Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Statutory Ape posted:

Whats a good laptop to get to "play" with? Something i could play around with replacing the monitor etc? Maybe a t450 like was just suggested. Literally just looking for something i can grab cheap and fix, just for fun/boredom/learning

Dell Precision. You can pick up a previous gen (M4800/M4700) 15" for pretty cheap, often on craigslist, and Dell GIVES you an Owner's manual that tells you how to disassemble every single component.

Generally has excellent hardware, an MXM III slot for limited GPU upgrades, and a socketed CPU plus 4 DDR3 slots and an mSATA compatible slot. You can swap out the CD/DVD Tray with a Hard Disk adapter too, so you can run 3 hard disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

If it was properly utilized, all you'd get is the Console :colbert:

But I kid: Apple has its place, and if you want a no-nonsense computer, they are great. But otherwise: You can get 10x better hardware for way less from nearly anybody else's Enterprise selection (HP Elitebook, Dell Precision) or a Gaming Systems (Asus ROG, MSI, etc.)

Apples build quality is superb, their OS is delightful, but the premium is generally not worth it.

Unless your running a business (I am) that has software that is Mac only, and you just need the drat thing to work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LionArcher posted:

Unless your running a business (I am) that has software that is Mac only, and you just need the drat thing to work.

Obviously. But its also why locked in software solutions suck.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Chromebooks would be great if I could use Zotero with it. Or is there a better free way to do citations.

I use Zotero on my Chrombook, via crouton (Ubuntu in a chroot). Works fine if you're willing to get crouton set up, mess around on the command line, etc.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
i would be willing to get a chromebook for linux usage use if it was adequately powered and had a nice keyboard + acceptable screen

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AverySpecialfriend posted:

i would be willing to get a chromebook for linux usage use if it was adequately powered and had a nice keyboard + acceptable screen

Well, you're in luck!

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
i have extra depreciation i can cash in from my insurance claim after my laptop got jacked so there's no price point difference between a $500 laptop and a $800 laptop out of pocket

i hate laptop shopping because i get huge information overload

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm in a similar situation. Waiting for the quad core ThinkPad t480 (non s version) to be released with the customization option, so I can build a lower spec with the best display. Hopefully under a grand if/when the corporate discount goes live.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Lol no. OSX has its flaws, but it’s still way better. Now if only Apple would fix the MacBooks keyboard 😢

I had an unlimited budget for a new work laptop with no restriction on OS. I have a win 10 laptop at home and a linux laptop at home as well as a chromebook that I use pretty regularly.

In terms of UI I'd rank them

Windows
Linux
OSX
Chrome

I have found that the app "spectacle" seems to fix 98% of the UI shortcomings of OSX and bring them almost in line with Windows 10

Linux and OSX seem best for dev work, most packages are designed with them in mind. OSX and windows are about even when it comes to graphical/creative work and cost barrier is a lot lower with windows machines.

Linux is infinitely tweakable but windows/osx are pretty close these days, and all three OSes have pretty much all the power user features baked in to the core os by default so that's less and less of a concern.

And then for people who don't care about that poo poo and just want to do internet stuff there's chrome os which is Good Enough.

For work I ended up getting a rMBP with i7 and 16GB memory as I had to haul it back and forth to work, and needed something I was comfortable with the software already, and also would have the same power adapter as my phone and future personal windows laptops.

Windows vs Mac vs Linux, doesn't really matter anymore, they're all Good Enough. It's like buying a gas vs diesel vs electric car. For the most part day to day they accomplish the same thing with only minor differences.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

CommieGIR posted:

Dell Precision. You can pick up a previous gen (M4800/M4700) 15" for pretty cheap, often on craigslist, and Dell GIVES you an Owner's manual that tells you how to disassemble every single component.

Generally has excellent hardware, an MXM III slot for limited GPU upgrades, and a socketed CPU plus 4 DDR3 slots and an mSATA compatible slot. You can swap out the CD/DVD Tray with a Hard Disk adapter too, so you can run 3 hard disks.

thank you thats a good suggestion

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I would avoid the *40 series in general, every model in that range has a hosed up trackpad and no physical buttons for the trackpoint. they're very, very irritating to use. You can find a t450 or t450s for $400 easy.

