Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Probably already asked, but how is the new core as a complete experience with say 2 boxes? The original seemed pretty hollow, especially for some factions, but diving into thousands of cards and multiple cycles was such a brick wall. Is there an updated buy list that's recommended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just two cores is OK as a board game style experience. I'd say just 2 new core plus whatever big box expansions has the factions you like best in them is more than fine on a budget. I don't think shaper even works until you have creation and control for SMC/clone chip

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Elizabeth Mills posted:

I don't feel the need to indulge in twenty turns of useless flailing if I've lost, but I do explain that I have no outs and congratulate my opponent before conceding

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah if I think there’s no real way of winning I’ll usually go “So I don’t really have any answers to what you’ve got, I’m just gunna conceded out gg” or something similar. Sure, maybe I could luck into three agendas on a hail mary R&D run, but it’s probably not gunna happen, and if it’s not at a literal tournament why bother?

Sure, totally understand that. I think that's ok, but its the people that get sweary or moan about your "degenerate" deck or something. Seriously, a guy running Skorpios and a bunch of Arc Lockdowns said that about my lucky draw with an Edward Kim deck. Maybe I am in the minority where I still sort of enjoy Netrunner even when I lose all the time.

I wish Jinteki.net had an ignore or friend list, so I can add these salty fellas to it each time, there is one guy I have definitely accidentally played a few times and he is always like this.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
You can block users in settings

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

sonatinas posted:

You can block users in settings

:captainpop:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

I wish Jinteki.net had an ignore or friend list, so I can add these salty fellas to it each time, there is one guy I have definitely accidentally played a few times and he is always like this.
Friends list plugin

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

mitochondritom posted:

Have I got good news for you:
https://github.com/simons/jankteki

E: Check me out, top of the friends list, because si is an awesome guy I know IRL. :D

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This is supremely minor, but are there any quirks to the Jinteki Play screen background image? I have it set to 'monotone' in settings, but it still shows The Beanstalk (which I do not care for as a busy background picture.) The chosen background displays in game. Or, better yet, is there any way to put in a custom image? I used to use Tampermonkey to do it but that doesn't work with the new way the site is made up.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 7, 2018

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Thanks guys, should have figured there was something like that around.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Anarch image in the OP is broken.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

The Anarch image in the OP is broken.
:argh::arghfist: HACKERZZZZ

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Someone explain RNG Key to me like I am an idiot child. Why is it (supposedly) so good for Adam?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Play it with find the truth, run R&D, and always get the right answer. Because as the runner, you get to pick order, so you choose to let find the truth trigger, figure out what the top card of R&D is, and then you get to let RNG key to guess with 100% accuracy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well that's not very random at all!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Manipulating the RNG

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

It's more of a pseudo-random number generator, I guess.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I guess it should probably be called "RNG Seed" instead

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Don't underestimate that Adam also usually has a good idea of what you have in HQ, either through find the truth, NAT accesses or playing corporate defector. In the Adam games where I've played RNG Key I get just as much money/draw off HQ runs as R&D runs, usually swapping over to R&D as my first run in the late game where I am in R&D lock mode.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What's Adams R&D dig tool of choice, now that RNG Key is antisinergistic with Top Hat?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lichtenstein posted:

What's Adams R&D dig tool of choice, now that RNG Key is antisinergistic with Top Hat?

Why does Adam need a dig tool when he can just lock you with Find the Truth?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Yeah, find the truth is all the dig tool you need.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
How well does this game capture the feel of its worldbuilding? I remember reading on No Fun Allowed how the Android board game lost basically all immersion while Arkham Horror managed to keep up the thematic elements, more or less. The Arkham LCG does a pretty great job of things, so I'm curious if this pulls off the cyberpunk setting.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Because if the corp lucks out and withstands your rush by simple virtue of having the agendas somewhere deep it can get awfully glaciery and sad.

I suppose accepting weak late game is part of the decision to pick Adam in the first place, but I really liked having a little something as either a contingency for the game going long, or a tool to really exploit the good times and don't let the game go long in the first place. You all know those games where you keep running at HQ you know holds nothing of value only to keep revealing non-agendas in R&D and slowly watch the corp get their poo poo together.

Or perhaps a singleton Top Hat was simply too cheap to resist slotting in.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

e: regarding theme:

(IMO) very, very well, particularly on the Corp side of things. The cards are usually strongly typed to whatever the Corp is meant to be unstoppable at in-setting, to the point where sometimes when you look at a new card you'll just kind of smirk, like oh of course Jinteki would pull something like this. Runners seem a little more nebulous but even then, at least all the Event cards come across well, and the flavor text on programs, hardware and whatever else does a great job of building a vibe.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

How well does this game capture the feel of its worldbuilding? I remember reading on No Fun Allowed how the Android board game lost basically all immersion while Arkham Horror managed to keep up the thematic elements, more or less. The Arkham LCG does a pretty great job of things, so I'm curious if this pulls off the cyberpunk setting.

It's insanely thematic, ridiculously thematic, like the whole reason I picked up the game was how well it incarnates its theme. Even the physical arrangement of the cards on the table is thematic. The corp sits behind walls of security software defending rows of servers: every server a little secret or asset the runner needs to break into. The runner has a little panel of tools and software to get through those obstacles. And they're frantically tallying their money to make sure the corporation can't backtrack their last run and drop a cruise missile through their window.

