Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

They've been doing that at least since they've been granted independence. I had assumed such an identity crisis was foremost on Greece's list before the first debt bubble popped. I even did a cartoon on it back in grade-school.

omg grouchio scan it please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

HorrificExistence posted:

omg grouchio scan it please
I unfortunately seem to have disposed it a while back.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://nabu.gov.ua/novyny/meru-odesy-i-trom-posadovcyam-odeskoyi-miskrady-povidomleno-pro-pidozru-shche-troh-osib
http://dumskaya.net/news/zhurnalist-gennadiy-truhanov-zaderzhan-v-aeropor-082503/

Odessa mayor Trukhanov detain on corruption charges in Kyiv, after returning from bizarre "vacation" that's been going on since late December last year.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 14, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The situation with the new antonov planes seems really dire:
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/rossiya-slams-an-148-reliability-347983/

quote:

The airline has been using the aircraft since June. In the three months to September, including aircrew training flights, the company's five An-148 aircraft flew 1,725h with Rossiya. In that time, 235 problems occurred, requiring over 2,000 man-hours of repair work.

In one 92-day period, one aircraft was unfit to fly for 89 days, Rossiya says.

Rossiya says incidence of technical failure in its fleet occurred once every 344h in the An-148, every 5,355h in its Airbuses, and 2,824h in its Boeing 737s.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Deliberate sabotage? :tinfoil:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Deliberate sabotage? :tinfoil:

Those drat Kulaks are at it again

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Preliminary reports indicate that the Pitot tubes were iced over. So, did the deicing systems malfunction or were they turned off?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Considering the record these planes seem to have, I'm going to bet on broken, though underpaid pilots loving up checklists wouldn't be something terribly new.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Got linked this, it owns af

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Also, I don't know if Vichy France gets much of a pass, maybe from the FN and elements of the French right?

Because of de Gaulle.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Grouchio posted:

They've been doing that at least since they've been granted independence.

Macedonians and Greeks are squabbling over the name and the legacy it has, not modern culture. Macedonian Slavs aren't pretending to be Greek or whatever.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I thought it is known Alexander was Albanian:shrug:
So was Leonardo da Vinci, apparently :allears:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/966632384174219265

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Putin keeps his job then? :downs:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No, he might retire.

:laffo:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Happy "Defender of the Motherland" day to Russian Goons! 100 years ago Red Army was formed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

No, he might retire.

:laffo:
On what basis?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
he's been hinting he's too old for this poo poo for like 10 years now, lol

he literally can't retire because he doesn't have anyone who'd replace him though, afaik

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Grouchio posted:

On what basis?

Modern russia is way beyond even pretending they need legal reasons for arresting or assassinating internal rivals. There's no democracy or rule of law, there's no civil society, no meaningful opposition. Anything remaining is just a show that will stop or be de-clawed the moment it becomes inconvenient.

I really wonder what post-putin russia will look like though, who or what would fill that power vacuum into a system that rests nearly all power at the top.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronjutter posted:

I really wonder what post-putin russia will look like though, who or what would fill that power vacuum into a system that rests nearly all power at the top.
Good option: New Putin same as the old Putin.

Bad option: 90's free for all redux.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Good option: New Putin same as the old Putin.

Bad option: 90's free for all redux.

At least the later option is rolling the dice again to maybe this time not end up another kleptocratic dictatorship?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronjutter posted:

At least the later option is rolling the dice again to maybe this time not end up another kleptocratic dictatorship?
The Russians still haven't found all the plutonium they lost last time they rolled those dice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grouchio posted:

On what basis?
Hut? It's just a dumb joke that the only way Putin doesn't keep the job is if he decides to retire for some reason. Which will never happen because he's riding that bitch into the sunset.

Anyway, remember how there were a bunch of high level former EU politicians shilling for Ukraine? Yeah, about them:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mobby_6kl posted:

Anyway, remember how there were a bunch of high level former EU politicians shilling for Ukraine? Yeah, about them:

Do we have any names?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think so, at least officially, but the rumor is that it's an Austrian chancellor and Italian PM I've never heard of before, so maybe they couldn't afford the top tankies like Schroeder.

https://twitter.com/DrDenaGrayson/status/967163316173983749

Manafort's really turbofucked now though, which is at least something

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Estonia 100. Not all of it as an independent state, but you don't stop counting your age for all the years you were imprisoned.

And the parade was terrific. Also had British Challenger 2, SPG-s and IFV-s.