Bob Morales posted:

Check out the Dell 7450 if you want a nice 1080p 14" laptop

Both the t450(s?) and the 7450 look nice for what I'm about to ask. My girlfriend has had rotten luck with laptops, and I want to get her something nice for her birthday. Right now she's using a very terrible old Dell laptop for minor things, and a shoddy ThinkPad T430 as a glorified Skype machine. I want to get her something she can use for web browsing, printing, Netflix watching, and light photo editing. For the latter, she's really into scrapbooking and similar crafts, and is constantly frustrated that her current Dell can't handle the simplest tasks. I love my Yoga 720, so I'll probably go with the T450s. Is there anything I should look out for in a refurb?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
My new (white) XPS 13 was delivered Friday and I'm really liking this laptop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LifeLynx posted:

so I'll probably go with the T450s. Is there anything I should look out for in a refurb?

Just a few things, really:

Does it have the right battery - do you mind having the extended battery that sticks out?
Screen resolution - 1366x768, 1600x900, 1920x1080, is it touch screen.... (I don't think they offer a 4k screen)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LifeLynx posted:

Both the t450(s?) and the 7450 look nice for what I'm about to ask. My girlfriend has had rotten luck with laptops, and I want to get her something nice for her birthday. Right now she's using a very terrible old Dell laptop for minor things, and a shoddy ThinkPad T430 as a glorified Skype machine. I want to get her something she can use for web browsing, printing, Netflix watching, and light photo editing. For the latter, she's really into scrapbooking and similar crafts, and is constantly frustrated that her current Dell can't handle the simplest tasks. I love my Yoga 720, so I'll probably go with the T450s. Is there anything I should look out for in a refurb?

Don't get a thinkpad (other than a recent X1 series) for any photo or video editing if you need color accuracy, especially if you want to match print.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't get a thinkpad (other than a recent X1 series) for any photo or video editing if you need color accuracy, especially if you want to match print.

What would you recommend then in the $400-500 range? Even if refurbished.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

See if you can find an older model XPS 13, the older models have dropped below $600 but have excellent screens. XPS have reliably best in class screens. Good battery life good ergonomics. Not great for Skype though due to weird webcam placement at bottom of screen (unless your girlfriend has really nice looking knuckles)

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Made it about twelve hours on a 1600x900 T450 before going back to my rMBP.

Based on the other Lenovo IPS displays I have seen, I'm not sure the 1080p upgrade will make enough of a difference - the 16:10 aspect ration just feels worlds better in use, and I really enjoy high-resolution displays now. If I can get rid of a few last legacy applications, a Pixelbook might be my best bet.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously. But its also why locked in software solutions suck.

No I totally agree. I wish I could use an x1 Carbon. If only apple would just make OSX run on other hardware. Sigh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LionArcher posted:

No I totally agree. I wish I could use an x1 Carbon. If only apple would just make OSX run on other hardware. Sigh.

Yeah, I wish they'd break that locked in OSX habit. I've got a friend with a Hackintosh, and he loves it, but oh the glitches.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LifeLynx posted:

What would you recommend then in the $400-500 range? Even if refurbished.

Probably a dell xps 13, the 9343 model, or preferably the 9350 if you can find one with 8gb ram for around $500. With that budget you're really going to want to hit ebay / craigslist to get the most out of it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
What do you gentlemen think about the 13" and 15" HP spectre 360 with 8th Intel chips and the mx150?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

When are the Intel+AMD laptops gonna hit?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tsyni posted:

What do you gentlemen think about the 13" and 15" HP spectre 360 with 8th Intel chips and the mx150?

The 13 was already the best 2 in 1 ultrabook by a long shot, apparently the new one is even better. It doesn't come with an mx150 though, that's only the 15" model.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
U can get a 13" with ryzen tho if the gpu is what ur after

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What are the important features of a laptop for college? I'll be studying math, English, econ and comp sci. I don't know my budget. I'm supposed to get a grant, but I don't yet know for how much.
Are the convertibles with pens any good?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

AverySpecialfriend posted:

U can get a 13" with ryzen tho if the gpu is what ur after

In the future, please make the extra effort to form complete words. I know it's hard, but it's worth it, I promise.

