Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

agreedo, sticking your nose into a bloody civil war in order to conquer territory full of armed insurgents who already aren't happy with your country is a great idea which has literally never ever backfired and certainly doesn't have any moral issues involved

Even better it's not like there wasn't say two years ago a Wahabi, isis inspired attack in Tel Aviv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Crowsbeak posted:

Even better it's not like there wasn't say two years ago a Wahabi, isis inspired attack in Tel Aviv.

Well I think everything is going to turn out fine. There are lots of big brained people doing important thinking about all of this and there is no way any of this is going to get out of hand.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Can't wait for Lion Assad to defeat all the world powers at once.

brb gonna try this out in hoi4

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Y'all are acting like Israel hasn't been perfectly happy to shield an ISIS enclave squashed against their borders.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
if they run they're a wahabi if they stand they're a well disciplined wahabi

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Y'all are acting like Israel hasn't been perfectly happy to shield an ISIS enclave squashed against their borders.

Trying to annex such a place though would create some new problems.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Trying to annex such a place though would create some new problems.

add terrorists, let terrorists run out the local population, annex, exterminate the terrorists, enjoy new greater israel

it's pretty much all upside for the settler state

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Prav posted:

add terrorists, let terrorists run out the local population, annex, exterminate the terrorists, enjoy new greater israel

it's pretty much all upside for the settler state
Not when you have armed terrorists in your borders for a decade.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm pretty sure the IDF has been around longer than a decade.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

steinrokkan posted:

Can't wait for Lion Assad to defeat all the world powers at once.

It's almost time for the Turkish Independence War centennial :tinfoil:

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

rudatron posted:

God drat, israel has a knack for just making the dumbest moves ever.

Just nakedly grabbin territory from another country in a civil war.

Eh not like Syria is in much of a position to do anything about it now or the foreseeable future.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vernii posted:

Eh not like Syria is in much of a position to do anything about it now or the foreseeable future.

Israel has occupied the Golan Heights for as long as they've occupied the West Bank. They haven't grabbed any territory as of yet. But the SAA could, if they wanted to, rain down rockets and artillery on the Golan settlements.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's almost time for the Turkish Independence War centennial :tinfoil:

That's gonna be off the hook

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

thatfatkid posted:

I'm pretty sure the IDF has been around longer than a decade.

Hey, they didn't take southern Lebanon, so I have my doubts they'll get their buffer zone.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Israel has occupied the Golan Heights for as long as they've occupied the West Bank. They haven't grabbed any territory as of yet. But the SAA could, if they wanted to, rain down rockets and artillery on the Golan settlements.

That would be cool

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
the lion assad will liberate palestine in the course of crushing the wahabbis

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm pretty sure America would go to war with Syria, even if they were trying to take back what's technically their own territory from Israel.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
lmao a corrections officer from my city was just detained at an italian airport coming back from syria, he claimed he was there to help at a refugee camp near Aleppo but there wasnt any refugee camp near Aleppo at that time. turns out he was fighting for Ahrar al-Sham and now he's being indicted for lying to the feds. owned

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It could theoretically do that but I don't think that would end well for the SAA. They've had enormous manpower and materiel losses, a lot of their units are regiments or brigades in name only and the only thing that's kept them from collapsing has been the Russian airforce, foreign volunteers, and Volksturm style NDF units. The last thing they're going to do is pick a fight with a fresh force that's handily beaten them several times already.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Vernii posted:

It could theoretically do that but I don't think that would end well for the SAA. They've had enormous manpower and materiel losses, a lot of their units are regiments or brigades in name only and the only thing that's kept them from collapsing has been the Russian airforce, foreign volunteers, and Volksturm style NDF units. The last thing they're going to do is pick a fight with a fresh force that's handily beaten them several times already.

Israel is as 2014 and 2006 shows, hardly the terrifying force it once was. Note also Syria could call on Hizbellah to fight in such a situation who are very good at fighting Israel.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hezbollah is my loving jam

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

To invade Syria, Israel would have to either go through Lebanon, or the rebel and ISIS held territory they've cultivated on the borders with the Golan, so having to fight every single faction in Syria at once isn't a good proposition for them. On paper, they could march an armored column down from the Golan Heights and into Damascus within a day. It's all flat plain from the Golan to the Capital, but actually being able to hold on to all of that territory, in one of the most highly armed and bitter regions in the world, is another matter entirely. Plus the regime's real core of strength is in Latakia anyway, so just taking Damascus wouldn't be a knockout blow even if they could take it quickly.

The IDF just doesn't have it in them to do another years-long occupation in a highly armed and opposing territory like they did in Southern Lebanon again.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 07:42 on Feb 14, 2018

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Wouldn't that just end up with them losing all their artillery? I'd bet on Israel over whoever is left manning the guns in the SAA in an artillery duel

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aphid_licker posted:

Wouldn't that just end up with them losing all their artillery? I'd bet on Israel over whoever is left manning the guns in the SAA in an artillery duel

Probably, but the SAA has more than just rocks to throw back at the Israeli air force. You also don't need a mobile platform like an MIRV to shoot off big rockets - they can be launched off of man-deployed racks.

The point isn't to "duel" Israeli artillery, the point is to spook them into leaving Syria alone by threatening their precious settlers in the Golan Heights.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Russia must be pissed about their PMC's little adventure because they are fast tracking a bill through the Duma rn to regulate them

coathat
May 21, 2007

Regulate the how? Their previous stance was a good check on them gaining real power.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/vox_employee/status/963603997847441408

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Curse is real lol

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It is going to be good when somebody does that meme with Assad's corpse.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokamak posted:

It is going to be good when somebody does that meme with Assad's corpse.

:chloe:

coathat
May 21, 2007

This just in Tokamak arrested for what police are describing as “insanely hosed up sex crimes”

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tokamak Permabanned for using the N-Word in Race Space

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Probably, but the SAA has more than just rocks to throw back at the Israeli air force. You also don't need a mobile platform like an MIRV to shoot off big rockets - they can be launched off of man-deployed racks.

The point isn't to "duel" Israeli artillery, the point is to spook them into leaving Syria alone by threatening their precious settlers in the Golan Heights.

Also Israel has historically been very loss averse in their military campaigns and I'd hope Assad has gotten used to it by now. Israel could rack up a lopsided scoreboard and still come away with a bloody nose.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

If this didn't get posted yet, this image is not altered in any way, shape, or form:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bip Roberts posted:

Also Israel has historically been very loss averse in their military campaigns and I'd hope Assad has gotten used to it by now. Israel could rack up a lopsided scoreboard and still come away with a bloody nose.

Israel has bombed Syria practically unopposed a hundred times over the last few years, but that one F-16 getting shot down was incredibly humiliating, because it’s the first Israeli F-16 to ever be shotdown. Losing the aura of invincibility can be a bigger loss than actually losing people, which is why Hezbollah declared the downed F16 the start of a “new strategic phase.”

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Waffle House posted:

If this didn't get posted yet, this image is not altered in any way, shape, or form:

Anime Nazis and ISIS pillowhumpers the same you say? :thunk:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Waffle House posted:

LF is alive in syria

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Lawman 0 posted:

Anime Nazis and ISIS pillowhumpers the same you say? :thunk:

It was only a matter of time before it converged, and you know it to be true in your heart

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Waffle House posted:

i loving love the 21st century

someday this image is going to be in a museum of history and I hope I live to see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

i loving love the 21st century

someday this image is going to be in a museum of history and I hope I live to see it