Also a special shout out to the Danes, who were quite numerous.

another edit: and come to think of it, several countries will be celebrating their 100th anniversary this or next year because three empires ceased to exist 100 years ago.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 24, 2018

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

My question is will the Ukrainian government bring up any charges against Manafort as well? It seems with this evidence that Manafort was using illegal means to prop up Yanukovych.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

My question is will the Ukrainian government bring up any charges against Manafort as well? It seems with this evidence that Manafort was using illegal means to prop up Yanukovych.

They'll have a tough time prying him loose. Perhaps they need a group of champion influencers...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I am at least 80% sure some current political figures are also implicated, so they'll probably do nothing.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Russia doing some spring cleaning I see:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/05/salisbury-incident-critically-ill-man-is-former-russian-spy-sergei-skripal

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Speaking of spring cleaning, the Slovak government is in crisis following the murder of an investigative reporter who had been researching the activities of Italian Mafia in Slovakia. All the actions by state officials since then have been very panicky and suspicious, the journalistic community seems to be pretty unanimous in holding the government responsible for the murder, and people are demonstrating in the streets.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/fallout-from-journalist-s-murder-sends-slovakia-into-political-crisis-1.3415951

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Speaking of spring cleaning, the Slovak government is in crisis following the murder of an investigative reporter who had been researching the activities of Italian Mafia in Slovakia. All the actions by state officials since then have been very panicky and suspicious, the journalistic community seems to be pretty unanimous in holding the government responsible for the murder, and people are demonstrating in the streets.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/fallout-from-journalist-s-murder-sends-slovakia-into-political-crisis-1.3415951

On Monday, Mr Fico suggested Mr Kiska was somehow working in cahoots with billionaire Hungarian-American philanthropist George Soros

This from the "social democrat". LOL, I'm looking at the wiki of their last election and his party is practically the only left-ish party of any power, the rest are all center-rightwingers, including neonazis (14 seats!!!). Terrible.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/world/asia/nastya-rybka-trump-putin.html

This has been an interesting development

quote:

In the interview at the immigration center on Monday, Ms. Vashukevich said that she had often recorded conversations between Mr. Deripaska and his associates, and that she had 16 to 18 hours of recordings, including conversations about the United States presidential election.

“They were discussing elections,” she said. “Deripaska had a plan about elections.”

But, she added, “I can’t tell you everything.”

Some of the conversations were with three people who spoke English fluently and who she thought were Americans, she said.

I don't know what timeline this is anymore, but it just keeps getting weirder.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 6, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/world/asia/nastya-rybka-trump-putin.html

This has been an interesting development

I don't know what timeline this is anymore, but it just keeps getting weirder.

As much I'd like this to be something more substantial, it could as well be just a desperate-ish gambit to protect herself from deportation to Belarus first, criminal charges in Thailand second.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As much I'd like this to be something more substantial, it could as well be just a desperate-ish gambit to protect herself from deportation to Belarus first, criminal charges in Thailand second.

I realize that, but it's still hilarious the USA has come to the point where the entire world knows how chaotic our administration is right now.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...b7bd_story.html

Former Russian spies are getting sick again; must be an election year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Czechs just forced out the head of internal affairs for security forces after some pretty sizable demonstrations that he claims were just a few dozen or hundreds of people (photos). The guy is a communist who beat up protesters in '89 and still says he doesn't regret it. That's not a very popular stance lol.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

mobby_6kl posted:

The Czechs just forced out the head of internal affairs for security forces after some pretty sizable demonstrations that he claims were just a few dozen or hundreds of people (photos). The guy is a communist who beat up protesters in '89 and still says he doesn't regret it. That's not a very popular stance lol.

How did such a person managed to get into internal affairs? Did the Czech Republic have any sort of post soviet illumination process? For example in Lithuania if you did anything like the guy did, even now you could not get a job in the government sector, especially if the position is based on political trust...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Karmalis posted:

How did such a person managed to get into internal affairs? Did the Czech Republic have any sort of post soviet illumination process? For example in Lithuania if you did anything like the guy did, even now you could not get a job in the government sector, especially if the position is based on political trust...

The current government is a bizarre alliance of a billionaire and the Communist Party that keeps him from being voted out. So it leads to bizarre trading of favours, like a Communist politician with a "storied" history getting significant posts in the security apparatus.

But as for the broader question - yes, state officials have to go through a clearance process that screens them for ties to the Communist regime. However, this guy is an MP who was elected to his position as an internal affairs chief by the Parliament, and as such is not subject to such scrutiny, afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Karmalis posted:

Chairman of the parliamentary security oversight committee.

And even in the very first free election Czech communists like twenty percent of votes. The party never fell completely out of favour.