Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Do you tent your fingers, shout "DANCE PUPPETS, DANCE!", and cackle evilly while reading the emails from Pintrest?

yes, please stop doxxing me geez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

zuck fuckerberg protecc

he also attacc (your privacy)

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

pinterest is seriously the worst thing to happen to image search

also google search in general when looking up DIY stuff

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

See 19 ideas about STUPID PIECE OF poo poo WONT WORK on Pinterest!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

i remember back when you needed a .edu email to even sign up. now it’s zuck’s digital panopticon where my aunt cheryl shares minions memes.

minions -> mom opinions

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

minions -> mom opinions

yeah, I’ll give you that one.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Three out of four South Bay and San Francisco voters are willing to pay a higher sales tax to fund an expansion of Caltrain, a new poll found.

The poll, conducted for the Silicon Valley Leadership Group and this news organization, asked registered voters in Santa Clara, San Mateo and San Francisco counties if they would support a proposed sales tax increase of one-eighth of a cent to ease traffic, double the ridership capacity on Caltrain and complete the full electrification of the system. Seventy-six percent of the respondents said yes, compared to 18 percent who said no and another 6 percent who were undecided.

Burlingame resident Dennis Gale called the tax “desperately needed.” He moved to the Peninsula suburb from New York City eight years ago, choosing a condo within walking distance of a Caltrain station.

“It’s one of the first things we checked out,” Gale said. “When you live on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, you’re so used to having really convenient transportation. And, we chose an old suburb like Burlingame because it was more compact, there are more restaurants and stores close by, so it was almost like living on the Upper West Side.”

The results bolster an earlier poll conducted for the leadership group in May that found 74 percent of likely voters supported the tax proposal, which may appear on a ballot in 2020 and is expected to raise $80 million annually. It would need a collective two-thirds vote between the three counties to pass.

The leadership group has been polling this question for several years, said Carl Guardino, the group’s president and CEO. But the May poll was the first time support was strong enough to consider a ballot initiative, he said. And, with traffic seeming to grind ever slower on Highway 101, he was not surprised.

“Everyone’s favorite nightmare is Highway 101,” he said. “If we can grow (Caltrain service), that transforms not only Caltrain, that transforms the 101 parking lot. That’s why this is so critical.”

Caltrain’s $2 billion electrification project will replace 75 percent of its diesel train cars with electric ones, resulting in an estimated 30 percent increase in capacity and faster travel times, said Caltrain spokesman Seamus Murphy. When that project is completed sometime in 2022, Murphy said the agency will then set its sights on completing the electrification of its fleet, purchasing more train cars and increasing service frequency and doubling weekday ridership with the ultimate goal of transforming the commuter railroad into a fully-fledged mass transit system, similar to BART.

But, there’s one big problem, he said, and that’s funding. Unlike BART, which relies partly on dedicated property and sales taxes to operate the system and make capital improvements, Caltrain has no dedicated funding source, save for riders’ fares, rental income and parking or other fees. Instead, the transit districts in San Francisco, San Mateo and Santa Clara all contribute voluntary payments to Caltrain.

That system worked well for a while — contributions from the three transit agencies increased steadily between 2001 and 2010. But, when the recession hit, all those transit agencies cut their contributions, and they haven’t increased with the rising economy. The expected 2018 contribution is $20.5 million, 48 percent below the 2010 contribution of $39.4 million, even though ridership is now 56 percent higher than it was in 2010, peaking in 2016 at more than 19 million riders.

“This is not a formula for success,” said Jeannie Bruins, a Los Altos councilmember and chair of Caltrain’s governing board. “With all the traffic congestion in the Bay Area, we need to make forward progress on all forms of congestion management and transit solutions.”

Still, some residents say they feel all taxed out. Daly City resident Thomas Boyer does not typically ride Caltrain, and he said he likely won’t, so long as it only goes in one straight line up and down the Peninsula. Even though he’s not opposed to the idea of improving mass transit in general, he’s tired, he said, of all the taxes.

“I’m worn out with the frequency of these ballot initiatives,” he said. “I just am.”

About the poll: The poll of registered voters in San Mateo, Santa Clara and San Francisco counties was conducted by J. Moore Methods Inc. Public Opinion Research for Silicon Valley Leadership Group and the Bay Area News Group. Silicon Valley Leadership Group provided funding for the poll with significant financial support from Facebook. The poll, conducted from Dec. 27 to Jan. 9, has a margin of error of +/- 3.4 percent

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02/12/south-bay-sf-residents-willing-to-pay-more-for-expanded-caltrain-service-poll-finds/

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

ate all the Oreos posted:

i signed up to pinterest to access one fuckin' image that i wanted to see and then never went back, and they've emailed me every single day telling me about exciting new pins based on the pins I like (?) even though I've unsubscribed every single time they email me. my favorite one though is that they keep finding me "pin twins!" who are other users that have pinned a bunch of the same things as me (?) who therefore are good indicators of what I like (?) so it thinks i'm really into andy warhol (???)

the one picture i looked at (didn't pin or anything, literally just looked at and then left forever) was an advertisement from 1910 for some dumb quackery medical device, and nothing they've emailed me so far has had anything to do with any of that

after i was (regrettably) convinced to sign up for linkedin i kept getting these lonely nerd-bait emails from some dating site that go "M******** from [your university] is interested in you! create a profile and list your crushes to see if you're a match!" (the name is censored after the first letter in the email to make you EXTRA CURIOUS

