Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
To get repeatedly dunked on you mean :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I just met Cid in 12 and I can't decide if this is the worst voice acting or the best voice acting I've ever heard. This voice goes places

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Which Cid, there are two Cids.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Red Red Blue posted:

I just met Cid in 12 and I can't decide if this is the worst voice acting or the best voice acting I've ever heard. This voice goes places

I’m still trying to parse ondore’s accent

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Double post

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 14, 2018

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which Cid, there are two Cids.

Probably Cidolfus, because Al-Cid has the best voice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
i made you guys some valentines

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dragonatrix posted:

Crazy Atrus? He's wonderful.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Al-Cid. And yeah I'm leaning towards it being amazing. It's just a journey trying to figure it out

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

i made you guys some valentines

i hate this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I put as much thought into this valentine as Square did in making Brother a likable and relatable character.

(But yeah it's probably in poor taste)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Red Red Blue posted:

Al-Cid. And yeah I'm leaning towards it being amazing. It's just a journey trying to figure it out

You haven't met the other Cid yet?

oh man, you're in for a treat.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I really liked Brother in X because he let me play as little blitzball as possible for wakka’s stuff but then square went out of its way to make sure he’s the literal worst in X-2

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I remember being so let down when they told us Cor wasn't a main party member. He was clearly better than the other four.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Red Red Blue posted:

Al Cid feels like a Resident Evil character found his way into a Final Fantasy game.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Al Cid feels like a Resident Evil character found his way into a Final Fantasy game.

He's a spitting image of Sera from RE4.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ROFL Octopus posted:

I really liked Brother in X because he let me play as little blitzball as possible for wakka’s stuff but then square went out of its way to make sure he’s the literal worst in X-2

The worst thing is that if the writers only just changed that terrible crush thing into a 'overprotective big brother' angle then it fixes all the problems with Brother in X-2. You could even connect it to FFX and say Brother got used to losing friends and family to Sin, so he's just super happy to find out he's got a cousin now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

seiferguy posted:

He's a spitting image of Sera from RE4.

Yup, exactly who I was thinking of. And the sunglasses thing. That is such an RE move.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrNutt posted:

Must be why he's the only good character

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Sakurazuka posted:

Must be why he's the only good character

I think vayne is pretty solid but 12 definitely lacks in characters with character.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
They should have included a moogle party member so there'd at least be one good one

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
lol if you think resident evil has good characters

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gologle posted:

Mike the helicopter pilot will live in my heart forever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The aaaaaashford family naaame is one of umberelllllas best and brightest

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gologle posted:

Little rough, don't you think?

I could live an entire year communicating only in RE4 quotes

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 15, 2018

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

WaltherFeng posted:

Writhe in my cage of torment my friend.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

WaltherFeng posted:

Heh heh, stranger...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Where's everyone going? Bingo?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gologle posted:

You're small time, Gologle.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
The Great Crystal is the worst dungeon I've ever played in any RPG. Why didn't anyone at Square go "this might be a bad idea" during development? I've spent over 2 hours in this godforsaken place at 4x speed and just finally got to a save crystal. Had to use almost every item I've stocked up in 35 hours just to make it to the crystal. Now I dunno what I'm gonna do because I am quite a ways away from a warp crystal with very limited item stock. Anyone who did this in vanilla on PS2 is a masochist. My party was around level 52 when I entered and now I'm at 67 or 68. :sigh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Did you save over your only save file like an idiot by any chance?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bloodplay it again posted:

The Great Crystal is the worst dungeon I've ever played in any RPG. Why didn't anyone at Square go "this might be a bad idea" during development? I've spent over 2 hours in this godforsaken place at 4x speed and just finally got to a save crystal. Had to use almost every item I've stocked up in 35 hours just to make it to the crystal. Now I dunno what I'm gonna do because I am quite a ways away from a warp crystal with very limited item stock. Anyone who did this in vanilla on PS2 is a masochist. My party was around level 52 when I entered and now I'm at 67 or 68. :sigh:

:stonklol:

You could look at a map and then flee straight to the exit. IIRC if you made it to the save crystal then you're not far from the way out.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

:stonklol:

You could look at a map and then flee straight to the exit. IIRC if you made it to the save crystal then you're not far from the way out.

