Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

that one is even more fabricated and homosexual. Volta is only 8 months old.

And the article that started the Turing rumour in the first place specifically says that Turing is a gaming GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

PerrineClostermann posted:

Apparently there's thought that Turing will replace Volta in the compute market, and Ampere will be the mass market.

I still don't expect new gpus till 2H of this year because amd can't do anything and nvidia has no reason to push out a new consumer card before then.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently the ampere and Turing thing are sourced from computerbase.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
When is a good time to buy into a new generation of graphics cards? Are there often hardware problems in the first wave that get resolved with subsequent ones, or is that not so much of a thing?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Koramei posted:

When is a good time to buy into a new generation of graphics cards? Are there often hardware problems in the first wave that get resolved with subsequent ones, or is that not so much of a thing?

Probably when they cost less than $1000 bux. Right now is just a bad time due to buttminers buying everything up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Apparently the ampere and Turing thing are sourced from computerbase.

The Turing thing is from Reuters and Computerbase is reporting on the rumor. Computerbase's source on Turing being a compute uarch is "my rear end".

quote:

The name indicates a professional GPU
In addition, the name Turing suggests less on a GPU for players, see the Turing test , but much more on a pro market oriented GPU for AI calculations. With a focus on deep learning , the in-house GTC fair would be a great fit again. Even if the rumor mill has not heard of a Turing called GPU or architecture.
https://www.computerbase.de/2018-02/nvidia-turing-rumor/

repiv posted:

And the article that started the Turing rumour in the first place specifically says that Turing is a gaming GPU.

People just love to poo poo on the idea that the gaming market will ever have nice things again, like some people seem to think that NVIDIA is just going to sit on their hands for the next 2 years and wait for AMD to rebound before releasing anything.

Some bitterness/black humor is understandable given how much we've gotten shafted over the last year though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 14, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Koramei posted:

Anytime. I cant even remember the last time there was a hardware issue with a release, even on day one. The only things that come to mind are badly made third party coolers but those are very specific models and brands, and rare all things considered. 280x MSI is the last big one I remember that literally did not function

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if nVidia didn't do a pre-order deal on Founder's Editions this time around.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Koramei posted:

NVIDIA's got their poo poo covered. If there's a major uarch change you might see some driver issues at first, but if it's Maxwell v3.0 then everything will be fine.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Wacky Delly posted:

I not putting it past nVidia to sandbag this generation and just improve power consumption and performance per watt or something. What's the competition going to do? Mine them to 1st place?

Nah they'd make more money by releasing new cards that would actually push people to upgrade.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I can confirm that slide is real

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
which is the gayest GPU, i must have it

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Koramei posted:

There's nothing wrong with buying early. If you have worries buy from a retailer/manufacturer with a good history of customer service. That way if you have a lemon you should have good luck getting a replacement that works.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Don Lapre posted:

I can confirm that slide is real

SOMETHINGAWFUL FORUMS CONFIRMS TURING LAUNCH JUNE 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

"leak" circulating around the net today:

for reference, a Titan Xp has 3840 CUDA cores, 1080 Ti has 3584, and Volta/Titan V has 5120

e: if we assume that 18Gbps ram is on a 384bit bus, we are looking at 864GB/s of bandwidth. Titan Xp has 547, Titan V has 652 (but its HBM)

to clarify this is probably horseshit, but fun to theorycraft

Yeah there's no way, why would they put 16gb of GDDR6 on a card when it's the most expensive thing for them and 8 is already overkill? Also, have they ever put "(on air)" specs on their marketing slides before?

Edit: probably more than 50% of the market for these don't have 16gb of actual ram, nevermind vram

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

which is the gayest GPU, i must have it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27W_TelL128

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Zero VGS posted:

Also, have they ever put "(on air)" specs on their marketing slides before?

Dont believe so but they did say it a lot during the 1080ti launch

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

as a gaymer im really not sure how i feel about this but yeah id probably buy a limited edition rainbow gpu

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

buglord posted:

as a gaymer im really not sure how i feel about this but yeah id probably buy a limited edition rainbow gpu

I'm glad to know one iota of my 1070 went to supporting mainstream acceptable capitalism for gay men!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
It's fake. As someone else pointed out, those specs would be around 18 TFLOPS not 15.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

buglord posted:

the RGB movement is actually gay propaganda

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

the RGB movement is actually gay propaganda

Those motherboards and keyboards do kinda blast rainbows across the room by default. I have no idea how counterstrike bros aren't instantly made insecure by this. I'm gay and I think it's a bit much.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Arivia posted:

I'm glad to know one iota of my 1070 went to supporting mainstream acceptable capitalism for gay men!

Greed trumps conservatism.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah there's no way, why would they put 16gb of GDDR6 on a card when it's the most expensive thing for them and 8 is already overkill? Also, have they ever put "(on air)" specs on their marketing slides before?

8GB might already be overkill for most people, but in the slow march that is the GPU wars (or, really, NVidia playing against itself these days), you have to keep upping the spec sheet for people to care, even if it isn't strictly necessary. And these things are gonna be priced to the moooooon! regardless of RAM, because at least for the moment they loving can.

