Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LentThem posted:

he spent 90 minutes angrily tweeting about that stupid laptop until the battery died, when even a senior citizen could find the answer with a quick search

https://twitter.com/gcaweir/status/962126560311627776

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
welp, that's where my troubleshooting skills end. bin it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i'm impressed that second gen surface book hardware still have what is essentially birthing issues

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

pro sku now does duolingo

which is really just another ad for the surfaces book two

https://twitter.com/gcaweir/status/962688823296692224/photo/1

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Boiled Water posted:

i'm impressed that second gen surface book hardware still have what is essentially birthing issues

Surface Book 2: Truly impressive hardware.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

at what generational iteration did the surface line become usable day to day?

whichever it is this is the generation to wait for

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Sp4 was good so 2 more generations to go

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

hacked by chinese

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Chris Knight posted:

hacked by chinese

Just saves on time/costs, the surfaces come pre-hacked.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dodoman posted:

Sp4 was good so 2 more generations to go

My sp3 is still serving me dutifully, even after being dropped a bunch of times.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I like my sp3 too

when the keyboard works

pram
Jun 10, 2001
suits my needs

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
xposting this because it's driving me bonkers

Is there anything that updating to the latest version of Windows 10 would make this code now return a different value from what it was returning a couple of weeks ago (or on an entirely different computer running Windows 7, they used to match)

code:
	Using sha512 As New System.Security.Cryptography.SHA512Managed
            Return BitConverter.ToString(sha512.ComputeHash(data))
        End Using
The windows update is the only thing I can think of that I've done recently that would cause this. If I run a project on the Windows 7 machine and then copy that exact project over to the Windows 10 machine and run them the outputs are different.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

microsoft finally ahead of the curve

i welcome our new maoist overlords comrades

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

also lol https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/02/12/microsoft-digital-identity-blockchain/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

xposting this because it's driving me bonkers

Is there anything that updating to the latest version of Windows 10 would make this code now return a different value from what it was returning a couple of weeks ago (or on an entirely different computer running Windows 7, they used to match)

code:
	Using sha512 As New System.Security.Cryptography.SHA512Managed
            Return BitConverter.ToString(sha512.ComputeHash(data))
        End Using
The windows update is the only thing I can think of that I've done recently that would cause this. If I run a project on the Windows 7 machine and then copy that exact project over to the Windows 10 machine and run them the outputs are different.

it shouldn't be different as an sha512 hash is an sha512 hash. I would make sure your data is the same. also maybe consider using Convert.ToBase64String instead of bitconverter unless you really like the byte string format for some reason.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Dodoman posted:

I like my sp3 too

when the keyboard works

also the docks are poo poo garbage from a butt

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gee thanks windows, but why didn't you just delete these files if it's safe to do so? especially when they're 12% of my total drive space on this dell shitbox?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

gee thanks windows, but why didn't you just delete these files if it's safe to do so? especially when they're 12% of my total drive space on this dell shitbox?

usually they are there to make it possible to roll back updates if they don't work out for you, and if that is what those are they are deleted after something like 90 days iirc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

got a temp latitude 7280 in the office and it seems nice

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

every time i switch my monitors over to their other input, windows on my desktop decides to pack every open window into the top left 1/4th and resize it to fit. thanks ms!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

somebody who is good at the operating system please help me budget this. my computer is dying

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

every time i switch my monitors over to their other input, windows on my desktop decides to pack every open window into the top left 1/4th and resize it to fit. thanks ms!

my work xps 13 with 4k screen does the same when i disconnect it from 1080p monitors

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
my work laptop does a thing where the start menu recognizes dpi settings, but if i search for something the search results don't always and most of the time it shows up huge

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my work xps 13 with 4k screen does the same when i disconnect it from 1080p monitors

mine do this whenever i use the switchbox

nice second desktop you got there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

mine do this whenever i use the switchbox

nice second desktop you got there

other fun thing i get is that 2nd+ external monitors seem to go into an erratic power sleep mode as soon as possible but that might be fault of the monitor adapter i use

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

thumbs.db might be a worse idea than germany invading russia in the winter

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

when you push ^k to add a hyperlink to text in outlook, and it freezes on the "my documents" dialog for about a decade, what the hell is it doing

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

when you push ^k to add a hyperlink to text in outlook, and it freezes on the "my documents" dialog for about a decade, what the hell is it doing

this happens if you open explorer and go to "Downloads" a lot too. i think you gotta clear the explorer history and reset a bunch of folder settings to default

also disable quick links and stuff because that poo poo fucks up and breaks explorer all the time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

i did this today at work and wondered exactly the same thing

another thought i had while i spent that 30 seconds or so waiting was whether any of the features that the wait is due to have ever been used by anyone ever since im sure every user whos even aware of how to add a hyperlink to text already has the url on their clipboard and just wants to paste

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

love to get external emails from vendors with links to local files in them

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

NEED MORE MILK posted:

this happens if you open explorer and go to "Downloads" a lot too. i think you gotta clear the explorer history and reset a bunch of folder settings to default

also disable quick links and stuff because that poo poo fucks up and breaks explorer all the time

while i technically do have gpedit powers i'd get poo poo on ferociously for using them without an rfc

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i see that mr. thurott has tried to delete candy crush saga from with carpettop

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

paul, pauuuuuul, its easier if you turn your monitor off

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

someone ask the nontechnical women and children

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

as we all know, the only thing anyone would want to make a hyperlink to is already in their documents folder!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

how the gently caress else am I supposed to remember anything

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

NEED MORE MILK posted:

i love getting emails from people asking why thumbs.db files with my name on them are in their directories

yes i was looking at your stuff, no i have no reason to hide it but in situations where i do, getting rid of them is really irritating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

remember when Microsoft paid Delta to use a bunch of surface tablets and phones MS couldn’t sell? let’s see how that’s going

e.pilot posted:

The Surface is literally the worst piece of modern tech I've used.

It freezes
it's slow
brightness controls in windows are literal garbage, darkest setting is too bright at night and the lightest setting is nearly unreadable during the day
the multitouch isn't even on par with the original iphone
it doesn't wake probably 30% of the time when I need it to
the screen doesn't orient properly probably 50% of the time when I wake it up, and good luck getting it to without rebooting it
cellular and wifi drop CONSTANTLY and won't come back without a reboot
so many problems with cellular the company has issued mobile hotspots to all (400+) aircraft to use on the ground

these aren't issues limited to just mine either, literally everyone has these issues
but yeah, saving money over iPads :negative: