Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Big Taint posted:

Looks like the C22 default is a ladder that swings up on the starboard side of the transom.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2673_81/c-22-swim-ladder-w-wide-bottom-rung.cfm

Is that what you’ve got now?

Nope, I've got a garbage folding, plastic ladder that pins into clips on the bow.

The CD ladder looks nice, and is basically one of the options I'm stuck between. The other is the folding style like this.

The CD style would be simpler, and totally out of the water on a port tack but I worry a little about the distance from the top step to the gunwale. The folding one would give me a higher top step, so guests would have an easier time climbing over the pulpit rail. Beyond that, my biggest concern is weight capacity. I've got friends who are big dudes and I don't want to worry about the ladder coming apart on them (again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Reading about sail plans after falling down the wiki hole, was inspired to try my hand at naval architecture. My car has a ski-hole through the backseat armrest from the trunk, so I'm limited to ~8' length and 6"x1' for any bits over 4-5'. Is this a cromulent catamaran for use on the tiny lake I mentioned earlier? There will be some kind of bracing to keep it square while on the water, ofc, this is just the quick sketch to preserve the idea. Probably a pin at one end and a hinge at the other on x-braces.

Any suggestions on diameter/length of pipe for the floats or what rig I should use for the sail? It only needs to hold 300lb or so (my 150lb rear end, my camping gear, and maybe a trolling motor and car battery in case I'm becalmed, though ideally twice that bc as drawn it has two natural seats, though in this case one side is me and the other cargo, I guess.) I'm assuming an old bedsheet will suffice for the sail, I have the means to wax it for weather resistance/longevity. also I'd only be paying for the floats and maybe the mast, the rest is stuff I already have -- the 4" steel rectangular tubing is what holds up the shredded cheese at the supermarket, and the skegs are the dividers from Colgate toothbrush trays -- I rearrange grocery stores for Kraft and Colgate-Palmolive, and get to keep the scraps when we replace the equipment. If the pipe to fit through the carhole isn't enough, I could have outriggers that nestle within the main hulls for transport, right?

Ooh, and if I get screw caps for one end, I can store everything in the pontoons for portage!

E: would help to include said plan, wouldn't it?

2E: could probably rig the skegs to also be rudders, or should I go with a centerboard and standard tiller rudder setup?

Kinda want a bowsprit and jib just to be That Guy.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 24, 2018

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's not enough floatation. Tubes are really pretty terrible for pontoons. A 4' PVC tube, 6" in diameter only will provide about 8pounds of floatation.

To reasonably float 150lbs, you need to displace 18 cubic feet, and to safely float that, you're really going to need to be able to displace 72 cubic feet of water.

Scaling this up a bit, might work, if you don't mind getting wet: http://www.simplicityboats.com/corky.html http://www.instructables.com/id/Corky-My-first-sail-boat/

Bedsheets make really bad sails. Any material that allows ANY air through ends up being really terrible. It's essentially the inverse of boundry layer control for plane wings, and they stall badly. Waxing it will help. But you can get tyvek, or polytarp very cheaply, and those don't leak any air, leading to a decent sail.

I'm in the middle of building a Puddle Duck......

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

If you go overboard while singlehanded the bigger issue is that the boat is going to be somewhere off in the distance, unless you tie yourself to it.

Ahh the fond memory of watching my Phantom sail off into the sunset while my 10 year old drenched self watched. Heeled over, fell out and off she went.

It made it far enough away my dad had to commandeer a Jon boat from a guy and come rescue me.

I'd take precautions for sure.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Nerobro posted:

That's not enough floatation. Tubes are really pretty terrible for pontoons. A 4' PVC tube, 6" in diameter only will provide about 8pounds of floatation.

Hmm... May have to get a tiny trailer and build a puddle duck, then.

Also too bad the local state park doesn't allow cutting firewood, I have a new Swedish axe.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How about a roof rack? Building with your ski hole as the primary restriction sounds like it's too tight.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Hmm ... if I decide to go with the tiny trailer, I already have a pedal boat that needs some fiberglass repair (just a few small holes IIRC) and new paddles/rudder. I could use it to learn to lay up fiberglass in preparation for building a boat! Or saw it in half and make a pair of ugly kayaks! :v:

Does anybody still make the tiny trailers like Horror Fright used to sell, or was the entire class banned?

Edit: actually, Tractor Supply sells trailer axles, and I have a lot of scrap steel tubing laying around, and am an amateur welder ... how hard it it to register a homebuilt boat trailer in TX?

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 26, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Didn't harbor freights trailers get pulled ( :haw: ) because the tyres were found to be non-DOT-legal? You'd think they'd give the supplier a kicking, raise the price a few bucks and be back on sale a week later with different tyres.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

Didn't harbor freights trailers get pulled ( :haw: ) because the tyres were found to be non-DOT-legal? You'd think they'd give the supplier a kicking, raise the price a few bucks and be back on sale a week later with different tyres.

Yep. They were DOT-stamped, but found to be insufficient to carry the rated load.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 27, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Is this a decent boat? Tie it to the top of the car with this sketchy-lookin' rig.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Saturday night, I went and got my mast started.

Finding decent wood is really more difficult than it should be. I think that may explain why houses are so severely overbuilt. They use such awful wood, that building in something like 10x redundancy is necessary.

I want an 18' mast for my Puddle Duck. To get that, I bought two 16' long 2x10's, ripped them into 2x5's then scarfed another 2' onto the 16' long ones.

Amusingly, my friend and I ended up two mast halves that are within 1/4" of the same length.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Nerobro posted:

I want an 18' mast for my Puddle Duck...

PDR mast is bigger than I would have expected. How are you going to rig it?

And goddamn does West System mean it when they call 206 slow hardener. I used it over the summer to get long enough working times, but now that it's 70F it is workable for hours. I thought I hosed up a batch when I tried repotting some hardware yesterday.

And after two weekends of visiting the boat, inspecting, napping and planning, the to-do list has shrunk down to one item: everything.

Before launching I want to:
-re-bed my chainplate eye bolts (or replace them with new hardware)
-install transom ladder
-redo outboard mount reinforcements
-reinforce bow, deck, stem fitting, bow eye and cleats
-fix rudder
-clean, expoxy and varnish companionway and hatch trim. Reinforce hatch slides.
-re-carpet/adjust trailer bunks
-build keel guide
-replace trailer lights

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I.. wish I knew what the rig was called. Triangle shaped sail, single spar, rope at the mast to hold the front of the spar, and a sheet hanging off the back. I'll have a "good side" and a "bad side".

After some research, it's a cat rig.

last thursday we glued in my daggerboard tunnel. This week we'll cut it out. Over the weekend my friend put epoxy fillets under the foredeck and sealed up the last holes in the side tanks.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
x-post from the Schadenfreude thread
Couple spends life savings on Alabama boat, it sinks on day 2

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 13, 2018

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

:lol:

quote:

but said they had little sailing experience

Don't do this. Please nobody do this.

If you have little sailing experience, have more experienced friends show you the ropes at the very least, especially before you attempt to sail any distance beyond 1-2 miles.

Also especially don't do this if you spent $10,000 total on your boat and it was your entire life savings and you're uninsured. Then for sure do not do this. It will not end well.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
They had someone show them how to sail for a few days as they went from Alabama to Tampa. Still, that's not nearly enough experience to then take the boat on your own and sail the Carribean.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

And setting sail in fog. In the dark. Lighting their way with a flashlight.

All of those are bad things.

And obviously without a good gps, because they'd know ~exactly~ where they should be if they had any sort of decent nav gear.

The stupid just.... And now they're "we're not done, we're going to get another boat."

