Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

GotLag posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to wire up the extraction inserter and set it read contents, and set the fuel inserter to put one in when the extractor is holding a spent cell?

That only works if you want the reactor always fueled continuously, which isn't any better than just having an uncontrolled inserter. Otherwise, if it stops for whatever reason, you'll have to manually jumpstart it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

archangelwar posted:

Thanks for this! I will take a look.

Does anyone have any advice about AngelBob's? More specifically thoughts around whether the increased complexity is fun or tedious and if there are parts I should avoid? It seems like there are a lot of mod pieces and some are better than others but it is hard to find good info.

Angel bobs is one of those things where if you even have to ask if you’ll like it than the answer is that you won’t. You’ll know when it’s time for an angelbobs, and one day you may even do a seablock.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Roflex posted:

That only works if you want the reactor always fueled continuously, which isn't any better than just having an uncontrolled inserter. Otherwise, if it stops for whatever reason, you'll have to manually jumpstart it again.

You don't directly connect the inserters, but have some combinator logic between them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You don't even need to do Kovarex to fuel a reactor -- the default output of a centrifuge produces plenty of U235 for fuel rods for a reactor. Kovarex processing is strictly for weapons and train fuel.

I’m not playing 0.16. I am in 0.15. Do they add nuclear fuelled trains in 0.16?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

archangelwar posted:

Thanks for this! I will take a look.

Does anyone have any advice about AngelBob's? More specifically thoughts around whether the increased complexity is fun or tedious and if there are parts I should avoid? It seems like there are a lot of mod pieces and some are better than others but it is hard to find good info.

Start with Bobs without bobs electronics if your going to try it out.

The electronics part of the mod adds stupidly annoying busy work to making circuits. The mods will work fine without that one part of the mod and excluding it will help ease you into the overall complexity.

I would also suggest turning off Bobs options for things like robot frames, toggle on cheaper steel and just tailor the other busy-work poo poo as you see fit.

Otherwise just jump in and you'll either love it or hate it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

GotLag posted:

You don't directly connect the inserters, but have some combinator logic between them.

Except if the reactor hasn't been running (not enough draw / full steam / out of fuel cells)9 then there's no spent fuel to extract and trigger the insertion of a new cell.

99% of this build is the display. The important parts are the green clock and the blue override:

Offscreen there's an additional arithmetic combinator converting steam in tanks to a percentage (S signal, 0-1000).

Green clock: Constant combinator C 1. Decider combinator if C < 12k output C input count. Red wire from constant to decider input, and decider input to decider output. Green wire from decider output to fuel inserters.
Blue override: Constant combinator C 12000. Decider combinator if S > 333 output C input count. This stops the clock if steam is above the trigger value. Green wire from constant to input, output to clock input. Important that it's a different color from the clock loop.
Fuel inserters: Stack size 1, active if C > 11980.

Your override value should be high enough that the clock can go through a full cycle (3 minutes 20 seconds) before you run out of steam, but low enough that one fuel cycle won't overflow the steam tanks.

I'll clean up the wiring and put up a blueprint eventually.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 13, 2018

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Nah, it works. Use your imagination some.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Thoughts on AngelBobs :

The ore & smelting parts I really like - you have to refine iron ore out of other ores, which generates byproducts you have to filter out, and smelting recipes become more complex but give you greater returns. It's a bit of extra complexity but gives a little more "realism", and the new filter-splitters make this stage easier than it was before.

The chemistry part gets pretty tedious at times because there's loads more recipes and Factorio's pipe-laying is one of the most tedious parts of the game for me. But the more "realistic" recipes and the A -> B -> C -> D (with byproducts at most stages) appeals to the chemist in me, so...

The military & enemies parts you'll probably like if you like having biters at all, and not if not.

If you're someone who doesn't like using logi-bots then AngelBobs will be tough, because there are so many different recipes with so many different ingredients. It's certainly possible w/out logi-bots, just tougher than normal.

I'd really recommend a planner/recipe-viewer mod like What's It Really Used For and/or Helmod for AngelBob games. GDIW (Gah Darn It Water) and GDIW Hotkey help with the fluid-recipes.

PS Someone mentioned Rampant earlier - it really improves biters but I found that it seemingly demands a lot more from my CPU and/or GPU. So much so that I had to turn it off (I'm on 4K w/ 4GB of VRAM and kept occasionally getting out-of-memory crashes).

PPS Nuclear fuel timings : the Inventory Sensor mod provides a way to read out the temperature into the circuit network, so there's no need to do all that steam-storage stuff (the Reactor Interface mod does this as well, but hasn't been updated for 0.16).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FnF posted:

(the Reactor Interface mod does this as well, but hasn't been updated for 0.16).

Yeah, sorry about that, kinda lost interest in most nuclear stuff.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Fair enough, I'm just grateful it was there in 0.15. Definitely one of the top contenders for the "why doesn't the base game do this yet?" list.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Steakandchips posted:

I’m not playing 0.16. I am in 0.15. Do they add nuclear fuelled trains in 0.16?

Yeah, there's a new tier of burner fuel. It has an acceleration bonus of 250% (better than rocket fuel's 180%), but it doesn't stack, and one nuclear fuel has less energy potential than a stack of rocket fuel. It's also hell to use in a car or tank since it doesn't stack, but trains can use it no problem.

I really wish that cars and tanks retained their current burner fuel amount when you picked them up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

FnF posted:

PPS Nuclear fuel timings : the Inventory Sensor mod provides a way to read out the temperature into the circuit network, so there's no need to do all that steam-storage stuff (the Reactor Interface mod does this as well, but hasn't been updated for 0.16).
Thanks for this, I've been complaining about lacking a way to get the content of a car or tank, and this looks like it's just what I need.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I'm trying to get into doing clever things with the circuit network. So far my crowning achievement is having the heavy oil - > light oil cracking rig's pump only turn on if the heavy oil storage tank is over a certain amount. Not super clever or anything I know, but I've been looking at the tutorials I could find online and they all seem to think that I go from this capability to understanding what a "pulse generator" is or why I'd want one and what to do with it. Then they proceed to tell me how to build clocks or programmable displays. Is there a good guide for babies to other obvious poo poo like "turn this machine on when there's too much of this resource said machine will consume"? I don't really have a background in circuits or industrial control.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

I think im doing railways wrong :shepface:

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

chairface posted:

I'm trying to get into doing clever things with the circuit network. So far my crowning achievement is having the heavy oil - > light oil cracking rig's pump only turn on if the heavy oil storage tank is over a certain amount. Not super clever or anything I know, but I've been looking at the tutorials I could find online and they all seem to think that I go from this capability to understanding what a "pulse generator" is or why I'd want one and what to do with it. Then they proceed to tell me how to build clocks or programmable displays. Is there a good guide for babies to other obvious poo poo like "turn this machine on when there's too much of this resource said machine will consume"? I don't really have a background in circuits or industrial control.

Honestly, a lot of how I've learned is just by trying to solve specific use cases that come up. For "turn this machine on" your options are either: a power switch enabled on a condition, or the pump / inserter that feeds the resource-consumer enabled on a condition when {stuff} > {amount you want kept in buffer}. The count is typically done by reading a tank / chest / logistic network contents, but can also be done by monitoring belts & inserters.

Dark Off posted:

I, too suffer from train spaghetti.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Dark Off posted:

Best railpost in a while.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

chairface posted:

There's no one magic solution. Start small (controlling pumps based on tank contents) build up to something slightly more complex (controlling a heavy->light pump via a combination of lube and heavy oil stored) and most importantly save everything to your blueprint library. Most of the "complex" circuitry that 99% of players will need is built of simple components, and building a blueprint book of components that 1) work and 2) more importantly, you understand, will get you up to turing-completeness pretty quickly.

Except for digit displays, I just grabbed a tileable print off factorioprints and use it everywhere. (I did have one I built myself, but required 33 combinators per digit. This one uses 3.)

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Also one super easy thing to miss if you're just clicking through the logic UI quickly, is that the numbered signals are not the values 0-9.

I spent like 5 minutes troubleshooting a system that turned on when "Signal A" > "Signal 1", that was supposed to be "Signal A" > 1

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 13, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
gently caress! Just got ran over by my own automated train while trying to figure out signalling. Hoisted by my own petard.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

gently caress! Just got ran over by my own automated train while trying to figure out signalling. Hoisted by my own petard.

Achievement Unlocked

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Dark Off posted:

Continue posting and continue ignoring the concept of straight lines. I love it.

chairface posted:

Controlling power switches and isolated power networks sounds like a next good project for you. Apply them to mines or high power consumers inside your factory. Prioritize a single row of smelters until their at full capacity then trigger the next row. Learn how to do the standard two combinator RS latch so you can stagger your switching conditions. Make balanced train loaders and unloaders.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's a rite of passage.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Setting up circuit conditions for turning train stations on and off is one of the other very basic circuit network applications that will give you a "EUREKA!" moment when you learn how to do it.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

FnF posted:

Thoughts on AngelBobs

To add to this, expect to use up a lot of space to do things. As in, your smelting array alone is likely to be the size of a full base in vanilla Factorio.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
That's what did me in when I tried AngelBob's. The increased complexity is pretty cool, and creates a lot of interesting logistics puzzles, and I like how you often have a variety of production methods to choose from for doing the same things. I got all the way up to white circuits and started building bots, and I though "finally, now I can build the enormous ore processing/smelting arrays I've been waiting for" but I became disheartened when I realized how huge and sprawling it would all have to be, especially considering I still didn't have speed legs. I guess that's my main complaint, it scales the game up to a size that feels unmanageable with the core Factorio "Player Character who runs around and builds things" design.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Factorio player who sits in his bunker while building huge expanding sprawl entirely through radar view, blueprints, and thousands of bots.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That and a train network with little stations you can just ride to. Trains are stupidly fast and are a good way to get to far flung areas.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

chairface posted:

To turn things on or off based on resource availability, wire the inserter to a belt or chest. In the case of a belt, you can set it to read how many items are on a particular belt (typically in hold mode) and then set the inserter to only activate if the belt tile has 3 (for one lane) or 6 (two lanes) of the item on it.

Reading belts is good for monitoring, too. Try setting up some centralized monitoring. It's easy enough to turn a lamp on or off based on how many items are on a belt. You can also change the color of the lamp by using a decider combinator to output a color signal. I have a series of lamps and combinators in a central location in my base, each one wired to my science belts - if I don't have enough of a backlog for any science type on the belt, the corresponding light will turn on to let me know that I'm not meeting demand for that science type.

A useful thing to do with circuits is balancing things - for example, keeping the amount of things in a chest to a particular proportion. There's a number of ways you can do this, and experimenting with it is a great intro project to get used to combinators. For example, let's say you want to keep a chest stocked with an equal number of red and blue circuits. Wire the chest to an arithmetic combinator, and set it to subtract the number of blue circuits from the number of red circuits (so set it to "red circuit minus blue circuit"). If the result is a negative number, you need more red circuits; if it's a positive number, you need more blue circuits (if you want to reverse the sign, you can use another arithmetic combinator to multiply by -1). If you're using separate inserters pulling from simple belts, you just need to set one to only run when the arithmetic result is less than zero and the other one to only run if the result is more than zero. If you're using a single inserter pulling from a single belt, you can still balance it: just use decider combinators to convert those values into red circuits or blue circuits, and then wire them to a filter inserter that sets its filters based on the signals it receives.

A common circuit trick is a balanced train stop, where each chest loads evenly instead of the first one on the belt filling up first. You wire the all chests together with red wire, then feed that to an arithmetic combinator that averages it and sign-flips by multiplies the input by the negative number of chests (for example, if you have 4 chests, multiply that by -4). Then connect the output to all the inserters with red wire, and connect each inserter to its corresponding chest (and only that one chest) with green wire. This will add the number of items in the chest to the negative average generated by the combinator, so that chests with more than the averaged amount will have a positive number and chests with less than the average amount will have a negative number. Then just set all the inserters to only activate if their input is less than 0, so only the ones with negative input will run.

With those last couple of problems, you can probably start to guess how the more advanced stuff like logic gates would start to come into play if you tried to scale those devices up to anything more complex.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The only thing you can't do from the overhead is place rail and trainstops without having continuous roboport coverage. Once you place the trainstop I place a blueprint of chests and roboports and the bots build the rest of the outpost by unloading a dispatched train into the chests, and when its done I reverse the inserters, reload the supply train with the unneeded leftovers (sans what will be needed) and deconstruct it and replace it with the proper loading/unloading warehouses.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Main Paineframe posted:

if you have 4 chests, divide that by -4).