The 780 Ti had 3GB VRAM, the 980 4GB.
The 980 Ti had 6GB VRAM, the 1080 8GB.
The 1080 Ti has 11GB VRAM...

...so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the 1180 popping in at 12GB or so. 16GB does seem like too much for the *80 part, but 14-16GB would not be insane for the Titan part, considering the Titan XP has 12GB already.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
8 GB will continue to be fine for at least one more generation, except for doing stupid poo poo that would have tanked your framerate anyway. The question is whether GDDR6 is fast enough to feed a 2080/1180, or whether they will need to go wider on the bus to get bandwidth up.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Kind of a dumb question, but why has GPU memory remained relatively low compared to what you can build into a PC. Meaning I can get 64GB easy for a PC, why don’t we see 64GB GPUs?

I’m sure there’s a simple explanation that I’m missing but it’s always been one of those “I wonder” type questions.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Because RAM is insanely expensive right now

There's also not that much need for that much VRAM, diminishing returns on performance.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

tehinternet posted:

Kind of a dumb question, but why has GPU memory remained relatively low compared to what you can build into a PC. Meaning I can get 64GB easy for a PC, why don’t we see 64GB GPUs?

I’m sure there’s a simple explanation that I’m missing but it’s always been one of those “I wonder” type questions.

Because RAM isn't cheap. Particularly now, RAM is stupid expensive, so there's a strong economic pressure to only stick on there what's actually useful, rather than overdoing it. And, as it turns out, you really don't need that much for almost any game out there. At 1080p, you'd be hard pressed to find a game that uses much over 4GB. At 4k, things aren't much worse, with only a few games topping 6GB. The 11GB on the 1080 Ti is, frankly, a hilarious waste for today's games, and probably for the next several years. 16GB would be the realm of >8k or funky VR/stereoscopic stuff.

The only place gobs of VRAM makes sense is in some very specific compute workloads, and there you're probably talking about Tesla-type cards where an extra $100-200 for more RAM is a drop in the bucket compared to the $10,000 base price.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tehinternet posted:

Before these past two or three generations you didn't really need a lot of memory. Until we started doing high res textures and insane resolutions, you didn't need more than 2gb of VRAM until recently.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

tehinternet posted:

You can get 32GB of RAM on current gen Professional cards, and I'm sure next gen will have 64GB or more.

You don't get that much RAM on gaming cards because games don't need it.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Koramei posted:

Prices have come down a bit but is still high. Best deal right now is a 1060 6GB in stock from newegg for close to msrp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1060-DirectX-12-GTX-1060-6G-OCV1-6GB-192-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3/292052350949

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

DrDork posted:

At 1080p, you'd be hard pressed to find a game that uses much over 4GB. At 4k, things aren't much worse, with only a few games topping 6GB. The 11GB on the 1080 Ti is, frankly, a hilarious waste for today's games, and probably for the next several years. 16GB would be the realm of >8k or funky VR/stereoscopic stuff.
I caught the newish Dishonored and Tomb Raider games using over 4GB VRAM at 1900x1200 with all the settings turned up, but I can't imagine much would use over 8GB at that resolution.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Gamesguy posted:

Prices have come down a bit but is still high. Best deal right now is a 1060 6GB in stock from newegg for close to msrp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-GeForce-GTX-1060-DirectX-12-GTX-1060-6G-OCV1-6GB-192-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3/292052350949

That's not at all what the question was. The best time to buy a new generation of graphics cards is a few months after the launch when the public has identified problems with coolers/boards, and they're available enough in stores that you can buy them without getting reamed. The next best time is when the *80ti comes out since you can choose between that, the baddest-rear end card, or a used *70 or *80 that people are upgrading from.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
IMO the best time to buy anything PC is the earliest when they get near MSRP, because every manufacturer has moved to just-in-time production where holding excess inventory is a censored four letter word.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

That's not at all what the question was. The best time to buy a new generation of graphics cards is a few months after the launch when the public has identified problems with coolers/boards, and they're available enough in stores that you can buy them without getting reamed. The next best time is when the *80ti comes out since you can choose between that, the baddest-rear end card, or a used *70 or *80 that people are upgrading from.

Unless he was asking a pure theoretical, this is irrelevant. Currently the best time to buy a graphics card is whenever buttcoin prices crash and you can find a card, any card, for close to MSRP.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
My GTX 970 settlement just arrived at long last. God bless Nvidia and 3.5GB-gate.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

cerious posted:

My GTX 970 settlement just arrived at long last. God bless Nvidia and 3.5GB-gate.

Curious, how much :10bux: did you get out from it?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My favourite theory at the moment is that Turing will be a line of cryptocurrency focused GPUs. NVIDIA has the capacity to saturate that market and leave Ampere for gamers. Plus Turing is probably the most well known cryptographer so it's fits thematically.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In light of dram prices, nvidia probably doesn't have the capacity to saturate poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

People just love to poo poo on the idea that the gaming market will ever have nice things again, like some people seem to think that NVIDIA is just going to sit on their hands for the next 2 years and wait for AMD to rebound before releasing anything.

Some bitterness/black humor is understandable given how much we've gotten shafted over the last year though.

I swear I've heard this a thousand times before but with Intel instead of Nvidia :v: