Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I was actually soy boy'd at work the other day. I mentioned I was going to give up dairy for soy milk, part because its healthier and part because I'm sick of my family not only drinking a gallon every day but also leaving a mouthful of it left in the bottle, just loving finish the rest of it you assholes! But I know they wont touch soy. To which a coworker interjected with "bro you'll get tits if you do that"

Homie, I'm fat. I ALREADY GOT TITS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I Before E posted:

People have got to find a better way to say "this is a caricature" than going right to the blackface comparisons

Nerds have it just as bad as African Americans did at the height of blackface in Hollywood. Don'tcha know?!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Edit: wrong tab,

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I Before E posted:

People have got to find a better way to say "this is a caricature" than going right to the blackface comparisons

Entitled white dorks making offensively dumb comparisons between their status as nerds and the plight of black Americans is a proud tradition going back at least as far as Revenge of the Nerds, which really sets the standard for nerd entitlement. Anthony Edwards in that movie basically lives the incel fantasy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Reminds me of the Robot Chicken sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9D3FQlekrM

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SgtSteel91 posted:

So Jim argues the AAA game industry should just dispense with the bullshit and just make their Destinys/Anthems/Call of Duty’s free to play

https://youtu.be/vcebekI9F7g

:yeah:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

they don't even have the decency to call it pimpleface

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I Before E posted:

Yeah, but "caricature" doesn't carry the extra meaning of "This is oppressive and should be stopped."

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Speaking of hbomb's videos and that Paul Fartson guy or whoever he is...

Okay, I TRY not to judge on appearance. But how does the "omg testosterone males A++, no girly men, no beta soy cucks here, only manly men eating bull testicles" movement end up following someone who calls himself T-Zone Alpha GRR Man-- but looks like the most thin-feminine-faced, ephemeral looking twink with cum-gently caress-me sunken eyes and big, thick, juicy dick-sucking lips?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lornekates posted:

Okay, I TRY not to judge on appearance. But how does the "omg testosterone males A++, no girly men, no beta soy cucks here, only manly men eating bull testicles" movement end up following someone who calls himself T-Zone Alpha GRR Man-- but looks like the most thin-feminine-faced, ephemeral looking twink with cum-gently caress-me sunken eyes and big, thick, juicy dick-sucking lips?

Cuz they got hair

somewhere. hair is mainly.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That may be the best description of PJW ever put to text.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

lornekates posted:

Paul is in no way that hot

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I can't help but wonder if a lot of it is projection, or thinking if they hope to be manly hard enough they'll become manly. Its easy to look down on the guy at the bottom of the ladder when you're only one rung above him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

Little to no self-awareness can go a long way...

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Bee posted:

I can't help but wonder if a lot of it is projection, or thinking if they hope to be manly hard enough they'll become manly. Its easy to look down on the guy at the bottom of the ladder when you're only one rung above him.

I mean, the whole manosphere thing seems to be based on finding all the ways to not be manly and then trying desperately to avoid being associated with them, like a hilarious funhouse mirror version of the progressive witch hunters that just do endless callouts.

If you're looking for a reason to stay angry at your chosen enemy, you're not going to look too closely at the people who keep feeding you the fun rage-inducing material.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr.Radar posted:

Whoa, Raycevick has a 70-minute retrospective on The Orange Box (Half-Life 2 and Episodes 1 and 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhB6F5n3b4

That was loving excellent. I actually played the Orange Box around the same time as he did in 2009, and I can attest that you just cannot replicate the feeling of the first time you played all these games, especially TF2.

I'm with Raycevick, I miss Valve, or at least I miss the idea of what they once might have been.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
That was a really great retrospective.

I do wish he'd gone a little bit more in-depth on Portal. The perfect storm of its development and the overnight phenomenon it became because of that is super fascinating.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 13, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SkeletonHero posted:

That was a really great retrospective.

I do wish he'd gone a little bit more in-depth on Portal. The perfect storm of its development and the resulting overnight phenomenon it became because of that is super fascinating.

I feel like there is more he could say if he ever does a video on portal 2. But what he said about portal 1 is appropriately short and succinct.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, but "caricature" doesn't carry the extra meaning of "This is oppressive and should be stopped."

I think the overall sentiment that's trying to be made, though, is that nerds are awful people who deserve to be bullied.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

All this nerd talk and film Robert chat reminded me of the time when Game Over Thinker was he's main claim to fame and some guy used to rip his videos and edit them down. He dubbed it "the Game Under Thinker". I never watched either shows but I did see on the twitter that Bob really didn't like it when fans of his discovered the Under Thinker videos and loved them, thinking they were an official spin off.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Max Wilco posted:

I think the overall sentiment that's trying to be made, though, is that nerds are awful people who deserve to be bullied.

gently caress that. All men must be stopped. Too many are loving it up for the rest of us.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Baka-nin posted:

All this nerd talk and film Robert chat reminded me of the time when Game Over Thinker was he's main claim to fame and some guy used to rip his videos and edit them down. He dubbed it "the Game Under Thinker". I never watched either shows but I did see on the twitter that Bob really didn't like it when fans of his discovered the Under Thinker videos and loved them, thinking they were an official spin off.

What made that funny was that he was talking on twitter about wanting there to be an edited version of the Plinkett videos without all the story stuff in between. And then he got upset at the underthinker..

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

When even your fans don't want to watch all that much of you...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Apparently DW9 is bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE12Z9YJJtg

Sad, as I'm just starting to enjoy the series.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SgtSteel91 posted:

So Jim argues the AAA game industry should just dispense with the bullshit and just make their Destinys/Anthems/Call of Duty’s free to play

https://youtu.be/vcebekI9F7g
Great video. It's almost a borderline call out of Extra Credits but without a name drop too which is amusing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fabricated posted:

Great video. It's almost a borderline call out of Extra Credits but without a name drop too which is amusing.

