Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mezzanon posted:

Real talk though does anybody have any experience on Legacy Goblins/Infect?

I've played a bit of infect casually and a few times at 15-20 person LGS events. It is a fun, versitile, skill-intensive deck. It did get hurt by Fatal Push, but probably less so than the Modern deck (especially since we can still play probe).

Also I once watched for a minute from 20' away as Tom Ross played it on camera at an Open, so I'm basically an expert.

If I go to Worcester I'll probably either be on Infect or Nic Fit Rector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mezzanon posted:

Real talk though does anybody have any experience on Legacy Goblins/Infect?

I have played Legacy infect badly a few times, and will be doing so at GP Seattle.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cactrot posted:

I have played Legacy infect badly a few times, and will be doing so at GP Seattle.

I have played legacy infect poorly about 4 times. And legacy goblins zero times. But I have both decks, and am trying to decide on what to play for SeaTac

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

I have played legacy infect poorly about 4 times. And legacy goblins zero times. But I have both decks, and am trying to decide on what to play for SeaTac

I personally hated Infect. It was like, "oooh, look at me, I drew an Invigorate, you're dead." It felt terrible even when I was winning.

Goblins is pretty straightforward. Don't overextend vs. Miracles/UW Control. Turn Goblins sideways. Attack valuable mana pieces with Port and Wasteland.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Mezzanon posted:

Play infect because you're more likely to steal some free wins with it. You'll have to work for every last edge with goblins (and if you haven't played it extensively you are almost guaranteed to miss winning lines fairly regularly) and you're still basically a bye for most combo. Basically, don't go into a Legacy tournament with a fair deck that you don't know like the back of your hand. It's a recipe for disaster.

n1tro
Dec 12, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't GDS wants it. I think a nice BUG shell would fit him well.

Jace
Lilly
Goyf
Snap
Tasigur
Gurmag
Ancestral (maybe with as foretold for value)
Removal
Counters
Sweepers

This abomination was where my mind went first. It's probably too clunky but I'll jam it at FNM at least once.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Sampatrick posted:

Potential UB Faeries list with JTMS here. Jace makes late game discard/leaks much less problematic and between all your random fliers and Tar Pit you should be quite good at killing opposing Jaces. You also no longer need to play any Snapcaster Mages which means you can get away with playing more Mistbind Cliques which improves your big mana matchups - matchups that will probably become more common now that people are going to be playing more Jund/Uxx decks that tend to fold to big mana strategies. The sideboard is spaghetti on a wall and includes some somewhat experimental things but it's worth a shot. Let me know if y'all see any notable exclusions or have any ideas for what might be good in the deck.

I'm gonna try that list. Thanks, I'm always up to make faeries work lol.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

Play infect because you're more likely to steal some free wins with it. You'll have to work for every last edge with goblins (and if you haven't played it extensively you are almost guaranteed to miss winning lines fairly regularly) and you're still basically a bye for most combo. Basically, don't go into a Legacy tournament with a fair deck that you don't know like the back of your hand. It's a recipe for disaster.

That's fair. Grindy fair decks are my jam, and goblins are also my jam.

I will grind out reps with both decks as often as possible leading up to seatac

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

n1tro posted:

This abomination was where my mind went first. It's probably too clunky but I'll jam it at FNM at least once.

Modern’s first $2000 deck??

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Lawnie posted:

Modern’s first $2000 deck??

Jund won that contest at least a year ago

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

$200 Goyfs, $80 Confidants, $70 Verdants, $90 Lilis. I think the other 59 cards easily made up the other $440.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

n1tro posted:

Deck: Modern Sultai

//Creatures
2 Gurmag Angler
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Snapcaster Mage
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
3 Fatal Push
2 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
4 Serum Visions
2 Thought Scour
2 Thoughtseize

//Artifacts/Enchantments
1 Bitterblossom
2 Engineered Explosives

//Planeswalkers
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Liliana, the Last Hope

//Lands
3 Blooming Marsh
1 Breeding Pool
3 Darkslick Shores
1 Flooded Grove
1 Forest
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Polluted Delta
1 Sunken Ruins
1 Swamp
2 Verdant Catacombs
2 Watery Grave

Display deck statistics

This is what I've been testing a bit.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 13, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
You think darkslicks over tarpits?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You think darkslicks over tarpits?

The deck I'm playing is a little more midrange and not as much full on control. Having mana available and not getting the clunky CIPT lands early can be imporant, expecially with only 22 lands. This is just a slight iteration of a deck I've been testing, but I like them so far.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

EvilBeard posted:

The deck I'm playing is a little more midrange and not as much full on control. Having mana available and not getting the clunky CIPT lands early can be imporant, expecially with only 22 lands. This is just a slight iteration of a deck I've been testing, but I like them so far.