Ftfy, Multiply won’t average. You gotta divide. Another good reason to use warehouses too. And you gotta be careful what you set the inserters condition as because you can inadvertently make it lock if every chest is perfectly balanced (all 0, all full etc.) I normally use “Anything < 4 to prevent this. It allows the chests to continue being fed if its a few items above the average rather than locking, while still maintaining each chest balanced to within a dozen.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Someone help me, I can't brain right now.

I installed the Inventory Sensor mod and it does exactly what I need it to. But I can't figure out how to solve this with circuit networks. Example:

The constant combinator outputs 50 solid fuel. The inventory sensor reads the content of the tank and outputs 1 tank plus whatever happens to be inside it, and the arithmetic combinator multiplies that value by -1. The resulting value is fed to the filter inserter as a filter setting. The goal is to have the inserter insert items until there's as much in the tank as the constant combinator says, then stop.

This works fine as long as the tank is there. But I drive the tank drives away the inserters reactivate (as they now read 0 fuel). How can I set it up so that the inserter will insert items according to the constant combinator's setting, but only if it also has a tank signal?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Main Paineframe posted:

To turn things on or off based on resource availability, wire the inserter to a belt or chest. In the case of a belt, you can set it to read how many items are on a particular belt (typically in hold mode) and then set the inserter to only activate if the belt tile has 3 (for one lane) or 6 (two lanes) of the item on it.

Reading belts is good for monitoring, too. Try setting up some centralized monitoring. It's easy enough to turn a lamp on or off based on how many items are on a belt. You can also change the color of the lamp by using a decider combinator to output a color signal. I have a series of lamps and combinators in a central location in my base, each one wired to my science belts - if I don't have enough of a backlog for any science type on the belt, the corresponding light will turn on to let me know that I'm not meeting demand for that science type.

A useful thing to do with circuits is balancing things - for example, keeping the amount of things in a chest to a particular proportion. There's a number of ways you can do this, and experimenting with it is a great intro project to get used to combinators. For example, let's say you want to keep a chest stocked with an equal number of red and blue circuits. Wire the chest to an arithmetic combinator, and set it to subtract the number of blue circuits from the number of red circuits (so set it to "red circuit minus blue circuit"). If the result is a negative number, you need more red circuits; if it's a positive number, you need more blue circuits (if you want to reverse the sign, you can use another arithmetic combinator to multiply by -1). If you're using separate inserters pulling from simple belts, you just need to set one to only run when the arithmetic result is less than zero and the other one to only run if the result is more than zero. If you're using a single inserter pulling from a single belt, you can still balance it: just use decider combinators to convert those values into red circuits or blue circuits, and then wire them to a filter inserter that sets its filters based on the signals it receives.

A common circuit trick is a balanced train stop, where each chest loads evenly instead of the first one on the belt filling up first. You wire the all chests together with red wire, then feed that to an arithmetic combinator that averages it and sign-flips by multiplies the input by the negative number of chests (for example, if you have 4 chests, multiply that by -4). Then connect the output to all the inserters with red wire, and connect each inserter to its corresponding chest (and only that one chest) with green wire. This will add the number of items in the chest to the negative average generated by the combinator, so that chests with more than the averaged amount will have a positive number and chests with less than the average amount will have a negative number. Then just set all the inserters to only activate if their input is less than 0, so only the ones with negative input will run.

With those last couple of problems, you can probably start to guess how the more advanced stuff like logic gates would start to come into play if you tried to scale those devices up to anything more complex.

As someone who just started playing this game and only has about 8 hours in it, your post is terrifying and sort of awesome at the same time.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Collateral Damage posted:

Someone help me, I can't brain right now.

I installed the Inventory Sensor mod and it does exactly what I need it to. But I can't figure out how to solve this with circuit networks. Example:

The constant combinator outputs 50 solid fuel. The inventory sensor reads the content of the tank and outputs 1 tank plus whatever happens to be inside it, and the arithmetic combinator multiplies that value by -1. The resulting value is fed to the filter inserter as a filter setting. The goal is to have the inserter insert items until there's as much in the tank as the constant combinator says, then stop.

This works fine as long as the tank is there. But I drive the tank drives away the inserters reactivate (as they now read 0 fuel). How can I set it up so that the inserter will insert items according to the constant combinator's setting, but only if it also has a tank signal?

Add another arithmetic combinator with every constant input * tank? That should 0 things out if there's no tank present.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Can't you have a decider combinator that only outputs "Everything" when Tank > 0?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I figured it out shortly after posting. I added another decider combinator that checks if tank is <0 (since the tank count gets inverted by the arithmetic as well) and outputs everything.

Thanks!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Playing around with timer based nuclear setups, I am feeling like they are more trouble than they are worth. They work, but they have more edge cases, and they really need their own dedicated circuit external of the main power grid. You don't want a brownout leading to the clock slowing down, leading to even less power, leading to the clock going slower, and so on. So far, I am still finding that waiting for four output cells and low steam is the most reliable. There are less ways it can get into an unstable state, and it will sync the reactors too. Here is a belt-based four reactor design I just made, that has more steam storage than it actually needs. They do help fill out the shape though.

https://pastebin.com/2tT10KxL

I realize that storing steam is totally unnecessary, given the availability of fuel. I just find nuclear plants a fun thing to work on.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Just search for the name in the "Install Mods" screen in-game

QoL mods that don't change how the game itself is played:

Bottleneck - the one Luigi mentioned. Adds a small indicator to every crafting machine (assemblers, smelters, etc) to show its status. Green means it's currently producing. Red means it's waiting for materials. Yellow means its output is full. Very handy for getting an overview of where your production bottlenecks are.
Resource Spawner Overhaul - Significantly improves the game's resource spawning algorithm. Generally your starting area will have smaller but more dense fields of ore, but you'll have to travel quite a bit to find the next ones. I hope you like trains.
Related: radarplus for rso - Improves the radar to work better with the larger distances required by using Resource Spawner Overhaul.
Auto Deconstruct - Automatically marks miners that have no more materials to mine for deconstruction so you can see which ones are depleted, and if you have construction bots in range they will deconstruct it.
Long Reach - Lets you interact anywhere you can see on the screen without having to move close to it. Drastically cuts down on the amount of running you have to do. Might feel a little bit cheaty though.
Squeak Through - Makes the collision box of many items smaller so you can move between them even if they're built side by side. Makes things like pipes and fields of miners/assemblers much easier to walk through.
Vehicle Snap - Makes the car and tank snap to the closest 22,5° angle while you drive forward and aren't actively turning. Makes driving long distances, especially along paved roads, much easier.
Rampant - Improves the biter AI and makes it more interesting. They won't just throw themselves blindly into your wall of turrets any more, but pull back and try to find other routes and exploit vulnerabilities in your defense.
Honk - A must have. Makes trains honk when stopping and starting. :toot:

Content mods. I'm not (yet) a fan of the crazy complex mods like AngelBobs, so these are mostly just cool stuff or QoL content:

Afraid of the Dark - Gives the player an always on flashlight and adds some more items to deal with the night, most importantly a much better floodlight.
Electric Furnaces - What it says on the tin. Adds electric stone and steel furnaces, and two upgraded electric furnaces. Running electric furnaces is less efficient than feeding them coal, but makes the logistics much easier especially if your main coal deposit is off in the rear end end of nowhere.
Warehousing - Adds basically giant 3x3 and 6x6 chests with proportional storage capacity. Great for loading and unloading trains or just as massive buffers.
Vanilla Loaders - A loader is an alternative to an inserter that feeds items in/out of a machine or container. Goes well together with Warehousing. It will provide a fully compressed belt from a container. There are several loader mods, but I like this one because it looks the most stock-like. They're also 2x1 which is a slight drawback to offset how good they are.
Nanobots - Gives access to early, consumable construction bots. Not as good as the later personal roboport, but a huge boost to your early game productivity.

This is a good bunch of mods.

Small correction to your post; the mod is actually VehicleSnap (no space between the words).

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Filthy Monkey posted:

That sounds pretty badass. Have a picture and/or video?

Ask and ye shall receive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS-_KwoLlpo

:patriot:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Is that commemorating Maine entering the union in 1820?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Vic posted:

Is that commemorating Maine entering the union in 1820?

50 stars don't fit inside the range of a substation :(