Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gret posted:

Oh hey, I've been enjoying your Building a life in the country thread.

Hey thank you. Stay tuned, got a big arc coming up for season seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Wait canada only gets a loving beanie baby?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Wait canada only gets a loving beanie baby?

They do the teddy bear at the arena for the benefit of the people at the event and then there’s the full medal ceremony later at a central location.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reminder:
https://twitter.com/AndrewMcNair85/status/436097763256709120

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

time for the john shuster experience

my body is ready

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I unironically want Shuster to go winless.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
These games are so low scoring compared to the others

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Tolly Totes posted:

These games are so low scoring compared to the others

Yeah after watching mixed doubles, I forgot how common blank ends could be in regular curling. Canada/Italy still scoreless in the third.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
The third ended scoreless but the fourth is off to a much more interesting start, four rocks in the house right now

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

I believe in their ability to clear out all the rocks and get another scoreless end.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
:siren: Somebody scored :siren:

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Can't help but feel like there's an issue in game design when teams are literally trying to avoid scoring

More seriously, is keeping the hammer really that much better than scoring one point?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Tolly Totes posted:

Can't help but feel like there's an issue in game design when teams are literally trying to avoid scoring

More seriously, is keeping the hammer really that much better than scoring one point?

The teams are still trying to get used to the ice so the first game is typically more conservative.

And more seriously, yes.

USA/Korea has gone 2-2-3-1 and is a good game. Shuster hasn’t hosed everything up yet, which is a nice change.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Every time Shuster talks strat he's always "I can put it there" "I can tap that" "Easy shot, I'll nail that"

Then he cant.

He's also bad at curling.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

at least it's nice to know curling andy reid is still here

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

He currently has a draw for 3 and an insurmountable lead

And he managed to not gently caress it up

Hail Shuster

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Korean anchor is outshustering Shuster.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Tolly Totes posted:

There's two things at play here. The first, as Aggro mentioned, is it's the first game of the tournament and teams are going to be playing defensively trying to figure out the ice and adjust to playing in a place for the first time. The second is that Italy is just good enough to challenge for the playoffs but not really good enough to play head to head against Canada. What they're probably trying to do (I just got home from work and I'm catching up on the game!) is play as open and defensively as possible hoping to goad Canada into a mistake. This probably isn't something you'll see from either team in the rest of the tournament although you might see Italy try it against Sweden if it's successful here.

Yes, hammer is that important. At least in a game like this. One thing you might see is that teams want hammer in the last end, so they might gladly give up one in the ninth end. Most teams would rather be down with hammer than up without hammer (by 1 or 2 at least, 3 or more whatever) in the last end.

Also, just watch women's curling. It's better about that.

Very disappointed that the Italian third trimmed his beard. He had some impressive hipster facial hair.

Team USA's white pants are an absolute travesty. I would go so far as to call them the anti Norway.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I think Marc Kennedy is my favorite curler to watch.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Bankok posted:

Korean anchor is outshustering Shuster.

i noticed that right at the start

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
"Mistake by Shuster"

DRINK

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I see no lead is ever too safe for Shuster

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tolly Totes posted:

Might I introduce you to Kevin Martin? Canada adopted the free guard zone because of his ability to clear the house (and then went the to the international rule a efw years later so players would be accustomed to it for Worlds).

e. my wife was at an event when someone, after Martin peeled rock after rock after rock, yelled "booring!", to which he responded "winning!"

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Bilirubin posted:

Might I introduce you to Kevin Martin? Canada adopted the free guard zone because of his ability to clear the house (and then went the to the international rule a efw years later so players would be accustomed to it for Worlds).

e. my wife was at an event when someone, after Martin peeled rock after rock after rock, yelled "booring!", to which he responded "winning!"

Kevin Martin sounds like the Martin Brodeur of curling.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Lol this end should have been purely academic and an easy blank for the US

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

never in doubt

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Italy is shook

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
That's the closest I've ever seen a stone to the hogline

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Switzerland and Great Britain going to an extra end. .

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Great double to end it for Canada!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So why was the double considered a much higher percentage shot than drawing for one?

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

gret posted:

So why was the double considered a much higher percentage shot than drawing for one?

The consequences of missing the double was Italy potentially scoring 1 and Canada keeping the hammer for 11. If he missed the draw Italy could have stolen 2 and won, and the ice was getting a little squirrelly speed wise, making that shot a lot harder

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

^This guy is right. In the SWI-GBR game extra end, Switzerland didn't even hit the house with their last draw and gave GBR the whole house to draw to for the win. Draws can be deceptively hard before you know the ice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Women's tourney starts in 5 minutes. No Homan today though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Yokai can handle this

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Totally not Russia's second is super adorable :3:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the USA women's team seems supremely bad

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This OAR team is horrendous. How do you not do a hit and roll for 2? Instead you just needed a draw inside the 12 foot and came up short.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

USA is geting smoked right now, being behind 4-0 after having the hammer twice is depressing af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Russian skip is awful, Sidorova would be clowning on her.

• Locked thread