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

minions -> mom opinions

:mome:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

make it a property tax not a sales tax tho

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

my bitter bi rival posted:

make it a property tax not a sales tax tho

luv 2 tax regressively

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
make it an income tax

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fishmech posted:

make it a wealth tax

FTFY

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

prisoner of waffles posted:

luv 2 tax regressively

please don't troll

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

make it a DEATH TAX

not an inheritance tax, like an actual death tax, that incentivizes the government to kill rich people

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it's one eighth of a cent, who cares, fund the train

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Endless Mike posted:

maybe Google will buy them to fold into G+

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

carry on then posted:

See 19 ideas about STUPID PIECE OF poo poo WONT WORK on Pinterest!

don’t forget 50 “tutorial” videos of what you want but for obsolete versions of everything

half narrated by kids

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how about tutorial videos for something where the written explanation is a three line paragraph

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

galaxy brain:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Poniard posted:

galaxy brain:

trans dimensional brain: sick fades, wipes, and other transitions.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

infernal machines posted:

how about tutorial videos for something where the written explanation is a three line paragraph

these are the worst

the internet is so much more terrible now than it ever has been

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm convinced that people simply can't read

the kids' brains have been nuked by ipads and pewdiepie and now they can't process information unless it's presented as a screen capture video narrated by a shrieking manchild in the corner

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i can't read so that's probably true

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

the kids' brains have been nuked by ipads and pewdiepie and now they can't process information unless it's presented as a screen capture video narrated by a shrieking manchild in the corner

and on the other end of the spectrum, there this:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and on the other end of the spectrum, there this:

yeah i'm not sure which of the two i hate more tbh

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

he's not wrong to be tired of all the ballot initiatives. the number of regular government operations in sf that are funded by their own taxes, budget set-asides, and separately-issued bonds that need to be renewed every five years is completely out of control

like here, just in the last major election, and just the local initiatives:
  • a bond for the school district
  • a bond for bart
  • a bond for affordable housing
  • a parcel tax for the community college
  • a budget set-aside for tree maintenance
  • a budget set-aside for supporting seniors and disabled people
  • a linked budget set-aside for local transportation and homeless services
  • a (failed) linked budget set-aside for arts programs and homeless services
  • a (failed) police budget set-aside (in the sense of creating a permanent task force) for neighborhood crime units
  • plus an increase in real estate transfer taxes, an excise tax on soda, and a failed increase in the sales tax, all going into the general fund

almost none of this has any business being separately voted on, it should just be managed normally as part of the city budget

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

nah.

remember, it's the olds who literally can't read

also consider this: youtube is pretty much the most reliable hosting service out there for a regular person.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

after i was (regrettably) convinced to sign up for linkedin i kept getting these lonely nerd-bait emails from some dating site that go "M******** from [your university] is interested in you! create a profile and list your crushes to see if you're a match!" (the name is censored after the first letter in the email to make you EXTRA CURIOUS

didn't classmates get fined some stupid amount of money for doing this

or news articles

if there is a video include a transcript; i read faster than you talki and even if i don't YO WATUP ITS YOU BOIIIII

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
what if indentured servitude, but an app?

quote:

Right now, special classes of citizens—mostly corporations (and in practice, big corporations) and family members—can sponsor temporary or permanent migrants, benefiting shareholders mainly, as well as ethnic enclaves.

This system should be wiped away and replaced with a system of citizenship sponsorship for immigrants that we call a Visas Between Individuals Program. Under this new system, all citizens would have the right to sponsor a migrant for economic purposes.

Here’s how the program would work: Imagine a woman named Mary Turner, who lives in Wheeling, West Virginia. She was recently laid off from a chicken-processing plant and makes ends meet by walking and taking care of her neighbors’ pets. Mary could expand her little business by hiring some workers, but no one in the area would accept a wage she can afford. Mary goes online—to a new kind of international gig economy website, a Fiverr for immigrants—and applies to sponsor a migrant. She enters information about what she needs: someone with rudimentary English skills, no criminal record and an affection for animals. She offers a room in her basement, meals and $5 an hour. (Sponsors under this program would be exempt from paying minimum wage.) The website offers Mary some matches—people living in foreign countries who would like to spend some time in the United States and earn some money. After some back and forth, Mary interviews a woman named Sofia who lives in Paraguay.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/963538896981319680

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

snakheadr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus. at first i thought you were exaggerating.

:suicide:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Rex-Goliath posted:

weekly reminder that the first step to getting off facebook is by deleting the app off of your phone

do it

*Is yelled at by lovely troll to 'delete your account'*

*deletes app*

*deletes account*

*deletes the internet*

*turns of computer*

*is finally free*

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

is this satire i can't even tell anymore

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
cool cant wait for this to get used for massive amounts of rape and trafficking

looking for attractive “18” year old massage therapists from Venezuela. will get ice to throw u in a mass grave in the desert if not thorough!!!

just more subtle

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
surely this program will only be used by individual americans

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
10 years later after tens of thousands of abuses

oooooohnoohowcouldwehaveseenthatcoming.jpg

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

for the discerning suburbanite who always wanted to repeatedly rape an au pair but doesn't want deal with those pesky children

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Elder Postsman posted:

is this satire i can't even tell anymore

Eric Posner is a professor at the University of Chicago Law School.

Glen Weyl works at Microsoft Research and teaches at Yale. Their book, Radical Markets: Uprooting Capitalism and Democracy for a Just Society, will be published in the spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

someone please wake me up from this hellish nightmare