Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmfao wait I think the times fired her already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I have witnessed Angela Nagle's future

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So this made me look up who John Rabe was, and I didn't realize that was the Nazi who protected Chinese civilians during the Rape of Nanking. But man its really fishy that all it says is that he served out the war working at Siemens which used a ton of slave labor during the war. This crazy bitch comparing him to Schindler is super disingenuous

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

some nazis did good things but that does not make them not nazis

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
A nazi killed hitler, for example

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Prav posted:

that person definitely posted under a tripcode and then samefagged after getting ignored

lol at this and lol at me for understanding it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/783949941689442304

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
even if she gets fired by the nyt she'll be able to make a killing being an alt-right grifter after this so its a win win for her either way

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

*spits urine all over monitor*

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Well yeah exactly, you want to say what he did in Nanking was a good thing, but he still went home and was a goddamn Nazi right till the end.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Just found this in some old screenshots

link to actual correction

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'm gonna be the un-fun stick-in-the-mud and point out that the title is a satirical take on the VP debate that the piece is reacting to.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

BBJoey posted:

Her entire article about him is basically her mind being completely blown that Nazis were humans

It’s a lot harder for people to understand that the people who were responsible for murdering millions in ethnic cleansings were fundamentally no different from any of us. They had mothers and families and liked to pet dogs and eat cake on their birthdays and drink beer with their friends. They were also singularly and utterly evil.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

GalacticAcid posted:

Just found this in some old screenshots

link to actual correction

this one's a classic

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've read the last two pages and am deeply confused

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I've read the last two pages and am deeply confused

new york times hired some random person on twitter nobody had heard of to be a tech columnist of some sort

five seconds later people look at her writing and find its all nazi apologia and filled with slurs

nyt fires her

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i'm lmaoing at today's events, folks

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

"America's Paper of Record" Steps On Rake & Smashes Its Own Dick

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A continued thanks to this five-bar all-star thread for helping me to cancel my Times sub and then for weeks afterward making that decision seem smarter and smarter.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

glad to see the new york times is still failing

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
honestly i don't understand why you would be subscribed to the times in the first place

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

honestly i don't understand why you would be subscribed to the times in the first place

A lot of gullible people thought subscribing to the Times after Trump's victory was an act of resistance in support of good journalism.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A lot of gullible people thought subscribing to the Times after Trump's victory was an act of resistance in support of good journalism.

Honestly it's the Trump victory that spelled the beginning of the end for the Times and me, because the Times is struggling to cover post-sanity politics compared to the Post.

And the opinion columns at the Times felt like the same 5-6 people in perpetuity, like 3-4 of which were horrible and then Krugman, who writes the same column every week.

E: WaPo's opinion column lows are also very low, but their highs are higher.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

im baffled that we havent yet had disgruntled nyt reporters anonymously bitching to other outlets about how the editorial section is dragging the credibility of the paper through the mud
dont worry the news section is doing that just fine on its own

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/963518980609794050

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/hackneylad/status/963417360886648832

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

new york times hired some random person on twitter nobody had heard of to be a tech columnist of some sort

five seconds later people look at her writing and find its all nazi apologia and filled with slurs

nyt fires her
She has flown under the radar but is well connected and ultimately that's what counts in the journalism biz. She wrote for Wired a ton and that carries with it a cachet and a ton of connections.

She also dated Aaron Swartz.

There are basically two poles in the national media, NYC and S.F. (Wired is in S.F.), because that's where the publishers are. In the Bay Area case that's because the tech money is propping up magazines and various media enterprises. She blogged at Medium which is a publisher of sorts that was started by a Twitter billionaire. I don't know if they paid her to blog but they could easily pay her salary because she's friends with everyone and it'd come out to a rounding error in the company's budget.

I guess there's D.C. too but I consider it part of the East Coast media blob.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 11:58 on Feb 14, 2018

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Citations Needed had a good episode about this, here is a clip:

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/the-walking-x-miles-to-work-trope

Can recommend the full ep.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

She has flown under the radar but is well connected and ultimately that's what counts in the journalism biz. She wrote for Wired a ton and that carries with it a cachet and a ton of connections.

She also dated Aaron Swartz.

There are basically two poles in the national media, NYC and S.F. (Wired is in S.F.), because that's where the publishers are. In the Bay Area case that's because the tech money is propping up magazines and various media enterprises. She blogged at Medium which is a publisher of sorts that was started by a Twitter billionaire. I don't know if they paid her to blog but they could easily pay her salary because she's friends with everyone and it'd come out to a rounding error in the company's budget.

I guess there's D.C. too but I consider it part of the East Coast media blob.

and a lot of her freinds are nazis :thunk:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A person like Quinn Norton could only happen due to the incredible levels of privilege that middle class white people have heaped upon them, to the point that even despite palling around with Nazis and dropping N-bombs on your social media accounts, you can still be hired on by the most prestigious newspaper in the country because you're also a performatively woke lib.

To see the New York Times eat so much poo poo over this is extremely satisfying.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A person like Quinn Norton could only happen due to the incredible levels of privilege that middle class white people have heaped upon them, to the point that even despite palling around with Nazis and dropping N-bombs on your social media accounts, you can still be hired on by the most prestigious newspaper in the country because you're also a performatively woke lib.

My thought as well; it's a perfect demonstration of privilege acting over every other factor

My guess is none of the MSM is capable of understanding this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

To see the New York Times eat so much poo poo over this is extremely satisfying.

i'm p sure the Nazi friends were taken into account as a positive factor when they hired her, and they're just reacting to the Twitter blowback

the Times loving loves "Nazis are humans too but also white supremacists, what should we think of that? we report, you decide" articles, and her background and views and connections almost certainly would have allowed her to produce a ton of those

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

im baffled that we havent yet had disgruntled nyt reporters anonymously bitching to other outlets about how the editorial section is dragging the credibility of the paper through the mud

lmao

https://twitter.com/thegarance/status/963837358624989192

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

i feel for the AAPI reporters there and worry that there are few enough AAPI reporters at the NYT that their identifying their ethnicity gives enough info for them to be identified and punished

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the heiling nyt

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Person B posted:

i guess you get full twitter privileges at the nyt when you are consistently factually wrong

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/g0m/status/963524994939719680