When you get to the higher levels of the competitive metagame you'll find some frustrating strategies which rely mostly on sidestepping the core tension of "runner attempts to break into a server while the corp tries to lure them into traps or unbreakable defensive software", but that doesn't stop the game from being a marvel of mechanical-fictional synchronicity.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

A caveat to corps being thematic is that like half of NBN cards make little sense, or are left as completely undefined Cool Sounding Names.

What the hell is Project Beale and why is it so potentially worthwhile? What did Midseason Replacements ever had to do with its effect? What is the thematic meaning of Hatchet Job? And so on.

Having said that, the game never really had any particular drop in its evocativeness. People probably just got used to stringing their combos for all these years.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

A caveat to corps being thematic is that like half of NBN cards make little sense, or are left as completely undefined Cool Sounding Names.

This sounds pretty NBN in and of itself.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I like a lot of the corp cards that show the darker side of things. Weyland has an upcoming agenda that's just "we have rigged everything we're building in this incredibly profitable contract to explode, just in case" and that's incredible.

That said, we need the more clean ones as a contrast. I miss Jackson Howard's smile. :(

Also the best runner card thematically is either the one with Adam holding the bloody hammer in his hand with the text "he was free" or Day Job.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Midseasons is that the runner revealed /stole what was going to be broadcast (the agenda) before it was put on the air, so NBN had to do a midseason replacement of the show. There’s then a really powerful trace with shitloads of tags because the runner revealed themselves to announce it or they were traced as they stole it. I guess.

Project Beale…VR News?? I guess???

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The novel Monitor shows Mideason Replacements as NBN turning the runner into a TV show in order to replace their stolen agenda/show/script.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Project Beale…VR News?? I guess???
Get some culture, nerds

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
A reference to Network means I'm basically committed to getting the game at this point. Probably a can of worms, but: do I go for the original or revised core?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

100% revised core. While some of the cards in the original core are near and dear to my heart (desperado, siphon), they greatly limited design space. Plus, there is no legacy-style format, so getting the original core would be a waste of money. The only reason why I'd suggest picking it up is if you're getting it as part of a collection from someone.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
I think hatchet job is the most straightforward reference of the NBN cards referenced honestly. Maybe it's confusing if you think it's about literal hatchets instead of a slang term?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

GladRagKraken posted:

I think hatchet job is the most straightforward reference of the NBN cards referenced honestly. Maybe it's confusing if you think it's about literal hatchets instead of a slang term?

It's the card going in, like, three different directions at the same time that kind of confuses me.

So, the title and effect are somewhat straightforward: so NBN dunks on you to put spoke in your wheel. It probably would make a bit more sense if limited to resources, but whatever, the card needs to be playable.

Then the art is some kind of a literal meaning joke? With some rando, contextless stock broker dude, rather than NBN dropping yet another special report or something?

Finally, there's the flavor text line referencing stock/commodities market manipulation. So it's not about going for the runner's throat, but rather crashing his bitcoin wallet or something? But it's not really an economic denial card? What does dumping TT credit have to do with uninstalling programs? Is this simply a poorly explained piece of the Fisk vs NBN motif? :psyduck:

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

It's the card going in, like, three different directions at the same time that kind of confuses me.

So, the title and effect are somewhat straightforward: so NBN dunks on you to put spoke in your wheel. It probably would make a bit more sense if limited to resources, but whatever, the card needs to be playable.

Then the art is some kind of a literal meaning joke? With some rando, contextless stock broker dude, rather than NBN dropping yet another special report or something?

Finally, there's the flavor text line referencing stock/commodities market manipulation. So it's not about going for the runner's throat, but rather crashing his bitcoin wallet or something? But it's not really an economic denial card? What does dumping TT credit have to do with uninstalling programs? Is this simply a poorly explained piece of the Fisk vs NBN motif? :psyduck:

Hatchet Jobs can be used on products as well. So NBN talks poo poo about something the runner bought, and the runner goes 'aw gently caress that' and tosses it or stops using it. In regards to the artwork, maybe you own something you bought through TT and you want to dump it before the TT credit crashes further. With the flavor text reference I think its pretty easy to figure out. Lots of companies bring out new products that might not do well, upon seeing it doesn't do well NBN stock broker shows tell people to dump that stock because why would you hold onto it with this horrible product released? So that Hatchet Job could have been attacking the product, which in turn allows the shows to tell people to drop the company's stock.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The art and flavor text are a reference to a Jim Cramer like "stock tips show" you dweebs

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Elizabeth Mills posted:

The art and flavor text are a reference to a Jim Cramer like "stock tips show" you dweebs
EM, I think we might be old.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Is Merger just like...profoundly bad? What am I missing there that makes a 3/2 with a runner kicker better than any other agenda in the game? Like, even a "bad" agenda that doesn't do much to win you the game is better than something that's such a liability for R&D, even in a FA deck. ...Right?

e: and NGO Front is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

3/2 are stupid good and post-rotation fast advance is supposed to have a bunch of extra obstacles thrown its way, including the scarcity of 3/2s.

That very same scarcity is supposed to make up the Merger's downside.