Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Nuebot posted:

PVP is more frustrating than fun, especially since rolling in the first game is basically just a death sentence rather than any means to dodge an attack.

there's a deranged part of me that really likes ds1 pvp jank. there's so much weird poo poo going on in there like unblockable infinite combos with the shotel and counter strafing for guaranteed backstabs or just the entire poise system that's kind of satisfying in its own strange way. plus it's way easier to make characters that can punch above their weight, so to speak. there's nothing stopping a mid-level character from having full upgraded gear to deal with groups or lovely people or whatever. I like how open the early game is too. you can spend quite a bit of time grabbing equipment you need from almost anywhere in the game without fighting any bosses at all, which makes it easy to pull together complete characters pretty quickly.

that said, I've been dipping my toes into ds3's pvp recently, and I think it's definitely much cleaner and probably altogether better. I really hate the whole duel at the bonfire meme, though. I have way more fun when healing is encouraged and terrain becomes an issue and stuff

edit: uhp, new page. here's a ladder kill https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225582170

noether fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

noether posted:

edit: uhp, new page. here's a ladder kill https://www.twitch.tv/videos/225582170

Ahaha I've never seen Fire Surge used in PVP before but that's a good and hilarious use for it. Nice kill!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nuebot posted:

especially since rolling in the first game is basically just a death sentence rather than any means to dodge an attack.
sounds like someone didn't stay below 25% equip weight

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Ahaha I've never seen Fire Surge used in PVP before but that's a good and hilarious use for it. Nice kill!
if you want both you and your opponent to hate you, fire surge is actually quite good because you can stop doing it and roll very quickly, which makes it nearly unpunishable if you're careful. but it takes forever to kill people with it because it does like no damage

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

asio posted:

90/125/140+ ime.

The white tree in the poison swamp has good sorceror stuff.

Pve: crystal spells and the two great soul arrows, hidden body, cast light (best spell)

Pvp: normal homing soul mass, farron dart and flashsword, the two greatsword spells, annoying poo poo like crystal and farron hail (plus a big hitter for group fights when an opponent is distracted)

Speed>damage and light roll is p helpful. Also if u get the faith requirements for the candlestick it is actually OP.

Thanks for the serious reply. And yeah I grabbed the goofy looking crown from that white tree in the swamp. Now I need something that looks better than the sword master's clothes while still being able to fast roll.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

IronicDongz posted:

sounds like someone didn't stay below 25% equip weight

I was naked pretty much the entire game. If you're seriously going to try and tell me that lag stabbing and fights devolving into backstab fishing hasn't been an issue in dark souls 1 forever then I don't know what to say.

noether
May 1, 2017

what's a good chasedown weapon for int-focused characters? my mlgs user keeps running into problems with hosts who either sprint directly away from them or roll around like idiots and refuse to fight. I've tried a bow and a partizan so far, but neither really has the damage output to punish that poo poo effectively, I feel.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

noether posted:

what's a good chasedown weapon for int-focused characters? my mlgs user keeps running into problems with hosts who either sprint directly away from them or roll around like idiots and refuse to fight. I've tried a bow and a partizan so far, but neither really has the damage output to punish that poo poo effectively, I feel.

Uchigatana. You need pokes for runners and slashes for rollers and it has both.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Estoc is also widely used for the same thing. Anything fast with a good thrusty dash attack is good. For roll-spammers, you can delay your attacks slightly to try to hit them between rolls. I've never managed to do it consistently myself, but I do see people use that a lot in invasion videos and random pvp videos. Also R1->R1->uncharged R2 when you do get to hit people.

noether
May 1, 2017

I might try the uchi out if I play later. never used a katana in these games before, so that'll be interesting

I'm not really a fan of thrusting swords, tbh. like I know they're supposed to be really good, but the moveset just seems so limiting :S

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nuebot posted:

I was naked pretty much the entire game. If you're seriously going to try and tell me that lag stabbing and fights devolving into backstab fishing hasn't been an issue in dark souls 1 forever then I don't know what to say.
Of course ds1 revolves around backstab fishing, but that doesn't mean that rolling is useless. Also I didn't think you were just talking about pvp.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

noether posted:

I might try the uchi out if I play later. never used a katana in these games before, so that'll be interesting

I'm not really a fan of thrusting swords, tbh. like I know they're supposed to be really good, but the moveset just seems so limiting :S
The moveset is basically one thing, but that's true of most weapons and that one thing is "attack very fast with good hitboxes" so you're only 'limited' to doing something which is very good.
also if you use a shield shieldpokes basically fill the same niche as attacking with a poise weapon.

it's extremely choice to have a weapon that is faster than straight swords so if you ever trade with a straightsword user you can just mash out r1s and you'll hit them first every time after that

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
It's very common in builds with huge weapons too, to have a quick weapon to finish people off in case they decide they're done trading and just want to stay alive now.

I also saw a great video of someone who, on a fast weapon build, switches to a greathammer when up against ganksquads, since greathammers get such great poise bonuses, and even with medium to light armor, can still get a couple of good hits in through straightswords and even ultra greatswords to force people to back off or split up. He would go as far as to use a Great Wooden Hammer on dex builds, since you can two-hand it at 12 strength, and it can still deal out a 500+ damage combo fairly easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ1wLFpLPW0

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I will rep my favorite tryhard combo of offhand estoc and mainhand yhorm's whenever it is remotely relevant and this is a great time to do so

offhand estoc is very fast, good range, you can 2H it for chasedowns when need be, and it combos into yhorms when spaced correctly(!!!). and then the much slower yhorm's has poise and shockwave stagger effect, which can make you very unpredictable.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I only had access to my Steam Controller, which I never use, and decided to try my luck grinding the Storyteller Staff for a few minutes and get some practice with it while I did. Staff drops off the second Storyteller, and I get it, then proceed to die a bunch in Farron swamp because I absolutely cannot deal with decent humanoids (Heysel and the Darkwraith) using the Steam Controller. In the end I got my staff, but nothing but more hatred for this piece of plastic.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
What the gently caress

Steam controller is the best controller ever made

I thin you're literally the first person I've seen complain about it

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

lambskin posted:

Thanks for the serious reply. And yeah I grabbed the goofy looking crown from that white tree in the swamp. Now I need something that looks better than the sword master's clothes while still being able to fast roll.

(There are two scrolls in the poison swamp but only give one to orbeck per boss beaten)

Antiquated dress (Also in the swamp)?
Lothrics robes (lothric castle)?
Spear of the church outfit (outside midir boss fog in dlc2)?

I think the workers outfit (which needs grinding anyway) is too heavy for a sorcerors stat spread.

That was my sub-30% fashion souls progression, ending with court sorcer pants and old sorceror gloves (I think; the purple sorceror gloves). Iron bracelets are p pimp on that outfit too but a little heavy. Gives me room for staff, candlestick and rapier/straight sword/base spear (crystal infused). Im ok going over 30% for a weapon art shield only because of the spacing opportunities from the spear and rapier weapon arts. And i swap the hat for a witches hat when facing magic users. My dude is also pretty slim considering the crippling bug pellet addiction he suffers (he's really squishy).

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

feelix posted:

What the gently caress

Steam controller is the best controller ever made

I thin you're literally the first person I've seen complain about it

This might be the first time I've seen anyone like it! Not sure I'll ever use it while I have the option of a playstation or xbox controller.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I guess I'm actually not qualified to speak at all because I'm just not particular about controllers at all

I can go between Dualshock and Xbox and Steam smoothly without any complaints

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Soul Reaver posted:

I don't know if anyone's covered it before in this thread but I'm having two technical issues with DS3 on my PC, both present since I started playing (I'm up to Pontiff Sulyvahn now)

Multiplayer issues:

I have no problems with getting summoned to help others (both via sign and via Blue Sentinels covenant, though Blue Sentinels is quite rare).
However, I can't summon anyone, and I think nobody can invade me.

Whenever I try to summon anyone, I wait a while and end up with a 'Unable to Summon Phantom' message (unless it's an NPC summon)
When someone tries to invade, my soapstone becomes unavailable and fog walls pop up for a while, but after waiting for a time the fog walls disappear and my white soapstone becomes available again. Nobody except NPC phantoms have ever invaded me.

I have a broadband cable connection and tend to get decent speeds.
I don't use any mods and never have (after my experience getting softbanned in DS2)
I use Windows Firewall but have allowed Dark Souls III through both private and public.
I also went into the admin for my Broadcom router's NAT settings and set up forwarding for all the recommended ports (which I THINK I did correctly) as per Bamco's suggestions:
TCP: 27014-27050,50050
UDP: 3478,4379-4380,27000-27030,50000-50003

Problem still remains unchanged after the above steps.

I found a solution for this: changing my MTU settings. I remembered that I'd actually had the same problem in DS2 and the below had fixed it:

Used the command prompt as administrator and typed the following:
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1404 store=persistent

Now I can summon/get invaded just fine.

I've created a psa post on reddit so others can find the same solution (hopefully).

Sound issues remain.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 13, 2018

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

feelix posted:

I guess I'm actually not qualified to speak at all because I'm just not particular about controllers at all

I can go between Dualshock and Xbox and Steam smoothly without any complaints

I mean, if I used it for a few dozen hours and really got used to the touchpads I could likely even enjoy it. They're just so alien that I have never been able to use it for more than an hour before feeling like I'd rather not play whatever game I'm trying to play than keep using it.

I really only strongly dislike the lack of a d-pad, and have never found any settings for it that I feel comfortable with. I actually enjoy being able to use the gyro for mouselook while touching the right pad. However, I've been using Dual Shocks exclusively since the PS1 and never had a non-sony console after it besides the 3DS, so 21 years of habit forming are hard to break or adjust. This also makes me dislike the triggers and bumpers, since I'm not used to them being clicky.

Not having a d-pad you feel comfortable with just ruins any platformer and not being able to safely swap out weapons or items is a nightmare in Dark Souls.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

aegof posted:

This might be the first time I've seen anyone like it! Not sure I'll ever use it while I have the option of a playstation or xbox controller.

Steam controller is 100% the best thing for playing DS3. Bind the left back paddle as a spare run button and the right one for cycling through your hotbar items and welcome to being able to pan the camera around comfortably while running and swap items on the fly.

Give this a pop - steam://controllerconfig/374320/1300030183

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's good to be flexible with your control options.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Storyteller staff is interesting. It's not great, and my Swamp Witch build is terrible at anything remotely resembling honor duels, but it's really fun for invasions, especially when you go up against a gank squad and have enemies you can hide behind or lure them towards. Crowds easily get overconfident and end up getting poisoned, after which you have separated them and can more easily pick people off. I generally always at least kill a phantom, and sometimes manage to get them all. Currently invading at road of sacrifices at level 25, with a +2 dagger, +2 pyromancy flame and the Storyteller Staff, and 20 vigor, with 16 int and faith, for no particular reason. I've got boulder heave, flame surge and great combustion, but will eventually try to go for Snap Freeze instead of great combustion. Going for pestilent mist is probably a bad idea since it requires 30 intelligence, and would put me at level 40, besides, it's really hard to get people to stand in your garbage, and against anyone who's paying attention, it's really hard to even poison them. Flame surge is fun and annoying enough.

noether
May 1, 2017

every time I run into a guy with the abyss watcher hat, I gotta wonder if they actually like how it looks on its own, or if they're just wearing it to complete the set or something. it's such a weird looking helmet, I wouldn't expect to see it so often

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

noether posted:

every time I run into a guy with the abyss watcher hat, I gotta wonder if they actually like how it looks on its own, or if they're just wearing it to complete the set or something. it's such a weird looking helmet, I wouldn't expect to see it so often

Hey, at least it's not the fallen knight set.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah baby lemme drape some dirty fuckin rags all over this armor mmmmmmmmmm

noether
May 1, 2017

the fact that a sizable part of the playerbase thinks that putting a hood over a helmet looks cool and prefer it over all other headwear options is concerning. like the most popular fashion is that and full buttplug hat warrior cosplay. who are these people who are so easily taken in by goofy edgelord trash

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
fallen knight set looks loving sweet, you're the edgelord

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

noether posted:

the fact that a sizable part of the playerbase thinks that putting a hood over a helmet looks cool and prefer it over all other headwear options is concerning. like the most popular fashion is that and full buttplug hat warrior cosplay. who are these people who are so easily taken in by goofy edgelord trash

Half the fun of invasions is assessing how hard you're going to murderate someone by their bad edgelord non-fashion. I would love to see an invader graph fallen knight set-to-riposte ratio.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Hooded robes are sweet
Bucket helms are sweet
Combine the two and paint it black, it's sweet you loving hipster

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Nonexistence posted:

Half the fun of invasions is assessing how hard you're going to murderate someone by their bad edgelord non-fashion. I would love to see an invader graph fallen knight set-to-riposte ratio.
fallen knight is absolutely the #1 scrub magnet of armor sets. fallen knight+irithyll straight sword or dark sword+grass crest shield or shield of want=someone who absolutely has no idea what spacing is and probably thinks you're hacking or lagging badly if you rollcatch them

feelix posted:

Hooded robes are sweet
Bucket helms are sweet
Combine the two and paint it black, it's sweet you loving hipster
but cloth garments are already(always) worn underneath metal armor. either you're telling me fallen knights wear no clothes under their armor and have metal plates directly rubbing against their skin, which is stupid and awful, or you're telling me fallen knights wear clothes, then a full set of metal armor, and then another layer of fabric on half their chest, and their whole head and back. in a hot, wet swamp.

they're gonna die of fuckin heatstroke before they even get a chance to get parried and murdered by the twink that just invaded them with a hornet ring and dragonslayer axe

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Nonexistence posted:

I killed an anime yesterday. We killed his phantom bro who was in endgame gear in road of crucifixion at lv 25, while the anime was a shirtless Sasuke from Naruto with a katana who kept trying to parry me with the quickdraw weapon art. He actually managed to do so once, and stayed alive for ages just avoiding the Watchdog and myself as we chased him around, so kudos to the anime edgelord, I guess.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I find it hilarious that the Fallen Knight set pants are literally pissed in because their owner was a coward, and still people use it thinking it's a cool set.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the pants being piss stained is actually the best thing about the set, because it gives it actual personality by making him a huge coward, rather than super bland edgelord nonsense

if fallen knight gear lore just made them out to actually be a bunch of badasses it would be so much worse

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

On my pyromancer I wear Abyss Watcher armor set but swap out the helmet for Sage's Big Hat. Sometimes I switch the armor but the hat remains.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm absolutely stuck on the part of the Cathedral of the Deep after you get the ladder shortcut. The guys with the crossbows take off a bunch of my health no matter what, then there's the axe guy, that ambush, and two dual wielders. Even after that there's still more.

I don't understand how an ordinarily player is supposed to do this, it seems legitimately badly designed.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
please make more posts about how you've read every item description or about the practicality of armor in the fantasy game to show how it is the other people, not you, that is gay

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Justin_Brett posted:

I'm absolutely stuck on the part of the Cathedral of the Deep after you get the ladder shortcut. The guys with the crossbows take off a bunch of my health no matter what, then there's the axe guy, that ambush, and two dual wielders. Even after that there's still more.

I don't understand how an ordinarily player is supposed to do this, it seems legitimately badly designed.

Heh yeah cathedral of the deep owns.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Justin_Brett posted:

It’s one of the longer runs between bonfires in the game but not really all that hard as long as you go slow and don’t get mobbed. There’s a couple places along this route where the game will drop a couple enemies on you in very short order so you have to stay alert. Carry a 100% physical block shield for the thralls and crossbowmen. The big hollows with the halberd or axe are tougher and hit a bit harder, but are easy to backstab. The gravewardens are probably the most dangerous individual enemies but are also easy to backstab or parry. Once you open the big door you can just sprint through to the next shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

feelix posted:

please make more posts about how you've read every item description or about the practicality of armor in the fantasy game to show how it is the other people, not you, that is gay
I am gay though