Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Four legs good, two legs bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What was even going on with that deck? That seems like a really elaborate setup to play a prank on a cat. But if it wasn't a cat prank, why was the camera watching?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
It looks like it was purposefully partially demolished and they were waiting for gravity to do the rest. The probability field surrounding the cat happened to work faster.

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 11, 2018

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Twinkie Czar posted:

It looks like it was purposefully partially demolished and they were waiting for gravity to do the rest. The probability surrounding the cat happened to work faster.

Yup. There are footers for the other posts that they already removed.

Stupid cat though. Good thing he's got 8 more lives.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Like in "feeble as a one-legged deck"?

Or "folded like a DIY deck".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/Q5YhiZu.gifv
https://giant.gfycat.com/SparklingBountifulAnteater.mp4

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's a feature, it washes your stairs every time it rains

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I assume the correct way to handle this is to put a gutter or dyke at the top of the stairs?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yep. A channel cut off to the side is probably the easiest, especially in a situation where the stairs are the lowest point and surrounded by impermeable materials.

On that one, it looks like originally water was supposed to drain down off to the side but it got damaged/filled in/overgrown.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 11, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's called a fish ladder you idiots.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

I slammed up cove/crown molding when I ran out of patience. However, I happen to have a compound miter saw.

That is definitely on my list of tools I need. But also I need to clean out the garage and make room.

Things smoothed out on the second pass. Not as dark as I thought, but I'm glad I doubled the lighting in here. Also I need a countertop.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Are those really deep machines or really shallow cabinets?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Are those really deep machines or really shallow cabinets?

Most washing machines/dryers are about the same depth as most kitchen cabinets, maybe they're out from the wall a bit for the washer's plumbing/exhaust from the dryer.

E: actually either there's something odd happening with the perspective on the bottom half of the photo or they are super deep or like a foot away from the wall lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah the photo is fine til you scroll down :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah the photo is fine til you scroll down :v:
Appliances by Escher

Descherating

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah it's an odd perspective. The bottom cabinet is about 24" deep, while the machines are 31" + 4" off the wall for the exhaust.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume the correct way to handle this is to put a gutter or dyke at the top of the stairs?
how is having a lesbian on the stairs supposed to help

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Yawgmoth posted:

how is having a lesbian on the stairs supposed to help

Well where else are you going to put them? They can't go in the basement, that is where the bears are.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
And this is why you close off your attic, so that raccoons and squirrels don't make shitcicles in the winter:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Home crappy construction story time. Previous owners renovated the kitchen something like 5-6 years ago, new cabinets, sinks, etc. Found out over the weekend that when the rerouted the drain for the kitchen sink, they decided to wall up the old connection, and not even bother plugging it, they just stuffed a dirty rag into the hole. Found this out because my drain pipe was clogged down in the basement, and water starting backing up and coming out of the open sewer.

Now I have to go into my kitchen and cut a hole in the backside of one of my cabinets to get at the thing and put a proper plug in it. Not looking forward to what hell will be unleashed when I yank the rag out of there.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Home crappy construction story time. Previous owners renovated the kitchen something like 5-6 years ago, new cabinets, sinks, etc. Found out over the weekend that when the rerouted the drain for the kitchen sink, they decided to wall up the old connection, and not even bother plugging it, they just stuffed a dirty rag into the hole. Found this out because my drain pipe was clogged down in the basement, and water starting backing up and coming out of the open sewer.

Now I have to go into my kitchen and cut a hole in the backside of one of my cabinets to get at the thing and put a proper plug in it. Not looking forward to what hell will be unleashed when I yank the rag out of there.

:barf:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ram the rag farther in and and cap the pipe, entombing the rag forever.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Ram the rag farther in and and cap the pipe, entombing the rag forever.

I wish, but then it would block up my vent pipe, so it has to come out.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Tore down the Sheetrock on an exterior facing wall.

Wall is black but studs looks clean-ish.

Is this some sort of old timey construction technique (tar?) from the 1930s... or mold. :ohdear:

And what about the area behind/around this poorly framed window. :aaa:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh dear god

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Probably asphalt impregnated fiberboard. Looks like some mould around that window though.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

My mold allergy was set off just by looking at that second photo.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I recommend fire.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

That has the added benefit of also testing for asbestos.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My wall looked similar, not as bad but close. Wood sill under the window was rotten. Did the same thing the engineers recommended on a biogrowth job I did downtown, bleached the gently caress out of it and replaced the rotten pieces. Vapor barrier wasn’t a thing when these old houses were built. The tile was the only water barrier.

