Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
You know what's really cold? MY WIFE :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Legit question. Someone who knows how to English good explain it to me.

Data Graham posted:

Duuuuuuude. Temperature isn't like a glass of water, you can't just like "empty it out". Zero temperature is a physical near-impossibility that you can only approach asymptotically, so if you're going by how much energy is in the system if you try to define it in numeric terms where it makes sense to speak of "half" or "twice" you may as well put it at any arbitrary point on the scale and faaaaaaaart

sir, this is a Wendy's drive through

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Memento posted:

Because the word "refrigerator" is etymologically derived according to rules that make sense in English for the pronunciation we assign to it, but "fridge" is a colloqualism whose spelling had to be invented after the fact and reverse-engineered from the pronunciation. People started saying "fridj" verbally as a shortening of refrigerator, but if they tried to spell it "frige" like the source word it wouldn't make sense according to English rules. You'd look at "frige" and pronounce it like what, "fryge"? So it gets a "d" to clarify the vowel value. Also I'd like a dave's double with cheese, extra pickles thanks

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Because the word "refrigerator" is etymologically derived according to rules that make sense in English for the pronunciation we assign to it, but "fridge" is a colloqualism whose spelling had to be invented after the fact and reverse-engineered from the pronunciation. People started saying "fridj" verbally as a shortening of refrigerator, but if they tried to spell it "frige" like the source word it wouldn't make sense according to English rules. You'd look at "frige" and pronounce it like what, "fryge"? So it gets a "d" to clarify the vowel value. Also I'd like a dave's double with cheese, extra pickles thanks

Probably influenced by Frigidaire, though, right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's more so it's consistent with other words that end with a j sound, like judge, badge, bridge, and garadge.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

... well that would be based on "frigid", and that's the same as refrigeration, so it doesn't lend to "fridge" at all

I mean it's pretty straightforward, the word would look stupid without a d that's why

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
rhymes with 'ridge'

and someone did the thing we never do with english words, make it spelled like something it rhymes with

nobody spells it 'rige'

:ms:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NerdBurb/status/963495833135190022

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

according to my research, June 2nd 2008 actually

so the singularity approaches

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Happy... birthday?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
We've been making Loss jokes for 10 years?

I'm at a loss for words.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's like Dickbutt. It never really goes away.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Memento posted:

Some places used frig until they remembered it was 17th century slang for jerkin it

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/9QcmRJZ.gifv

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Data Graham posted:

So it gets a "d" to clarify the vowel value like your mom.

Ftfy

FishMist
Apr 24, 2005

*sniff sniff*

This makes me very angry indeed!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Happy... birthday?

I acknowledge your efforts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Best possible last post of page :420:

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Choom gang

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

That kid would have been in 5th Grade by now, so very tragic.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Stex T posted:

what a loss :shrek:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
You know what they say: ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. So it follows that if you ask a load of stupid questions, you'll get a load of stupid answers. Here we gooooooo

Yes, because English is weird and people use "accident" to mean "vehicle collision."

Well, if "twice as cold" has any meaning, then there are two options: defining it against an arbitrary reference point, or half as hot. The arbitrary reference point is untenable, because it leads to unintuitive situations. For example, let us say that our reference point is 70F, which is pretty standard for "comfortable human temperature." Then -70F would be twice as cold as 0F, since it's twice as far from the reference point. But that also means that 90F is twice as cold as 80F, which doesn't really pass the smell test, in my opinion. That leaves us with the second definition: half as hot, which does actually have a physical meaning. -229.8F is half as hot as 0F because it's half the distance from absolute zero (-459.67F), our handy non-arbitrary reference point.

Yes, it did. It's one of the most amazing and remarkable things in the universe. Out of this entire list, this one most deserves the weed "whoa".

The word "scent" comes from a French word spelled with a (non-silent) s; the c was added in English later. So I would say the c is silent.

This was already explained, but the "d" in "fridge" is an added letter to clarify the pronunciation of the short "i", which wasn't necessary to add to the original word "refrigerator."

You're cleaner, but you're not ever 100% clean. Furthermore, bacteria can live in the towel, feeding off your skin oils and skin flakes, and producing gross smells as a byproduct.

The strange thing about alphabetical order is that it predates English by millennia. Our alphabet comes ultimately from the Greek alphabet, and so does the word "alphabet", which comes from the first two letters in Greek alphabetical order, "alpha beta." No one really knows why the Greek alphabet was ordered the way it was, but it rubbed off on speakers of Latin, and from there to various Latin-based languages like French, and from French to modern English.

You don't need language to think. But often you do use language when you're thinking, and if you're deaf from birth, you've probably learned a form of sign language, and that's what you'll think in.

Yes. Well, 1% chewed-and-mixed-with-stomach-acid nacho.

No, that's not weird. We learn to process language through sound long before we learn to process it through sight, and that auditory understanding of language never leaves us.

This is less like a weed "whoa" moment and more like a dad joke. Words can have more than one meaning.

By the changing of the seasons. The whole business of setting up a calendar system is to track the changing of the seasons, so, y'know, the calendar is synced to that. As for why (for example) the vernal equinox is called "June 21st" instead of rotating everything around so that it occurs on April 2nd or some other day instead, well, that's down to arbitrary tradition going back thousands of years. The history of the modern calendar is pretty interesting, actually, especially with how much the Romans used to gently caress with it.

Yes; the term "dogpile" does not require the animals to be dogs, only that they pile up like a group of fighting dogs. Why ask this question about cats but not about humans? Humans are no more dogs than cats are.

Another dad joke. "Lie" has two meanings. You're telling the truth if you're telling the truth - regardless of whether you're lying in bed.

Put it in a bigger garbage can, or compact it so that it can fit in another garbage can.

Water itself does not activate your taste buds, but it can have flavor for a couple different reasons: 1, because it is impure, and the impurities carry taste; 2, because it washes away a taste that your mouth had adjusted to, thus giving you the opposite taste. For example, if you eat something sour, then wait a bit, your tongue will adjust to the trace amounts of sour left in your mouth, and washing them away with water may taste sweet.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Stex T posted:

You’ve come a long way, (non-)baby.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

hey shut up

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Listen, nerd,

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

a whole lot of nerd poo poo

Shup up, u fuckin nerd.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Very good. Now, prepare for your final challenge...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have never heard anyone refer to any type of road as a parkway.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

Very good. Now, prepare for your final challenge...

Suddenly all those Gallagher comedy shows I watched as a kid make a whole lot more sense now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

swickles posted:

Come to the Northeast.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

they're called parkways because they were originally intended to be scenic, like parks

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
And driveways were originally intended to be driven on, from the road to your garage.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

DontMockMySmock posted:

You know what they say: ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. So it follows that if you ask a load of stupid questions, you'll get a load of stupid answers. Here we gooooooo

Yes, because English is weird and people use "accident" to mean "vehicle collision."

Well, if "twice as cold" has any meaning, then there are two options: defining it against an arbitrary reference point, or half as hot. The arbitrary reference point is untenable, because it leads to unintuitive situations. For example, let us say that our reference point is 70F, which is pretty standard for "comfortable human temperature." Then -70F would be twice as cold as 0F, since it's twice as far from the reference point. But that also means that 90F is twice as cold as 80F, which doesn't really pass the smell test, in my opinion. That leaves us with the second definition: half as hot, which does actually have a physical meaning. -229.8F is half as hot as 0F because it's half the distance from absolute zero (-459.67F), our handy non-arbitrary reference point.

Yes, it did. It's one of the most amazing and remarkable things in the universe. Out of this entire list, this one most deserves the weed "whoa".

The word "scent" comes from a French word spelled with a (non-silent) s; the c was added in English later. So I would say the c is silent.

This was already explained, but the "d" in "fridge" is an added letter to clarify the pronunciation of the short "i", which wasn't necessary to add to the original word "refrigerator."

You're cleaner, but you're not ever 100% clean. Furthermore, bacteria can live in the towel, feeding off your skin oils and skin flakes, and producing gross smells as a byproduct.

The strange thing about alphabetical order is that it predates English by millennia. Our alphabet comes ultimately from the Greek alphabet, and so does the word "alphabet", which comes from the first two letters in Greek alphabetical order, "alpha beta." No one really knows why the Greek alphabet was ordered the way it was, but it rubbed off on speakers of Latin, and from there to various Latin-based languages like French, and from French to modern English.

You don't need language to think. But often you do use language when you're thinking, and if you're deaf from birth, you've probably learned a form of sign language, and that's what you'll think in.

Yes. Well, 1% chewed-and-mixed-with-stomach-acid nacho.

No, that's not weird. We learn to process language through sound long before we learn to process it through sight, and that auditory understanding of language never leaves us.

This is less like a weed "whoa" moment and more like a dad joke. Words can have more than one meaning.

By the changing of the seasons. The whole business of setting up a calendar system is to track the changing of the seasons, so, y'know, the calendar is synced to that. As for why (for example) the vernal equinox is called "June 21st" instead of rotating everything around so that it occurs on April 2nd or some other day instead, well, that's down to arbitrary tradition going back thousands of years. The history of the modern calendar is pretty interesting, actually, especially with how much the Romans used to gently caress with it.

Yes; the term "dogpile" does not require the animals to be dogs, only that they pile up like a group of fighting dogs. Why ask this question about cats but not about humans? Humans are no more dogs than cats are.

Another dad joke. "Lie" has two meanings. You're telling the truth if you're telling the truth - regardless of whether you're lying in bed.

Put it in a bigger garbage can, or compact it so that it can fit in another garbage can.

Water itself does not activate your taste buds, but it can have flavor for a couple different reasons: 1, because it is impure, and the impurities carry taste; 2, because it washes away a taste that your mouth had adjusted to, thus giving you the opposite taste. For example, if you eat something sour, then wait a bit, your tongue will adjust to the trace amounts of sour left in your mouth, and washing them away with water may taste sweet.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/kWyBlPWcB2Y

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Finally.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

swickles posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Parkway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

I am glad that someone is willing to do such a good job on what had to be done

It's almost a vital service, an obligation one might call it