Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

skasion posted:

I’m pretty sure that way back in “The King of the Golden Hall” Gandalf got Theoden to commit to defeating Isengard first and then wheeling around to attack Mordor.

quote:

There is no time to tell all that you should hear,’ said Gandalf. ‘Yet if my hope is not cheated, a time will come ere long
when I can speak more fully. Behold! you are come into a peril greater even than the wit of Wormtongue could weave into your
dreams. But see! you dream no longer. You live. Gondor and Rohan do not stand alone. The enemy is strong beyond our reckoning,
yet we have a hope at which he has not guessed.’

Quickly now Gandalf spoke. His voice was low and secret, and none save the king heard what he said. But ever as he spoke the
light shone brighter in Théoden’s eye, and at the last he rose from his seat to his full height, and Gandalf beside him, and
together they looked out from the high place towards the East.

‘Verily,’ said Gandalf, now in a loud voice, keen and clear, ‘that way lies our hope, where sits our greatest fear. Doom hangs
still on a thread. Yet hope there is still, if we can but stand unconquered for a little while.’

The others too now turned their eyes eastward. Over the sundering leagues of land, far away they gazed to the edge of sight,
and hope and fear bore their thoughts still on, beyond dark mountains to the Land of Shadow. Where now was the Ring-bearer?
How thin indeed was the thread upon which doom still hung! It seemed to Legolas, as he strained his farseeing eyes, that he
caught a glint of white: far away perchance the sun twinkled on a pinnacle of the Tower of
Guard. And further still, endlessly remote and yet a present threat, there was a tiny tongue of flame.
[Eomer appears and Theoden gives the call to arms]
Take back your sword, Éomer, sister-son!’ said the king. ‘Go, Háma!, and seek my own sword! Gríma has it in his keeping. Bring
him to me also. Now, Gandalf, you said that you had counsel to give, if I would hear it. What is your counsel?’

‘You have yourself already taken it,’ answered Gandalf. ‘To put your trust in Éomer, rather than in a man of crooked mind.
To cast aside regret and fear. To do the deed at hand. Every man that can ride should be sent west at once, as Éomer counselled
you: we must first destroy the threat of Saruman, while we have time. If we fail, we fall. If we succeed – then we will face
the next task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Rereading that chapter, Gandalf is really kind of subtle about it. He never comes out and says in the dialogue “attack Mordor”, but still repeatedly points Theoden in that direction. When he uncloaks himself:

quote:

He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.

Then they head outside at Gandalf’s suggestion and take a look eastward:

quote:

But the wind had shifted to the north, and already the storm that had come out of the East was receding, rolling away southward to the sea. Suddenly through a rent in the clouds behind them a shaft of sun stabbed down. The falling showers gleamed like silver, and far away the river glittered like a shimmering glass.

‘It is not so dark here,’ said Théoden.

Gandalf then speaks secretly in Theoden’s ear for a while as they look out eastwards and then says loud enough for everyone to hear:

quote:

’Verily,’ said Gandalf, now in a loud voice, keen and clear, ‘that way lies our hope, where sits our greatest fear. Doom hangs still on a thread. Yet hope there is still, if we can but stand unconquered for a little while.’

Legolas thinks he can see the White Tower in the distance, and beyond it a tongue of flame. Theoden seems beaten down by his situation, “alas that these evil days shall be mine”. Gandalf suggests he grasp a sword. Eomer gives Theoden his for the time being, since Grima’s got Theoden’s stowed away somewhere, and Theoden flourishes it and cries:

quote:

“Arise now, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Dire deeds awake, dark is it eastward.
Let horse be bridled, horn be sounded!
Forth Eorlingas!”

This is an open summons to war against Mordor (and his guards take it literally as such and come right up to him asking for commands). Then he asks Gandalf what counsel he has to give, and Gandalf says more or less “listen to Eomer, who already told you Saruman was bad news”.

quote:

“Every man that can ride should be sent west at once, as Éomer counselled you: we must first destroy the threat of Saruman, while we have time. If we fail, we fall. If we succeed – then we will face the next task.”