It had "game" from a scene from one of the recent Extra Credits videos. His previous videos had more explicit call-outs.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Good video, but if you think meat doesn't have a taste of its own, you really need to buy better meat.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Given that EC's videos were more of a collection of the usual arguments publishers have made, I expect it's meant to be more of a callout of the industry at large. Jim's target is almost always the big guys, not the people repeating their bullshit.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

e X posted:

Good video, but if you think meat doesn't have a taste of its own, you really need to buy better meat.
Yeah I was gonna say the same thing. Hbomb I don't know what's wrong with the meat you're buying, but there very much is a taste just from the meat itself and the fat attached.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I was all about to mention Rainbow Six Siege, with it's pricing structure, as a way to illustrate what a major publisher would do with the F2P model. But that probably doesn't refute that argument.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also you have to buy RS Siege and it has a lovely starter edition that destroys your cash gains to force you into buying stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Apparently DW9 is bad.

Silver lining of this whole ordeal is that it got me pumped for Dynasty Warriors that I picked up DW 8: Complete Edition for 30 dollars. I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors in a while since around when 8 came out I was heavy into Pirate Warriors 2 and liked how that one did things, so I got my fill for that kind of game for a while.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Apparently DW9 is bad.

There's 2 other reviewers saying it's one of the best of the series and Jim's complaints about mission design (outside of the hunting stuff he shows) apply to a lot of entries. They cut weapons every time they switch engines so that's not new either.

I think it just depends on what people like about the series. We were definitely spoiled by 8 being one of the best they've done.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean, you could probably accuse other DWs of having simple "walk here, kill this" missions, but they weren't separated by such long stretches of walking in a straight line. The battlefields were compact and you had to juggle several priorities at once, between pursuing the objective and protecting your allies. If you took the same types of battles but stretched them out over a much wider space, it does sound like it would get very tedious very quickly. Being away from the action for an extended period of time doesn't sound great.

I don't really put much stock in WhatCulture Gaming's opinions on anything either

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 13, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

There's been talk about it over in the Dynasty Warriors thread. Some of it has been leaning towards positive:

wielder posted:

Watching Sterling has its benefits but he isn't the alpha and the omega of game reviews or impressions. There are a number of positive reviews too, some more reasonable than others (to be clear, anyone calling it a "masterpiece" is certifiably insane).

Silly title aside, this dude has a pretty decent overview and explains why the game works for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnAwU23aEfs

PureRok posted:

After having put 7 hours into it and finishing the first two story missions (yellow turbans, hu lao gate), I have to say I like it.

I mean, my framerate runs between 25-35 most of the time (thankfully at the upper range of that more often than not). The game is indeed very brown. Or, I guess, it's more like it's just not very colorful. Yea, the port is not that great, from an optimization standpoint, but the gameplay is pretty fun.

It feels more Empires than mainline, though. I think it's because of all of the capturing of little bases connected by dots on the map. There's just no strategic control like in Empires.

I like it more than not, I'd have to say. Of course, I liked DW6 and didn't have any issues with it so I may be insane.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I'm enjoying it as well.

I am VERY curious to see how they do 9 Empires. The open map feels extremely suited towards it.

I want to finish watching Sterling's review, but I'm still interested in trying. Part of me wonders if going into it with a different mindset helps your enjoyment of it.

The PC port doesn't seem to be faring too well, but I think that on par for Koei-Tecmo ports:

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my god....this is shameful.

Even my i5 4760K and GTX 1060 can't get rock solid 1080p/60 on LOWEST settings, looking like this:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean there are also other people who have played it and didn't like it, it's not like Jim's the only negative voice in the room

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Augus posted:

I mean there are also other people who have played it and didn't like it, it's not like Jim's the only negative voice in the room

I'm sure that's the case, but it's the wild differing of opinions that makes it interesting. I haven't played DW9 yet, and I was getting skeptical about as more footage was getting released, but the fact that some people still really like it makes me think it might still be worth picking up.

Sterling address some really good points (I like that he pointed out how bad the voice acting is), he also says that he's upset about the unique weapons being gone, and I don't think would really be a deal breaker for some. I'm not trying to say he's wrong; I do understand why it's frustrating. (I don't think it was done for 'realism', though. I think it the theory was that they were removed because of the engine change). My mindset was more that if they're taking the weapons out, then I hope that there are still move-sets in the game that are still fun to use.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
This week on Song Crimes, we catch grenades, steal mail, and get our brains transplanted into the bodies of chickens.

http://songcrimes.libsyn.com/case-f...tdest_id=568398

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Max Wilco posted:

Sterling address some really good points (I like that he pointed out how bad the voice acting is), he also says that he's upset about the unique weapons being gone, and I don't think would really be a deal breaker for some. I'm not trying to say he's wrong; I do understand why it's frustrating. (I don't think it was done for 'realism', though. I think it the theory was that they were removed because of the engine change). My mindset was more that if they're taking the weapons out, then I hope that there are still move-sets in the game that are still fun to use.

Except there's no real variation. Everyone has the basic slashes and strong attack but then the 4 moves are just the same type of moves. Every Dynasty Warriors game (except 6 the last bad one) has the basic stun, launcher, knockback, etc moves but movesets still feel unique as some characters make it easier to combo between the various moves.
Plus for some reason three of the four female Wei characters have whip based weapons and the other one is just using Sun Shang Xiang's chakrams. Whips are boring; Emeici, flutes, harps and claws that send wires everywhere actually make characters stand out.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

cat doter posted:

if you like insufferable neoliberalism, sure

I think I missed the bit where Gal Gadot looks at the camera and recites the entirety of Milton Friedman's Capitalism and Freedom.

• Locked thread