I'm going for the esper or whatever is here at the end. Already did the story portion, got the sword, and went right back in to head to the upper levels since you can't activate the scorpio switch until getting the sword. Sadly, the two hours it has taken me is with maps. I was doing okay until I needed to hit the virgo switch and get a gate in time. I was about two seconds too late to disable the gate the first trip, then I got lost on the second trip because the map I'm looking at is actually not that accurate, and on the third trip to the gate from the switch, Larva Eater spawned for a second time.

Fister Roboto posted:

Did you save over your only save file like an idiot by any chance?

No, I have a backup save, but then I'm back to level 52 with none of the gear, spells, or rare hunts completed.

This is the map I'm using: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/46722

The path from Virgo switch (east of the XVI teleporter) to the Virgo 1 gate isn't accurate. You actually need to go 45 degrees to the right (north east) from XVI to get to the Libra switch. Going 90 degrees/north doesn't take you to the Libra switch, despite what the map says.

\/\/\/ if I don't wanna do this dungeon for two hours, there's no way I wanna sit through it for 8 hours. I haven't been using the speed multiplier up to this point in the game, but considering each room is 20 feet long and you make several room transitions due to piss poor design, I thought enabling it would save my sanity.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 15, 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't buy XII HD but doesn't playing at 4x speed all the time kind of ruin it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m nowhere near this dungeon but uhhhh what exactly am I missing if I just beeline through it, it sounds miserable

Help Im Alive posted:

I didn't buy XII HD but doesn't playing at 4x speed all the time kind of ruin it

I think playing literally the whole thing in 4x would, yeah, but if you’re just using it to speed up walking through dungeons or grinding trash, it’s basically just a sprint button. You just toggle it off when you get to something interesting.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm going for the esper or whatever is here at the end. Already did the story portion, got the sword, and went right back in to head to the upper levels since you can't activate the scorpio switch until getting the sword. Sadly, the two hours it has taken me is with maps. I was doing okay until I needed to hit the virgo switch and get a gate in time. I was about two seconds too late to disable the gate the first trip, then I got lost on the second trip because the map I'm looking at is actually not that accurate, and on the third trip to the gate from the switch, Larva Eater spawned for a second time.

No, I have a backup save, but then I'm back to level 52 with none of the gear, spells, or rare hunts completed.

This is the map I'm using: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/459841-final-fantasy-xii/faqs/46722

The path from Virgo switch (east of the XVI teleporter) to the Virgo 1 gate isn't accurate. You actually need to go 45 degrees to the right (north east) from XVI to get to the Libra switch. Going 90 degrees/north doesn't take you to the Libra switch, despite what the map says.

\/\/\/ if I don't wanna do this dungeon for two hours, there's no way I wanna sit through it for 8 hours. I haven't been using the speed multiplier up to this point in the game, but considering each room is 20 feet long and you make several room transitions due to piss poor design, I thought enabling it would save my sanity.

If you activate the warp in XIX, which takes you back to XX so you can get out, you can get back the same way so you don't have to do everything over again. (I'm like 90% sure about that maybe save and try it just in case)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m nowhere near this dungeon but uhhhh what exactly am I missing if I just beeline through it, it sounds miserable

You don't really have to do it at all unless you want the items/esper. The story portion of it is pretty straightforward and short.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think playing literally the whole thing in 4x would, yeah, but if you’re just using it to speed up walking through dungeons or grinding trash, it’s basically just a sprint button. You just toggle it off when you get to something interesting.

Like Freeway said, the story portion isn't really bad. I think it took maybe 15 min at normal speed to get to the boss. I'm going for all espers, though, so I went right back into the dungeon and backtracked to the beginning to open the higher levels. If you don't wanna do the upper levels, you'll miss out on:

Caldera, Crystal Knight/Larva Eater/Evil Spirit rare game, another rubber suit, the Shellga and Hastega spells, Crown of Laurels, Yagyu Darkblade, a Ring of Renewal, the Artemis Bow, Ultima esper, Excalibur, and the Omega superboss. Some of the items might be available via bazaar but I figured I'd just grab them now.

MMF Freeway posted:

If you activate the warp in XIX, which takes you back to XX so you can get out, you can get back the same way so you don't have to do everything over again. (I'm like 90% sure about that maybe save and try it just in case)

I'm gonna try this out. Thanks for the tip. e: Ultima was pretty much right next to me when I loaded the game. Go figure!

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 15, 2018

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I bought FFXV on monday on impulse because it seemed like a fun roadtrip with bros. And than the loving thing goes on sale 2 days later, and they are apparently still patching it 2 years later??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It comes out on PC in like 2 weeks or something. Shoulda waited. Get those sick mods that make every character Cindy.