Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Most the stuff on that post aren't even right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

You know what they say: ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. So it follows that if you ask a load of stupid questions, you'll get a load of stupid answers. Here we gooooooo

Yes, because English is weird and people use "accident" to mean "vehicle collision."

Well, if "twice as cold" has any meaning, then there are two options: defining it against an arbitrary reference point, or half as hot. The arbitrary reference point is untenable, because it leads to unintuitive situations. For example, let us say that our reference point is 70F, which is pretty standard for "comfortable human temperature." Then -70F would be twice as cold as 0F, since it's twice as far from the reference point. But that also means that 90F is twice as cold as 80F, which doesn't really pass the smell test, in my opinion. That leaves us with the second definition: half as hot, which does actually have a physical meaning. -229.8F is half as hot as 0F because it's half the distance from absolute zero (-459.67F), our handy non-arbitrary reference point.

Yes, it did. It's one of the most amazing and remarkable things in the universe. Out of this entire list, this one most deserves the weed "whoa".

The word "scent" comes from a French word spelled with a (non-silent) s; the c was added in English later. So I would say the c is silent.

This was already explained, but the "d" in "fridge" is an added letter to clarify the pronunciation of the short "i", which wasn't necessary to add to the original word "refrigerator."

You're cleaner, but you're not ever 100% clean. Furthermore, bacteria can live in the towel, feeding off your skin oils and skin flakes, and producing gross smells as a byproduct.

The strange thing about alphabetical order is that it predates English by millennia. Our alphabet comes ultimately from the Greek alphabet, and so does the word "alphabet", which comes from the first two letters in Greek alphabetical order, "alpha beta." No one really knows why the Greek alphabet was ordered the way it was, but it rubbed off on speakers of Latin, and from there to various Latin-based languages like French, and from French to modern English.

You don't need language to think. But often you do use language when you're thinking, and if you're deaf from birth, you've probably learned a form of sign language, and that's what you'll think in.

Yes. Well, 1% chewed-and-mixed-with-stomach-acid nacho.

No, that's not weird. We learn to process language through sound long before we learn to process it through sight, and that auditory understanding of language never leaves us.

This is less like a weed "whoa" moment and more like a dad joke. Words can have more than one meaning.

By the changing of the seasons. The whole business of setting up a calendar system is to track the changing of the seasons, so, y'know, the calendar is synced to that. As for why (for example) the vernal equinox is called "June 21st" instead of rotating everything around so that it occurs on April 2nd or some other day instead, well, that's down to arbitrary tradition going back thousands of years. The history of the modern calendar is pretty interesting, actually, especially with how much the Romans used to gently caress with it.

Yes; the term "dogpile" does not require the animals to be dogs, only that they pile up like a group of fighting dogs. Why ask this question about cats but not about humans? Humans are no more dogs than cats are.

Another dad joke. "Lie" has two meanings. You're telling the truth if you're telling the truth - regardless of whether you're lying in bed.

Put it in a bigger garbage can, or compact it so that it can fit in another garbage can.

Water itself does not activate your taste buds, but it can have flavor for a couple different reasons: 1, because it is impure, and the impurities carry taste; 2, because it washes away a taste that your mouth had adjusted to, thus giving you the opposite taste. For example, if you eat something sour, then wait a bit, your tongue will adjust to the trace amounts of sour left in your mouth, and washing them away with water may taste sweet.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

lmao

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

DontMockMySmock posted:

You know what they say: ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. So it follows that if you ask a load of stupid questions, you'll get a load of stupid answers. Here we gooooooo

Yes, because English is weird and people use "accident" to mean "vehicle collision."

Well, if "twice as cold" has any meaning, then there are two options: defining it against an arbitrary reference point, or half as hot. The arbitrary reference point is untenable, because it leads to unintuitive situations. For example, let us say that our reference point is 70F, which is pretty standard for "comfortable human temperature." Then -70F would be twice as cold as 0F, since it's twice as far from the reference point. But that also means that 90F is twice as cold as 80F, which doesn't really pass the smell test, in my opinion. That leaves us with the second definition: half as hot, which does actually have a physical meaning. -229.8F is half as hot as 0F because it's half the distance from absolute zero (-459.67F), our handy non-arbitrary reference point.

Yes, it did. It's one of the most amazing and remarkable things in the universe. Out of this entire list, this one most deserves the weed "whoa".

The word "scent" comes from a French word spelled with a (non-silent) s; the c was added in English later. So I would say the c is silent.

This was already explained, but the "d" in "fridge" is an added letter to clarify the pronunciation of the short "i", which wasn't necessary to add to the original word "refrigerator."

You're cleaner, but you're not ever 100% clean. Furthermore, bacteria can live in the towel, feeding off your skin oils and skin flakes, and producing gross smells as a byproduct.

The strange thing about alphabetical order is that it predates English by millennia. Our alphabet comes ultimately from the Greek alphabet, and so does the word "alphabet", which comes from the first two letters in Greek alphabetical order, "alpha beta." No one really knows why the Greek alphabet was ordered the way it was, but it rubbed off on speakers of Latin, and from there to various Latin-based languages like French, and from French to modern English.

You don't need language to think. But often you do use language when you're thinking, and if you're deaf from birth, you've probably learned a form of sign language, and that's what you'll think in.

Yes. Well, 1% chewed-and-mixed-with-stomach-acid nacho.

No, that's not weird. We learn to process language through sound long before we learn to process it through sight, and that auditory understanding of language never leaves us.

This is less like a weed "whoa" moment and more like a dad joke. Words can have more than one meaning.

By the changing of the seasons. The whole business of setting up a calendar system is to track the changing of the seasons, so, y'know, the calendar is synced to that. As for why (for example) the vernal equinox is called "June 21st" instead of rotating everything around so that it occurs on April 2nd or some other day instead, well, that's down to arbitrary tradition going back thousands of years. The history of the modern calendar is pretty interesting, actually, especially with how much the Romans used to gently caress with it.

Yes; the term "dogpile" does not require the animals to be dogs, only that they pile up like a group of fighting dogs. Why ask this question about cats but not about humans? Humans are no more dogs than cats are.

Another dad joke. "Lie" has two meanings. You're telling the truth if you're telling the truth - regardless of whether you're lying in bed.

Put it in a bigger garbage can, or compact it so that it can fit in another garbage can.

Water itself does not activate your taste buds, but it can have flavor for a couple different reasons: 1, because it is impure, and the impurities carry taste; 2, because it washes away a taste that your mouth had adjusted to, thus giving you the opposite taste. For example, if you eat something sour, then wait a bit, your tongue will adjust to the trace amounts of sour left in your mouth, and washing them away with water may taste sweet.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

You know what they say

no don’t tell me

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Anybody got that GIF of the PTSD cupcake dog where instead of flashes of atrocities, the flashed images are of Valentine's Day related things?

I'm trying to find it, and I'm sure I saw it around these very forums at some point, but I'm not having much luck finding it.

TIA

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo :randpop:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Anybody got that GIF of the PTSD cupcake dog where instead of flashes of atrocities, the flashed images are of Valentine's Day related things?

Like massacres?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Nice.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Have you ever seen a piece of art that you could swear was made about you?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Bravo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

^^ stealing that

MizPiz posted:

Have you ever seen a piece of art that you could swear was made about you?

nah, that's not the combination of D&D threads I've got read notices on

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmao nice

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
steamed hams isn't good

it's never been good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

joedevola posted:

steamed hams isn't good

it's never been good

You've probably been over grilling them. It's a common mistake.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Powered Descent posted:

Very good. Now, prepare for your final challenge...

Literally a joke from Gallagher
E: I see someone else saw a watermelon get wrecked

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/toivohaimi/status/963690960826888195

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

The strange thing about alphabetical order is that it predates English by millennia.

No. It would be really loving strange if it didn't.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I know it's loss...I just don't know how

Oh god this is the future of puzzles isn't it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Garrand posted:

Oh god this is the future of puzzles isn't it.

My guess is it's the average colour of each panel.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Garrand posted:

correct, it's always loss.

vyelkin posted:

My guess is it's the average colour of each panel.
nope

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Firstborn posted:

Literally a joke from Gallagher
E: I see someone else saw a watermelon get wrecked

Gallagher? I'm pretty sure this joke has been in the common lexicon since like the 30s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8UQ57XPQ60

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrTfYItDDwA

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I just don't get modern art. I used to be hip to Loss memes, but these ones just do nothing for me.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

i may be huffing my own farts but it's not that subtle

though to be fair it requires a bit of work

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SpacePig posted:

I just don't get modern art. I used to be hip to Loss memes, but these ones just do nothing for me.

Did they change what "it" is?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEpMx561Hxs

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

:perfect:

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Got it... the RGB values, if shown as vertical graphs (in Photoshop or something?) would show as "one line, two lines, two lines, two lines with a half-sized one on the right"

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Feb 14, 2018

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Mezzanine posted:

Got it... the RGB values, if shown as vertical graphs (in Photoshop or something?) would show as "one line, two lines, two lines, two lines with a half-sized one on the right"

that's ... not terribly far off and a way better idea even though i don't currently know how to make that work

~

=

01 11
11 10

=

7e

my goal is for someone to shout "OH, MOTHERFUCKER" when they figure it out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gah! And they're Muslims!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Data Graham posted:

Did they change what "it" is?

Back in those days, CAD edits used to have B^Us in them. "Gimme 3 B^Us for a Loss", you'd say.

FFT posted:

that's ... not terribly far off and a way better idea even though i don't currently know how to make that work

~

=

01 11
11 10

=

7e

my goal is for someone to shout "OH, MOTHERFUCKER" when they figure it out

I thought it was going to be something about hex values. Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I thought it was going to be something about hex values. Dang.
B^Ut it is about hex values, dang