This is great stuff honestly. Gandalf never mentions Mordor or Sauron by name and he never openly says you should go to war against them (even his secret speech with Theoden apparently did not constitute “counsel” of that kind). But he constantly implies it such that Theoden clearly understands he must do it as soon as Saruman’s defeated.

e: beaten

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

One of the hallmarks of Tolkiens 'wise' characters is that they seldom tell anyone exactly what to do, but instead lay out the situation so that what needs to be done is obvious. But as Frodo pointed out to Gildor, this leads to real problems when the right course of action isn't clear. But part of the wisdom of the wise is that they can't make people's decisions for them. That is really what separates Saruman and Sauron from Gandalf. Saruman and Sauron want to control, while Gandalf is content to be an advisor and helper. This is also why the ring is such a threat to Gandalf, because it would make him want to contol people.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hmm Gandalf goes far beyond mere helper or advisor.

His dream manipulation for one is a bit beyond just helping. Also he directly intervenes with Frodo to take off the ring. And killing the werewolves and the Balrog and usurping Deanothor

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 13, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

His dream manipulation for one is a bit beyond just helping. Also he directly intervenes with Frodo to take off the ring. And killing the werewolves and the Balrog and usurping Deanothor

One might say . . . He was no angel

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

One of the hallmarks of Tolkiens 'wise' characters is that they seldom tell anyone exactly what to do, but instead lay out the situation so that what needs to be done is obvious. But as Frodo pointed out to Gildor, this leads to real problems when the right course of action isn't clear. But part of the wisdom of the wise is that they can't make people's decisions for them. That is really what separates Saruman and Sauron from Gandalf. Saruman and Sauron want to control, while Gandalf is content to be an advisor and helper. This is also why the ring is such a threat to Gandalf, because it would make him want to contol people.
I thought this was Tolkien's Catholicism peeking through vis a vis all powerful beings knowing what's going to happen but still having to give people free will to screw up.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

euphronius posted:

This is semantics. He helps Frodo take off the ring, he helps the Fellowship survive the werewolves, he helps Faramir not get murdered by Denethor. I never said Gandalf never intervenes. But his intervention is always in service to another.

It is also worth noting that Gandalf is fairly direct with the hobbits, and is generally more willing to take direct action in their defense than for almost any other purpose. This is because Gandalfs sense of justice pushes him to protect the weak. But by the end of the story the hobbits aren't weak, so he allows them to take care of their problems on their own.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Semantics are important. I agree. We should keep focusing on them probably.

His intervention is based on his literally holy crusade that helps certain men and certain elves achieve hegemony. The elves are more of an afterthought really. He's pro man.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 13, 2018

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

euphronius posted:

Semantics are important. I agree. We should keep focusing on them probably.

His intervention is based on his literally holy crusade that helps certain men and certain elves achieve hegemony. The elves are more of an afterthought really. He's pro man.

Gandalf's 'crusade' is to act as a a balance against Sauron. There is a very 'white man's burden' vibe to the Numenorean relationship to the Southrons and Easterlings, but that is largely a product of how Tolkien viewed the world. Gandalf's limitations are a mirror of his author's, his support for Aragorn and Gondor is half necessity and half a reflection of the colonial world as Tolkien saw it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I agree with that completely.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gandalf "aids" Men because they are good at fighting and Gandalf needs soldiers for his war. His aim is to defeat Sauron, not something so small and petty as to keep specific royal families in power in certain regions.

The Return of the King isn't the victory, it's the method (except he'd won over Faramir so even if Aragorn had failed he had a ready backup to gain Gondor's forces).

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
It’s pretty appropriate that we’re discussing this now, given that Gandalf Day is tomorrow

Anyway he ALSO assassinated the ruler of an independent orc nation that didn’t answer to Sauron, causing tribal splintering and a power vacuum that destabilized the whole region and doubtless helped the Necromancer rebuild his armies. But at least he offed the Balrog.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He crowned Aragorn long after Sauron was dead.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Of course, Aragorn had positioned himself as the heir of a dynasty that had been founded with the support and by the command of Manwe, not to mention Gandalf's own boss Aule.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bongo Bill posted:

Of course, Aragorn had positioned himself as the heir of a dynasty that had been founded with the support and by the command of Manwe, not to mention Gandalf's own boss Aule.

Aule was Saruman’s boss; Gandalf’s was, um, Varda?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

He wasn’t all in with any one Vala. Tolkien associates him variously with Manwë, Varda, Nienna and Lórien.

e: in his capacity as one of the Istari though, Manwë is the most applicable “boss” because he’s the one who picked him for the task.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 13, 2018

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

elise the great posted:

It’s pretty appropriate that we’re discussing this now, given that Gandalf Day is tomorrow

Anyway he ALSO assassinated the ruler of an independent orc nation that didn’t answer to Sauron, causing tribal splintering and a power vacuum that destabilized the whole region and doubtless helped the Necromancer rebuild his armies. But at least he offed the Balrog.

I doubt that the Great Goblin would have resisted Sauron once he openly declared himself. Helping Thorin in general was a pretty dubious decision on Gandalf's part though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The way I see it Gandalf the Grey has mostly forgotten what the hell he is supposed to be doing and it takes the arrival of the ring on the scene to catalyze him into fulfilling his mission again. I forget if this agrees with The Quest of Erebor/Appendix take but I really don’t see Gandalf as having a master plan stretching back to the beginning of The Hobbit. He‘s a general do-gooder type and will gladly help the dwarves take back the mountain if he can, because dragons are bad news, but I don’t see him as working constantly against Sauron for 2000 years.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well there is the whole investigation and attack on Dol Guldur.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

euphronius posted:

Well there is the whole investigation and attack on Dol Guldur.

That’s right at the same time as The Hobbit though, isn’t it? Like the reason why Gandalf leaves the dwarves on their own in Mirkwood is because he’s off to gently caress poo poo up down there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well yeah but the investigation and watch was for hundreds of years iirc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

The way I see it Gandalf the Grey has mostly forgotten what the hell he is supposed to be doing and it takes the arrival of the ring on the scene to catalyze him into fulfilling his mission again. I forget if this agrees with The Quest of Erebor/Appendix take but I really don’t see Gandalf as having a master plan stretching back to the beginning of The Hobbit. He‘s a general do-gooder type and will gladly help the dwarves take back the mountain if he can, because dragons are bad news, but I don’t see him as working constantly against Sauron for 2000 years.

He's foggy but he's not clueless; that said ,yeah, the purpose of backing Thorin is to try to get rid of Smaug.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

elise the great posted:

Gandalf Day?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

skasion posted:

I’ve always liked to think that the blue wizards who hosed off south and east did enough to stop the lands of the Easterlings from sending overwhelming reinforcements to Sauron against Gondor, but as far as I know there’s no evidence any which way.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whoops about whom Gandalf was aligned with.

Establishing a country hostile to Mordor right on Sauron's flank did end up dividing his forces during the war, even if that wasn't the intention. Removing the ambiguously Enemy-aligned Smaug from play was certainly a foreseeably useful move.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

You don't think restoring Thorin in Erebor as undisputed High King of the Dwarves wouldn't have/didn't come in handy in the War?

The risks he took (with others lives) had clear and obvious payoffs, regardless of whatever general do-goodery you ascribe to him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pretty sure the appendix describe a northern front against Sauron during the Ring war.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gandalf doesn't care about Lake people. He'll happily watch them burn if it means he gets a strong dwarf army and +2 axes for his woodsmen.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Vavrek posted:

Gandalf Day?

On February 14 3019, Gandalf the White arose in power from his death and defeat to walk the stones of Middle-Earth again.

Also Frodo looked into Galadriel’s mirror and, depending on which screenplay you’re following, may or may not have boned the enchantress queen of Lothlorien.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

euphronius posted:

Pretty sure the appendix describe a northern front against Sauron during the Ring war.

Yep. Bard's son or grandson died in it, for starters. Brand?

Time for a reread, I think, my memory's gone to poo poo.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

Could any of you fine folk help a fellow out with the proper pronunciations of some names? I'm almost certain that I'm pronouncing the following wrong:

Amarië (Am-are-ee-ey)
Anairë (An-air-ey)
Elenwë (Ell-en-way)
Míriel (Mere-ee-ell)

I am no linguist, sadly. :shobon:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Jimmy Noskill posted:

Could any of you fine folk help a fellow out with the proper pronunciations of some names? I'm almost certain that I'm pronouncing the following wrong:

Amarië (Am-are-ee-ey)
Anairë (An-air-ey)
Elenwë (Ell-en-way)
Míriel (Mere-ee-ell)

I am no linguist, sadly. :shobon:

Anairë should be (An-ire-ey). Second syllable rhymes with “fire”. In Quenya, diphthongs always sound more like the first letter and glide into the second, so “ai” is never pronounced with an eh sound: Dunedain rhymes with line, not train.

The others are ok I think.

skasion fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 13, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

English vowel pronunciations/values are the stupidest loving thing.

More like Great Vowel poo poo imho

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

I doubt that the Great Goblin would have resisted Sauron once he openly declared himself. Helping Thorin in general was a pretty dubious decision on Gandalf's part though.

The goblins would have toppled to communism the Enemy like dominoes.

Gandalf is the CIA.

Did you know that the illegal trade in pipe weed was started by an itinerant wizard?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's also interesting that powerful characters resist Gandalf's meddling. Denethor stubbornly refuses to accept most of Gandalf's counsel and while the reasons for that are layered I think at least part of it has to do with Denethor being an exceptionally powerful person with a will like iron and he does not trust the meddling of Gandalf. Gandalf mentions that the blood of Numenor runs almost pure in Denethor and that blood gives him powers of foresight and wisdom. He considers himself (rightly!) a rival in that sense to people like Gandalf, Galadriel, etc.

Saruman resists Gandalf for similar reasons. There's a strong undercurrent of Denethor/Saruman basically considering themselves Gandalf's equal and being unwilling to accept his counsel at least in part on those merits because I get the sense that they think he's almost talking down to them as though how he tries to help weaker folks.

I think where Gandalf errs with both of them is he comes at them like a counselor. That style works on people willing to accept Gandalf's superior intelligence/wisdom but for people who consider themselves Gandalf's equal they feel threatened by his approach. If he was ever going to convince Saruman/Denethor of their wrongs, he was going to need to do it in a way where they independently came to that conclusion without his direct intervention. They were too proud and powerful individually to accept his counsel otherwise.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't have any textual support for this, but I can't help but notice that both Denethor and Saruman have previously had their perceptions affected by Sauron by using the Palantir. Isn't it possible that Gandalf simply doesn't have the opportunity to undermine the influence of a greater power that has been working on them both for much longer and with considerable subtlety?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I've been reading the Hobbit and I'm really enjoying it so far. I've never read it before and my only experience was the films but it's really eye opening.

One thing that's jumped out already is how the films make Thorin such an rear end in a top hat from the beginning when in the book he's not a dick, just very much wanting to get the journey started. Excited to see other differences like this as I go.

edit: This is as of the end of the first chapter. I'll keep posting my thoughts as I read, assuming that's something y'all are interested in.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 14, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

I don't have any textual support for this, but I can't help but notice that both Denethor and Saruman have previously had their perceptions affected by Sauron by using the Palantir. Isn't it possible that Gandalf simply doesn't have the opportunity to undermine the influence of a greater power that has been working on them both for much longer and with considerable subtlety?

I think that's certainly part of it but I feel like Sauron is just working on pride/discontent that was already there for Denethor/Saruman. Basically Sauron made it worse, but it was there before him. Gandalf even warns Pippin before talking to Denethor that Denethor is a different kind of King from Theoden and is much wiser/deadlier.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ginette Reno posted:

Saruman resists Gandalf for similar reasons. There's a strong undercurrent of Denethor/Saruman basically considering themselves Gandalf's equal and being unwilling to accept his counsel at least in part on those merits because I get the sense that they think he's almost talking down to them as though how he tries to help weaker folks.

I think where Gandalf errs with both of them is he comes at them like a counselor. That style works on people willing to accept Gandalf's superior intelligence/wisdom but for people who consider themselves Gandalf's equal they feel threatened by his approach. If he was ever going to convince Saruman/Denethor of their wrongs, he was going to need to do it in a way where they independently came to that conclusion without his direct intervention. They were too proud and powerful individually to accept his counsel otherwise.

Saruman considers himself Gandalf's superior (and so does Gandalf up until their big confrontation), but he's always been twitchy about it since that ambiguous Valar remark before the wizards left Valinor. I think he'd have issues with Gandalf however Gandalf behaved because he's got a thing about status and having to be the wizard in charge, which may feed into the idea he seems to get that he can steer and manage Sauron.

Denethor, I think, suspects (correctly) that Gandalf wants to bring back the line of kings, which would shunt him and his adored heir down the status ladder to actual Steward instead of effective ruler (and possibly not even that if a new king decides he doesn't want a hereditary Steward).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

axeil posted:

edit: This is as of the end of the first chapter. I'll keep posting my thoughts as I read, assuming that's something y'all are interested in.

Hell yeah. I had it read to me by my mum when I was tiny, so seeing someone's reaction who's new to it really interests me.