That's cool. I'm working on this list.

4 tarmogoyf
3 snapcaster
2 gurmag
2 Jace vryns prodigy
2 Jace the mind sculptor
2 lilly veil
2 lilly last hope
3 dark confidant
2 as foretold
4 ancestral visions
3 fatal push
2 dismember
2 abrupt decay
4 thoughtseize
1 search for Azcanta
2 swamp
2 island
1 forest
4 polluted Delta
4 verdant catacombs
3 watery grave
2 breeding pool
2 overgrown tomb
2 Misty rainforest

Not sure yet on the as foretold and ancestrals.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In non-JtMS news I finally finished my Blue Moon list for Modern. Thinking that I might run it or Ponza out for a few months while people figure out their Jace decks, in an effort to try and prey on greedy manabases with Blood Moon-
1 Breeding Pool
2 Desolate Lighthouse
1 Flooded Strand
7 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls
2 Blood Moon
3 Cryptic Command
2 Electrolyze
3 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Opt
1 Pull from Tomorrow
4 Remand
1 Search for Azcanta
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Spell Snare
2 Supreme Will
4 Through the Breach
1 Vendilion Clique

Sideboard:
2 Ancient Grudge
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Blood Moon
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Dispel
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Entrancing Melody
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
1 Keranos, God of Storms
2 Roast

Ironically, the deck could probably benefit from one or two JtMS :v: Is anyone else running this deck? I know most of these lists are running Platinum Empirion + Madcap Experiment but I already had the Emrakuls and Breaches, plus Empirion seems not so great with maindeck Abrades starting to show up in some decks. Also my SB Ancient Grudges should probably be Abrades.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Guess how Norin Sisters loses to Grishoalbrand on the play after opening t0 leyline of sanctity, t1 sister, t2 RiP, t3 Genesis Chamber hold up path, t4 Purphoros.

The answer is never drawing another creature and dying to four hard cast SSGs and myr backup

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Any UW control players here given any thought into changes in the deck now that jtms is unbanned? I'm almost certainly cutting the single Jace AoT for one, and I'd been messing around with the Ojutai version but that card is always just a win-more so I'm going to cut it for a 2nd jtms. I think two is probably the right number to start. Not sure if the rest of the deck changes composition as a result of including jtms though, or if it's still on the same plan of stall until t4 and wrath. I don't know if the deck wants to start playing mana leak again to improve odds of landing a safe jtms but I doubt it.

Alternatively, people are discussing modern UW miracles? Anyone seen testing of that to indicate if it's better than normal UW draw-go?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I've basically never played modern, am I Really loving Stupid for wanting to play a U/B/W deck that just runs a bunch of discard and fatal pushes/paths on 1, some remands and snaps on 2, ashiok on 3, jace and cryptic on 4 w/ some sweepers in there somewhere?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Any UW control players here given any thought into changes in the deck now that jtms is unbanned? I'm almost certainly cutting the single Jace AoT for one, and I'd been messing around with the Ojutai version but that card is always just a win-more so I'm going to cut it for a 2nd jtms. I think two is probably the right number to start. Not sure if the rest of the deck changes composition as a result of including jtms though, or if it's still on the same plan of stall until t4 and wrath. I don't know if the deck wants to start playing mana leak again to improve odds of landing a safe jtms but I doubt it.

Alternatively, people are discussing modern UW miracles? Anyone seen testing of that to indicate if it's better than normal UW draw-go?

I think if you're playing terminus you start with 3 jtms, maybe 4 and 2-3 search for azcanta bare minimum for manipulation. The only reason terminus was bad is you couldn't put it back. So you want to maximize your ability to do so. Being able to 1 Mana wrath on your turn and hold up removal/counters is gonna be really really strong.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The March Hare posted:

I've basically never played modern, am I Really loving Stupid for wanting to play a U/B/W deck that just runs a bunch of discard and fatal pushes/paths on 1, some remands and snaps on 2, ashiok on 3, jace and cryptic on 4 w/ some sweepers in there somewhere?

As someone who also never plays modern, that all sounds fine in my mind except that as much as I love Ashiok, I don't think it's good enough to see play over either of the 3-drop Lilianas. The Last Hope probably fits better in the deck you're describing since it sounds like you want to be able to hold up countermagic a reasonable amount of the time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

I think if you're playing terminus you start with 3 jtms, maybe 4 and 2-3 search for azcanta bare minimum for manipulation. The only reason terminus was bad is you couldn't put it back. So you want to maximize your ability to do so. Being able to 1 Mana wrath on your turn and hold up removal/counters is gonna be really really strong.

Right but this is also why I'm skeptical of the miracles decks. Having to put terminus back with Jace means no wrath until turn 5, while letting GDS decks thought scour you or use stubborn denial. Search+Opt+Jace might be the new inclusions needed to make the deck work but I would want to see it in action first. I like playing my Gideons.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I agree with L0cke17. I've been playing the deck, but I've never tried to play proper UW, and control strategies in modern in general have rarely been the center of my attention. I will just note that the deck has been playable with a playset of Riverwise Augur, and a singleton Jace, The Living Guildpact has been bonkers in some cases... so I have to imagine that replacing 3/4s of the Augurs with Jaces, could make the deck a lot stronger. Jace in the worst case is pretty close to Augur in the best case.

My only sadness is that Augur only had a moment to shine in the sun, and I'm only going to get to play with my foil Guildpacts for a week.

quote:

Right but this is also why I'm skeptical of the miracles decks. Having to put terminus back with Jace means no wrath until turn 5, while letting GDS decks thought scour you or use stubborn denial. Search+Opt+Jace might be the new inclusions needed to make the deck work but I would want to see it in action first. I like playing my Gideons.

Well, once in a while you get lucky and just blind flip a terminus on t3 or t4 -- and Telling Time can do a reasonable brainstorm impression to help set that up, or at least help you draw a path. The deck seems great to me in most of the midrange matchups I've played, and mostly just ignores early discard because half the time they're just choosing from a handful of cantrips and when they're not most of our draws will be. Really fast aggro is a different story; I lost a game to Elves where I was able to go path, path, leak, snap-path and it didn't matter.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 14, 2018

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

As someone who also never plays modern, that all sounds fine in my mind except that as much as I love Ashiok, I don't think it's good enough to see play over either of the 3-drop Lilianas. The Last Hope probably fits better in the deck you're describing since it sounds like you want to be able to hold up countermagic a reasonable amount of the time.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of like a 2/2/3 split between lil/ash/jace in my head. I always think things like "ashiok probably isn't strong enough" but then I cast her in, say, legacy and am just blown away by how strong she actually is. Stealing & casting your opponent's goyfs for 0 mana or whatever feels really good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

The March Hare posted:

Not really, I have wanted to make some sort of Esper control deck work for a while but haven't settled on a list that I like well enough. I think Gideon is probably a better wincon than Ashiok but if it's been working out well for you then keep rolling with it. Also run Lingering Souls!

On the subject of UBx control I've actually seen a number of Grixis control lists popping up lately that I really want to try out in some form.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I agree with L0cke17. I've been playing the deck, but I've never tried to play proper UW, and control strategies in modern in general have rarely been the center of my attention. I will just note that the deck has been playable with a playset of Riverwise Augur, and a singleton Jace, The Living Guildpact has been bonkers in some cases... so I have to imagine that replacing 3/4s of the Augurs with Jaces, could make the deck a lot stronger. Jace in the worst case is pretty close to Augur in the best case.

My only sadness is that Augur only had a moment to shine in the sun, and I'm only going to get to play with my foil Guildpacts for a week.

Well, once in a while you get lucky and just blind flip a terminus on t3 or t4 -- and Telling Time can do a reasonable brainstorm impression to help set that up, or at least help you draw a path. The deck seems great to me in most of the midrange matchups I've played, and mostly just ignores early discard because half the time they're just choosing from a handful of cantrips and when they're not most of our draws will be. Really fast aggro is a different story; I lost a game to Elves where I was able to go path, path, leak, snap-path and it didn't matter.

I agree with your experiences. Serum Visions can also setup a Terminus in a pinch.

The deck's not stuck waiting until T5 for a terminus; most often it'll drop some combination of Serum Visions / Path / Mana Leak and will stabilize off a terminus setup by one of the cantrips; and drop Jace a little later game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What I’m really hoping is that the presence of Jace doesn’t completely choke out other decks, especially midrange.

Right now there’s definitely a ton of hype around him and it does seem like he might be choking out other options for decks and alternative cards in decks. Terminus especially is a card without easy answers for a lot of decks that just smokes out a game.

