Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

TheAgent posted:

https://twitter.com/FacewareTech/status/961999438913982465
so wait, faceware was doing all the new rigging and mocap for star citizen? what the gently caress

lol just lol

good christ

Well, it's not like CIG/RSI/Foundry42 are going to actually PAY for extra licenses anyway... I guess it's not cool to sue 'family' like Crytek did, and face the Fire and Fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

I could kiss you. Let's rub instead.

BluesShaman posted:

I say mining will not be functional by the end of 2018.

Quote the poo poo out of this if you want.

On one hand I'm thinking mining is so simple even CIG could slap a couple mining nodes around their barren moons. On the other hand trying to add something that doesn't match backers original expectations ( 2015 Design Notes: Mining ) can get you burned. Its a gambit and mining kinda requires some decent inventory management they clearly don't have. The prospector was one of the worst selling ships of all time I believe.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 19, 2018

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah that happens to me a lot. It’s like my jawbone hurts more than anything else though.

Yeah, this seem abnormal, if my informal poll is any evidence.

I can have a mildly runny nose, an annoying cough, a painful sneeze, post nasal drip, burning eyes, but it's all fairly reasonable to deal with. But, my teeth hurt so bad I want somebody to take a pick axe to my face just to relieve the horror of how badly my teeth hurt.

FYI, ibuprofen is the best OTC for dental pain.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

I'm the codebase with so many shoddy hacks in it that they had to create their own system for tracking them.

I'm the coders that don't know that there are complete libraries that will do the job of tracking your hacks way better.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

I can have a mildly runny nose, an annoying cough, a painful sneeze, post nasal drip, burning eyes, but it's all fairly reasonable to deal with. But, my teeth hurt so bad I want somebody to take a pick axe to my face just to relieve the horror of how badly my teeth hurt.

Well, for what it’s worth my teeth were super hosed for like 20 years cause I was super poor and never went to a dentist. So that might have something to do with it. I also have TMJ and some other funky poo poo going on with my jaw so I probably don’t represent “typical” super well.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kosumo posted:

He was even a backer. He, at some stage was happy to give money to Chris Roberts to make his dream game with. Derek Smart believed in Chris Roberts to the point of almost the price of five $60 AAA games.

That's right, Derek wanted to play a new Chris Roberts game.

That's how good Derek's decision are.

Chris Roberts was Chris Roberts when he put out that kickstarter video yet many people here where dumb enough to give him many times the normal price of a computer game believing that he was a game developer.

From the day that LTI was offered this was a pay to win game, which many want to pay to win, if not an out right scam.

I gave him $250 :negative:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Did anyone say that Star Citizen was Kickfarted, yet?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

XK posted:

This happens to my wife who has teeth in good condition, apparently has something to do with her sinuses. Not pick axe bad though - that sounds unpleasant.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beet Wagon posted:

Well, for what it’s worth my teeth were super hosed for like 20 years cause I was super poor and never went to a dentist. So that might have something to do with it. I also have TMJ and some other funky poo poo going on with my jaw so I probably don’t represent “typical” super well.

:same:

Bad teeth buddy.

:(

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Apparently, men get colds and flu worse than women, and it's such a thing that it's called man-flu. Women think men are playing it up and acting like babies when they get a cold/flu. I can barely stand-up when I get a cold. It's no joke, ladies, we aren't playing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Rare concept art of virtual action figure, collectors edition*

*in-stock

AP fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 15, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Why does that commando have a plastic bag for a helmet?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/MOHbOyo.gifv

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

hot balls man no homo posted:

Lore posts are the smartest move made by the marketing team at CIG. Can't make the game work and show progress? Make up a bunch of bullshit stories about the universe and feed it to the brown see. Make a video about it and call it progress on the game. Let their fantasies run wild. Buy more ships.

To hear guys like AstroPub invoke the lore as real and substantive is to see the truth of this. The lore is almost completely extraneous to the game build. Levski feels slightly distinct, slightly legit, with its shantytown stylings and its memorial statue. But it’s too superficial, lifeless and disconnected from both itself and the game around it to feel authentic.

I mean come on:

The Lore posted:

Levski is a so called free-town located in the former QV Planet Services mining facility on Delamar in the Nyx System. It is occupied by political radicals with anti-UEE affiliations. (:lol:)

HISTORY

In 2655, a small group of activists sought to escape the totalitarianism of the Messers and found refuge in Delamar’s vacated mining facility. The remote location seemed an ideal stronghold in which to start again. They named the facility Levski in honor of an ancient Earth revolutionary who shared their dream of an egalitarian society.

As word of this ‘free town’ spread, many anti-Messer activists, intellectuals and pacifists found their way to Levski. They aspired to create an idyllic, leaderless society built around mutual responsibility. Unfortunately, the newly dubbed People’s Alliance engaged in an endless debate over how to achieve their goals.“

Yeah sure okay.

If Fallout 3 were only Megaton, if Red Dead Redemption only Armadillo, if Mass Effect only the Citadel, you’d still have so (forgive me) immersive a sense of place.