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Also, "I couldn't read the navigational markers, they were confusing me! :saddowns:" I've been from central florida down the gulf coast an absurd number of times. All weather, all times of day. They aren't hard to read and understand. Hell, I learned red right return and what it meant when I was 6 or 7 heading to key west with my grandparents down the icw.

I also learned to not gently caress around on the water if I don't know what I'm doing, but these two seem to have missed that lesson too.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 14, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Elmnt80 posted:

I also learned to not gently caress around on the water if I don't know what I'm doing, but these two seem to have missed that lesson too.

They apparently missed that lesson even having a boat sunk out from under them.

Of course idiots on the internet are going to buy them a new boat to go die on now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

They apparently missed that lesson even having a boat sunk out from under them.

Of course idiots on the internet are going to buy them a new boat to go die on now.

As long as it's somebody else's money, and that's the final solution, I don't see the problem here.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
They must have had a chart plotter, right? It's like playing a video game, you just drive on the map...
I probably have a thousand hours driving boats in dense fog by radar and paper chart, the first time I used a chart plotter with radar overlay I thought I died and went to heaven. That poo poo's amazing!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If your combined life savings only gets you a $10k boat that you can't insure and will leave you with nothing if lost you might not be in a good position to screw off to the Caribbean.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

chrisgt posted:

They must have had a chart plotter, right? It's like playing a video game, you just drive on the map...
I probably have a thousand hours driving boats in dense fog by radar and paper chart, the first time I used a chart plotter with radar overlay I thought I died and went to heaven. That poo poo's amazing!

$5k boat with a $2k chart plotter?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

$5k boat with a $2k chart plotter?

You can get a functional chart plotter for $125. https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-000-11823-001-Fishfinder-Chartplotter-Transducer/dp/B00R9X6KCS/

Or $200 if you want a color screen: https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-ELITE-4-HDI-Fishfinder-Transducer/dp/B00INCFMSC/

Granted, those only come with pretty basic maps, and don't have the biggest screen, but it's functional, and can be used with paper maps if you want more detail on a budget.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Popete posted:

If your combined life savings only gets you a $10k boat that you can't insure and will leave you with nothing if lost you might not be in a good position to screw off to the Caribbean.

Yepppppp

With my (now aborted) Caribbean plan, after I bought the boat I still had ~3x the cost of the boat sitting in my savings account for living expenses, maintenance/upgrades, and emergency needs.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Popete posted:

Yeah when I read "life savings" I expected some sort of yacht, not a simple sailboat with nothing to get by on. What was the plan there?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Right, they had one.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So how does one go about learning to be a boat person that can sail around to different islands without dying do you need to be related to a boat person?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

So how does one go about learning to be a boat person that can sail around to different islands without dying do you need to be related to a boat person?

Take classes. ASA or BoatUS, if you're in the US.

Usually they aren't terribly expensive, figure $200-400 for the first class depending on your area (assuming there is a place to sail and an ASA or BoatUS school near you)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elephanthead posted:

Either classes or volunteering to assist someone else who is more knowledgeable. Most sailors/boaters would be willing to show newbies the ropes :lol: . If there's a marina nearby, just stop in and ask, the folks there will probably know who would be receptive. I learned everything I know about boats by working on them and just picking it up as I went. I'm no master mariner, but I can make a boat do what I need, and I know how to navigate safely. There are also basic boating safety classes. For example, you need a license to operate a boat in NY State, and there's a boating safety class that covers the basics. It doesn't cover anything about operating a sailboat, but it'll teach you the basic rules of the road. BoatUS offers a free online class.

Kenshin posted:

Take classes. ASA or BoatUS, if you're in the US.

Usually they aren't terribly expensive, figure $200-400 for the first class depending on your area (assuming there is a place to sail and an ASA or BoatUS school near you)
Yup. Alternately, if there's a sailing group in your area, they're often looking for crew for non-competitive races. It's a great way to learn to sail, because you're on a boat with a bunch of experienced people who can instruct you on what to do and why.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Along with the other advice. Read Chapman's Piloting. That was more or less a right of passage in my family. You were part of the crew when you got your copy. ... I still have mine. My dad has his.

