they sneak in poly-blends if you're not paying attention

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Why would you need that market to exist, when every retailer can sell distressed vintage duplicates of your old shirts?

Used clothing (after being run through a shredder) get used as rags in industrial spaces and sold in bulk. Clothing that makes it through the shedder whole often gets resold / worn over seas after being picked from the bulk rag bundles. Or why is that chinese man wearing a Childern's show X tshirt?

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 13, 2018

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BrandorKP posted:

Used clothing (after being run through a shredder) get used as rags in industrial space and sold in bulk. Clothing that makes it through the shedder whole often gets resold / worn over seas after being picked from the bulk rag bundles. Or why is that chinese man wearing a Childern's show X tshirt?

No, they actually just sell bundles of old clothes in third world markets. No need for it to "escape the shredder."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That too. They try to avoid that though, so they can sell them new stuff.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You are both right, it gets shipped unsorted to China or Africa, people on slave wages sort through it and it either gets sold or shredded for use in China or burnt as fuel in Africa.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just think of how many homes in Africa could be powered by a mere 1,000kg of Doobies Dog House promotional T shirts!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Slack Lagoon posted:

They'll refund the difference between the cost of the executive and regular memberships if you don't spend enough to make it worth it.

...if you remember to go ask for it. They don't do it automatically.

So you might as well not bother unless you're willing to pay an extra $60/year for the convenience of not having to have another Visa card.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I hate Costco gas because everyone around here min/maxes their gas purchase to the point where they’re time is valueless as long as they find the absolute lowest price and as a consequence the Costco gas lines are always a minimum 20 minute wait no matter what time you go.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have this long-sleeved t-shirt I bought when snowboarding more than a decade ago, I wear it somewhat frequently when the weather is cold, and it's still in incredibly good condition. Whereas most of my random (cheap) t-shirts seem lucky to handle a dozen washings before they get a hole.

Goddamn I wish I could get more of that shirt. I should probably start paying more attention to quality rather than just buying everything from Uniqlo.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
So looks like I just dodged a bullet. I worked for Barnes and Noble for eight years as a sales lead and left to start a new job just last week. And i found out today that a bunch of my former coworkers, people who have been working at the store longer than me all lost their jobs. Can't say we didn't see this coming, but I'm surprised that the company is letting go of it's senior staff, the people who actually, you know, get poo poo done and know the merchandise in a first round of cuts.

http://fortune.com/2018/02/13/barnes-noble-layoff-workers-declining-sales/

quote:

In a round of company-wide layoffs, Barnes & Noble (BKS, -2.13%) has cut lead cashiers, digital leads and other experienced workers. Workers discovered the news when they showed up to work on Monday only to learn they no longer had jobs, CNBC reports.

The nationwide book retailer has 632 stores nationally and as of April 29, 2017, employed about 26,000 people. The number of workers affect has not yet been determined.

“[Barnes & Noble] has been reviewing all aspects of the business, including our labor model,” a spokeswoman told CNBC.

“Given our sales decline this holiday, we’re adjusting staffing so that it meets the needs of our existing business and our customers. As the business improves, we’ll adjust accordingly.”

During the 2017 holiday season, sales dropped more than 6 percent to $953 million from last year’s. Same-store sales fell 6.4 percent, and online sales slid 4.5 percent.

The cuts coincide with the appointment of Timothy Mantel as the new chief merchandising officer.

They also come as Barnes & Noble faces greater competition from corporate giants like (WMT, +1.44%) Walmart and (AMZN, +2.03%) Amazon, who’ve secured a larger share of the books market. Walmart plans to expand into to e-books later this year, and Amazon is opening up its own bookstores.

The future of Barnes & Noble has come under greater speculation over the past few months, with top investor Sandell Asset Management urging a sale.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FCKGW posted:

I hate Costco gas because everyone around here min/maxes their gas purchase to the point where they’re time is valueless as long as they find the absolute lowest price and as a consequence the Costco gas lines are always a minimum 20 minute wait no matter what time you go.

I can't even remember the last time I got Costco gas. The lines and associated traffic assholery are just too much for me to want to deal with.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The one in south Seattle seems manageable? I usually fill up at lunch and there’s not much wait beyond maybe a car or two.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My wife will drive 10 minutes out of her way to fill the 11 gallon tank in her car with gas that's 10 cents per gallon cheaper.

She drives a plug-in hybrid that she only has to fill up every two weeks or so.

I don't get it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

eyebeem posted:

My wife will drive 10 minutes out of her way to fill the 11 gallon tank in her car with gas that's 10 cents per gallon cheaper.

She drives a plug-in hybrid that she only has to fill up every two weeks or so.

I don't get it.

Yeah this is absolutely a thing and I'd love a psychological study on it. I know a few other people that are not hyper-frugal in any other aspect of their lives, no coupon clipping, no driving across town to get canned tuna cheaper at the other supermarket, nothing penny-pinching at all but will waste an hour to save pennies on gas.

Have previous fuel crisis traumatized some people? It's always gas, and it's always driving as far as a neighbouring town to fill up because they looked it up online and it's 10 cents a liter cheaper over there!!!!!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Phlairdon posted:

So looks like I just dodged a bullet. I worked for Barnes and Noble for eight years as a sales lead and left to start a new job just last week. And i found out today that a bunch of my former coworkers, people who have been working at the store longer than me all lost their jobs. Can't say we didn't see this coming, but I'm surprised that the company is letting go of it's senior staff, the people who actually, you know, get poo poo done and know the merchandise in a first round of cuts.

http://fortune.com/2018/02/13/barnes-noble-layoff-workers-declining-sales/
I'd guess it's because the senior staff have higher wages, so the typical short-sighted thinking cuts them first. "[Barnes & Noble] has been reviewing all aspects of the business, including our labor model," is code for "we're slashing staffing for more money now, even though it'll gently caress us over in the long run."

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this is absolutely a thing and I'd love a psychological study on it. I know a few other people that are not hyper-frugal in any other aspect of their lives, no coupon clipping, no driving across town to get canned tuna cheaper at the other supermarket, nothing penny-pinching at all but will waste an hour to save pennies on gas.

Have previous fuel crisis traumatized some people? It's always gas, and it's always driving as far as a neighbouring town to fill up because they looked it up online and it's 10 cents a liter cheaper over there!!!!!!
I think it's partially that and partially because it's a more socially acceptable thing to penny-pinch than coupons or single grocery items(especially since giant pickups and SUVs with correspondingly huge gas tanks have become so common).

I don't really get it either.

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Haifisch posted:

I'd guess it's because the senior staff have higher wages, so the typical short-sighted thinking cuts them first. "[Barnes & Noble] has been reviewing all aspects of the business, including our labor model," is code for "we're slashing staffing for more money now, even though it'll gently caress us over in the long run."

Oh, no doubt. I shouldn't say that I'm surprised, because that sort of short sightedness was something that I've witnessed for years from that company. Did the leads get a higher pay? Yes (but not much). But they were also the ones that were the most efficient and making the most sales. In the end, this act will only cost them more and dig them deeper into a hole.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

There aren't many other products people but that are priced like gas. Like there aren't other things people buy often that have price volatility of over 100% like gas sometimes does.

So like, in some more trusting world where people didn't check all around for the deals it'd be simple for a gas station to say "yeah, gas is 4.32 today" and everyone just to say "yeah, that must be right". So a lot of people are paranoid of that sort of scam and have to shop around a lot. The paradox is that since people shop around like that they never will find any real deals, but if people stopped shopping around so much every gas station would definitely run wildly divergent price scams. So there is sort of no way to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Phlairdon posted:

Oh, no doubt. I shouldn't say that I'm surprised, because that sort of short sightedness was something that I've witnessed for years from that company. Did the leads get a higher pay? Yes (but not much). But they were also the ones that were the most efficient and making the most sales. In the end, this act will only cost them more and dig them deeper into a hole.

It's a natural part of the death spiral of a company (it happened at Circuit City, Borders, etc. in recent years).