I think white vinegar is actually better at killing things, but I didn’t know that until recently. If sealed up it won’t get worse and it won’t come inside.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey guys, I have a resources question. My boyfriend, who did not grow up with the benefit of This Old House playing on PBS all the time and without a whole room of his house devoted to power tools, is now working for McLargeCorp's as a systems and sales engineer in charge of revewing contractor estimates and blueprints.

Until two days ago, he did not know the difference between plywood and sheetrock, other then their relevant costs. He is eager to learn though! He's a real champ like that, it's why I keep him around <3 . He watched six hours of random youtube vids on construction in a sitting, taking notes. He's wondering what on-line resources are good elementary level explanations of basic construction and finishing building principles, particularly with regards to commercial building.

I suggested This Old House and following my dad around Lowes for 20 years asking pesky questions, but other then that, I'm stumped.

therobit posted:

This guy's gonna build a Groverhaus isn't he?

I have a pretty hard philosophical line on land/build price VS expected return value VS gently caress this I'm leaving the design to a factory I can add mods and colors to. JUST LIKE MODEL BUILDING! All I can promise you is a lovely shed at some point. Possibly a bonkers barn. Probably just a boring prefab I finagel an extra porch onto off the kitchen. But no, Groverhaus is to be avoided. Sorry folks!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 14, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey guys, I have a resources question. My boyfriend, who did not grow up with the benefit of This Old House playing on PBS all the time and without a whole room of his house devoted to power tools, is now working for McLargeCorp's as a systems and sales engineer in charge of revewing contractor estimates and blueprints.

Until two days ago, he did not know the difference between plywood and sheetrock, other then their relevant costs. He is eager to learn though! He's a real champ like that, it's why I keep him around <3 . He watched six hours of random youtube vids on construction in a sitting, taking notes. He's wondering what on-line resources are good elementary level explanations of basic construction and finishing building principles, particularly with regards to commercial building.

I suggested This Old House and following my dad around Lowes for 20 years asking pesky questions, but other then that, I'm stumped.

This guy's gonna build a Groverhaus isn't he?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

StormDrain posted:

My wall looked similar, not as bad but close. Wood sill under the window was rotten. Did the same thing the engineers recommended on a biogrowth job I did downtown, bleached the gently caress out of it and replaced the rotten pieces. Vapor barrier wasn’t a thing when these old houses were built. The tile was the only water barrier.

I think white vinegar is actually better at killing things, but I didn’t know that until recently. If sealed up it won’t get worse and it won’t come inside.

Bleach is not an effective mold remediation product. It cannot penetrate porous or semi-porous surfaces, and it chemically neutralizes within hours, so it does not prevent future mold growth. Vinegar is no better.

Buy a mold remediation product, such as Concrobium.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Digital War posted:

Probably asphalt impregnated fiberboard. Looks like some mould around that window though.

Seconding this on the first photo.

Have fun framing / sistering/sealing #2 though

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't know about commercial building, but when I was studying up for building my workshop, I found Graphic Guide to Frame Construction to be quite useful. It does a great job of laying out how and why different bits of houses go together the way they do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

it chemically neutralizes within hours, so it does not prevent future mold growth.

Simple enough to solve. Hook up to the bleach line and leave the faucet dripping.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The organic looking white splotches below the window sure look a lot like the so-called "dry rot" I've seen on property programs on tv.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

If you're looking for actual books, this one is pretty good, in addition to the one the other goon mentioned.

I was familiar with a bunch of building terms, had done a bit of framing drywalling etc... But this did a good job at explaining and clarifying a lot of stuff.
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/housebuilding-a-do-it-yourself/9781402743160-item.html?ikwid=house+building&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=19

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

He's wondering what on-line resources are good elementary level explanations of basic construction and finishing building principles, particularly with regards to commercial building.

He should watch Canada's Worst Handyman, because they show basic skills and concepts and then a bunch of idiots loving up. As a viewer, you feel very smug in the assumption that even though you've never picked up a grout float, and didn't even know that was a thing until two minutes ago, you could do a better job than these people. There's a couple seasons on Netflix and more on Youtube.

If he wants practical experience, he could volunteer at a Habitat for Humanity build, or maybe in one of their stores if you have one nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If he wants practical experience, he could volunteer at a Habitat for Humanity build, or maybe in one of their stores if you have one nearby.

This is probably the best answer. Immersion is the best educator. Plus he'll be surrounded by people who will be more than happy to teach.