Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Mikl posted:

A clear pool of water in a bog? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Can we examine both? Anyway, fruit first.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Evil swamp! Touch nothing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

achtungnight posted:

This place is making me paranoid. Wait for Paido.
It's not paranoia if you really are in a jungle of horrors.

The Jungle of Horrors posted:

When Paido finally climbs down from the tree, his face betrays his anxiety. ‘What is wrong?’ you ask impatiently.

‘There is no signal,’ he replies. ‘I have scanned every direction with the starguider, but it can detect no korlinium signal. It isn’t damaged, of that I’m sure. It’s simply as if the temple has disappeared.’

You take the device from Paido’s hand and climb the twisted tree trunk. He shouts instructions and you set the starguider into operation, scanning the distant horizon and waiting for the tell-tale click that will reveal the direction of the lost temple of the Elder Magi. But Paido is right—there is no signal; and without a signal there is no hope of finding the Lorestone of Ohrido.

You are about to abandon the search and jump down from the tree when you see something on the northern horizon that you hadn’t noticed before. An island of red volcanic rock rises out of the mire, one of four flat-topped islands grouped in a diamond close to the eastern edge of the crater. Perhaps the temple is on the other side of that island. Perhaps that is why the starguider will emit no signal?

You climb down and ask Paido what he thinks. He stares to the north and ponders the problem. ‘Yes, it is possible,’ he says thoughtfully, ‘it is just possible.’

Healing: +1 EP (30/37).

Hope returns and your spirits rise with the expectation of finding the lost temple beyond the isle of red rock. You set off without delay, anxious to cover the ten-mile trek before the sun sets and darkness engulfs the Danarg.

For the most part the swamp mire is firm underfoot and the inhabitants pose no problems that cannot be solved by a few shouts or well-placed weapon blows. But, as the sky darkens and you draw nearer to the plateau, the going becomes more difficult. A carpet of vines, thick with mould, covers a surface of muddy holes and hollows. Often a seeming puddle proves to be a bottomless fissure. Progress becomes so slow that you fear you will never reach the island before dark.

Healing: +1 EP (31/37).

Paido is leading the way across a tangled mat of barbed vines when a wave disturbs the muddy ooze below. Suddenly the great head of a silver swamp python bursts through the rotting creepers and raises its tree-thick coils high in the air. Awesome jaws set with double-tiered fangs tower above you, glistening in the fading light. A drop of venom falls from the fangs and sets the quagmire boiling.

Healing: +1 EP (32/37).

The great snake flicks its tongue and lunges forward, intent on consuming you both in its massive jaws.

Silver Swamp Python: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 60

Owing to the swiftness of its attack, you do not have time to use a bow. Unless you possess the Magnakai Discipline of Curing and have reached the rank of Primate, double all ENDURANCE point losses you sustain during the combat, due to the snake’s venomous bite.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 32
Silver Swamp Python: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 60
Combat Ratio: 9

We roll: 7
Silver Swamp Python: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 44

We roll: 8
Silver Swamp Python: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 26

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 28
Silver Swamp Python: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 14

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 28
Silver Swamp Python: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 0

The arrival of the swamp python frightened away the crawling denizens of the mire, but now they are returning to satisfy their curiosity. Hordes of slithering lizard-beasts gather at the edge of the floating morass, inching their way nearer as they assess your strengths and weaknesses. Relentlessly you push your way through the soggy vegetation until you reach the jagged rock wall of the island, urged on all the way by a hissing chorus of swamp creatures.

Healing: +1 EP (29/37).

Long streamers of moss-covered vines hang down the red rock wall in huge numbers, inviting you to climb onto the plateau above. After the uncertain ground of the swamp, the hard, jagged rock is a welcome relief. You make good progress, reaching the top just as the sun is sinking into a sea of scarlet mist that shrouds the eastern Danarg. In the failing light, you discover a trail that winds northwards through the knee-high foliage.

Healing: +1 EP (30/37).

Even in the failing light, you can see that this trail is frequently used: the spongy vegetation is crushed flat, and a profusion of tracks are imprinted on the loamy soil. The tracks were made by man-sized creatures, bare-footed and web-toed. Close to the main trail winds another, less obvious, track. For some reason someone or something has gone to great lengths to keep this trail secret.

Healing: +1 EP (31/37).
Do we follow the main trail or the hidden one?

The hidden trail is only visible because we have Pathsmanship. And of course the fruit and pool were traps.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Yay progress. Let's go with the hidden path of course!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Secure the main path! The hidden area is probably another trap, methinks.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Something we can only find thanks to our skills? Sounds good to me.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mikl posted:

Yup.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Mikl posted:

Let's check out the DLC.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Secure the main path! The hidden area is probably another trap, I think.
With that attitude you'll never get anywhere.

A full moon bathes the island in its ashen rays, maintaining perpetual twilight. The trail enters a dense thicket of trees, and you can see that it leads to a settlement of crudely made huts. Dark shapes move between them, human once, but far from human now.

‘Ghagrim,’ says Paido softly but with fear in his voice, ‘the man-beasts of the Danarg. Come, let’s get away from here while we still can.’

Healing: +1 EP (32/37).

Swiftly and silently they leave their huts, creeping like cats stalking their prey. They move on two legs, although they appear better suited to loping on all fours. You turn and run for all you are worth, but this is their territory and they know every fold in the ground. Swiftly they gain on you, forcing you to stand and fight.

Healing: +1 EP (33/37).
Do we fight with bow, sword or fireseed?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
The book wouldn't gently caress us over a second time with the fireseeds now would it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Helios Grime posted:

The book wouldn't gently caress us over a second time with the fireseeds now would it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yes. We have a meme and wish to use it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Helios Grime posted:

Yes it would. Let's use the fireseeds.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Fireseed!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Our stock of fireseeds is limited and this doesn't seem to be a situation that demands them. Let's go with bow.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
drat lottery’s stuck on me again. We have a bow and we wish to use it!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
As much as I love WHABAWWTUI, I have to advocate for the path of seared eyebrows: use fireseeds again!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Use the bow on the manimals!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
After the spectacular debacle, let's use the Bow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tangent but I think I broke the lone wolf saga app

Time for some sick dual wielding!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

*glances over the list* oh, that's not that bad *notices the two Sommerswerds, Silver Bows, and Daggers of Vashna*

:stonk:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Probably has something to do with the fact that they count as weapons and special items and having all your stuff taken in Castle Death.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's from the cauldron of fear actually. I can mention how it happened when we reach it if it's cool with Tiggum

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

It's from the cauldron of fear actually. I can mention how it happened when we reach it if it's cool with Tiggum
Yeah, that's fine.

RudeCat posted:

Use the bow on the manimals!
It does seem a shame to have this cool bow and not use it.

You draw an Arrow and take aim at the man-like creature close on your heels. Short-tufted fur covers his body and yellow tusks curl up from his boar-like snout. He wields an iron sword, old and rust-gnawed, and his eyes are black and cold.

Healing: +1 EP (34/37).
We roll: 3 +3 (Silver Bow) +3 (Weaponmastery) = 9

Your Arrow sinks deep into the Ghagrim’s thick neck, bringing it crashing to the ground. It tries to lift itself but is trodden underfoot by another of its kin, who snatches up the iron sword and licks the blade before yelling its battle-cry.

Healing: +1 EP (35/37).
Do we use the bow again, draw our sword or run away?

We needed a 5 or higher to hit. We have four arrows remaining.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You shouldn't need to ask. Bow bow bow

Also, drat, I can't dual wield my two Sommerswerds.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 14, 2018

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We Have a Bow and We Wish to Use It Repeatedly.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Use the bow. Two arrows, two kills, let’s do this!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Repetition is predictability. Predictability is a weakness. Let's smite them with our sword this time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Consumables > Powers > Everything Else

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

Repetition is predictability. Predictability is a weakness. Let's smite them with our sword this time.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Sword it up.

Also, check out what I spotted at the Science Fiction Bookshop here in Sweden:

(Not pictured: A Swedish translation of the Lone Wolf Adventure Game from Cubicle 7, on the shelf above.)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

achtungnight posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Might as well continue the way we started.

Your shaft penetrates deep into the creature’s rib cage but he seems unmoved. He breaks the flights and hurls them at you as he closes in for combat.

Healing: +1 EP (36/37).
Do we switch to our sword or run away?

ShadowWraith
Mar 28, 2011
I feel like the swamp dwellers might be faster than us in a swamp. Stand and fight!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

ShadowWraith posted:

I feel like the swamp dwellers might be faster than us in a swamp. Stand and fight!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

ShadowWraith posted:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Tangent but I think I broke the lone wolf saga app

Do you still have to replay the entire loving book if you die in the app?

The Kai Chronicles one is much better IMO, it doesn't have all the books (yet) but the typesetting and UI are definitely superior. Also, savestates.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Run away! I have a bad feeling about any monster who can shrug off an arrow like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

Do you still have to replay the entire loving book if you die in the app?

The Kai Chronicles one is much better IMO, it doesn't have all the books (yet) but the typesetting and UI are definitely superior. Also, savestates.

Yes and no - if a page kills you, you're done, but if you lose a fight, immediately quit and restart the app and you can replay the fight.
I'm up to the grand master series now and thought there was a new order series? Doesn't seem to be in there.