It tells you about many of the non-intuitive dangerous situations. It clears up mysteries. It makes boats "make sense". And it gives you the vocabulary to speak well when talking about boats.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Dave Inc. posted:

Yeah when I read "life savings" I expected some sort of yacht, not a simple sailboat with nothing to get by on. What was the plan there?

$10k makes them Millennial-rich. I bet the plan was: boat runs on air, we eat fish and YouTube titties get that patreon money.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I think they are smarter than all of us, and have a winning business plan.

1) Buy boat for $5000
2) Claim to spend another $5000 on repairs and preparation (but don't actually do this since boat only has to last for a few days).
3) Sink boat through stupidity and ignorance.
4) Start GoFundMe - raise $15000 for being stupid.

Now they can go buy another $5000 boat and pocket $10k!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

monsterzero posted:

...And YouTube titties get that patreon money.

The recent proliferation of trust-fund-fueled youtube sailing channels points to this being a prime motivation.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

The recent proliferation of trust-fund-fueled youtube sailing channels points to this being a prime motivation.

The only one I follow is SV Delos, and while it's super successful right now, it sure didn't start out as a trust-fund-fueled channel at all! No idea why I find it so interesting, but I never miss a video.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

Along with the other advice. Read Chapman's Piloting. That was more or less a right of passage in my family. You were part of the crew when you got your copy. ... I still have mine. My dad has his.

It tells you about many of the non-intuitive dangerous situations. It clears up mysteries. It makes boats "make sense". And it gives you the vocabulary to speak well when talking about boats.
:cripes:
How could I not mention that. I've got 2 copies. One was my wife's grandfather's, and the other is mine.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

sharkytm posted:

:cripes:
How could I not mention that. I've got 2 copies. One was my wife's grandfather's, and the other is mine.

If you strap one copy to the hull of your boat it will protect you from reefs.

MrYenko posted:

I'm trying to use this to get my wife to wear less on the boat but it isn't working.

The Locator posted:

The only one I follow is SV Delos, and while it's super successful right now, it sure didn't start out as a trust-fund-fueled channel at all! No idea why I find it so interesting, but I never miss a video.

I watch way, way too much youtube these days. I click on a lot of tiddy-thumbnails in the suggestion feed, but they're always either painfully bad video work, boring, or the dude might actually be a full-on creep and I legit worry why there is a new babe on the boat every few months.

I used to watch Delos at the gym, but ehh... I'd rather watch La Vagabond which is about the same thing with better accents. Mainly though, I like watching masochistic beardos rebuilding boats.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I just realized I don’t have a copy of Champman. I’ve got a bookshelf full of navigation and seamanship books, but no Chapman.

Heh next time I go on a book buying binge.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

monsterzero posted:

I used to watch Delos at the gym, but ehh... I'd rather watch La Vagabond which is about the same thing with better accents. Mainly though, I like watching masochistic beardos rebuilding boats.

Some interesting looking channels, I expect I'll lose a lot of hours to those. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

I just realized I don’t have a copy of Champman. I’ve got a bookshelf full of navigation and seamanship books, but no Chapman.

Heh next time I go on a book buying binge.

My wife and I always end up in used book stores, and most usually have a couple shelves of boat-books. I think I paid $3 for my copy.

I'm going to start rebedding some deck hardware soon (pulpit, stanchions and cleats) and and I want to replace the tiny-rear end washers Catalina used with backing plates. I'm leaning towards using 1/8" aluminum because it's cheap, easily available and workable. I'm not too worried about galvanic corrosion (dry sailed in fresh water), if anything my backing plate turning white would be a good indicator that my bedding has failed. Is there anything else should be aware of? An good reasons to go with stainless or hardwood instead?