I guess it won’t be 100% clear until we see some tournament results.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So should control be on 4 terminus, or some split with verdict? Decks like GDS not being able to stubborn denial a verdict is usually pretty important. 3/1?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Mr. Worker gets 3 +1/+1 counters total, right? Hardened Scales doesn't count sources of +1/+1 counters if they're simultaneous, yeah?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Mr. Worker gets 3 +1/+1 counters total, right? Hardened Scales doesn't count sources of +1/+1 counters if they're simultaneous, yeah?

Edit: I was wrong, correct answer is in the next post. Is it because Hardened Scales is a replacement effect, not a triggered ability?

I think it’s 4. Scales sees two triggers to add a counter and adds one to each.

I’m happy to be wrong if savage summoning isn’t a triggered ability.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 14, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Lawnie posted:

It gets 3. It enters the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters only once which hardened scales sees.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Saffron Olive did a really good job of manipulating his library with his miracles in mind last night. He cast opt to miracle teminus for example, because of the scry off of serum visions previously.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

Saffron Olive did a really good job of manipulating his library with his miracles in mind last night. He cast opt to miracle teminus for example, because of the scry off of serum visions previously.

Cool. I have the miracles cards and want to try it but I'm always a skeptic about everything. What stream was it on? I want to see the replays.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Modern Superleague

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cool. I have the miracles cards and want to try it but I'm always a skeptic about everything. What stream was it on? I want to see the replays.

Modern super league. The match against burn is where he set up a miracle terminus. It was prety slick, he had a negate in hand, two mana (I think uw and w) and everyone expected him to negate the spell and take the damage. He takes the burn and opts in reponse and Randy freaked out, but he terminus'd. He posted today on twitter or reddit that he'd scry'd it with Serum visions and wanted to opt/terminus to hold the negates up for other burn.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

Modern super league. The match against burn is where he set up a miracle terminus. It was prety slick, he had a negate in hand, two mana (I think uw and w) and everyone expected him to negate the spell and take the damage. He takes the burn and opts in reponse and Randy freaked out, but he terminus'd. He posted today on twitter or reddit that he'd scry'd it with Serum visions and wanted to opt/terminus to hold the negates up for other burn.

Nice. Can't locate it on the stupid twitch app but maybe it'll appear on YouTube later. Was the miracles deck still using 4 field of ruin? No seas seems to make the deck worse against tron but even with seas that matchup is miserable and barely ever winnable in my experience.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nice. Can't locate it on the stupid twitch app but maybe it'll appear on YouTube later. Was the miracles deck still using 4 field of ruin? No seas seems to make the deck worse against tron but even with seas that matchup is miserable and barely ever winnable in my experience.

I'm not sure if it was full 4, but he beat G Tron and field was really good. He also had a GQ? He came loaded for bear against tron and did well. Doesn't hurt that he set up a t2 stoney silence in game 3 and wrecked him super hard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This quote from the main thread

Count Bleck posted:

I half want to try a dumb deck running a bunch of ponza cards, BBE, and poo poo like Blightning.

Blightning off BBE sounds really, really rude.

has me wondering what a low-curve Ponza deck would look like with BBE, maybe with a black splash. Basically Ponza with fewer big creature and mana dorks, and with four BBE and some value creatures or always-useful spells like extra Bolts and Beast Withins. Like

Arbor Elf
Bolt
Stone Rain
Beast Within
BBE
Finks
OGW Nissa
Other creatures with good ETB triggers
???

E: Or maybe a Jund analogue of Little Kid Abzan? Is that even possible?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 15, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Lawnie posted:

Edit: I was wrong, correct answer is in the next post. Is it because Hardened Scales is a replacement effect, not a triggered ability?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It gets 3. It enters the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters only once which hardened scales sees.

Thanks.

What if you Savage Summoning in a Winding Constrictor? Does it get 1 or 2 +1/+1s? I'd assume 2 but if the "extra counters" ability doesn't kick in until after it's a permanent and already got its +1/+1 counter, that could make some kind of sense.
e: I mean without Hardened Scales on the board. Just the Savage + Constrictor.

My coworker hasn't been able to play since I made this Hardened Scales deck so I'm going stir-crazy, thanks for humoring me :)

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

BrianBoitano posted:

Thanks.

What if you Savage Summoning in a Winding Constrictor? Does it get 1 or 2 +1/+1s? I'd assume 2 but if the "extra counters" ability doesn't kick in until after it's a permanent and already got its +1/+1 counter, that could make some kind of sense.
e: I mean without Hardened Scales on the board. Just the Savage + Constrictor.

My coworker hasn't been able to play since I made this Hardened Scales deck so I'm going stir-crazy, thanks for humoring me :)

You are correct . Winding consrictors ability doesn't apply to itself as it enters the battlefield. So it's just 1 counter.