Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I think they mean crypto in the sense of information security, not dunning-krugerands. Not that it's any less cringey that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the correct RPG metaphor for cryptocurrency is dread

(this is also the correct RPG metaphor for regular cryptography but for different reasons)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The correct RPG metaphor for cryptocurrency is the early 2000s d20 boom. Everyone wants a piece, it's more tricky than you thought, and in the end none of it will be worth anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

potatocubed posted:

The correct RPG metaphor for cryptocurrency is the early 2000s d20 boom. Everyone wants a piece, it's more tricky than you thought, and in the end none of it will be worth anything.

I do think we're always going to have to be some small core group of bitcoin believers, much in the same way that there are still people "playing" PaizoCoin Pathfinder Online.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

I mean D&D players know a lot about made-up economies that don't work

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

JackMann posted:

I think they mean crypto in the sense of information security, not dunning-krugerands. Not that it's any less cringey that way.

The dude's CEO of some cryptocurrency horseshit and has a seat "at the Satoshi roundtable."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Ah, didn't know that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

JackMann posted:

Ah, didn't know that.

It's a lot more obvious when it's surrounded by his constant stream of tweets about Ron Paul and *coin iterations so obscure even @Buttcoin doesn't mock them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

the correct RPG metaphor for cryptocurrency is dread

(this is also the correct RPG metaphor for regular cryptography but for different reasons)

DREAD is an actual acronym in computer security.

Now I think there should be a cyberpunk RPG that uses it to calculate die roll modifiers.

Edit: holy poo poo, it works REALLY well.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 14, 2018

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

hyphz posted:

DREAD is an actual acronym in computer security.

Now I think there should be a cyberpunk RPG that uses it to calculate die roll modifiers.

Edit: holy poo poo, it works REALLY well.

Care to explain?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Rate an action out of 10 by:

Damage - how much it achieves 1-10
Reliability - if it would work every time (10) or it’s taking advantage of unique circumstances
Exploitability - has it had a load of preparation and uses the characters unique skills (1) or anyone could do it anytime (10)
Affected - how much of the setting it changes 1-10
Discoverability - unique awesome idea (1) to obvious (10)

Average results
Roll less than that on d10.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it fits pretty well, I guess in part because computer security is so adversarial.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do think we're always going to have to be some small core group of bitcoin believers, much in the same way that there are still people "playing" PaizoCoin Pathfinder Online.
I mean there are numerous empirical examples of why hard currency doesn't prevent inflation going back at least as far as the Roman Empire, yet there are still goldbugs.

food court bailiff posted:

Anyone have any cool AW scenes/ideas/threats/whatever? Finally playing a game soon and want a good backstock of apocalyptica to barf forth, etc. I'll be mining the AW thread and probably the official forums too, but they're loooong.
My advice is to watch as many postapocalyptic movies as possible, and look at all the problems the characters are facing around the margins of the central threat. One of the tricky things about AW is that a lot of the material you'd look to for inspiration is focused on a single extinction-event threat, like zombies or Skynet. AW is built to be more like Mad Max, where the threats are based around scarcity and people stealing your poo poo.

There's a whole subgenre of B-movies borne out of The Warriors, Escape from New York, Mad Max, and to a lesser extent The Terminator. I put together a watchlist with the help of the Action Movie thread.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 14, 2018

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

That Old Tree posted:

It ain't monopoly. It's Game of Thrones.

Im the black bars that dont actually block the dudes name

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Rate an action out of 10 by:

Damage - how much it achieves 1-10
Reliability - if it would work every time (10) or it’s taking advantage of unique circumstances
Exploitability - has it had a load of preparation and uses the characters unique skills (1) or anyone could do it anytime (10)
Affected - how much of the setting it changes 1-10
Discoverability - unique awesome idea (1) to obvious (10)

Average results
Roll less than that on d10.
Don't you mean roll more? Otherwise the good damage, repeatable, setting-changing, obvious idea is the easiest to succeed at.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

Don't you mean roll more? Otherwise the good damage, repeatable, setting-changing, obvious idea is the easiest to succeed at.

Yes. Doh.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'd be hard pressed rating many of these things on a 1-10 scale in a consistent manner, to be honest.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'd be hard pressed rating many of these things on a 1-10 scale in a consistent manner, to be honest.

Yeah, I absolutely agree with this. It becomes the problem of setting reasonable DCs multiplied by 5. A 0-2 scale seems more doable. Rate all five on a 0-2 scale, total, try to beat on a d10.

This also avoids the need to average 5 numbers in your head. I mean, I like computing averages in my head because I'm a weird math guy, but most people do not.

Edit: rating from 0-2 means you could also treat them like factors in a dice pool system a la Mouse Guard or Torchbearer. This could be cool.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I find it hard to differentiate meaningfully past about 4-5 subjective tiers.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
You could rate 0-2 and just add them together? I only said "average" because that's what the original method uses.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

food court bailiff posted:

Anyone have any cool AW scenes/ideas/threats/whatever? Finally playing a game soon and want a good backstock of apocalyptica to barf forth, etc. I'll be mining the AW thread and probably the official forums too, but they're loooong.

Take a Shakespearean tragedy and convert the idea to a post-apoc setting.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

DocBubonic posted:

Take a Shakespearean tragedy and convert the idea to a post-apoc setting.

Watch Julie Taymor's Titus.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

Wonderful movie. Simply wonderful movie.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

You could rate 0-2 and just add them together? I only said "average" because that's what the original method uses.
How about this mechanically similar, but more hand-holdy approach.
Start with 4, and ask the following questions:
Damage - Does this do special (+1) , average or N/A, or half (-2) damage?
Repeatability - Is this trivially repeatable (+1), require an easily obtained consumable or relatively common circumstances, or does it require unusual materials or circumstances (-2) ?
Exploitability - Is this anyone could achieve (+1), require common, but not universal attributes, or require attributes unique to the individual (-2) ?
Affected - Does this have no setting consequences beyond this scene (+1), have no negative consequences for the party on success, or will come back to haunt the characters even if they succeed (-2) ?
Discoverability - Is this an obvious (+1), creative, or unique (-2) idea?

Also allow post-roll additions from the above to add +1 to the final roll.

Sure Shot Sally is trying to shoot a guy. They want a one-shot kill (+1), using regular bullets, shooting a normal gun, they want the guy dead, and party's not exactly breaking any new ground with their "Shoot a guy" plan (+1). She needs a 6. She rolls to hit and get 4. If she'd decided to use up some of their fancy ammo before rolling she'd have made it no problem, but post-hock that's not going to cut it. So she decides she did use the fancy ammo after all (+1 to the final roll because it's hard to come by), but it's the really fancy ammo so if they don't find some way to deal with this corpse it's going to get traced back to them no problem (+1 to the final roll from Affected)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LongDarkNight posted:

This is good advice even if you're not trying to put together ideas for a post-apocalyptic RPG campaign.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I have discovered Rolemaster.

I never want to hear how D&D or Pathfinder is too complicated ever again.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

I have discovered Rolemaster.

I never want to hear how D&D or Pathfinder is too complicated ever again.

I'm willing to die on the hill of Rolemaster is a good game, fite me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rolemaster is intentional about being complicated, and that's why the people who like it like it.

D&D and Pathfinder, not so much

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

I mean D&D players know a lot about made-up economies that don't work

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/15,000,000_Gold_a_Day

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/heymermaid/status/964196594924113921

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tell me what you like about it. I'm more interested in hearing what you like about it, instead of complaints about it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

DocBubonic posted:

Tell me what you like about it. I'm more interested in hearing what you like about it, instead of complaints about it.

I'm not gradenko, and I don't actually think Rolemaster is good, but I think what its failures are commonly perceived to be are inaccurate. The core mechanic is actually pretty dead simple, and it had graded failure/success in 1981 or 1982 which is a little impressive. The critical hits tables are fun, if often goofy (and often fun for being goofy). The big thing is, it has the same problem GURPS does where it makes itself look a hell of a lot more complex than it actually is, and all the modular bits you don't really have to worry about aren't marked out as clearly as they should be so even when people give it a chance they're likely to be buried under a mountain of fiddly bullshit. This is particularly true of RMSS/RMFRP, the edition that came out in 1995 and which really seems to have cemented the "chartmaster" and "rollmaster" nicknames.

Back when RM was my absolute jam, what really got its hooks into me was how it did what a lot of people seemed to want AD&D2 to do, which was to have extensive and granular rules for everything under the sun. When you're a terrible high school nerd filling up your time with pointless busywork making NPCs no one will ever see in a lazy ripoff setting that will explode as soon as the PCs touch it, combing through literally thousands of spell entries to flesh out the long-dead level 28 alchemist who forged the magical blade hidden in a town no one will ever actually visit is somehow satisfying.

This meager defense is all beside the point that the game remains extremely 80's, which necessarily means it's not so great anyway even if you can get over the 52 variations on the same roll table.

Sorry, that wasn't as much "why I like(d) it" as I set out to be. It's so far from what I prefer nowadays it's hard to conjure up even nostalgia for it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
People who do a lot of call of cthulu and similar: how often do you come up with new mythos-style monsters compared to using or reinterpreting the classics?

e: rolemaster is interesting, it set itself some clear design goals and met them at every opportunity.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DocBubonic posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is that the combat makes a correct distinction between completely avoiding a hit/dodging, softening the blow of a hit via armor, and even the difference of various weapon types against various armors. RM is not the only game to do this, of course, but it's a significant step-up from D&D calling +4 AC from Dex and +4 AC from Chain mail the same thing.

The arithmetic involved is ... not great, but in an age of "everyone can print out/have a PDF of the weapon charts" and digital rollers, it can be streamlined.

The other thing I want to mention is the skill system, which is d100 + stat modifier + skill modifier. The usual refrain is that Monte Cook's experience with being a writer for Rolemaster lead him to adopt a similar system for D&D 3e, except squished into a d20 range, but if that were true, then Cook missed a couple of critical pieces to the puzzle: the target number in RM is always 100 (with circumstantial adjustments), and higher ranks in a skill actually reduce the gains from +5 per rank to +2 per rank, to reflect a sort of diminishing returns.

The result is that you don't have that problem of 3e where target numbers scale up to whatever leading to degenerate skill-point stacking.

The other thing I will mention is that the skill system for RM was originally limited to something like 25 to 30 skills, all of them related to combat and dungeoneering. It wasn't until the later supplement bloat that you got poo poo like a Basketweaving skill (and even then they tried implementing alternate rules to try and address it).

Rolemaster also had the idea of ranks in skills being very class tailored: some classes could sink 1 rank into a skill per level, or 2 per level, or an unlimited amount per level. On top of that, the costs of the ranks would also differ - not only is it cheaper for a Fighter-type to purchase skill-point ranks, they could also buy more of them per level. This created much stronger class identities.

All in all, Rolemaster is a cogent, consistent design with a unified resolution system long before "d20" was a twinkle in WOTC's eye. People just see "CHARTS!!!" and get scared off, but Rolemaster Express from 2007 was a feature-complete game packed into 90 pages, and it even includes modern sensibilities like non-random stat generation, non-random spell acquisition, and non-random hit-point generation with a base value to avoid instant-kills.

In comparison, D&D 5e's Basic Rules come in at twice the page count, and you're still doing 4d6-drop-lowest and starting with 6 HP at level 1. To say nothing of the full PHB weighing in at 322 pages.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
did that Unity game ever come out

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

The last backer update was January 17th where they said they were aiming for February to have the pdf finalized for proofing and printing, and the creator posted a comment on the Kickstarter page a few days ago claiming that there'd be an update at the end of this week.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
neat

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other thing I want to mention is the skill system, which is d100 + stat modifier + skill modifier. The usual refrain is that Monte Cook's experience with being a writer for Rolemaster lead him to adopt a similar system for D&D 3e, except squished into a d20 range, but if that were true, then Cook missed a couple of critical pieces to the puzzle: the target number in RM is always 100 (with circumstantial adjustments), and higher ranks in a skill actually reduce the gains from +5 per rank to +2 per rank, to reflect a sort of diminishing returns.

The result is that you don't have that problem of 3e where target numbers scale up to whatever leading to degenerate skill-point stacking.

The other thing is that a lot if not all of Rolemaster's non-combat skills had a sort of "Success with a cost" option before that terminology really existed. If you rolled a 66, you sort of got what you wanted but there's a downside. (This mostly expressed itself in the combat system with the crit charts- rolling a 66 was usually lethal or hideously maiming, even on say, critical charts for explictly non-lethal attack modes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Countblanc posted:

He took the depth and breadth of feedback to heart and decided that incorporating it was worth a delay. Good decision, IMO.