Ryzen APUs don't compare with the MX150, or even the 940mx for that matter. They're a lot better than intel's integrated GPUs, but they're not in the same ballpark as anything discrete.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TVsVeryOwn posted:

What are the important features of a laptop for college? I'll be studying math, English, econ and comp sci. I don't know my budget. I'm supposed to get a grant, but I don't yet know for how much.

Build quality and battery life would be high on my list of concerns. If money is no object, I would go for a thinkpad x1 carbon or yoga, otherwise an XPS 13 or Spectre x360. Anything with an 8th gen intel U-series should be good enough for compsci unless you're doing machine learning in which case you'll need a desktop.

Also, it's generally a good idea to have a backup computer of some sort. I've spent a lot of time doing general IT work and there's nobody more hosed than the student who inevitably drenches their machine with beer during finals week. Yes, it'll be out for a couple weeks, no we don't have a loaner to give you. Get an older thinkpad or one of those chinese apollo lake things like the Jumper EZBook 3 Pro. Consider it insurance for your better computer.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The 13 was already the best 2 in 1 ultrabook by a long shot, apparently the new one is even better. It doesn't come with an mx150 though, that's only the 15" model.

I think I may finally pull the trigger and buy one of the 13”ers, so I can stop procrastinating my dissertation.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Working IT has taught me that nothing is as important as having working known-good hardware readily available, and eventually it will get used/come in handy.

Having a few cheap disposable used/refurb windows ultrabooks is crazy nice, especially for travel when you might not want to bring your fancy nice expensive daily driver.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Dell Precision M4600/M4700 for you :getin:

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
800 for a new open box, 7th gen i5, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, qhd xps 13 9360..... Jump?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Why are laptop prices so bad now? My current laptop cost $550 around 2.5 years ago and it has an i5 processor, good battery life, and a touchscreen, plus it's pretty light and it came with an SSD drive (although only 128gb).

It's only 13.3 inches and I've been wishing I had something a bit bigger lately, and I also wouldn't mind upgrading to a quad core processor, but it just seems like the prices aren't that good right now. I guess the current price of ram are partially to blame, but it's pretty annoying.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'd prefer if they just gave them away, tbqh

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's also annoying that in 2018 you still have to be careful because there are tons of laptops that look good at first glance but actually have 1600x900 screens or whatever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I set up a repair for my x1 Carbon this morning and when I got the confirmation email I noticed that it came from an @IBM address. I guess IBM are still handling the repairs on Thinkpads after all these years. Genuinely surprised.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Dell Precision M4600/M4700 for you :getin:

HP ZBook x2 :colbert:

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
I just picked up an XPS 13 9360 w/i7-8550U, 16GB DDR3, 512GB SSD, 13.3" QHD+ for $1235. Ebates is offering 10% cash-back, making the effective price $1110.

Is that a pretty good deal?

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

MrCodeDude posted:

I just picked up an XPS 13 9360 w/i7-8550U, 16GB DDR3, 512GB SSD, 13.3" QHD+ for $1235. Ebates is offering 10% cash-back, making the effective price $1110.

Not wicked-cheap but it's an amazing laptop.

I bought an XPS 13 about a year and a half ago based on this threads recommendations and it's the best laptop bar-none. You can't go back to lovely displays after the QHD+, the battery life is amazing even with the i7 and the QHD, the speakers are surprisingly decent, the thing is frigging small but the no-bezel display gives a large viewing area, and I can actually type on this keyboard with my monster hands. I travel a couple times per month and writing grants/papers on this is a breeze.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

MrCodeDude posted:

Better than i paid for mine from dell a few months back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

mystes posted:

Why are laptop prices so bad now? My current laptop cost $550 around 2.5 years ago and it has an i5 processor, good battery life, and a touchscreen, plus it's pretty light and it came with an SSD drive (although only 128gb).

It's only 13.3 inches and I've been wishing I had something a bit bigger lately, and I also wouldn't mind upgrading to a quad core processor, but it just seems like the prices aren't that good right now. I guess the current price of ram are partially to blame, but it's pretty annoying.

Well they're probably gonna get worse, looks like all the silicon fabs are raising their prices by 20+% soon