Megaton’s Atom bomb cultists, the hilariously grating merchant Moira, the walls built of scrap plane metal, Tenpenny’s henchman Burke hanging out at Moriarity’s Saloon... it all gives such a fantastic sense of place yet from the micro we also can infer the macro of the world outside of Megaton. Megaton is lore yet there’s lore to be found within it; so too with Armadillo and moreso the incredible Citadel. (What an embarrassment of riches the Codex was for lore-lovers...)

Levski is a tiny slice of in-game lore, with Miles Eckhart as the starring attraction — lifeless, brainless, yet the best CIG has to show for years of work. It’s on loan from Nyx to Stanton because it was more specific than anything else they could pull together, even though even the specificity is overtly derivative, and Miles is so obviously on unacknowledged loan from The Sopranos...

You can practically imagine Chris Roberts waving a James Gandolfini headshot in front of the face modeler for Miles Eckhart saying, “No no no — I still see too much Meller and not enough Soprano. I see a bloke who likes to play Risk, Miles needs to BE RISK. FIX IT!”

Modeler, cautiously, “I’m, I’m just a little worried about image appropriation. What if his estate sees this?”

Chris, “Gandolfini’s dead, his estate will never know.”

So the height of lore realization in 3.0 is a planetoid on loan from Nyx with a lead mission giver on loan from the Sopranos and it feels very much like what it is - a poor pastiche cobbled together hastily for cinematic purposes yet otherwise hardly alive. Tony Z. has prattled for years about their AI plans, the “lifelong relationships” players will have with them. Um, okay?

It’s obvious just how low a priority the realization of extraneous lore fictions are to Chris. There is no pipeline to fast track actualization from lore to game and there won’t be. So guys like AstroPub and Erris will keep their Galactipedias open as the traipse from one generic PG sphere to another. The development of tools will only help them put their placeholders together more rapidly. Bringing the Lore to life in the game is an entirely different challenge and probably down at the bottom of their endless “to do” right beside VR.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 15, 2018

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

AP posted:

Rare concept art of virtual action figure, collectors edition*

*in-stock

Getting ready for the furious laser kick I see.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

faceware.jpg

Which one is the real one? Tech nowadays is amazing!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

I would loving :toxx: if they complete even 50% of their goals by end of 2018

I am pretty drat sure that you just toxxed right there. Referees?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

XK posted:

You have an auto immune disease deficiency your immune system is attacking your dental nerves see a loving doctor fyi

XK
Jul 9, 2001

trucutru posted:

Everybody knows it's so outside of possibility that nobody cares. I'll eat my poop if CIG fulfills 50% of promises by end of year 2018.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Virtual Captain posted:

The backers demanded it

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

XK posted:

Get your teeth checked commando. Probably nothing but teeth infections can go right to the brain.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

reignofevil posted:

You have an auto immune disease deficiency fyi

I have an over-active immune system. I've never had an infected wound, not even slightly, no matter how bad the injury, and my immune system seems to like attacking my digestive tract, hence my pan-colitis.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

neonbregna posted:

The backers demanded it

Legatus Navium backers get a complimentary slice of lemon inside the helmet.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

For someone who helped lowtax start this site, he certainly doesn’t know much about how it works

He’s a cargo cult SA poster

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Dooguk posted:

3.01: The Judas Patch

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

They're getting to him. He's talking fondly about bitcoin...

his nibs posted:

In all honesty, if they complete their 2018 Road map, the game will be essentially done, the careers will be in place, the backbone of the vast array of planned ships will be done. 2019 and beyond will just be fleshing out the universe and adding additional ships.

Essentially everything left to do are the tasks that have been done before in other games, things that we know for a fact can be done. The hard part is pretty much over, Hell, lets assume that after they complete their 2018 road map then in 2019 say "gently caress it" and just apply a completely procedural generated universe like the one in ED, to what they already have (and will have by the end of the road map) then they have still created the greatest space sim yet.

Damnn, that's the guy who's gone Concierge since Nov 2017 :dogbutton:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Chris Roberts: Would you like this fun, totally awesome sounding feature?

Backer: Yeah, that sounds interesting.

Chris Roberts: The backers keep demanding more features and buying things that I chose to sell to them. I am a powerless participant in this brutal cycle of insane promises and feature creep.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

reignofevil posted:

your immune system is attacking your dental nerves see a loving doctor fyi

Probably the real thing. I'd like all my teeth pulled out, but all my research indicates that dentures suck, and implants are too expensive.

neonbregna posted:

Get your teeth checked commando. Probably nothing but teeth infections can go right to the brain.

I hate teeth.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Virtual Captain posted:

On one hand I'm thinking mining is so simple even CIG could slap a couple mining nodes around their barren moons. On the other hand trying to add something that doesn't match backers original expectations ( (url=https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14522-Star-Citizen-Careers-Mining]2015 Design Notes: Mining[/url] ) can get you burned. Its a gambit and mining kinda requires some decent inventory management they clearly don't have. The prospector was one of the worst selling ships of all time I believe.

Aww dammit. You mean they're not getting this??

It's only been 3 years exactly. I understand development.

(It just needs to go to taupe boxing now right?)

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 15, 2018

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The Saddest Robot posted:

Chris Roberts: Would you like this fun, totally awesome sounding feature?

Backer: Yeah, that sounds interesting.

Chris Roberts: The backers keep demanding more features and buying things that I chose to sell to them. I am a powerless participant in this brutal cycle of insane promises and feature creep.

The backers are creeps the management are creeps the features are creeps. It's creeps all the way down.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Virtual Captain posted:

So he asphyxiates in all environments, not just the elevators. Fidelity preserved!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Thoatse posted:

The backers are creeps the management are creeps the features are creeps. It's creeps all the way down.

It filters from the top :sandance:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Love thread. Many sorries.

(Not a repost, I changed a letter. Addiction to detail...)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

XK posted:

Everybody knows it's so outside of possibility that nobody cares. I'll eat my poop if CIG fulfills 50% of promises by end of year 2018.

Quoting the poo poo out of this! The thread must be fed!

Also poop pills can cure Ulcerative Colitis apparently, this could be win-win.

I think you have to eat someone else's poop for that though.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Pixelate posted:

Quoting the poo poo out of this! The thread must be fed!

Also poop pills can cure Ulcerative Colitis apparently, this could be win-win.

I think you have to eat someone else's poop for that though.

Yeah, that usually involves somebody else's poop. Also, I qualify for my state's (Pennsylvania) highly restrictive medical marijuana program. No smoking actual herb, just extracts. I'll have to figure out if I can justify out of pocket costs, because no insurance will cover it.

Usually, weed just makes me want to hide in a closet with the doors locked, but it does make my body feel good.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

It filters from the top :sandance:

Tickle down creeponomics

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

XK posted:

Yeah, that usually involves somebody else's poop. Also, I qualify for my state's (Pennsylvania) highly restrictive medical marijuana program. No smoking actual herb, just extracts. I'll have to figure out if I can justify out of pocket costs, because no insurance will cover it.

Usually, weed just makes me want to hide in a closet with the doors locked, but it does make my body feel good.

I believe Sandi has an uppers bag that can help with that...

But cool they dish up the pure cannabinoid stuff I think, that should be on the chiller end rather than skunk-style oh-poo poo-chris's-face-is-rotating-like-an-aztec-omen style thing. Have heard good things about the medical use for those on bowel issues for sure. Could be truly win-win...

Better get VC to put all the little promises back into the Tracker though. Only one who's eating poo poo in 2019 will be Chris...

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 15, 2018

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/963594545802948608

These types of tweets probably get to me more than any other kind. They're the most arrogant kind of lie - without outright saying it, CIG implies with tweets like this that not only is the game nearly complete, it's also got layers and layers of fully functional, deep features. "While most pilots view..." makes it sound like there's a healthy pilot community in this game who are so sophisticated that they have "views" on different aspects of the gameplay. The separate mentions of "fuel, arming, and repair" do well to hide that none of those systems are in the game, nor are they designed yet. "Saving credits and time" implies the existence of a sophisticated economy including the time/money underpinnings required to make financial decisions.

With just one bullshit tweet, CIG makes Star Citizen look like it's been done for years, rather than being a model-viewer with no game design document or plans for such. These people can't burn fast enough.

We haven't seen any documentation. Period. We don't know the scope of which they are trying to achieve either. Aside from the tracker, there's no black and white from CIG to even prove what has been scoped out for Release 1.0.

Lets look at Elite's Kickstarter

Elite KS posted:

Fight, trade, hunt your way across a giant galaxy of billions of star systems, starting with a basic starship and a few credits. You can make money from trading goods between the many star systems, by destroying pirate ships (and collecting bounty), or even by attacking traders and collecting their cargo (which in turn will get a bounty on your head!). There will be missions too, and exploration. Most people will do some combination of these things. Upgrade your ship and specialise in one activity - have a trader with a huge cargo bay, or use the space for weapons and maneuverability.
They've achieved and delivered most of not all of the above, and then some.

Star Citizen KS posted:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win

What?

Virtual Captain posted:

I could kiss you. Let's rub instead.

On one hand I'm thinking mining is so simple even CIG could slap a couple mining nodes around their barren moons. On the other hand trying to add something that doesn't match backers original expectations ( (url=https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14522-Star-Citizen-Careers-Mining]2015 Design Notes: Mining[/url] ) can get you burned. Its a gambit and mining kinda requires some decent inventory management they clearly don't have. The prospector was one of the worst selling ships of all time I believe.

The only mining that would probably be working in the game would be a BTC miner within the executable.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

quote != edit

XK fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Pixelate posted:

I believe Sandi has an uppers bag that can help with that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUhSYLRw14

XK fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 15, 2018